• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
SNK spends more money advertising their games in other peoples games then they do on their actual development budgets. Funny how you can make a big angry rant about me but you can't put in the effort to actually prove that any of SNK's games have any actual popularity.

Where's your numbers, son?
In the real world, a place you aren't living in.
Ice Climbers outsold every SNK game ever made. That's bigger then an advertisement that SNK paid for. And a lot of good that reveal did considering nobody bought the game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Aside from the Party Crash and Yabuki things, what else does she have in her favor?
Well, being consistently popular in both the East and West on equal terms, where as Ninjara is more popular only in Asia while Twintelle's popularity is all but Western certainly helps.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Aside from the Party Crash and Yabuki things, what else does she have in her favor?
I'll say the weird announcement ("somebody from ARMS") and Sakurai saying that the ARMS fighter is a special request from the team make this Min Min specualtion legit. Not just for Min Min but also for the rest of the cast, but if we talk about someone who is not Springman, her and Ribbon are right after, but popularity seems her best card. Without these topics I don't think that we will be talking about her. Springo should be the predictable choice, no matter how many fans Min Min has. Min Min really got chances in speculation because of the strange announcement.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
SNK spends more money advertising their games in other peoples games then they do on their actual development budgets. Funny how you can make a big angry rant about me but you can't put in the effort to actually prove that any of SNK's games have any actual popularity.

Where's your numbers, son?

Ice Climbers outsold every SNK game ever made. That's bigger then an advertisement that SNK paid for. And a lot of good that reveal did considering nobody bought the game.
>Ice Climber, the one game
>Outsell EVERY game combined in the long-running and still alive KOF series

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also I just wanna say shout outs to "niche" fighting game fans.

Play the fighting games you love no matter how few people play it and don't apologize for it, especially if they have good netcode.

ARMS fans, Skullgirls fans, Umineko fans, Million Arthur fans, Koihime fans, PlayStation All-Stars fans, the other 20 people who will die on that hill that KOF XI is actually amazing,

Y'all the real ones.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He’s most popular among Latin American audiences. When I was a kid and traveled to Puerto Rico to visit my late grandparents I saw a lot of SNK arcade cabinets. The NEO GEO was essentially a glorified cabinet, hence why it was so expensive
i know i know. theres no reason not like him if you like him. i just didnt think he was well received over all, but ive seen plenty of fans on here

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the end of the day, it will almost assuredly come down to the ARMS characters in the base game that were spirits. The main reason why I'm not optimistic for either Springman or Ribbon Girl is the fact both characters had new assets for Smash Ultimate created with the Assist Trophy and the Mii Fighter costumes, while MinMin, Ninjara, and TwinTelle only reused their stock renders for the spirits

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
1590259009403.png

Terry isn't a generic shoto character (He's less of a "shoto" than Mario ffs) and KoF / Fatal Fury is a significant enough part of FGC history that has crossed over with Street Fighter and Tekken (hell, Dan from Street Fighter is meant to be a parody of the characters from SNK's Art of Fighting). However SNK has not really been in the limelight for a long time (on top of fighting games already being a niche genre) and only now has really seen a minor resurgence partially thanks to guest appearances and more widespread releases of their classic games on modern consoles. It's completely fair to say Terry came out of nowhere and isn't nearly as "mainstream" to an American audience as other fighting game characters.

Can't prove anything about Latin America numbers, because I highly doubt anyone here has info on arcade numbers for several different SNK fighting games across several different countries, but let's not act like Terry is undeserving or is a bad choice. It's pointless flaming and gatekeeping just so people can stroke themselves off and feel superior.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guys, can we please keep on topic? This thread is explicitly about ARMS.

Also, the ignore/report buttons are your friends

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
>Ice Climber, the one game
>Outsell EVERY game combined in the long-running and still alive KOF series
Yes. All king of fighters ever made combine to maybe 2 million sales. Ice Climbers have sold an upwars of 10+ million on the NES, various Eshops, and on the NES classic which ALONE sold 10 million.

