• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
My late night two cents.

Whoever they add, it's just going to have to be one character. Unless they want to try to make an echo fighter, none of the characters in ARMS really play alike aside from Spring Man and Spring Tron, and to a lesser extent Max Brass.

That said, I really want to say my honest guess is going to be Min Min because she ended on top for the final Party Crash Bash. I don't really WANT to say that's what I think is going to happen, because she's my most wanted first-party character and has been since before Ultimate came out (She's even been my Mii Brawler since late Wii U lol). Don't wanna be burned in case it doesn't lol.
But, yeah, Min Min is unique because she can actually mix her normals from having the slow long ranged stuff, and some faster kicks for close / weaker attacks. That way the fighter doesn't have to be such a laggy mess. She also does some flipkick acrobatics which can allow her to have some potential airdashing mechanics alongside deflecting projectiles / attacks while doing it (would be kinda neat if her backroll did reflect projectiles because why not). That's not to forget that she also has an install where she permacharges her left ARM until she's knocked down. Would be an interesting way to keep damage rolling if the opponent can't get in to put her in tumble or somethin'.

Otherwise, I could see a lot of potential for Helix or even Master Mummy. Helix being able to extend his body for your first jump so you can land grounded normals at higher elevations or being able to pancake with his crouch to avoid attacks while standing in place. He's also super slow movement-wise in ARMS, so it'd be a good way to maintain that balance while also remaining faithful.
Or with Master Mummy because his size and natural super armor is better fit for a character in Smash to have the type of range, power, and speed you'd expect to see in Smash. Could you imagine if shielding w/ him still let him heal? Mummy just becomes the lamest character in the game haha.

- - - - -
Overall, I do wonder how they want to approach the weapon system for this fighter. I don't think they'll go beyond the three preferred ARMS the character they choose uses, but I'm unsure how they'll approach using them? Will they just make it so the character uses a type specifically for a normal, or could they code it so you can choose your ARMS? I think it would be really interesting if they made it so you pick your ARMS before a match starts in the character select screen, and between stocks you could maybe use the shoulder buttons to rotate ARMS like between rounds in ARMS. Maybe a bit too convoluted, but it would make Min Min much more interesting if she can choose which ARM she's perma-charging when she gets dragon arm set-up. you know?

EDIT: OH! I forgot the stage!
I mean, I think the stage is just going to be the fighter's home stage from ARMS. BUT I think the hazards could be really neat.
You have the two bomb types that appear when Items are on, Electric and Explosion, and the two Bottles, Burst and Health. Burst could probably increase your Smash Meter if it's turned on, but the other three are pretty self-explanatory.

The coolest thing I thought of is if they could incorporate Headlocke as an Item, or even a Boss character on the stage. Maybe some of the other ARMS combatants can watch in the background, and Headlocke appears and controls one to start wrecking havoc on the stage. Or- as an item- it starts charging it's burst explosion and releases it after a set amount of time, afterwards flying off of the user in the sky like in the game!
Some cool possibilities for gameplay there, unfortunately not a lot of the layouts really work for a legal stage for competitive play, but that's why we have Battlefield and Omega Forms right?

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Please be Min min please be Min min please be Min min......
Also the ARMS stage should definitely have Hedlock as a hazard, maybe working like in the Hedlock Scramble minigame where the first fighter to come into contact with it gets more arms for a few seconds.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's what other people in the Geno thread said, but there are some who delve to deep into the reasons for fighters to get in.

It has been said before, however, we should not discuss other threads like this. Only really leads to bad things.
when will people learn that sakurai's inclusion process amount to him going of theyre cool ill add them

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm pretty stoked this is happening. This is gonna give us a pretty definitive answer on a few fan rules. Also while I know I'm in the minority these days First Party >>>> Third Party. I hope ARMS is a sign of things to come

Also the Arms theme is absolutely amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing to remember is while Spring Man may be the default character which makes him duller in comparison, Sakurai has use the Fighting Game's mechanics themselves as the character's unique gimmick. Ryu is the simplest character in Street Fighter but one of the most complicated in Smash.

And Spring Man does have his own gimmicks to like the ability to reflect punches while dashing and his punches being permanently charged when on low health.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is it dumb that i want the final boss (NOT dR,C) in?
Max Brass? Well he has Spring Man's abilities plus the ability to get hench in a second so he'd be a cool contender.

Or did you mean Headlok? A floating skull with 4 arms would make for a unique fighter that's for sure.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Congrats guys. I always wanted to try out ARMS but there were a bunch other Switch games that took priority and I only had so much cash. I guess I got no excuse now lol.

I've seen a few people tossing that theory around, and I really like it. It's a unique situation that only really applies to this series and it would serve as an way for Nintendo to maintain the AT rule. I don't have anything against the fighters that have been deconfirmed as ATs, but from a game design perspective it always seemed to me that that's the one rule they shouldn't break, since having multiple versions of the same character onscreen as AT and fighter would be confusing to players.
Not having cash seems good enough as an excuse, if you ask me.

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
A bit of a long shot but im hoping for Mechanica. Another heavy fighter would be nice to have, and since Master Mummys whole damage sponge thing is kinda being used by K. Rool...Plus her combination of hovering and dashing would make for some interesting movement for a heavy

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Diverting the conversation from the Geno thread, let's talk about the stuff for the Challenger Pack, like ARMS songs, ARMS spirits, and all that.

Honestly, I think the Victory theme should be first few notes of the main theme. The victory thing that ARMS had is too simplistic and too short, and what I think should be is more energetic and powerful. Perfect for a victory theme.
Never been here before but I intend to be more often after the announcement.

And on topic, in terms of general stages, I’d prefer it to be the Ribbon Ring. The raising floor parts scream smash and would be even cooler if they caused them to dematerialize if hit a certain amount of times.

Realistically speaking it’s probably going to be spring stadium. Probably will be a fun stage with the trampolines on the sides, would need some tweaking to have blast zones and ledges but that’s easily done. Terry’s stage looked pretty basic at first but it’s quite a lot of people’s favourite stage of the first fighters pass so I have no doubt Sakurai would make it fun.

In terms of the actual character I’m pretty certain it’s going to be Springman. The ambiguity in the direct could be because other characters are alts like others have theorised.

The assist trophy won’t really stop them from adding him and it’s very unlikely that the assist suggests anything as it was finalised before Season 2 talk began.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another thing to consider; there's the very real possibility that the chosen one(s) won't have a support thread to begin with, so be prepared if that happens Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 . Also, I noticed that you haven't updated the OP in a long time.

Not having cash seems good enough as an excuse, if you ask me.
I got my copy of the game when it got a discount. Only issue is that I'm missing a Switch.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another thing to consider; there's the very real possibility that the chosen one(s) won't have a support thread to begin with, so be prepared if that happens Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 . Also, I noticed that you haven't updated the OP in a long time.

I got my copy of the game when it got a discount. Only issue is that I'm missing a Switch.
I have actually but half way through updating, I realised the images wouldn't show. I'll fix that at the weekend when I've got more time.

Same with me and Rare Replay.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Is it dumb that i want the final boss (NOT dR,C) in?
It's not dumb because it's what I want too and I'm definitely not dumb :p ...wait...

All joking aside, Max Brass is a solid choice if they don't want someone too gimmicky. And goddamn, he just feels hype from a personality standpoint.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's not dumb because it's what I want too and I'm definitely not dumb :p ...wait...

All joking aside, Max Brass is a solid choice if they don't want someone too gimmicky. And goddamn, he just feels hype from a personality standpoint.
Like a combo of Little Mac, Incinaroar and Captain Falcon!

Staarih

Smash Master
So, any idea for music and the stage? It's probably going to be one of the arena's, I think I've thought of Sky Arena before as it is a pretty important stage (being the final stage of the Grand Prix). Seeing how Terry's and Byleth's stages came about, I can totally see background cameos of any other ARMS characters that do not become playable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, any idea for music and the stage? It's probably going to be one of the arena's, I think I've thought of Sky Arena before as it is a pretty important stage (being the final stage of the Grand Prix). Seeing how Terry's and Byleth's stages came about, I can totally see background cameos of any other ARMS characters that do not become playable.
Chances are it'll be the stage of the character with a bit of flair from the others.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Chances are it'll be the stage of the character with a bit of flair from the others.
I wonder who would have the best character and stage combo then. I don't think the stage matching the character is a guarantee, but it is likely if the stage would work decently well.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm thinking it'd be the Sky Arena. It could have a large screen in the background that plays all the battles you've saved in your Replays, and Hedlok could be the hazards affected by the toggle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder who would have the best character and stage combo then. I don't think the stage matching the character is a guarantee, but it is likely if the stage would work decently well.
Well MinMin's stage would be a repeat of Green Hill if they didn't add anything else.

I'd say the best one for Smash would be Max Brass's Sky Arena

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Sky Arena has always jumped out to me when I've thought of a stage from ARMS. No only is the sunset background beautiful, it's set on a skyscraper, thus being the only ARMS stage that can have offstage play in Smash without making some relatively big changes to the original layout. In my mind the bleachers act as a wall on the left (maybe with the protruding Max Brass statue acting as a high platform), the raised arena is in the middle (with narrow, slightly lower sections to either side) and on the right there's a sheer drop (maybe with an added overhang instead of the fence).

As for hazards, ARMS' own items would work really well in my opinion. They would all of course be dropped randomly by the item drones:

HP Juice would act like the Healing Field, creating a percentage decreasing area for a short while.
Rush Juice would only appear when the FS Meter is on, rapidly filling the meter for anyone inside the area.
Fire Bombs explode after a short time, dealing knockback.
Shock Bombs explode after a short time and either stun or daze anyone in their range.

Guest characters feel like a no-brainer, the lineup consisting of various ARMS characters.
If we're going the extra mile, the crowd in ARMS is always dressed up as their favourite competitors. What if in Smash they'd wear shirts with the series logo of the fighter they're rooting for?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Smash Twitter is so obnoxious, seeing "ARMS LITERAL WHO???" all over the place. Happily I'm also seeing some of the better known smash/nintendo tubers like Alpharad defend the choice.
I remember a discussion about Smash 4 speculation and people were saying that Pacman was called a literal who by a few people so..... yeah

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As Lola Pop currently has no thread, here's an art for her anyway.

EUH8cCiXkAMzLvj.png

Our :ultbanjokazooie: superfan Krazy sure worked fast cranking it out, I will say.

I remember a discussion about Smash 4 speculation and people were saying that Pacman was called a literal who by a few people so..... yeah
So few people take advantage of the Internet for game research, it's embarrassing. Same thing happened in regards to :ult_terry:.

Still glad gaming magazines (among other things) exposed me to most noteworthy series, in the past...

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Min Min is my top pick. Twintelle is second best.

Please let it be one of them so we can finally put the "Spirits Deconfirm" thing to rest.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
for all we know theyll mess with us and give us a stage based on the arms getter

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So there's 10 ARMS characters who are NOT in Smash in any capacity. Pick one as playable and that leaves 9 characters for the Spirit Board, whichi is quite convenient.

Those 10 are: Springtron, Mechanica, Helix, Max Brass, Dr Coyle, Lola Pop, Kid Cobra, Master Mummy, Misango, and Byte/Barq. It's not far out there that it's one of them and NOT a spirit upgrade or whatever.

My PERSONAL GUESSES:

1. Max Brass: Head of the ARMS thing, big heavy character with a long range moveset, I can already see the fist on his head on Kirby's head

2. Lola Pop: Her inflating thing gives her a little more to work with as far as a moveset goes.

3. Kid Cobra, but not necessarily because of him himself, but rather his skate park stage has the spinny platforms and that might translate to Smash well.

Attachments

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Best stage for Smash is without a doubt the Sky Arena.

But it doesn't mean Max Brass is a guarantee, because you can also argue that it's a Coyle stage due to being an alternate final boss in Grand Prid.

Those 9 are: Springtron, Helix, Max Brass, Dr Coyle, Lola Pop, Kid Cobra, Master Mummy, Misango, and Byte/Barq. It's not far out there that it's one of them and NOT a spirit upgrade or whatever.
You forgot Mechanica.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Best stage for Smash is without a doubt the Sky Arena.

But it doesn't mean Max Brass is a guarantee, because you can also argue that it's a Coyle stage due to being an alternate final boss in Grand Prid.

You forgot Mechanica.
I DID forget Mechanica. I thought she had a spirit. I was wrong, so i edited just like a second ago.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Personally, I think it'll be one of two characters, these two being Max Brass and Dr. Coyle.

These two probably have the most lore when it comes to the world of ARMS right now, so they would make sense from a "story" perspective and probably the closest thing to a "main character" they could add with Spring Man out of the running.

But I feel like which one is picked depends on whether they want to stick solely to what ARMS is or take that foundation and expand on it by making a moveset that combines what ARMS is alongside all kinds of tricks that the character could be capable of.

Max Brass would be the former because his gimmicks are very simple and straight to the point (not to mention similar to Spring Man's gimmicks for the most part), so the focus would be on ranged punches just like ARMS alongside his trademark gimmick of buffing himself. The buffing mechanic he has would fit very well with an special that charges his ARMS and give him a pretty dynamic gameplay where you want to try to reap the benefits of the buff as much as possible.

Dr. Coyle would be the latter, because she's created so many things that I can see then really going all in for the moveset, borrowing stuff from her creations to fill the gaps in her moveset, like Springtron's shockwave or being able to summon the 1-on-100 enemies as a special. And that's not mentionning the hover shenanigans she could have or how her Lokjaw ARM alone has a ton of versatility, potentially acting as fists, projectile launchers or even biting attacks.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think people are forgetting that a rule is still being broken when they suggest that the fighter won't be Spring Man. You can't escape rule violations with ARMS, as you either gotta promote the AT or have the first rep not be a main protagonist.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, Dr. Coyle has some...figure that would handily fit the glitch that occurred regarding :ultbayonetta:'s shield, thus being the one Bayo is a base for.

I wouldn't mind if some of the other ones get the Junior/Hero treatment somehow though.

Whoever it is, I feel that we're in for an especially interesting moveset.

I think people are forgetting that a rule is still being broken when they suggest that the fighter won't be Spring Man. You can't escape rule violations with ARMS, as you either gotta promote the AT or have the first rep not be a main protagonist.
With Nintendo calling the shots, trend breaking of some sort is a distinct possibility. Fortunately ARMS is loose enough in regards to mascots for this to be gotten away with.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Most of these "rules" are invented by the fanbase rather than coming from Sakurai's mouth, to be fair.

The only rule outright stated by Sakurai himself is that a third-party has to originate from a video game, and that rule has yet to be broken.

And ARMS has so little story that it makes more sense to bring Brass or Coyle, who carry most of the lore, than anyone not named Spring Man anyway.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So, here's a thought...

Do you think we'll get a trailer with everyone fighting over the envelope until one or more of them successfully grab it? That'd keep us guessing.
I don't see it just because it wouldn't be very creative since they already did that for Terry.

Could happen, I just don't personally see it.

Top Bottom