• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Let it be known!

I voted for Ribbon girl from the start.
Let’s go Ribby!!

If it comes to a Hero situation, which I doubt it, it’ll come to Spring Man and Ribbon Girl at most, and Ninjara replaces Spring Man when he’s on the field (or replace him altogether).

So glad to get a rep from arms. It’s like one of the five 1st party characters I support, even though I’ve never played it.
As many have mentioned Springtron could easily replace the Spring Man assist if need be. A lot of people seem to kind of forget Springtron even exists it seems.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Assuming we're promoting Spring Man, I've decided to concoct a moveset for him.

Unique Mechanic: ARMS: Spring Man can use two attacks simultaneously, due to the nature of his stretchy arms. However, if he pulls this off, he cannot act at all until both arms have reached 3 Bowsers away from him, or when his attacks collide with anything. The attacks that can be involved are his Ground attacks (Jab, Tilts, Smash Attacks), and his tilt-aerials. You cannot use an aerial attack in tandem with a ground attack. Meaning: Side Smash → Up Tilt. Forward Aerial -X-> Up Smash.

Unique Mechanic: Abilities: Spring Man has 2 abilities: the first is to charge his ARMS for added effects by shielding for long enough. Charging ARMS will give his attacks added effects, but if he doesn’t attack for long enough, the charge will go away. Additionally, if he attacks and he doesn’t hit anything, the charge will go away. The second ability is to gain permanent charge to his ARMS if he reaches either 100% or ⅓ of his HP, similarly to Terry and his Desperation Moves.

Jab: Spring Man will throw up to two punches straight towards his opponent.

Side-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to perform a curve punch.

Up-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to curve an upwards punch.

Down-tilt: Spring Man will throw one arm to cause a punch to glide along the ground before curving back upwards.

Dash attack: Spring Man will slam both his fists into the ground in front of himself.

Grab: Spring Man will reach out with both arms simultaneously as a tether grab. He will punch the opponent in the face up close for his pummel while his other arm is coiled around the opponent.

F-throw: Spring Man will reel back his arms and launch the opponent like a slingshot. Based on Byte and Barq’s throw.

D-throw: Spring Man will whirl his arms and smash his opponent into the ground. Based on Master Mummy’s throw.

B-throw: With a spin, Spring Man will throw his opponent behind himself. Based on Ribbon Girl’s throw.

U-throw: Spring Man will throw a gut punch before uppercutting them. Based on his own throw.

N-air: Spring Man will spin in the air while his arms are outstretched.

F-air: Spring Man will throw one of his arms out in front of himself.

D-air: Spring Man will whip one of his arms downwards before causing it to plummet downwards. The whip itself can spike, but not the outstretching.

B-air: Spring Man will throw one of his arms behind himself.

U-air: Spring Man will whip one of his arms upwards before shooting it upwards.

Side Smash: Spring Man will reel back one of his arms with the Megaton before shooting it forwards. When charged, the Megaton will be the size of King K. Rool and deal more damage.

Up Smash: Spring Man will curl inwards with the Parasol before throwing it upwards. When charged, the Parasol will have a windbox around it and inflict multiple hits of damage and knockback.

Down Smash: Spring Man will take up the Blorb arm and throw it downwards, creating a burst of goo around himself. When charged, the Blorb will cover the opponent’s face with goo and temporarily invert their controls.

Neutral B: ARMS Switch: At the press of the B button, Spring Man can enter a menu where he can swap between one of three different ARMS for both his limbs. You first choose an ARM for the left, then an ARM for the right before he can continue. These three ARMS are as follows:

• Toaster: The ARMS you start with. When charged, they can deal fire damage and knock opponents down.
  • Boomerang: His second ARMS type. These ARMS curve when he attacks with them, going into either the background or the foreground. The Boomerang, when charged, has increased knockback and a windbox from the outside on impact.
  • Tribolt: A multi-hit ARMS type. These fire three smaller projectiles that can be good for sustained damage. The Tribolt, when charged, can stun opponents, increasing combo potential.
Side B: Guardian: Spring Man will hold a shield with tribal markings out in front of himself. If that arm is hit, they will be immediately countered. Spring Man, however, can move while the Guardian is out, and it can inflict electrical damage when charged.