Meanwhile the biggest KoF game is dead as dirt lol https://steamcharts.com/app/571260

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, to try to get this thread back on topic for ARMS, we all know the remaining 10 fighters from the game will likely end up as spirits for the spirit board, but do you guys think Biff and Hedlok will join them also for 12 spirits?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, to try to get this thread back on topic for ARMS, we all know the remaining 10 fighters from the game will likely end up as spirits for the spirit board, but do you guys think Biff and Hedlok will join them also for 12 spirits?
Come to think of it, that sounds like a no-brainer. Biff could be represented by a yellow Mr. Game and Watch while Hedlok could be represented by a metal Kirby with...I dunno, a Rage Blaster?

SwitchButton

Is there a limit to how many spirits appear on a board or whatever? I have never once in my life given spirits more then 2 seconds of my attention.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I go full LMAO whenever I see someone say "If it's not Spring Man then the main mascot first rule is broken!"

Yes guys. Spring Man not getting in means that they'll add Tiny Tiger instead of Crash Bandicoot. Or maybe next game they'll remove Sonic the Hedgehog and replace him with a wisp lol. Watch out Pikachu fans, I think Sakurai is gonna replace your main with Youngster Joey!!!!!!!!
To be fair, they'd broken that long ago with Cloud and Hero over Moogle/Cactaur/Black Mage and Slime.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Is there a limit to how many spirits appear on a board or whatever? I have never once in my life given spirits more then 2 seconds of my attention.
With the recent addition of Byleth, including upgraded spirits, we had 12 total, and I'm guessing 12 is the absolute maximum per spirit board

SwitchButton

they'd broken that long ago with Cloud and Hero
Cloud's the mascot of FF, without question. And Dragon Quest doesn't really have a mascot... just intentionally generic JRPG "this is where your weak enemy is supposed to go/this is where your main character goes" cookie cutter tropes so they could have just kind of grabbed anyone from that pile.

With the recent addition of Byleth, including upgraded spirits, we had 12 total, and I'm guessing 12 is the absolute maximum per spirit board
Ah I see. Maybe they'll just put everyone in then

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, they'd broken that long ago with Cloud and Hero over Moogle/Cactaur/Black Mage and Slime.
It's less "mascot" and more of "main character", really. Which, in ARMS' case we can only tell Spring Man is the lead character mainly because he just so happens to be the one Dr. Coyle has made a robot double of. Otherwise, we currently only have one game to go on from, while with :ultryu: and :ult_terry: there's no question that they are the leads of their respective series (KOF notwithstanding).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I go full LMAO whenever I see someone say "If it's not Spring Man then the main mascot first rule is broken!"

Yes guys. Spring Man not getting in means that they'll add Tiny Tiger instead of Crash Bandicoot. Or maybe next game they'll remove Sonic the Hedgehog and replace him with a wisp lol. Watch out Pikachu fans, I think Sakurai is gonna replace your main with Youngster Joey!!!!!!!!
Ah yes but what about the protagonist first rule? Which Spring Man also fits.
Cloud's the mascot of FF, without question. And Dragon Quest doesn't really have a mascot... just intentionally generic JRPG "this is where your weak enemy is supposed to go/this is where your main character goes" cookie cutter tropes so they could have just kind of grabbed anyone from that pile.
Isn't Slime the mascot?
It's less "mascot" and more of "main character", really. Which, in ARMS' case we can only tell Spring Man is the lead character mainly because he just so happens to be the one Dr. Coyle has made a robot double of. Otherwise, we currently only have one game to go on from, while with :ultryu: and :ult_terry: there's no question that they are the leads of their respective series (KOF notwithstanding).
And being in most promotional marketing, art as well as the game cover.

Last edited:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
mascots?? a long time ago, we moved on from that archaic line of thinking and started using the term "Representation" or Rep. how did we devolve in speculation?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We're the wrong people gauge what financial success is on any individual case. A game could sell a billion with rave reviews and still technically be a failure if it doesn't break even with the costs of making it. When you don't have budget figures to consider, "success" is in the eye of the beholder.

