• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New mechanics you'd like to see. (No wavedashing and L cancelling discussion)

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Honestly I would like a way to activate the Crowd Cheering in play for fun. Only could be used once or twice per match though.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Honestly I would like a way to activate the Crowd Cheering in play for fun. Only could be used once or twice per match though.
That'd be pretty sweet.
You could use it if you pull of a sick combo, or to make fun of yourself if you totally mess up and SD.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
That'd be pretty sweet.
You could use it if you pull of a sick combo, or to make fun of yourself if you totally mess up and SD.

It would be just like a secret taunt thing, kind of like Snakes or the Spacies.
But it would have no animation or anything and could be done anywhere as long as you arent attacking.

Id use it to cancel out my opponents :)

grizby2

Smash Lord
Being able to inflict any status at random is really not as great as knowing exactly what you will get and using that properly.

Random? you mean like how you can clearly see what pikmin is going to be used next for olimars attack? and the fact that you can put them in order with his Down special?

sure you cant choose what pikmin he'll dig out from the ground, but in terms of USING the pikmin and knowing the order that they'll be used in, I wouldn't call that random.

id like to see team throws, so I can toss my team mate like a falcon to go in for the kill! :falconmelee:

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
Throw teching, if 2 players grab at the same time they get sent into a techable state.

And dash specials.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The opponent punch: A message appears on the screen inviting you to punch your opponent IRL. They are legally not allowed to press charges.

But seriously, a mechanic that allows heavyweights to completely shrug off certain small attacks.

The best way to beat Bowser, DK, etc. should NOT be to simply get up in their faces and pepper them with weak attacks. You should need to dodge and punish as well as evade to take one of them down.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
"Better" Water Physics.
When landing in the water everything should work the same way as if there was no water, only slower, and with a splash(es), of course.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Item stealing: grab an opponent to attempt to wrestle the item away from your opponent. Priority goes to heavier character (or it could be whoever button mashes faster XD)

D

Deleted member

A tactical move for each character that can only be used once per match. (or maybe once per stock)
You mean like the Bursts in Blazblue and Guilty Gear?

Hardly useful in Smash where combos are rather short.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Random? you mean like how you can clearly see what pikmin is going to be used next for olimars attack? and the fact that you can put them in order with his Down special?

sure you cant choose what pikmin he'll dig out from the ground, but in terms of USING the pikmin and knowing the order that they'll be used in, I wouldn't call that random.

id like to see team throws, so I can toss my team mate like a falcon to go in for the kill! :falconmelee:
Against a decent opponent, you're not going to be having enough time to yourself reordering Pikmin, you will be busy defending yourself against your enemy. For all practical purposes, in mid-combat where you actually inflict the status, I consider Pikmin pulls to be closer to random than to controlled.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Against a decent opponent, you're not going to be having enough time to yourself reordering Pikmin, you will be busy defending yourself against your enemy. For all practical purposes, in mid-combat where you actually inflict the status, I consider Pikmin pulls to be closer to random than to controlled.

High-level Olimar players order their Pikmin all the time. I've definitely seen Dabuz and Denti do it.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
^Following up with an edgeguard to make sure your opponent dies is usually probably going to be more important to the Olimar player than seeing what the following element is going to be. Hit them off the edge at enough % and it doesn't really matter what element you hit them with.

High-level Olimar players order their Pikmin all the time. I've definitely seen Dabuz and Denti do it.
Then high-level Olimar players deserve some sort of reward for their ability to order on the fly while not losing tempo during the match. Doing the additional micro needed to control Olimar's elements should let the player reap the reward. No real problem with Olimar being able to access most of the elemental effects I created.

Still too good? Then just reduce the power of the moves or something. I don't think the elemental circle is inherently broken just because one character has a particular affinity for it.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Power meter. Hitting opponents/Defending against attacks and even a slight bit from being hit increases it. Once it's full, you can perhaps include on additional input on things like Smashes to make them even stronger, or add special effects to them, or even change the smash completely. (Forward+A+B?) I dunno, just an idea.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
How about a back special? A move you can use for defensive terms that can allow you to combo in front of you and then attack from behind without turning your back to the other opponent. I could see maybe a standard too, that way you can strategically throw mines and items at opponents behind you. For instance:

Mario could pluck a POW Block from the ground and throw it behind him.
Luigi could use his Poltergust's Strobulb.
Olimar could rearrange his Pikmin (the more he presses, the more spots the Pikmin move back).
Link could pull out a slingshot and launch some Deku Nuts behind him.
Samus could spin and send out an Ice Beam.
Mega Man could use the Rolling Cutter.

And it continues.

Groose

Smash Champion
How about a back special? A move you can use for defensive terms that can allow you to combo in front of you and then attack from behind without turning your back to the other opponent. I could see maybe a standard too, that way you can strategically throw mines and items at opponents behind you. For instance:

Olimar could rearrange his Pikmin (the more he presses, the more spots the Pikmin move back).

And it continues.

I think that would be very interesting. I don't want another full attack button as that could make things too complicated for a "Smash" title; a back special would add some more strategy and reinvigorate every veteran by bestowing a new move upon them.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Power meter. Hitting opponents/Defending against attacks and even a slight bit from being hit increases it. Once it's full, you can perhaps include on additional input on things like Smashes to make them even stronger, or add special effects to them, or even change the smash completely. (Forward+A+B?) I dunno, just an idea.
what is this, playstation all stars?
I love the crowd idea. Maybe not something you can activate, but something that you can better control, like not getting hit and KO's 4 opponents. And there could be a crowd mode, where the sole way to win would be to do things to please the crowd, not getting damaged, hitting specials and smashes, and getting KO's are just some of the ways you can win over the crowd. Although it made be similar to points.

Micinity

Smash Rookie
^Following up with an edgeguard to make sure your opponent dies is usually probably going to be more important to the Olimar player than seeing what the following element is going to be. Hit them off the edge at enough % and it doesn't really matter what element you hit them with.

Then high-level Olimar players deserve some sort of reward for their ability to order on the fly while not losing tempo during the match. Doing the additional micro needed to control Olimar's elements should let the player reap the reward. No real problem with Olimar being able to access most of the elemental effects I created.

Still too good? Then just reduce the power of the moves or something. I don't think the elemental circle is inherently broken just because one character has a particular affinity for it.
As an Olimar main myself it seems to me you have little idea over how much control you can(and must) have over your Pikmin in a match, both in terms of order and type. Brawl is already a fairly defensive/punish game which hews greatly to his playstyle. You will be killing hundreds of the little fellas through-out a match, farming them down, and setting up the right Pikmin for the right move is what their play-style is all about. YES, it matters, whether or not you use your up+air with a yellow or a blue; yes it matters whether or not you stick your opponent with a white Pikmin over a red, and it definitely matters whether or not you grab your opponent with a sneaky purple pikmin for a good throw finish. If your Olimar is about anything OTHER than keeping tabs on your Pikmin, and ordering them in-between pivot grabs, spaced f-airs, etc., you are going to be a fairly unsuccessful Olimar player. Every Pikmin has its own advantages with different moves, whether it be angles, health, or range(watch out for my blue grab!) What's great about his options isn't that they're exactly random, it's that you're population control, and that what move you're about to do with what Pikmin is something you should've already been thinking of six pikmin before that. When you're edge-guarding with Olimar, you're not just edgeguarding, you're choosing who and what to edge-guard with(great time to throw some at your enemy you don't want!) So it'd be really appreciated if you didn't start throwing out presumptions on what a player is worried about and what his character is capable of in a match, otherwise you look kinda like a jackass.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
As an Olimar main myself it seems to me you have little idea over how much control you can(and must) have over your Pikmin in a match, both in terms of order and type. Brawl is already a fairly defensive/punish game which hews greatly to his playstyle. You will be killing hundreds of the little fellas through-out a match, farming them down, and setting up the right Pikmin for the right move is what their play-style is all about. YES, it matters, whether or not you use your up+air with a yellow or a blue; yes it matters whether or not you stick your opponent with a white Pikmin over a red, and it definitely matters whether or not you grab your opponent with a sneaky purple pikmin for a good throw finish. If your Olimar is about anything OTHER than keeping tabs on your Pikmin, and ordering them in-between pivot grabs, spaced f-airs, etc., you are going to be a fairly unsuccessful Olimar player. Every Pikmin has its own advantages with different moves, whether it be angles, health, or range(watch out for my blue grab!) What's great about his options isn't that they're exactly random, it's that you're population control, and that what move you're about to do with what Pikmin is something you should've already been thinking of six pikmin before that. When you're edge-guarding with Olimar, you're not just edgeguarding, you're choosing who and what to edge-guard with(great time to throw some at your enemy you don't want!) So it'd be really appreciated if you didn't start throwing out presumptions on what a player is worried about and what his character is capable of in a match, otherwise you look kinda like a *******.

I am distinctly aware that Olimar can control the order of his Pikmin. I am merely trying to point out that there is not always time to do so, nor is it always in his best interest. It's not 100% random in every instance, but nor is it all completely controlled in every instance. I'm sorry if you believe this makes me seem presumptuous, but I still don't understand what Brawl Olimar has to do with the upcoming game other than that he will make another appearance.

