• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New-ish Palutena Player Here (and looking for advice)!

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! Recently started to lurk the Palutena boards because I recently decided to try Palutena as a pocket main and mix it up instead of playing the same one character all the time. I wanted to main Palutena since the reveal video, but tradition since Smash 64 kept me a Jiggs player.

Anyway, I just popped in because I wanted to learn more about Palutena and how to better use her and all that stuff. I was really hoping that this would be the place to ask for help! Anyway, the first video of a Palutena battle that happened recently and the second was back when I first considered using Palutena (back on the night Bayo was first released)... any tips would be greatly appreciated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqyT0uRbwbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErKalOTHqQ

Thanks!

weare6789

Smash Rookie
NNID
weare6789
3DS FC
1075-0742-8614
Try doing more short hop forward airs and back airs in neutral. Landing with a fair can lead to a grab at low percent or a dash attack at mid percents. Stop throwing out smashes, f tilts and reflect. You were using dash attack well to cover landings. Warping away on stage can be good, but use that slightly less

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Just like TPAM said, use more short hop fairs and bairs. Be careful of excessively smashing because although they are powerful they have a lot of lag and can easily be punished. Don't use reflect too much, especially on a character like Mario, because reflecting fireballs really isn't going to do much for you. Use nair when falling from above an opponent like Mario - I don't think any of Mario's moves can clash a nair from above. Use single (or double) jabs to lead into grabs or dash attacks.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Well... you used too many Smash attacks. Like... too many. Nowhere near range half the time. And Palutena's Smash attacks are pretty... well, let me say situational. They have some of the slower startup and endlag in the game, while not being particularly strong. Up Smash is good offensively in the right situations, though.

You also roll a bit much (general issue) and run around a lot, with Dash attacks... Palutena's Dash attack is great (mostly because of its 'blocking' property), but also highly punishable. It's best to catch landings or power through attacks you expect. Palutena doesn't have many good options out of a dash, besides grabs, and Dash attacks for reads/beating out attacks... grab is one of her best options, and you didn't use it much when you could have.

You used Jab 2 most of the time, which is (go figure) highly punishable. It's pretty good after a hitconfirm, but you should get into the habit of only tapping it once. Jab 1 is one of her best (and only) pokes and moves, despite it being irregularly slow, and it can lead to pseudo-combos and grabs, and of course, you won't get stuck holding the rod if you miss.

You hardly used any of her aerials in neutral, which are mostly her strong point. Spaced F-Air is generally Palutena's best footsies tool. B-Air also has a blocking property, it's more punishable, but spaced well, it can be good sparingly due to higher shieldstun. Try not to use D-Air much on stage unless you're really high up or are sure you can do it safely. You use N-Air for off-stage a lot, which is good. You also have U-Air down.

(Optional Jab 1) Grab > D-Throw > F-Air is one of Palutena's best options, so you really want to go for those when you can. You seem aware of D-Throw, but you didn't seem to use it much at all, opting for too many unsafe attacks.

I think your Reflect usage was fine, I'm a believer in its gimmicks, like that start that caught Mario's F-Air... just be careful with it, and keep in mind Autoreticle is really good at stuffing some projectile walling like Mario's, which can be better than reflecting. I think you were going for Dash attacks when you used F-Tilt... but be wary that F-Tilt is... subpar in most circumstances.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
It'll take some practice, but try trumping and ledge guarding more with Palutena bair. Since it's invincible and doesn't trade you can score allot of damage or an early kill by ledge guarding.

Practice warp canceling and it's a great mobility tool and you can use it to your advantage on platform stages like battlefield and dreamland

Learn hot to space your aerials correctly, this is vital to all Palu players. Bair is -1 in shield if you space it and same with fair. It overall makes poking and shield pressure allot easier.

Learn hot to use jab since it's literally her fastest move on the ground. It's also vital for setting up for her combos or for grabs. You should also note that it's very disjointed so you can easily beat weak projectiles with it.

Learn movement such as short hop and running > shield. Since Palu is a very fast in terms of running speed these techniques help her out allot. It's also easy to safely space aerials out of short hop so that's another bonus. (Watch TLTC or IceNinja)
I hope this was a help

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Right. I'm too lazy to type lots of stuff on my Gamepad, but I just wanted to say welcome to the fold :O

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?
Wow, now that you point it out it looks pretty terrible. It doesn't affect my play style very much since I pretty much never use her counter - but really, she is definitely in need of some buffs...

Top Bottom