You know, like those people insisting on judging ARMS's merits compared to Splatoon. There's nothing concrete to argue except explicit or implicit statements from the company.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Fun Fact: Those were actually their ARMS models with their heads cut off and bodies scaled to Mii proportions.
Even if that is true, that still required work to create new Mii Costumes based on Springman and Ribbon Girl, and while we've had examples of both Mii Costume and Assist Trophy upgrades, they did not happen in the same game they were introduced in. Spirits however required less work given they reused artwork, renders, and game sprites.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
At the end of the day, it will almost assuredly come down to the ARMS characters in the base game that were spirits. The main reason why I'm not optimistic for either Springman or Ribbon Girl is the fact both characters had new assets for Smash Ultimate created with the Assist Trophy and the Mii Fighter costumes, while MinMin, Ninjara, and TwinTelle only reused their stock renders for the spirits
I see people saying it and the only real reason I can think is that people think it would be wasting resources which many have already stated why they wouldn't really have been wasted as they can just go towards the actual character. If you think it's because Nintendo aren't going to add a character who is already represented that will inevitably not be the case. Whatever character they pick will be whoever they think best represents the game which I have to add, Springman would do quite well with nothing from elsewhere being able to have much of an impact on it including things that are in the base game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just read someone call Terry a shoto.

If I wanted to read a stupid uninformed take, I'd read political articles.

Terry's not even close.

Smash fans sometimes...

Back to ARMS though, I think every playable character will get a spirit. Either through base game, of the DLC.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Terry's not even close.
Terry is objectively a generic shoto, but if you wanna keep derailing this thread then the mod who just swept the thread handing out warnings can come back to deal with you :)

MattX20

Smash Hero

Terry's not even close.

Smash fans sometimes...

Back to ARMS though, I think every playable character will get a spirit. Either through base game, of the DLC.
The spirit board for the ARMS rep will assuredly cover the remaining 10 fighters not already in Ultimate. There's very little doubt in my mind on that point

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Terry is objectively a generic shoto, but if you wanna keep derailing this thread then the mod who just swept the thread handing out warnings can come back to deal with you :)
Define shoto. The only moves Terry has that could be defined as a shoto is a projectile and some uppercut like move. He doesn't have the spin kick, or any other traits that Ryu has.

That said, that sounds like a threat. I don't respond well to those.

Also you were the only one who even got a warning dude.

The spirit board for the ARMS rep will assuredly cover the remaining 10 fighters not already in Ultimate. There's very little doubt in my mind on that point
I mean, its a no brainer. Heck I'd throw Biff in there too.

SwitchButton

User warned for spam; use the report feature instead of behaving like this.
That said, that sounds like a threat. I don't respond well to those.
Alright then I guess it's up to the mods to deal with you. I tried to be friendly about it because I don't want to see my fellow users get official mod warnings but that statement makes me feel like the users in this thread are unsafe so...

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean, its a no brainer. Heck I'd throw Biff in there too.
Since you mentioned that, I decided to think about what I'd imagine a Biff Spirit being like:

1590271283408.png

Spirit Name: Biff
Spirit Type::starman::starman::starman: Support
Opponent: Yellow:ultgnw:, Red :ultgnw: (x3)
Stage: Boxing Ring
Rules:
  • The enemy likes to avoid conflict (Yellow G&W)
  • The enemy has increased punch and elbow strike power (Red G&W)
  • The battle is timed (1:39)
  • Defeat the main fighter to win (Yellow G&W)
Music Track: ARMS Medley
Spirit Effect: Lightweight +

I didn't know what Spirit Effect would fit Biff TBH.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please discontinue this line of discussion. As said multiple times, this thread is to discuss ARMS, not the shoots, Ryu, Ken, Terry, dislike of SNK, or what not. Trying to continue this discussion will result in warnings being issued so please keep that in mind when posting.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Since you mentioned that, I decided to think about what I'd imagine a Biff Spirit being like:

View attachment 272575
Spirit Name: Biff
Spirit Type::starman::starman::starman: Support
Opponent: Yellow:ultgnw:, Red :ultgnw: (x3)
Stage: Boxing Ring
Rules:
  • The enemy likes to avoid conflict (Yellow G&W)
  • The enemy has increased punch and elbow strike power (Red G&W)
  • The battle is timed (1:39)
  • Defeat the main fighter to win (Yellow G&W)
Music Track: ARMS Medley
Spirit Effect: Lightweight +

I didn't know what Spirit Effect would fit Biff TBH.
Biff could be Pikachu Libre.

That way he'd be yellow AND have a mask.

Top Bottom