This thread is about what people may want in the new game, not Brawl. Admittedly, I played modded Brawl (+ and -) during most of my late battles, so my vanilla Brawl knowledge is rusty. But it's still enough for me to know if the game is sped up and defensive play is not the emphasis, it becomes clear apparent that there is less time to be had standing still to reorder Pikmin. And this is what the new game will be like. Not as fast as Melee but not as slow as Brawl. The time spent not going after the enemy for a combo or a kill after you send them off or near the edge is time wasted. Unless the new Pikmin gain more properties like delayed hit, lingering frames, etc. to trick your recovering opponent.

Anyways, I stand by my opinion about the elemental statuses. There are no readily visible problems other than some that may need ironing out on Olimar.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

And it continues.
Google alpha counters in fighting games. It's a similar idea to what you're talking about. It's a technique where you perform a certain move as you're blocking with the cost of meter to kill pressure.
I think that would be very interesting. I don't want another full attack button as that could make things too complicated for a "Smash" title; a back special would add some more strategy and reinvigorate every veteran by bestowing a new move upon them.
How would another attack button make things complicated?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Not really a mechanic, but I't be great if you could set the appear-chance of a specific item, the same way you can with the music in Brawl:

Groose

Smash Champion
Giving each character a complete extra set of new moves would create a lot more options. Controlling my main is almost instinctive and I know what move works in what situation. Add in an extra set of moves (at least four or five of them) and things become less simplistic. Smash, unlike most fighting games, is a fairly simplistic affair and that's exactly the way I like it.

Not to mention that adding an extra attack button would mean a ton of work to be done on already existing characters. They'd all play much differently than before. Plus, it would leave less time to work on new characters, probably resulting in a smaller roster.

D

Deleted member

I think that, while swimming, you can attack and the amount of damage you have will affect how fast and how powerful the attack is.

One mechanic that I wish was going to be in the game but was confirmed not to is turning off stage hazards...

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Giving each character a complete extra set of new moves would create a lot more options. Controlling my main is almost instinctive and I know what move works in what situation. Add in an extra set of moves (at least four or five of them) and things become less simplistic. Smash, unlike most fighting games, is a fairly simplistic affair and that's exactly the way I like it.

Not to mention that adding an extra attack button would mean a ton of work to be done on already existing characters. They'd all play much differently than before. Plus, it would leave less time to work on new characters, probably resulting in a smaller roster.

Which is exactly why a back special could work. Just adding in a new input on both attack buttons would be a lot easier than adding a whole new attack button. It would only do minimal changes to the character (maybe even add moves that were removed, I can see Mario & Bowser benefiting from this) while still spicing up the game.

Also, special bonuses should return.

And the ability to choose more than one character as CPUs in Training Mode.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Google alpha counters in fighting games. It's a similar idea to what you're talking about. It's a technique where you perform a certain move as you're blocking with the cost of meter to kill pressure.

While that is similar in concept, I mean just tilting the analog stick backwards while pressing the standard/special button to perform an attack behind of you, either being to stop an enemy behind you (Kirby performing the Suplex move to grab behind him and do his U-Throw), a strategical move that helps you make a better attack plan (rearranging Olimar's Pikmin to get the Pikmin you want to throw) or just add another move to the character (giving Mario the Mario Tornado again or giving Bowser his Koopa Klaw that now performs a manlier version of a kittenswipe instead of a straight-forward grab). This adds much more variety to the Smash scene, making better combos, better strategies and better fan service.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Different A.I. for each color of each character.
Samples: Peach in white dress is very defensive while Peach in red dress is very agressive. Classic Wario is an items hog while Biker Wario aims just to the opponents.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Different A.I. for each color of each character.
Samples: Peach in white dress is very defensive while Peach in red dress is very agressive. Classic Wario is an items hog while Biker Wario aims just to the opponents.
Just put on Classic Wario level 9 CPU and disable all items. :troll: But I've been thinking about this lately.. What if.. If someone's holding a ledge, like at the edge of FD, and you can grab their legs or something? I could list out so many ways that this would be awesome. You could hang on to the other player and pull them down and suddenly.. METEOR SMASH!!

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I hope Sakurai does a 180 and gives us tripping. To make it better, we can trip in the air.:troll:

But seriously, I want to be able to air dodge, or do an aerial and still be able to fall through platforms. Not sure if anyone else posted this, because I didn't read other posts.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
An Air Dodge between Melee and Brawl.

No Free Fall like in Melee, and no spamming like in Brawl.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
An Air Dodge between Melee and Brawl.

No Free Fall like in Melee, and no spamming like in Brawl.
Brawl air dodge where you can only use it once? I'd be fine with that.

Top Bottom