• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well the other ones who could fit the bill of adult woman would be Dr. Coyle and Lola Pop. (not sure how old Ribbon girl is but I'm sure ti's late teens.)
In regards to Lola Pop, I find it hard to tell if Bayonetta does fit her body type considering the baggy pants Lola has on.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Obviously...

Alright, new question that elaborates on a point from earlier.
So, assuming that the ARMS fighter(s) can fit into having :ultbayonetta:'s body type being used as a base, which ones would fit this reasonably, regardless of gender?

Twintelle notwithstanding.
Dr. Coyle?

But it could just be more about the big arm rather than Bayonetta's specific body type, since the bug seems to only apply to Smash attacks.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Dr. Coyle?

But it could just be more about the big arm rather than Bayonetta's specific body type, since the bug seems to only apply to Smash attacks.
This.

The Belmonts were used to make Byleth, that's why the glitch involved the Smash attacks, which used the whip. Said whip would be adapted into the Sword of the Creator.

Whoever the ARMS character is, we should think more about which of the characters would best fit Bayonetta's Wicked Weaves smash attacks. Then again, any one of them seems to fit the Wicked Weaves...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to Lola Pop, I find it hard to tell if Bayonetta does fit her body type considering the baggy pants Lola has on.
With a little bit of wiggle room, it's possible. M!Byleth didn't even remotely fit Simon's muscular physique, yet here we are.

This.

The Belmonts were used to make Byleth, that's why the glitch involved the Smash attacks, which used the whip. Said whip would be adapted into the Sword of the Creator.

Whoever the ARMS character is, we should think more about which of the characters would best fit Bayonetta's Wicked Weaves smash attacks. Then again, any one of them seems to fit the Wicked Weaves...
Considering that, this whole guessing game is even more cleverly devilish than we've thought.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well they've both got legs for days. Just in different dimensions.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Dr. Coyle have a 3rd arm come out as one of her abilities in Arms? Since Wicked Weaves refers to the giant hands in Bayonetta's smash attacks, maybe Dr. Coyle's third arm could fit the build and be used for her smash attacks.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
How come it'd fit for anyone? Obviously the arms characters aren't summoning attacks from way off model, and their hitboxes will be nothing alike, so is that some resource saving thing for how to stretch their arms? Like you change the textures on the arms when they stretch to have transparent sections in a spiral around a normal, but stretched arm shape?... although it's not like the ARMs characters tuck their arms into human shape when they have their masks on anyway...

I'm obviously not a game developer so I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing how this points to everyone; to me it points at Min Min as her arm would change textures from noodles into a dragon when she uses smash attacks, but I'm probably looking too simply at it.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Dr. Coyle have a 3rd arm come out as one of her abilities in Arms? Since Wicked Weaves refers to the giant hands in Bayonetta's smash attacks, maybe Dr. Coyle's third arm could fit the build and be used for her smash attacks.
True. When she charges up her ARMS, a third one will pop out from her left or right pauldron. Thinking of how this might relate to her smash attacks, maybe the third ARM will pop out when she fully charges a smash, adding a second hit and additional damage. This would be kind of cool and unique.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So far, this only happened with the Cuphead Spirit, iirc. But would they go back to the hundreds of base game fights to change a handful of them?

Sounds like a recipe for a gigantic mess if they make even one mistake...
Agreed but they could do it for just the ARMS spirits. There are only 5 of them and I don't think they all have battles (think you have to summon Ninjara). Say they pick Min Min or Ribbon Girl, it wouldn't be hard to put the DLC character in the fight like they did with Cuphead.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How come it'd fit for anyone? Obviously the arms characters aren't summoning attacks from way off model, and their hitboxes will be nothing alike, so is that some resource saving thing for how to stretch their arms? Like you change the textures on the arms when they stretch to have transparent sections in a spiral around a normal, but stretched arm shape?... although it's not like the ARMs characters tuck their arms into human shape when they have their masks on anyway...

I'm obviously not a game developer so I may be missing something, but I'm not seeing how this points to everyone; to me it points at Min Min as her arm would change textures from noodles into a dragon when she uses smash attacks, but I'm probably looking too simply at it.
Because the Wicked Weaves themselves are separate from Bayonetta, and while not exactly summoning, it's possibly very much like ARMS characters' attacks are in a sense. While the ARMS themselves are a part of the bodies of the characters, they sort of "disconnect" when being sent to attack, only bound by the continuously stretching springs that are their arms.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
What if the base for the ARMS character is actually the Spring Man AT?

