• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

prem

Smash Apprentice
how are you doing dacus? if its down on c stick then up +z at the same time (this is how i do it and i believe he standard method) if you grab it means you pressed up before down on cstick. it could also be too fast but im not guaranteed on that one. just gotta time it so that you press down on the stick before the other 2 buttons at the exact same time.

as for djc pk freeze it just means youarent pressing the second jump fast enough

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Good that you can wavedash. That's essential for his wave magnet stuff and movement in neutral. Without Lcancels, Lucas is very hard to play at top levels given that he has poor auto cancel windows (see Marth's Fair, Fox's Bair, etc).

As for DACUS, I set my R trigger to Attack. This give a slightly easier time on your finger (trying to hit a button is already hard enough on your fingers, and the Z button will begin to hurt even more over time). Also, if you whiff a DACUS attempt and dash attack rather than grab, there's way less punishable frames and dash attack sometimes has the potential to hit your opponent by mistake.

If you're accidentally doing dash grabs as you say, try to make sure you hit the dash attack (Cstick input) then up. Slow down the grab input. I used debug mode at the beginning of 3.5 after DACUS windows were changed for Lucas. It helps you break down frame data and understand DACUS better.

In Project M, his side special is called "PK Freeze," PKF for short. DJC PKF simply requires a slight tap of the 2nd jump input, rather than holding the jump button while using a side special. I can't say too much more than that as I don't know what your inputs look like in-game. If you provide video, I might be of more assistance.

ilysm

sleepy
My main problem with DACUS is that I do the inputs too fast. Make sure you think about each button press. Down on the C-Stick to dash attack. Then immediately after Up + Z to cancel the dash attack into an up-smash. As for DJC PK Freeze, for the longest time I couldn't take my finger off of Y to hit B in time, to I set my R to special attack and immediately got far more consistent. The input is Y -> Y -> R, tapping Y pretty lightly. But really you just need to grind it out in training mode. A few minutes does wonders. ^_^

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Optimal being a term to use loosely. Obviously if you're perfect, then default/custom controls will not make a difference. I use Attack rather than Grab because the 1 frame difference was removed in 3.0 / 3.5 which means that using attack or grab doesn't affect timing. And like I said, accidentally dash attacking vs dash grabbing is wayyyy safer being that nobody is perfect and people will mess up DACUS from time to time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom