• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Jersey killed Brawl. They alone, and no one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
That picture is ******** whether you support the MK ban or not.
You take players like Nakat, who mostly used ICs, and count him as MK, then you say something that doesn't exist(top 25) to make it seem more extreme.
It's top 24 or top 32.

A simplified version would say 9 MKs in the top 24. (You can add 0.5 for Ally and Havok if you'd like)

Like holy ****, if MK is obviously banworthy, then why do you have to make up skewed numbers to back up your case?
mad nerd is mad, i just cropped a screencap of the top bunch of apex 2013 players. Who (else) gives a care if im 1 person off it being technically correct or whatever

here i'll redo it:

Attachments

NAKAT

Smash Champion
NAKAT, what are your thoughts on this as a non-MK player?
This is completely ********. It's moreso pointing fingers than actually proving anything or doing anything constructive. My region may be the strongest, but there are an influx of MK players around the entire world. Not only that, but how can you be angry at someone for choosing the best character in the game? You are not playing for them and that is not your choice. This is blatant immaturity especially when singling out a region due to it being the strongest and most active. Step it up.

Jackson

Smash Lord
This is completely ********. It's moreso pointing fingers than actually proving anything or doing anything constructive. My region may be the strongest, but there are an influx of MK players around the entire world. Not only that, but how can you be angry at someone for choosing the best character in the game? You are not playing for them and that is not your choice. This is blatant immaturity especially when singling out a region due to it being the strongest and most active. Step it up.
True. In tournaments, people want to win. Like it or not, Meta Knight is the best option for that purpose. By the way, I admire your skill.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I just don't understand the logic. It's like,

"hey brawl doesn't have the same kind of locals it used to, who should we blame?" How about the only people who are passionate enough about the game to still be playing it?"

How is it their fault?

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'd more blame the lack of Nintendo making balance patches. Even the most basic and rare of ones.

Really hope they patch once in a while this time...

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
I'd more blame the lack of Nintendo making balance patches. Even the most basic and rare of ones.

Really hope they patch once in a while this time...
the problem is that nintendo is anti-competitive gameplay (for whatever reason.... who knows why) and are super focused on casual/"fun" gameplay, so they wouldnt really care :/
But the level of brokenness meta knight is i really hope that doesnt happen again, whether it be better testing or a patch

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This thread is stupid, but I truly do agree that not banning MK years ago is what killed the game and I think most people can see that now in hindsight. Sadly back in 2011ish you had MK almost always getting 1st (M2K), but the top placings were diversified so most people couldn't actually see what was going to happen.That's why you can't really blame anyone except the whole community./quote]
No, we definitely saw it. There was a huge ban movement, and MK was formally banned. The ban fell apart because certain top players who made their living on Metaknight proclaimed they would only attend events that Metaknight was present at, and several TO's, most notably those in NJ, decided to cater to them. To protect the very top players (who made their living on Metaknight), these TOs caused the game to slowly die off from the bottom for the sake of these players at the top, even though it was generally known and accepted that MK would dominate the game.

In a way, it reminds me of certain aspects of US politics.

These players and TOs are the reason Brawl died.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
People, are we forgetting this same thing happened to Melee? After 2007 EVO and the drop of MLG events, Melee went through a downward spiral in terms of attendance in events and events overall. I don't want to say that a resurgence is likely, but it's possible. Something momentous must happen ie a ROM-esque like. Many players have cited that tourney alone for keeping their interest in Melee (M2K's success). Honestly, I'm not surprised when this mass hysteria of "death" of the game started as it happens with any new iteration. What makes Melee unique is that they had enough people who were nostalgic/hated the new game and just kept playing the Melee. The Brawl community mostly looks up to the Melee community in a little brother complex and since there is always a large amount of hate given to Brawl, this is the result. If there was more cohesion between all the communities, wouldn't it benefit Smash in general?

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
New Jersey kills a lot of things. I know Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils have dashed my dreams as a Flyers fan more than once.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Say the infinie chain grap spammer. I'd prefer MK user.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I made what I thought is a PRETTY DAMN GOOD post about brawl's current state in a horrid comment tree that nobody will read so it's also going here

this sudden change didn't come from nowhere, this came from people in your community realizing that it's slowly breaking apart. major sponsors denying your tournaments, people leaving for P:M or melee, what was one of the hypest finals one year became one where people who wanted melee were overpowering your voices the next. one of your comments say it for me ["well, at least there's SSB4"], many of YOUR community are transferring immediately to ssb4, and more than likely, they aren't coming back. your community is slowly ripping apart, and while everyone else wants to mend it back up, you've decided that it's not as important as "not giving in".
tl;dr stubbornness will kill a scene far before any mechanic or character ever will, learn to work with it. or perish slowly to spite everyone else, your call

Last edited:

ThomasTheTrain

Smash Cadet
People, are we forgetting this same thing happened to Melee? After 2007 EVO and the drop of MLG events, Melee went through a downward spiral in terms of attendance in events and events overall. I don't want to say that a resurgence is likely, but it's possible. Something momentous must happen ie a ROM-esque like. Many players have cited that tourney alone for keeping their interest in Melee (M2K's success). Honestly, I'm not surprised when this mass hysteria of "death" of the game started as it happens with any new iteration. What makes Melee unique is that they had enough people who were nostalgic/hated the new game and just kept playing the Melee. The Brawl community mostly looks up to the Melee community in a little brother complex and since there is always a large amount of hate given to Brawl, this is the result. If there was more cohesion between all the communities, wouldn't it benefit Smash in general?

I think the two aren't completely comparable.. Melee had developed a super popular community before the drop from MLG and while smash 64 was still pretty popular, compared to melee it isn't like "lets retreat to smash 64" was exactly a valid option. With brawl the option to retreat into ssbm or smash 4 is a rather open option as is PM. Realistically those that are with brawl at the moment probably enjoy brawl gameplay more than PM/Melee, so smash 4 seems like a decent option for them.

I feel like they'd have to mess up pretty hard for smash 4 not to be more favored by the current brawl players, or they'd have to make the game faster and more melee-esqe.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I think the two aren't completely comparable.. Melee had developed a super popular community before the drop from MLG and while smash 64 was still pretty popular, compared to melee it isn't like "lets retreat to smash 64" was exactly a valid option. With brawl the option to retreat into ssbm or smash 4 is a rather open option as is PM. Realistically those that are with brawl at the moment probably enjoy brawl gameplay more than PM/Melee, so smash 4 seems like a decent option for them.

I feel like they'd have to mess up pretty hard for smash 4 not to be more favored by the current brawl players, or they'd have to make the game faster and more melee-esqe.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

You kinda miss the point of his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom