• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Melee Tech: The Bomb Rocket

new-melee-tech-the-bomb-rocket.png

Whether you’re excited about the newest iteration of Smash Summit or still riding the high of Zain’s rise to the top ten, it’s hard to deny that it’s an amazing time for Super Smash Bros. Melee. Believe it or not, Melee turns 17 years old next month, and despite its old age, players like Joseph “Savestate” El-Khouri are still finding new techniques on a seemingly regular basis. The latest discovery, which Savestate generously shared on his twitter, is called “The Bomb Rocket.”

The Melee Links seem to have a proclivity for techniques that launch them upwards at insane speeds and “The Bomb Rocket” is no different. The technique takes advantage of Link’s ability to stack two types of velocities: his general movement derived velocity, and the velocity from bomb blasts. Doing this can launch Link upwards at an alarmingly fast speed. What separates this technique from similar tech like the Boomerang Super Jump is that Link can implement it on command, making it a much more consistent method of attacking someone near the top blast zone.

The technique’s competitive viability is yet to be seen, and frankly, it probably won’t do much to improve Link’s relatively low placement on the tier list, but it is both amazing and exciting to watch Melee as it continues to grow and change before our eyes, even after years of development.

Michael "SuperCres" Ashby

Comments

That's funny. I wonder how much more stuff could be found with other characters? And I'm wondering if this would have been found out a lot earlier if more people had focused more time on lower tier characters.

Am quite amazed by this, it's been 17 years and still new techniques are discovered. It's both testimony to Melee's deep gameplay, and glitches. It's beautiful.

It won't make Link Top Tier, or higher tier, but it's cool nonetheless.

Broken Melee at it's finest. XD

Seems like a cool technique, although it probably would do very little for both Links in viability.

Last edited:
D
I love hearing commitment. People wouldn't figure stuff like this out if it wasn't for people like this guy. Mad respect for Zain.

View attachment 172110

Whether you’re excited about the newest iteration of Smash Summit or still riding the high of Zain’s rise to the top ten, it’s hard to deny that it’s an amazing time for Super Smash Bros. Melee. Believe it or not, Melee turns 17 years old next month, and despite its old age, players like Joseph “Savestate” El-Khouri are still finding new techniques on a seemingly regular basis. The latest discovery, which Savestate generously shared on his twitter, is called “The Bomb Rocket.”

The Melee Links seem to have a proclivity for techniques that launch them upwards at insane speeds and “The Bomb Rocket” is no different. The technique takes advantage of Link’s ability to stack two types of velocities: his general movement derived velocity, and the velocity from bomb blasts. Doing this can launch Link upwards at an alarmingly fast speed. What separates this technique from similar tech like the Boomerang Super Jump is that Link can implement it on command, making it a much more consistent method of attacking someone near the top blast zone.

The technique’s competitive viability is yet to be seen, and frankly, it probably won’t do much to improve Link’s relatively low placement on the tier list, but it is both amazing and exciting to watch Melee as it continues to grow and change before our eyes, even after years of development.
Nice, I should try it out, it looks fun

D
I think you meant to say "exploit" instead of "tech"

Theres no difference, a tech would work in this situation as most tech in melee are exploits and glitches anyway
way I see it personally, I've grown to view an exploit as just the action, where the tech(nique) is an applied use of an action.

for instance, contrary to narrow minded players who view exploits as illegal, we all should know already that wavedashing is an exploit of how the air dodging works. it became a tech when people starting using it as a sort of quick-step maneuver in place of rolling.

only real application I can see for this exploit is just as the gif shows, to be a one-off high air chase option. now if someone can somehow set it up so that it can work offstage, that might be a different story... it's cool, though, I'll give it that...

Last edited:
Between this and the Bullet-Time Bounce tech in Breath of the Wild, you could say Link has really been getting around these days.

17 years and crazy techs are still being found.
It should be a testament of how horribly bugged this game is. Those techs are cool and all to discover, and the meta evolves in very interesting ways for sure, but from a coding standpoint, Melee is REALLY bad.

It should be a testament of how horribly bugged this game is. Those techs are cool and all to discover, and the meta evolves in very interesting ways for sure, but from a coding standpoint, Melee is REALLY bad.
Let go of your vendetta against Melee.

Yes there’s some bugs and glitches, but still a good chunk of what made Melee such a good game was intended.

Brawl had far more glitches and bugs used in its competitive scene, but I don’t see folks bringing that up. Dead or not it relied far more heavily on glitches than Melee did.

Likewise even smash 4 has glitches and exploits people use to their advantage. But it’s always Melee that people try to **** on for glitches and exploits. I know some folks are grouchy that Melee continues to bring players and viewers as a competitive game, but this continued hate of it is pointless, let it go.

Yes there’s some bugs and glitches, but still a good chunk of what made Melee such a good game was intended.

Brawl had far more glitches and bugs used in its competitive scene, but I don’t see folks bringing that up. Dead or not it relied far more heavily on glitches than Melee did.

Likewise even smash 4 has glitches and exploits people use to their advantage. But it’s always Melee that people try to **** on for glitches and exploits. I know some folks are grouchy that Melee continues to bring players and viewers as a competitive game, but this continued hate of it is pointless, let it go.
People are grouchy that some Melee players don't stop treating the game like it's the holy grail.

strictly speaking its not a "new" mechanic just applying a well document universal mechanic in a way link can setup solo

I don't hate it. I just say that if MORE glitches are still being discover 17 years later, it is a testament of just how many there are, and thus from a programming standpoint it's pretty badly coded.

I don't hate it. I just say that if MORE glitches are still being discover 17 years later, it is a testament of just how many there are, and thus from a programming standpoint it's pretty badly coded.
I don't wanna get in the middle of this conversation but i think you should know that this game was coded in part by SATORU IWATA...
My dear sir, that statement should get you Permabanned from anything internetz related.
Have a good day :pikachumelee:

I don't wanna get in the middle of this conversation but i think you should know that this game was coded in part by SATORU IWATA...
My dear sir, that statement should get you Permabanned from anything internetz related.
Have a good day :pikachumelee:
It's obvious programming part of the game had to be rushed. It's not a sign of incompetence, it's just a reason why you shouldn't try to make a game like Smash in pretty much one year.

Damn it took 20 years to figure out rocket jumping? Maybe some Quake and Halo players can help advance the meta a bit faster.

Damn it took 20 years to figure out rocket jumping? Maybe some Quake and Halo players can help advance the meta a bit faster.
Those people did (bomb jump). Also this tech would take them a good chunk of time to figure out as it required link to blow himself up twice not the typical once in Quake or Halo.

Top Bottom