Can't get a better base than an ARMS character for an ARMS character :p

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Because the Wicked Weaves themselves are separate from Bayonetta, and while not exactly summoning, it's possibly very much like ARMS characters' attacks are in a sense. While the ARMS themselves are a part of the bodies of the characters, they sort of "disconnect" when being sent to attack, only bound by the continuously stretching springs that are their arms.
I see, that makes some sense, but for most attacks they're still very much coming from the body. If they're using some spring physics then surely they'd use a projectile as the base for the punches, and just make the fists into said projectile? I could definitely see your take for the Whammer though, or maybe even something like the Dragon... Still seems to discount a good few, unless turning a projectile into a punch is somehow way more difficult than I'd think it'd be...

Minik

Smash Journeyman
The Spring Man assist is weirdly balanced for an assist trophy, you can shield all the hits of flurry attack and get out of the way or parry the final hit. Also he has his actual airdodge animation (not the generic mario style one) and a parry animation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Spring Man assist is weirdly balanced for an assist trophy, you can shield all the hits of flurry attack and get out of the way or parry the final hit. Also he has his actual airdodge animation (not the generic mario style one) and a parry animation.
I do expect assets from the AT to be reused, but the ARMS fighter IMO is going to use Little Mac as a base.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Yeah, Spring Man is among the more detailed Assist Trophies. If I'm not mistaken, he even has the ARMS shield when blocking attacks. I wonder if they'd be bold enough to include that for the playable ARMS character. Probably not since shields aren't something Smash messes with too much. Only :ultyoshi: has a unique shield and only :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: have a "shield special". ARMS-type shield would be a huge boon in Smash as is though. They don't shrink and don't leave you as open when broken.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, Spring Man is among the more detailed Assist Trophies. If I'm not mistaken, he even has the ARMS shield when blocking attacks. I wonder if they'd be bold enough to include that for the playable ARMS character. Probably not since shields aren't something Smash messes with too much. Only :ultyoshi: has a unique shield and only :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: have a "shield special". ARMS-type shield would be a huge boon in Smash as is though. They don't shrink and don't leave you as open when broken.
They would probably leave them open if broken in Smash.

As a bonus, the "dizzy" effect from the shield break could reference when your ARMS are disabled, since it's a state where you're fully vulnerable.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know, I'm actually kind of hoping for Springman at this point. I mean with him we already have ranged normals that can probably be curved, potentially doing multiple attacks at once using different arms, likely what essentially amounts to a projectile command grab, and almost definitely a charge mechanic. Yeah, Min Min has even more going on, but do we really need to add a giant tazer ball on one hand and a fire breathing dragon head on the other on top of all that? I feel like at that point I'd rather just have the assist trophy rule broken.

And I'd definitely rather they do Springman and do it well than try to cram 4 vastly different characters in one slot and end up making them void of personality and unrepresentative of their original versions.

Min Min is definitely my favorite ARMS character, and a top tier smash choice for sure, but Springman on his own might be my new number one pick.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
mmm, but why? I mean, we already knew they were working on something new, we already knew they would have been other 6 characters, and now even if they did that announcement we don't know who the character will be, how he/she will work and we must wait other 2+ months (more or less the same quantity of time passed bewtween Byleth reveal and this announcement)

I really can't see from which point of view this announcement was good
Simply trying to look at this from Nintendo's point of view, the announcement generally reinvigorated the fanbase for the game (whether thats good or bad, doesn't matter, its more attention) and the fact they didn't reveal exactly who it is further increases this attention to the game (as well as ARMS, which is likely the ulterior motive) so it ends up being a win win situation for their company.

Besides, many people were expecting a ARMS character in the base game so the announcement came as an initial surprise but I think has been received well enough due to people accepting it as a recent first party IP.

Yes, its unfortunate that we have to do so much waiting but isn't that a good problem to have? As oppose to having nothing to look forward to? No FP2?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly as long as it isn't Spring Man(with no alts) then I'll be good. Still Min Min, Twintelle and Dr. Coyle are on top of my list.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman

Pretty much came to the same conclusion based off the Bayo speculation.
The theory it has to do with Dr. Coyole and her third arm is interesting but Min Min still makes the most sense to me so far.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Simply trying to look at this from Nintendo's point of view, the announcement generally reinvigorated the fanbase for the game (whether thats good or bad, doesn't matter, its more attention) and the fact they didn't reveal exactly who it is further increases this attention to the game (as well as ARMS, which is likely the ulterior motive) so it ends up being a win win situation for their company.

Besides, many people were expecting a ARMS character in the base game so the announcement came as an initial surprise but I think has been received well enough due to people accepting it as a recent first party IP.

Yes, its unfortunate that we have to do so much waiting but isn't that a good problem to have? As oppose to having nothing to look forward to? No FP2?
Besides, even if people only waited a month between announcement and release, they'd still be impatient.

It's still way a better situation than us Joker fans, who had to wait practically half a year before we even saw his gameplay and release, never mind the amount of "ATLUS holds everything back" accusations at the time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Besides, even if people only waited a month between announcement and release, they'd still be impatient.

It's still way a better situation than us Joker fans, who had to wait practically half a year before we even saw his gameplay and release, never mind the amount of "ATLUS holds everything back" accusations at the time.
Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places, but I only really remember it as one particularly stubborn user making those accusations.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Could we get Spring Man with Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara as 3 alts since they all have similar body types/heights? I'd really like Twintelle and Helix but they're so different they wouldn't be able to be alts.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Could we get Spring Man with Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara as 3 alts since they all have similar body types/heights? I'd really like Twintelle and Helix but they're so different they wouldn't be able to be alts.
Probably not. They all have extendable arms, but that's the extent of their similarities. Their personalities and movement styles, let alone their abilities, would be way too different for an alt. If more than one get in it would have to be as an echo.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'mma have to agree with Rie here. Min Min seems to fit Bayonetta's body type.

Speaking of which, we know Bayonetta's being used for an ARMS character, but I'm curious as to what the Wicked Weaves would have to do with it (since the 7.0.0 glitch involved those). I mean, it seems most likely to me that WIcked Weaves would be used in some way for the ARMS stretchy attacks, but for some reason, I just don't see how they match up.
The Bayonetta glitch most likely means nothing. Banjo and Kazooie were actually based on Ridley of all characters. Even if they weren’t they most likely weren’t based on duck hunt as there were no glitches for character based for smash 4 dlc and the actual bases for ultimate weren’t confirmed.

zferolie

Smash Hero
What do you guys think of this?

Something kinda relevant since you guys are talking about Mario related stuff, there was a datamine of the E-shop, and a flipnote was found. Here's a link to the gamefaqs topic with it, because my computer doesn't want to let me post it here for some reason.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78522656
It shows 6 pictures: smoething related to Animal Crossing New Horizons, a pirate guy with Link in the background, and the pirate was in Skyword Sword meaning it may mean Skyword Sword HD (if Nintendo wants to make Mario's 35 anniversary special, then it seems normal that they do not release BotW2 this year, but still give something to Zelda fans), what seeems to be Paper Mario, Ribbon Girl with aparently a new design (her haircut is shorter), Mario with Cappy, while Luigi and King Boo (potentialy a crossover between Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3) are also there, and Olimar. Take it as you want.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder what the final smash will be like, i mean its bound to be rush but correct me if im wrong but dont the different arms do different things in the rush so its there potential for a bit of speculation on that front? or has it just to long since i played it?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
i wonder what the final smash will be like, i mean its bound to be rush but correct me if im wrong but dont the different arms do different things in the rush so its there potential for a bit of speculation on that front? or has it just to long since i played it?
An idea I have is to make it a cutscene Final Smash that incorporates the Hoops minigame.

Just imagine being able to literally slam dunk your opponent to death.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
An idea I have is to make it a cutscene Final Smash that incorporates the Hoops minigame.

Gonna springboard off of your idea a bit here. Like you said, I expect it to be a cut scene final smash, only instead of the hoops minigame, it would be a combination rush attack from every other arms character (like how Hero's final smash has all of the heroes from the dragon quest games)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

That would be amazing, purely to use against Mii Gunners. You know the ones.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
well thats what happens when you look at all the pages in a row they all blend together, it was either that or she was 2 and that didnt seem right
That’s Helix’s age, lol

Top Bottom