• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
More the reason I think the Hero treatment is more likely.

And Springtron replacing Spring Man's role as an assist.

Or better yet...

Watch Sakurai surprise us and that Springtron is the fighter we get stating "Spring Man couldn't make the cut, so here's the closest we could get to adding the mascot into the roster".
No, the closest to adding the mascot without Spring Man is adding the actual Mascot in-universe

osby

Smash Obsessed
(I mean, :ultzss: was given high heels so they could make :ultbayonetta:)
I highly doubt that was the reason why she has high heels. Bayo wasn't even planned to be added when Smash 4 came out. And why would they even need another character to wear heels to give a character shoes? Plus, ZSS has high heels in Metroid, Smash just added jets to them.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I highly doubt that was the reason why she has high heels. Bayo wasn't even planned to be added when Smash 4 came out. And why would they even need another character to wear heels to give a character shoes? Plus, ZSS has high heels in Metroid, Smash just added jets to them.
Well may as well take a bad idea all the way. People stop asking how she wears power armour in heels when they try to figure out how rocket heels even work.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyway, I'm just beyond tired with this endless debate. I hope we'll hear of the announcement not too long after June starts, so that we can move on to enjoying the darn fighter in question.

The only thing we know for sure that'll happen is that people will go bugnuts over who they show off.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Some people keep bringing up Kid Cobra in their list of alts. You know he has a long curved snake-like body. He litterally can't work as an alt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Misango has a more muscular build than Spring Man, Min Min or Ninjara. He wouldn't really be able to be an alt. Twintelle for sure wouldn't, for obvious reasons (she has human arms and her pigtails are what's used in fights)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About the Twitter/YT user whose video was posted by smashkirby smashkirby , one thing bothers me.

He's apparently pretty sure that we'll only need to wait a few weeks, how would he know that? For all we know we could end up waiting until June's nearly over.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
About the Twitter/YT user whose video was posted by smashkirby smashkirby , one thing bothers me.

He's apparently pretty sure that we'll only need to wait a few weeks, how would he know that? For all we know we could end up waiting until June's nearly over.
it would probably be around E3 "week" even though there's technically no E3. just to keep up with the "habits" of years past

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, Sakurai didn't seem bothered by it anymore from the looks of past Famitsu articles and the measures taken explained in those, since DLC theoretically takes less heavy workload and manpower. If the base game hadn't been released until now, it'd be a different story.

If anything is delayed here, it would actually benefit in giving time to getting around any technical hurdles for the ARMS fighter, whatever those will be.

The only way to know for sure if the possibility is real is next week, since Xenoblade DE is currently slated to release on the 29th. So far, the only thing that got hampered is having a Nintendo Direct during a time where everyone else adopted the format.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
If we got two dates, announcement and release, I doubt that the reveal won't be placed in the first half of the month, third week at worst and ready two download in the next days.
The character should have been almost done in the Direct and if I remember well, Terry presentation was recorded about two months before, a delay for the virus can be avoided pretty well, even with a different format for the reveal.
I don't sure about playing with the fighter, but there's high chances of knowing who is in a month.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know I've been thinking:

It's a popular form of speculation that it takes 6 months to complete a fighter, and that the team works on 3 fighters at a time, right?

So let's see...When Banjo was completed, Terry and Byleth were near completion, and they started work on this ARMS character, right? And from the looks of it, Banjo seemed damn well near complete by the time he was revealed at E3 last year. Reviewing the character releases for DLC thus far...

- Piranha Plant: January 2019 (Supposed to be February 2019, but apparently, Nintendo was ahead of schedule there.)
- Joker: April 2019
- Hero: July 2019
- Banjo & Kazooie: September 2019
- Terry: November 2019
- Byleth: January 2020
- ARMS character: June 2020 (Said so in the trailer)

So by the time the ARMS character releases, they would've been absolutely finished creating them, the remaining months only being dedicated to tweaking and balancing them (Which seems to vary based on the complexity of the fighter. I mean, look at Hero!) Now we don't know how complex the ARMS character is, but I'm going to presume based on the Spring Man Assist Trophy and the very nature of ARMS gameplay itself, that they'd be...about between Hero and Terry.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know I've been thinking:

It's a popular form of speculation that it takes 6 months to complete a fighter, and that the team works on 3 fighters at a time, right?

So let's see...When Banjo was completed, Terry and Byleth were near completion, and they started work on this ARMS character, right? And from the looks of it, Banjo seemed damn well near complete by the time he was revealed at E3 last year. Reviewing the character releases for DLC thus far...

- Piranha Plant: January 2019 (Supposed to be February 2019, but apparently, Nintendo was ahead of schedule there.)
- Joker: April 2019
- Hero: July 2019
- Banjo & Kazooie: September 2019
- Terry: November 2019
- Byleth: January 2020
- ARMS character: June 2020 (Said so in the trailer)

So by the time the ARMS character releases, they would've been absolutely finished creating them, the remaining months only being dedicated to tweaking and balancing them (Which seems to vary based on the complexity of the fighter. I mean, look at Hero!) Now we don't know how complex the ARMS character is, but I'm going to presume based on the Spring Man Assist Trophy and the very nature of ARMS gameplay itself, that they'd be...about between Hero and Terry.
Adding to that, some fighters were released much earlier than fans and people expected. They thought :ulthero: would be in August (yet that wasn't the case), and for :ultbanjokazooie: they thought it'd be in the middle of Fall, yet they were released barely before the start of Fall.

If the amount of work remained consistent, two announcements in relatively short order may be plausible.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
If the amount of work remained consistent, two announcements in relatively short order may be plausible.
I've been wondering if the cancelation of the E3 Direct has left the next character reveal homeless, so they put together the 'Someone from ARMS' trailer to create a mystery that would hopefully draw more people to the ARMS presentation then would have otherwise so that they can end that with a reveal.

I imagine the ARMS character should have been out by E3, since due to Treehouse starting immediatly following the direct, they wouldn't be able to do the presentation until probably the next week at the earliest.

Of course the counterpoint would be that not knowing who Fighter 6 is at all would draw more people to the presentation, but maybe they didn't want to leave us high and dry for 5 months, or maybe they didn't want a repeat of Byleth with so many toys being thrown out the pram.

I dunno, I don't want to get anyones hopes up, and I'm not expecting 7 to top an ARMS rep for me anyway, 3 in a row for me would be too lucky.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been wondering if the cancelation of the E3 Direct has left the next character reveal homeless, so they put together the 'Someone from ARMS' trailer to create a mystery that would hopefully draw more people to the ARMS presentation then would have otherwise so that they can end that with a reveal.

I imagine the ARMS character should have been out by E3, since due to Treehouse starting immediatly following the direct, they wouldn't be able to do the presentation until probably the next week at the earliest.

Of course the counterpoint would be that not knowing who Fighter 6 is at all would draw more people to the presentation, but maybe they didn't want to leave us high and dry for 5 months, or maybe they didn't want a repeat of Byleth with so many toys being thrown out the pram.

I dunno, I don't want to get anyones hopes up, and I'm not expecting 7 to top an ARMS rep for me anyway, 3 in a row for me would be too lucky.
At the very least, for 7 we could get someone that'll please some subset of the fanbase, so it wouldn't necessarily be anyone that needs to "top" the ARMS fighter since esoteric choices are more left for the end of a release/reveal pattern anyways.

Besides, it's still pretty conspicuously odd if the whole mystery is done entirely just to have one person revealed for the Summer. :confused:

Also, I don't care who it is as long as I finally get to change this avatar already...

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Oh I'm just saying I had Three Houses and ARMS in my wishlist, if another one I personally wanted happened I'd be really surprised. I don't think those 2 would be hard to top for the community at large.

And yeah, I guess if it's not the main character of ARMS, or if it's an Assist Trophy being promoted, either is enough of a reason to hype it up, and if nothing else it shows us they hear us and our speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gotta remember that they generally aim to please both the casual and hardcore fanbases, which is a pretty delicate thing to balance. Just be ready for anything.

In the meantime, Xenoblade DE should distract fans adequately well enough. :ultshulk:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
At any rate I'm pretty easy to please, if I don't know the character well, I get to learn something new. Terry ended up being my favourite for season 1 and I barely knew him beforehand.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I go full LMAO whenever I see someone say "If it's not Spring Man then the main mascot first rule is broken!"

Yes guys. Spring Man not getting in means that they'll add Tiny Tiger instead of Crash Bandicoot. Or maybe next game they'll remove Sonic the Hedgehog and replace him with a wisp lol. Watch out Pikachu fans, I think Sakurai is gonna replace your main with Youngster Joey!!!!!!!!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
At any rate I'm pretty easy to please, if I don't know the character well, I get to learn something new. Terry ended up being my favourite for season 1 and I barely knew him beforehand.
I wouldn't be surprised if Terry was a lot of people's favorite in general.

I personally like Hero's RNG the best out of season 1, but Terry has a really sick moveset and the sheer amount of content he brings is utterly unbelieveable even 7 months after his release.

I go full LMAO whenever I see someone say "If it's not Spring Man then the main mascot first rule is broken!"

Yes guys. Spring Man not getting in means that they'll add Tiny Tiger instead of Crash Bandicoot. Or maybe next game they'll remove Sonic the Hedgehog and replace him with a wisp lol. Watch out Pikachu fans, I think Sakurai is gonna replace your main with Youngster Joey!!!!!!!!
That's one thing I honestly find stupid about some of the Smash community.

Just because a "rule" that was never outright said by Sakurai ends up being broken doesn't mean the broken rule becomes the standard.

That's one thing that a lot of people seem to forget, either because they don't really think about it or happens to be supporting a sidekick as their most wanted.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
We're in the endgame of ARMS speculation. It's only a matter of time before the identity of the ARMS fighter is revealed

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
To be clear, I don't think that way personally, in factm if an Assist were to get promoted I'd be convinced we'd never see that again in Ultimates lifetime. But seeing that fan rule disregarded would be interesting, same for the 'Has to be the mascot' rule. It doesn't change the criteria Sakurai uses, but it should lead to broader discussions and less shooting down of fringe characters.

10 months ago I made my own list of 12 characters I'd like to see, trying to ignore fan rules and popular picks and focusing on what I really wanted. I put Min Min over Springman, to think that could actually happen is crazy to me.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To be clear, I don't think that way personally, in factm if an Assist were to get promoted I'd be convinced we'd never see that again in Ultimates lifetime.
Pretty much what I think.

Same for the "not the main mascot" fan rule if that's the one that gets broken.

I don't expect them to do that again unless it's from an already established franchise, but like, does that count when the main mascot is likely already there?

The only "rule" I could see broken multiple times is the "no Spirit" rule. But even then, I only expect half the Pass at most to do that because it's not like the only characters possible are all Spirits or something like that.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I expect at the least to see two promotions if any. One Assist Trophy promotion and one Spirit promotion. I just don't see Spring Man or Min Min being the only upgraded promotion here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can we please not argue over an existing fighter? I don't want this to devolve into a flame war. :dk:

That's one thing I honestly find stupid about some of the Smash community.

Just because a "rule" that was never outright said by Sakurai ends up being broken doesn't mean the broken rule becomes the standard.

That's one thing that a lot of people seem to forget, either because they don't really think about it or happens to be supporting a sidekick as their most wanted.
The thing to keep in mind is that Sak and co. take baby steps whenever they break a new boundary (which is understandable, culturally-speaking). This is why we didn't have second characters for third-party series until now, and even then they're echoes for now, since they're still busy including as many series as possible. We'll be lucky if we even get a second Western third-party series after the first pass.

So, to anyone expecting Waluigi if Spring Man somehow got promoted beforehand...don't hold your breath, and ask Nintendo to put him in some major Mario game before the next Smash happens.

Hence why I said we're in the endgame. With less than a month left, we're beginning to wind down and just wait to see the results
And scrape the bottom of the barrel of topics to cover in the meantime. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
guys, guys i never said nobody liked him i said i thought he wasnt as popular
He’s most popular among Latin American audiences. When I was a kid and traveled to Puerto Rico to visit my late grandparents I saw a lot of SNK arcade cabinets. The NEO GEO was essentially a glorified cabinet, hence why it was so expensive

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The NEO GEO was essentially a glorified cabinet, hence why it was so expensive
Actually, the Neo-Geo console was what was expensive for console standards. The arcade machine was cheap by arcade machine standards.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s a little something I said in the latest news article (which can be found right here):
Can I say something real quick? I want Min-Min more than Spring Man because Assist Trophies (of which the latter is) aren’t promoted in the same game they’re an Assist Trophy (unlike :ultlittlemac: after Brawl, or :ultdarksamus::ultisabelle: after Sm4sh). Why do I think it’d be a waste of time and resources (even feasible ones) to promote Spring Man in the same game he’s an Assist Trophy, you ask? Let me put it like this.

You know how people say Assist Trophies are disabled on certain stages? With all due respect, it says to me that the people who compare disabling for the sake of a stage cameo (or lack thereof, in Alucard’s case) to a hypothetical promotion for Spring Man think that everything’s the same when it comes to Assist Trophy toggling. Not that I’m going to pretend I’m some game development Einstein or anything.

Of course, I’ll accept if Spring Man is promoted, and I won’t rag on anyone who likes it…but I won’t like it myself. Purely because Sakurai (how do I put this?) would potentially overwork himself just to promote an Assist Trophy (and an ARMS character who was one at that).

Top Bottom