• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
every time i see your avatar i just wonder what the next one will be like
As long as nobody jumps the gun by drawing Kirby with hats for every ARMS character, lel.

Before Ultimate was formally announced, I was pretty confident that Splatoon and ARMS would snag spots so I'm happy ARMS is getting its dues after all this time. Not everyone likes ARMS but:

-It helped launch the Switch
-It's the most successful new IP since Splatoon
-It's Nintendo's first take on a traditional fighting game since 1993

On these notes, I consider it as noteworthy as F-Zero or Pikmin at the very least.
And it reinforces that one-game Nintendo properties are likelier if made by a first or second-party company.

So, since you're here, do you think the ARMS fighter will be the point that turns speculation inside-out?

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
They only do this if you grab while you're jumping. Otherwise you pull the opponent to yourself instead of the other way around. Because Coyle never jumps, that means she always pulls opponents to her with her grab.
Darn, you're right. Well, that should give you an idea how much jump grabbing I see in ARMS...

Staarih

Smash Master
I love seeing this thread so active, going from one message in a like a couple of months to multiple in a day.

I’m also super eager to see how big the Smash effect will be in regards to sales. The latest info we have of ARMS sales is 2.1 million but that’s from 2018. Today it might be closer to 3m and all this Smash buzz will likely help it go a bit further.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
No matter who gets in, I think one of the unique quirks of the ARMS rep will be their grab.
It's pretty safe to say their grab will most likely have the biggest reach in the game, which will probably be balanced by the extending speed being somewhat slow and reactable.

However, there's an interesting difference between Smash and ARMS grabs, one they may or may not bring over in the transition. Instead of pulling the opponent closer, ARMS characters pull themselves to the opponent. This could lead to all kinds of fun shenanigans if retained in Smash. What if you grab an offstage opponent? My hope is this will lead to a unique air throw where you meteor smash them (Master Mummy's throw would fit this to a T). That would be so cool.
Grabbing opponents while airborne sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As long as nobody jumps the gun by drawing Kirby with hats for every ARMS character, lel.

And it reinforces that one-game Nintendo properties are likelier if made by a first or second-party company.

So, since you're here, do you think the ARMS fighter will be the point that turns speculation inside-out?
Inside out only in the sense that people will be on the same page I've been since September: everything is pointing to Season 2 being very, very fanservicey and breaking a lot of "rules" to do it.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Do you guys think there's a possibility that the ARMS character will actually be multiple characters from ARMS, like Hero? I mean most of the ARMS characters do play pretty similarly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Inside out only in the sense that people will be on the same page I've been since September: everything is pointing to Season 2 being very, very fanservicey and breaking a lot of "rules" to do it.
One thing for sure is, it's already broken one fan rule by taking a game whose support ended way earlier than Three Houses, regardless if the ARMS character is highly expected or not.

No matter who gets in, I think one of the unique quirks of the ARMS rep will be their grab.
It's pretty safe to say their grab will most likely have the biggest reach in the game, which will probably be balanced by the extending speed being somewhat slow and reactable.

However, there's an interesting difference between Smash and ARMS grabs, one they may or may not bring over in the transition. Instead of pulling the opponent closer, ARMS characters pull themselves to the opponent. This could lead to all kinds of fun shenanigans if retained in Smash. What if you grab an offstage opponent? My hope is this will lead to a unique air throw where you meteor smash them (Master Mummy's throw would fit this to a T). That would be so cool.
So, what you're saying is that it would be an...ARMicide? :smirk:

Do you guys think there's a possibility that the ARMS character will actually be multiple characters from ARMS, like Hero? I mean most of the ARMS characters do play pretty similarly.
I'd say it's 50/50 on that one, depending on whether they focus solely on base or DLC fighters, or a mix of both.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Regarding the poll, I'm honestly surprised by the votes for Spring Man here. I'm sure there's at least some people who pick him because he breaks 3 fanrules (basically anyone who doesn't care but wants Shadow, Waluigi, Isaac, etc), but outside of him, I definitely expected to see the 3 female spirits up at the top (Min Min, Ribbon Girl, and Twintelle). Kinda surprised how far down Ninjara is, considering he's also a spirit (breaks 1 fanrule) and he was the most popular pick from a poll awhile back, plus got 2nd in Crash Bash.

That said, if I had to pick one character, Twintelle >= Ribbon Girl, as they were my two mains. After that, Min Min because everyone loves her and she's a spirit, and at *that* point, Spring Man just because he breaks more fan rules, but I really, *really* don't like him over other characters; I just wouldn't really care for anyone else at that point.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Baseline yeah they do generic punches and the like. But when you get into the meat and potatoes of it all not really. Springman has a punch deflector and a buff when on a certain amount of health, Ribbon Girl has several jumps etc, ninjara can warp. The arms character will probably use several gloves that are and are not more associated to them anyway so that’s not much of a problem

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Zero percent, imo.

Yes, the basic gameplay is the same, but everyone has some unique abilities and animations that give them personality. It makes them feel like different people. They also all move at different speeds, jump at different height and so on, so it would feel very wrong to see, for example, Ribbon Girl, Spring Man and Ninjara have the same mobility.

Hero worked because all DQ Heroes are blank slates with no personality whatsoever and aside from the magic, had a pretty generic moveset to reflect that. It worked for them because there was no individuality to sacrifice to make it happen, unlike an ARMS rep where cramming multiple people could risk a loss of personality just to match a more generic moveset.

The only way I can see multiple characters in one character slot is Spring Man and Springtron, and that's only because they look extremely similar because even these two have different abilities that make them play differently, even if a first-glance look would make you think they're just carbon copies of each other.

Regarding the poll, I'm honestly surprised by the votes for Spring Man here. I'm sure there's at least some people who pick him because he breaks 3 fanrules (basically anyone who doesn't care but wants Shadow, Waluigi, Isaac, etc), but outside of him, I definitely expected to see the 3 female spirits up at the top (Min Min, Ribbon Girl, and Twintelle). Kinda surprised how far down Ninjara is, considering he's also a spirit (breaks 1 fanrule) and he was the most popular pick from a poll awhile back, plus got 2nd in Crash Bash.

That said, if I had to pick one character, Twintelle >= Ribbon Girl, as they were my two mains. After that, Min Min because everyone loves her and she's a spirit, and at *that* point, Spring Man just because he breaks more fan rules, but I really, *really* don't like him over other characters; I just wouldn't really care for anyone else at that point.
To be fair, this thread started a year before we even knew Ultimate was a thing. Hell, it actually predates ARMS itself.

Some people probably just never changed their vote, not to mention said poll was updated every time we got a new character.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

To be fair, having the ARMS rep not be Spring Man would still be breaking a fan rule.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
To be fair, this thread started a year before we even knew Ultimate was a thing. Hell, it actually predates ARMS itself.

Some people probably just never changed their vote, not to mention said poll was updated every time we got a new character.
Sorry I only ever lurk in the Geno thread; does the poll not wipe votes when a new poll is introduced?

To be fair, having the ARMS rep not be Spring Man would still be breaking a fan rule.
Oh that's true too, not getting the "primary mascot character" or whatever? Though technically, Ribbon Girl is just as much of a mascot as Spring Man is. Both are on the box and were shown off basically together. The only reason Spring Man is considered the mascot slightly more is he's the first playable character.

I really do hope it's Min Min though (as I think she has the best chances), or if it's a Hero/Bowser Jr.-style character, they go with a handful of the favorites: Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (mascots, also quite popular), Min Min (top popular), and Twintelle or Ninjara (also popular), maybe even both. All 5 of the spirits being promoted would be awesome! It'd be quite hard to not please most fans of ARMS with that kind of addition.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Zero percent, imo.

Yes, the basic gameplay is the same, but everyone has some unique abilities and animations that give them personality. It makes them feel like different people. They also all move at different speeds, jump at different height and so on, so it would feel very wrong to see, for example, Ribbon Girl, Spring Man and Ninjara have the same mobility.

Hero worked because all DQ Heroes are blank slates with no personality whatsoever and aside from the magic, had a pretty generic moveset to reflect that. It worked for them because there was no individuality to sacrifice to make it happen, unlike an ARMS rep where cramming multiple people could risk a loss of personality just to match a more generic moveset.

The only way I can see multiple characters in one character slot is Spring Man and Springtron, and that's only because they look extremely similar because even these two have different abilities that make them play differently, even if a first-glance look would make you think they're just carbon copies of each other.

Believe me I'd restart the vote but I can't find an option to. Apparently that's only a luxury afforded to them fancy pinned threads. Do I have to ask a moderator?

Also, I'd add an option for Biff because that's just the sort of pick we have to expect in a post-Piranha Plant world.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Sorry I only ever lurk in the Geno thread; does the poll not wipe votes when a new poll is introduced?
I think votes stay if all that's done is having another option added?

Believe me I'd restart the vote but I can't find an option to. Apparently that's only a luxury afforded to them fancy pinned threads. Do I have to ask a moderator?

Also, I'd add an option for Biff because that's just the sort of pick we have to expect in a post-Piranha Plant world.
Biff would be hilarious lmao

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

All you have to do is hope the right person is lurking at the right time.

Staarih

Smash Master
Zero percent, imo.
As much as I agree, I think it depends on what they want to represent: the characters or the concept of ARMS as a whole. Sakurai is known to be faithul to source material so the unique characteristics of every ARMS fighter are probably to be expected in some capacity, but then again we have characters like Byleth who essentially combines Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude into one. So if all they’re concerned is showcasing long range and stretchy arms, I feel a Hero-like situation could work for characters of the same build.

But we’ll see. I feel like we’ll see something unique given how the character was left under wraps, unless it’s just a thing of development hassles and just nothing concrete to show yet.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
As much as I agree, I think it depends on what they want to represent: the characters or the concept of ARMS as a whole. Sakurai is known to be faithul to source material so the unique characteristics of every ARMS fighter are probably to be expected in some capacity, but then again we have characters like Byleth who essentially combines Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude into one. So if all they’re concerned is showcasing long range and stretchy arms, I feel a Hero-like situation could work for characters of the same build.

But we’ll see. I feel like we’ll see something unique given how the character was left under wraps, unless it’s just a thing of development hassles and just nothing concrete to show yet.
Being fair, it's not that out of place to have Byleth wield those weapons in Smash, because Hero Relics can be wielded by anyone who has a Crest in that game, but if the Crest doesn't match, then the weapon is weaker. And the awesome part is that there's a detail referecing that in Smash because only the whipsword has an orange glow when used. So it's not just shoved in for the sake of uniqueness, there's actual thought and detailing put into it.

And to be even fairer, the concept of someone who primarly has a whip-like weapon wasn't really unique thanks to Belmonts, but being able to wield the weapon triangle is not someone anyone else has and is a cute nod at the gameplay of Fire Emblem games except Byleth's game because it ditched the triangle mechanic but still references how any unit can wield any weapon type regardless of class, so it's fine

An ARMS rep doesn't need to make that kind of stretch pun intended to be unique, because the concept alone is something completely new to Smash.

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. What if the character ends up being Spring Man, but..... not Spring Man?

Fast forward to 31:20. Kosuke Yabuki is talking about the ARMS comic at a GDC panel on the ARMS game from 2018. Here he drops that the Spring Man we see in ARMS is the third dude to have carried that title. There were two other 'Spring Mans' before him.

Now this comic hasn't seen the light of day since. Its release got delayed and now we don't know what's going on with it. The lore may be changing behind the scenes. There's also the question of whether the Party Crash Bash tournament will have any influence with the series moving forward, or if it was just a fun event.

For reference, Splatoon 1 had a Splatfest with Callie and Marie facing off. It's arguable that the loser of this event became the villain in Splatoon 2's single player campaign, and the hero's ally was the winner of the event. We don't know this though. I don't think this was ever confirmed, but is speculated.

For ARMS, I've speculated in the Min Min thread, that since Min Min won, she might carry Max Brass's title of champion in a theoretical ARMS 2. But who knows, maybe it might have influenced the character pick for Smash, or meant nothing at all. Guess we'll learn in time.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My vote goes to Other: Min Min... with a Ninjara echo.

my signature explains my reasoning

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I should've posted sooner but man it's so cool Arms is getting a second chance in this game, I was thinking an Arms fighter would have to wait for Smash 6. While the gameplay is hit or miss for me I'll admit the characters and the overall concept of the world are fantastic. I see Helix, Spring-Man and Min Min as the top three contenders.
Hoping they prove to be super fun

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah I have seen you seeing that, and I am really warming up to that with this ARMS being the first.

I'm still sold on Shantae, even if you haven't been hearing so many rumors of that. It just seems off with her and a lot seem to be moving thatway for her too. Geno is a shoe in for sure as well.

With it being more fanservicy, I can see a few more promotions. Min Min, Shantae, Geno, and Rex and Pyra. Thats 3 from brand new series(Geno could be considered a new series), 2 1st party, and 2 3rd party characters added. the other 2 I can see as big requests. Crash, and someone else. I don't think Sora. Maybe Dante, a Ubisoft character, or a Namco character

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I have seen you seeing that, and I am really warming up to that with this ARMS being the first.

I'm still sold on Shantae, even if you haven't been hearing so many rumors of that. It just seems off with her and a lot seem to be moving thatway for her too. Geno is a shoe in for sure as well.

With it being more fanservicy, I can see a few more promotions. Min Min, Shantae, Geno, and Rex and Pyra. Thats 3 from brand new series(Geno could be considered a new series), 2 1st party, and 2 3rd party characters added. the other 2 I can see as big requests. Crash, and someone else. I don't think Sora. Maybe Dante, a Ubisoft character, or a Namco character
Considering how Sak went out of his way to apologize for Rex getting in as a Mii costume makes me think he and Pyra possibly missed the boat, honestly. Especially since Sak likes the Xenoblade games.

Namco? Up in the air, especially considering how tough it would be to adapt Tekken or Soul Calibur's gameplay.

If nothing happens for Ubisoft, they probably didn't bother to ask Nintendo about it rather than vice-versa.

Fatman believes that the final character, according to someone he's heard from, is a pure tribute to Iwata. Whether it's Balloon Fighter, Lolo (incidentally, he and Lala currently aren't in the game at all) or someone completely different remains to be seen, if true.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Considering how Sak went out of his way to apologize for Rex getting in as a Mii costume makes me think he and Pyra possibly missed the boat, honestly. Especially since Sak likes the Xenoblade games.
Addam from the Torna DLC could be a nice consolation prize, imo. Especially since he'd likely come with Mythra, so whatever ideas could've been used for a Rex/Pyra moveset could still apply here.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I hope the final Smash is something athletic rather then a generic flurry of dragon ball z punches. Imagine if the character grabbed someone and threw them into the Hoops net with a slam dunk LOL
I agree would be pretty boring if the ARMS character just reuses DK and Mac's final smash. So in my mind the final smash should be the flurry of punches then whoever the opponent is after getting hit with the flurry becomes dazed. Then the ARMS character grabs the dazed opponent and then dunks him in a basketball hoop.

That or just incorporate Headlok into the final smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Namco? Up in the air, especially considering how tough it would be to adapt Tekken or Soul Calibur's gameplay.

If nothing happens for Ubisoft, they probably didn't bother to ask Nintendo about it rather than vice-versa.
Yeah I really think Rex is a shoe in now, as Sakurai also was upset or appologized about ARMS not being in the base game. As for Geno and Shantae they are I feel the most requested Spirits wanting to get in, so they feel like a shoe in as well.

Yeah Namco or Ubisoft are both up in the air. Still surprised we haven't gotten any Namco guys when they are helping to make the game. If Ms Pac Man wasn't a legal nightmare she would have been in already as an Echo I am sure. Rayman is honestly the only Ubisoft character I see happening right now, and that is just up in the air.

I do feel fairly certain of those 4 characters though, with probably the other 2 being new 3rd party series... or 1 being a Pokemon rep just because. CRash I feel would be another huge get if Nintendo can do it. Activision sucks as a company but crash is awesome and he was a 90's big icon. Plus I see his reveal trailer bing Live action, using the original Smash 64 commercial but crash leaps in to fight as well in his suit.

If crash gets in this HAS to be his reveal trailer

Icana

Smash Apprentice

Don't mind the video title as it's a bit click baity, but it does a good job of summarizing what's been discussed about Min Min's chances, and info I didn't know about (Min Min was trending on twitter the same day the ARMS Smash news hit?)

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
inb4 it's Springman with a Ribbongirl alt or Ribbongirl with a Springman alt and the newest Part Crash is to determine which it is.

also

arms-nintendo-1585406879.png

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
inb4 it's Springman with a Ribbongirl alt or Ribbongirl with a Springman alt and the newest Part Crash is to determine which it is.
It’s just a regular Party Crash, not a Party Crash Bash. I don’t think that’ll affect much

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Don't mind the video title as it's a bit click baity, but it does a good job of summarizing what's been discussed about Min Min's chances, and info I didn't know about (Min Min was trending on twitter the same day the ARMS Smash news hit?)
Blocked Content!?!? *pulls out religious artifact* BEGONE, EVIL SPIRITS!!!!!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
d so active, going from one message in a like a couple of months to multiple in a day.

I’m also super eager to see how big the Smash effect will be in regards to sales. The latest info we have of ARMS sales is 2.1 million but that’s from 2018. Today it might be closer to 3m and all this Smash
As much as I'd love to see that happen, Smash doesn't always translate into sales. For example, Persona 5 Strikers still sold less on the Switch despite Joker in Smash. Mind you, this is a system where the Switch is often the best selling version of a game. Maybe the demo will help. Who knows. Of course, I'd gladly take the L here if ARMS pushes 3 million.
Hey guys. What if the character ends up being Spring Man, but..... not Spring Man?

Fast forward to 31:20. Kosuke Yabuki is talking about the ARMS comic at a GDC panel on the ARMS game from 2018. Here he drops that the Spring Man we see in ARMS is the third dude to have carried that title. There were two other 'Spring Mans' before him.

Now this comic hasn't seen the light of day since. Its release got delayed and now we don't know what's going on with it. The lore may be changing behind the scenes. There's also the question of whether the Party Crash Bash tournament will have any influence with the series moving forward, or if it was just a fun event.

For reference, Splatoon 1 had a Splatfest with Callie and Marie facing off. It's arguable that the loser of this event became the villain in Splatoon 2's single player campaign, and the hero's ally was the winner of the event. We don't know this though. I don't think this was ever confirmed, but is speculated.

For ARMS, I've speculated in the Min Min thread, that since Min Min won, she might carry Max Brass's title of champion in a theoretical ARMS 2. But who knows, maybe it might have influenced the character pick for Smash, or meant nothing at all. Guess we'll learn in time.
Good post. To your point, ARMS definitly took a lot of queues from Splatoon. For the constant free updates to even using an alien language and in-universe ads (notice how all of the ARMS have logos and what not). I don't doubt that the Party Crash was used for something much like Splatoon's final Splatfest. Not sure it was meant for Smash but it may be something they'd look at.

That said, Min Min has a lot going for her in addition to that. Having kicks helps differentiate herself from, say, Little Mac. Also, Sakurai likes to lean on mechanics from the game and I'm sure he'll look at the Charge mechanic and elemental effects. Min Min plays well into this as she can charge her ARM to make it a dragon.

I don't know if I agree this pass will be "fanservicy" or if its specifically breaking rules for the sake of them. Keep in mind that what fans want isn't always translated well to Nintendo or Sakurai. Were it we might get less Fire Emblem characters. They've added a lot of fan characters already so some of these other characters that are cropping up (say, Dante) probably wont get through to Nintendo.

And it's hard to say ARMS was fanserve for the Smash fandom. A lot of the die hard Smash people were disinterested or upset. So I'm not sure how this fares for characters that are specifically popular within the fandom such as Geno or Shantae. I guess what I'm saying is dont lean to much into specific ideas that we don't have enough about to say one way or another. You could be 100% right and this is complete fanserve. Or it could be Nintendo promoting their own characters so they picked ARMS. Or they are promoting a new game and this was a way to do it and doesn't reflect the rest of the pass. Feel free to guess and ponder. Just be wary into buying too much into your own personal theories (if that makes sense).

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I'm surprised Ninjara wasn't the first person you thought of in that meteor idea.
I did actually, but his throw involves teleporting. Master Mummy's throw feels like something most ARMS characters could pull off in Smash. If we're talking other individuals, Kid Cobra's throw would also suit well and probably be the most cool looking.

Changing subjects, I think this is how the ARMS attributes / elements could work in Smash:

Fire: Ignites the opponent for a short while. Fire attacks have good knockback.
Electric: Stuns opponents like ZSS's Paralyzer.
Wind: Windboxes? Good for gimping certain recoveries.
Stun: Increased hitstun, allowing for more combo opportunities.
Explosion: Additional explosion hitbox on impact, being able to hit bystanders.
Ice: Freezes opponents. Nothing new to Smash.
Blind: This is a tough one. If anything, it could reverse the opponent's controls for a very short while.
Poison: DPS effect like Eiha / Eigaon
Here's something we can all do, user this ARMs tier list maker to show who you want to think will be the most likely.
Cool idea. Here's mine:
my-image.png

Top Bottom