• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new-ish 64 controller?

D

Deleted member

any recommended ways on how to get one? i have two first party ones and one is pretty loose while the other is in good condition
your best bet are retro game stores and/or pawn shops

Uair

Banned via Warnings

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I forget the name of the company... will add later. They make very good 3rd party N64 controllers, you can find them on Amazon. Otherwise you could always by an adapter to use a GameCube controller on your N64.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Terrible suggestion.

You can get a new N64 controller for 10 dollars of amazon, you can also buy prebuild gamecube analog sticks so you can just take the controller apart and put it in no hassle.

http://www.amazon.com/Redesigned-REPLACEMENT-Joystick-Controller-Thumbstick/dp/B009MRZAUC

http://www.amazon.com/Gen-Classic-Controller-Grey-Nintendo-64/dp/B003UI5GLC
The controller and stick you linked are both terrible. The stick is designed after the GC stick with leaves a deadzone at the edge of the stick movement instead of the middle. This makes it harder to do smash attacks and some movement options than just a worn out normal stick.

The controller you posted isn't even first party and it has a terrible stick that feels awkward and hard to use.

I've had experience with both of these because my friends only have these controllers to use whenever I Mario party with them.

Cuddly was right in saying retro game stores and pawn shops were good places to look because you can test the quality of the stick before you buy it. EBay/Amazon are a gamble because you don't know the quality before you buy. At least on craigslist you can test them before you pay.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
The controller and stick you linked are both terrible. The stick is designed after the GC stick with leaves a deadzone at the edge of the stick movement instead of the middle. This makes it harder to do smash attacks and some movement options than just a worn out normal stick.

The controller you posted isn't even first party and it has a terrible stick that feels awkward and hard to use.

I've had experience with both of these because my friends only have these controllers to use whenever I Mario party with them.

Cuddly was right in saying retro game stores and pawn shops were good places to look because you can test the quality of the stick before you buy it. EBay/Amazon are a gamble because you don't know the quality before you buy. At least on craigslist you can test them before you pay.
Not sure, if you can buy a 5 dollar N64 controller from a pawnshop, then look for a tutorial on how to take it apart and properly put gamecube analog in or custom bought n64 analog parts, then it will definitely be cheaper and better than anything you can prebuy online. I was just linking the first two google links, I never bought those specifically. All of my N64 controllers are clear colorful ones. I got them from the same guy who sold me his DD and japanese F zero X cart. I used to have a modded one but lost it long ago. There is tutorials online on how to do it, it's really easy.

D

Deleted member

I forget the name of the company... will add later. They make very good 3rd party N64 controllers, you can find them on Amazon. Otherwise you could always by an adapter to use a GameCube controller on your N64.
the problem i found when i bought a third party controller, was i couldn't short hop, like at all. >.< i returned it the very next day lol.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
Do you mean hori? I'm really just interested in first party though

SVTcobradude

Smash Rookie
Yard sales, friend. Go to a local city's suburbs and look around. Mot likely, you'll find a couple controllers with an old 64 that hasnt been played alot. Also look up on youtube on how to restore loose stick controllers for cheap, its pretty easy and it will save you alot (and possibly make you a bit) of money. Good luck

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
Yard sales, friend. Go to a local city's suburbs and look around. Mot likely, you'll find a couple controllers with an old 64 that hasnt been played alot. Also look up on youtube on how to restore loose stick controllers for cheap, its pretty easy and it will save you alot (and possibly make you a bit) of money. Good luck
I've tried the methods of fixing and they didn't really work

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
Sorry for the late response with the company name. It's TTX Tech. I have three N64 controllers from them and (from my experiences) they are just as good as the original.

Last edited:
Top Bottom