• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Link Tech? Back-throwing a bomb with no turnaround.

Savestate

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. Earlier today when I was messing around in debug mode, I managed to figure out how to back-throw a bomb without any turnaround. If this has already been discovered please say so, but I haven't seen it anywhere else as of yet...

Pretty much, all you gotta do is airdodge (with a bomb in hand) either down and backwards, or just backwards right before you hit the ground, and within the first 4 frames of your dodging animation, cancel it with a back-throw. When you finish the animation, you'll immediately turnaround. No idea why. Sometimes, depending on the timing, it doesn't work, but I've been able to get it consistently in real-time.

This works in 1.2 so I guess it works in 1.1 and 1.0 as well.

Some images:
In action: https://gfycat.com/ViciousAdmiredHornedviper
Frame-by-frame with controller inputs: https://gfycat.com/TornAnotherGalapagoshawk
A horribly failed TAS styling thingy a buddy suggested I try haha: https://gfycat.com/ImaginaryHonestDiplodocus

I can't really think of any reason this would be viable (as of yet) besides styling and throwing off the opponent. Maybe try to read a roll off the bomb towards you and down smash, hitting them with the second hit??? I might be thinking too hard about this haha.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Pretty cool! I don't think it will have a ton of use, but maybe you could throw it off the edge, edge cancel, and still grab the edge. You'd potentially kill yourself if you mess up, though. lol

Savestate

Smash Cadet
She can? I tried many times to get it to work with her! What'd you do to get it working?

EDIT: You're right! I just had terrible timing with her since I wasn't used to her. I guess it works for anyone then!

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
This is probably a quirk of glide tossing so low to the ground by the way. Kinda reminds me of the strange animation Peach does when you try and aerial down throw a turnip just as you are about to touch the ground.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
So does this only work when you're close to the ground? It would be amazing if you could ledge hop, throw a bomb backwards, then regrab the ledge.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
As a peach player this is pretty cool.

Something I noticed though.

This might have nothing to do with glide tossing. Sometimes I just throw a turnip low to the ground and automatically turn around. What is the explanation of this?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
There's a lot of weird quirks when you throw close to the ground, for example: Short-hop backwards, and before you get too close to the ground, throw it backwards. It releases behind you so you can immediately pick it up after you throw it haha. More useless stuff but it fun to mess with.

TAS Example: https://gfycat.com/ExaltedSnivelingAdeliepenguin
I don't think its useless at all!

I can approach a shield with a shorthop, then use this right before I land, and the bomb will cover any OoS option they might wanna throw out, and I'll still be close enough to get a punish or an attack (even a grab if they keep shielding)

Also it combos into ftilt at kill % :3

Avoin

Smash Cadet
Pretty easy to do. but yeah not sure of the real rational uses it has.

Edit: guess maybe it's a semi-solid approach if you came in with a backair or something? not sure lmao. sure something can come of it considering it's not hard to pull off at all.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Just a small question, after doing this, are you able to attack, or at least throw your hookshot? Just asking for my friend. :p

Savestate

Smash Cadet
You end up in a regular standing position, so you're able to do anything you can do normally, which includes grabbing and attacking (albeit facing away from the opponent haha)

Synnett

Alligator Lord
What stage? It was probably just a freak glitch. It doesn't really sound like it could be that useful either.
You end up in a regular standing position, so you're able to do anything you can do normally, which includes grabbing and attacking (albeit facing away from the opponent haha)
Neat! Could you use this to have slightly more range for the recovery? It might be useful in some situations.

Top Bottom