Up B: Barq Spring: Spring Man will bounce off of Barq and jump upwards. Barq can linger for a bit, shooting an ARM of his own before disappearing for a bit.

Down B: Shockwave: Spring Man will enter a stance when this move is used. While holding the B button, his ARMS will flash blue occasionally. When this happens, Spring Man can dodge in the direction of the joystick while releasing a shockwave that deflects all projectiles and stuns all enemies that are attacking.

Final Smash: Rush Attack: Spring Man will attack with a flurry of punches, his arms changing between all known ARMS types from his game. He will finish with Hedlok attaching to Spring Man’s head and firing a large blast from his mouth.

In short, Spring Man is a long-distance fighter who values advantageous positioning to make use of his unique combo structure. His ability to use two separate attacks simultaneously can add to immense mind games, and due to the nature of his stretchy limbs, he has a tether recovery for almost every attack he uses. Additionally, his ability to charge his ARMS can further add to offensive gameplay. However, he’s not exactly fast, and his attacks can be easily avoided due to how slow they are, much like in ARMS. Also, his only means of defense with his Down B requires tight timing to pull off very well, making it not as reliable as the rest of his moves.

It might be a little too complex, but hey, I tried to replicate the spirit of ARMS here, right?

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Please be literally anyone besides Springman, any unique gimmick you can give him can be done with just about anyone in ARMS (and even better too).

Even his evil robot clone would be a better pick than him imo

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'm going to say here what I said on the DLC Speculation thread, because it seems like a lot of people are assuming Spring Man.

"There's no question that the ARMS announcement narrows things down a LOT, but way too many people are jumping the gun by speculating about characters who are ATs/Spirits again, and jumping the gun again on the other side of the argument.
Because here's the thing: There are enough characters in ARMS who aren't either to make a Fighter and have enough leftover for a Spirit Board, So no so-called 'fan rules' have been debunked YET. Come June, we will know definitively know the answer to that question.

Here's how I see the situation:
IF the Fighter is a character who is in the game already, THEN we can say Spirits could be back in consideration.
BUT if the Fighter is NOT in the game already, then we know Spirits/ATs are not being considered.
Either way, ARMS will shut this debate down once and for all.

Me personally? I'm of the leaning that Spirits are a hard no, so my money's on either Master Mummy, Max Brass or Dr. Coyle. Coming from someone who hasn't played the game, one of those three seems like they'd be next in line. I do not think, however, that they'll do an echo/alt, because even though I haven't played ARMS, I can tell the special abilities are way too unique for that. Plus, they've already said no Echo Fighters when FP1 was announced."

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Reposted from Social:

I'll say this: this is the weirdest reveal yet; solely for the fact that they didn't tell us who, but rather the franchise they come from. Part of me thinks that this is a sign of "it's not who you think it is."

I really don't care which character it is, they're all interesting (except Springtron), but I will say there are a few I'd definitely be less excited for.

Min Min or Mechanica would be the most interesting for me, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the mascots, Master Mummy would be a neat new heavyweight, and Dr. Coyle's the villain and arguably the best suited due to having the most varied abilities and being relevant to what little story the game has (being the person who manufactures ARMS themselves.)

Ninjara, while fine from a design perspective, would be yet another ninja on the roster (and I feel if we get another, it's Hayabusa or nothing), Byte and Barq are a true "gimmick character" and nothing more, Twintelle is overrated simply because people are horny (seriously, there's nothing else interesting about her), and Lola Pop is... cute, I guess?

Everyone else is just too unmemorable for me to want. Max Brass and Helix at least have interesting designs, but that's the end of the positives, Misango is "ooga booga jungle man", Kid Cobra is... a skater? I guess? I actually dislike his design the most of all, and Springtron's not getting in over his original character, Spring Man. That's including Ken without Ryu there.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Somebody floated the idea that this could be a promotional pick ,and that alongside a character in June, we could get an announcement of ARMS 2 in the usual around E3 time Direct. Following this logic, if they're trying to keep this character secret until June, do we think they'll pull a Roy in Melee and put a currently unrevealed new ARMS character from an speculated ARMS sequel? What are everybody's thoughts on that?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Somebody floated the idea that this could be a promotional pick ,and that alongside a character in June, we could get an announcement of ARMS 2 in the usual around E3 time Direct. Following this logic, if they're trying to keep this character secret until June, do we think they'll pull a Roy in Melee and put a currently unrevealed new ARMS character from an speculated ARMS sequel? What are everybody's thoughts on that?
There'd probably be more salt than Corrin in SSB4. I dunno what the reaction of Marth and Roy were back in the Melee days, but I just don't see that happening.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
They're like: Oh, why are they doing in smash but that's cool that we can play as a character with a sword only.
Also a lot of “what’s fire emblem? Why haven’t any of those games come out here when they’re on the sixth one? And it’s like advance wars? I love advance wars!”

UbisoftDanny2000

Smash Cadet
Trolling/spam
Honestly, i am very disappointed... I would have preferred to see Sam Fisher from Tom Clancy's Splinter cell, I think he would have made for the perfect Ubisoft rep (and they deserve one). Wayyyy more people played Splinter Cell than ARMS, let's face it. And Sam Fisher is way better of a design than 90% of ARMS characters. But you know what, it could be cool if they added every character from ARMS into one like they do with the Koopalings and Hero.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Another thought about an ARMS character I just had: I see people floating in this thread that an ARMS character could have skins of the other ARMS characters. Along those lines, people are also remembering how each character had special attributes and their own special arms. Well, one of the things you could do in ARMS was have other character equip different characters signature arms. This idea seems to work in favor of giving an ARMS rep a unique moveset while letting everybody play. If every ARMS character can equin Min Min's dragon lazer arm, then Springman could be the default character, but still have the dragon lazer as a side special, and Min-Min could be a skin. Ditto for any of the unique arms really. Shields, rockets, nunchuks, hammers, party poppers, etc. Do we think Nintendo could do that?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Another thought about an ARMS character I just had: I see people floating in this thread that an ARMS character could have skins of the other ARMS characters. Along those lines, people are also remembering how each character had special attributes and their own special arms. Well, one of the things you could do in ARMS was have other character equip different characters signature arms. This idea seems to work in favor of giving an ARMS rep a unique moveset while letting everybody play. If every ARMS character can equin Min Min's dragon lazer arm, then Springman could be the default character, but still have the dragon lazer as a side special, and Min-Min could be a skin. Ditto for any of the unique arms really. Shields, rockets, nunchuks, hammers, party poppers, etc. Do we think Nintendo could do that?
I think Nintendo can certainly mix-and-match ARMS for the character. That's one of the main aspects of the game, after all. The only problem I can see with having alternate costumes of different ARMS characters is the unique abilities. Twintelle can slow down incoming attacks, Spring Man has a shockwave that he can use to deflect attacks, Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps, etc. The only unique ability I can see shared amongst them all is having Barq in the moveset, but besides that, it seems difficult and all. Or, you know, they just don't include the unique traits at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
here's a straw to grasp at, it announcement said the character has extendable arms so does that rule out twintelle and mechanica? (relax just a joke) im gonna die laughing if its biff

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The real twist is that we are actually getting a Bowser Jr. situation, but instead of multiple Koopalings in Clown Karts, it's the ARMS fighters possessed by Hedlok.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Besides Spring Man / Springtron, I feel that having any ARMS character as an alt to another would lead to gross misrepresentation of their abilities and personality, and I can't see it happening.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Besides Spring Man / Springtron, I feel that having any ARMS character as an alt to another would lead to gross misrepresentation of their abilities and personality, and I can't see it happening.
i imagine a few koopaling fans might have said the same

zferolie

Smash Hero
Was this mentioned somewhere. It seems only the Logos for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Mechanica, and Master Mummy are in the background...

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I mean... :ultganondorf::ultroy::ultness::ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultzelda:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Was this mentioned somewhere. It seems only the Logos for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Mechanica, and Master Mummy are in the background...

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't they some of the very first characters revealed for the game? Perhaps they decided to reuse some old assists from that time?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean... :ultganondorf:
*insert gif of Brawl/Smash 4 Ganondorf jogging like an old tired man.*

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't they some of the very first characters revealed for the game? Perhaps they decided to reuse some old assists from that time?
There is no Ninjara.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Oh. GUYS!

Remember that Bayonetta visual glitch from 7.0.0? The one where Bayonetta's bodysuit doesn't shrink whenever she uses her Wicked Weaves? I think that narrows down who might be the lucky ARMS fighter!
I sure hope so.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if the Admins will move all the ARMS threads to a sub-thread for character number 76 or am I getting ahead of everything?

In any case, I wonder who'll be the Spirits. I'm assuming the Legend will be Max Brass.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I wonder if the Admins will move all the ARMS threads to a sub-thread for character number 76 or am I getting ahead of everything?

In any case, I wonder who'll be the Spirits. I'm assuming the Legend will be Max Brass.
I actually think it'll be Hedlok. It's been one of the big bads for the game long before Dr. Coyle was revealed, and it also has potential for some unique spirit effect like Critical Instant Final Smash or something.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I mean... :ultganondorf::ultroy::ultness::ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultzelda:
Assuming this isn't just snark:
:ultganondorf:Cursed by his history as a Falcon clone. Could argue that his Smash representation is now iconic in it's own right.
:ultroy:Personality was not known to Sakurai so he based it on playstyle. Ironically, Roy's Smash depiction seems more popular.
:ultness::ultlucas:Blank slates. Using abilities other than their own is at least plausible since they're all PK, learned and have nothing to do wit their physique.
:ultdaisy:Echo, so naturally abilities aren't represented to the fullest. Same with :ultdarksamus:.
:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:I'll give you this one, but come on. 7 slots for alts, 7 Koopalings... The opportunity's just too good.
:ultzelda:Dunno why she's here.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised that an Arms characters made it in. I remember reading somewhere that Arms had bad sales or wasn't popular.

But if this Arms characters is meant to represent the modern video games the other slots might be reserved for retro characters and fan favorites. I hope so.

Anyway, my vote goes to Ribbon Girl even if I have never played Arms. More female characters would be great since there was only one (arguably two if we count Kazooie) in the previous fighter pass.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm suprised that an Arms characters made it in. I remember reading somewhere that Arms had bad sales or wasn't popular.

But if this Arms characters is meant to represent the modern video games the other slots might be reserved for retro characters and fan favorites. I hope so.

Anyway, my vote goes to Ribbon Girl even if I have never played Arms. More female characters would be great since there was only one (arguably two if we count Kazooie) in the previous fighter pass.
Far from it, ARMS sold pretty well but because everyone was comparing it to Splatoon, it only appeared to flop in comparison.

And it would be nice to have a female DLC character without an asterisk next to it. Haven't had one of those since Bayonetta.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another argument against Spring Man.

If it were him development time would be much shorter given he already has an existing model in the game.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Assuming this isn't just snark:
:ultganondorf:Cursed by his history as a Falcon clone. Could argue that his Smash representation is now iconic in it's own right.
:ultroy:Personality was not known to Sakurai so he based it on playstyle. Ironically, Roy's Smash depiction seems more popular.
:ultness::ultlucas:Blank slates. Using abilities other than their own is at least plausible since they're all PK, learned and have nothing to do wit their physique.
:ultdaisy:Echo, so naturally abilities aren't represented to the fullest. Same with :ultdarksamus:.
:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:I'll give you this one, but come on. 7 slots for alts, 7 Koopalings... The opportunity's just too good.
:ultzelda:Dunno why she's here.
No snark intended. Just pointing out that there are plenty of cases where characters aren't fully "in character" so to speak.

:ultzelda: is there because her move set is based on spells that are learned by Link in Ocarina of Time. These were kept even after the switch to the Twilight Princess incarnation and now the A Link to the Past/Between Worlds incarnations. Plus the one new move she's gained in between games is from the Spirit Tracks Zelda.

:ultness::ultlucas:have the whole "Poo and Kumatora taught them stuff to be in Smash" thing going in some of the trophy descriptions I think, but I wouldn't call them blank slates. They could very easily have move sets with their own abilities and items, albeit probably not as straight forward and less "fun/interesting" depending on who you ask.

Overall, I'd love if there was ample dev time and resources to have a couple of unique ARMS characters added in the game, but with just the one I do think it's at least plausible for them to take one character and give them the signature arms of some of the other fighters for some moves, etc. And along with that, some of the characters that the main one borrows from could be alts if the body type is similar enough.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
as the owner of the min min thread I'm here to say I really don't care who it ends up being

while Min Min would be nice, i think ARMS in general just needs a rep,

besides, I already got a dream character in Byleth, so I'm all set in the most wanteds department

Honestly, I think the best possible outcome is a bowser jr. situation where we get a bunch of ARMS fighters as one mish mash character.

time will tell tho, good luck everyone, nice to see we're at least getting someone

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
One issue with that. Each of the characters have different body dimensions and heights that they wouldn't fit.
A full on 8 character set like Jr. and Koopalings wouldn't work, but at the very least we could have a male/female duo via Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. This would be similar to Robin, Corrin and the Wii Fit Trainer, of course in this case with two actual different characters.

What I'm hoping for however, would be for them to stretch that into a Hero situation by adding Ninjara and Min Min into the mix, for a set of 4 characters over one move set. Among the ARMS cast they have the most similar body types that could be feasibly tweaked to be close enough to each other.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i would guess the missing fighters biff and hedlock, i suppose max does make sense for the legend if not him then maybe hedlock

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A full on 8 character set like Jr. and Koopalings wouldn't work, but at the very least we could have a male/female duo via Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. This would be similar to Robin, Corrin and the Wii Fit Trainer, of course in this case with two actual different characters. Or what I'm hoping for would be for them to stretch that into a Hero situation by adding Ninjara and Min Min into the mix as well for 4 characters over one move set. among the ARMS cast they have the most similar body types that could be feasibly tweaked to be close enough to each other.
True that did slip my mind.

Granted I don't expect it to be Spring Man/Ribbon Girl since I feel they would had revealed them otherwise right away.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One issue with that. Each of the characters have different body dimensions and heights that they wouldn't fit.
Well all the alternate gender characters had different proportions and were altered. Not to mention Roy and Morton betting hit with Mini-Mushrooms. Granted there will be some it just plain can't work with like Master Mummy.

Most likley 4 are Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min if that's the case. I'd prefer that they take one character and bring their gimmick over to Smash though. Like Min-Min's Dragon Arm or Lola Pop's bounce guard

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Most likley 4 are Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min if that's the case. I'd prefer that they take one character and bring their gimmick over to Smash though. Like Min-Min's Dragon Arm or Lola Pop's bounce guard
I think the only gimmick that could apply to literally any character without problems would be Barq. Maybe for an Up B or something?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well all the alternate gender characters had different proportions and were altered. Not to mention Roy and Morton betting hit with Mini-Mushrooms. Granted there will be some it just plain can't work with like Master Mummy.

i dont fancy her odds but lola would be amazing

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Another argument against Spring Man.

If it were him development time would be much shorter given he already has an existing model in the game.
Not inherently imo. His AT looks shrunken as opposed to if he were a character, with overall less detail and polish than a character model, since, y'know, the ATs aren't characters. Not to mention that on top of making the AT model look presentable, they'd need to add a lot of new animations for attacks, grabs, shielding, final smash, dodges, etc.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not inherently imo. His AT looks shrunken as opposed to if he were a character, with overall less detail and polish than a character model, since, y'know, the ATs aren't characters. Not to mention that on top of making the AT model look presentable, they'd need to add a lot of new animations for attacks, grabs, shielding, final smash, dodges, etc.
Agreed. Case in point, Little Mac and Dark Samus. Little Mac gained a more youthful appearance transitioning from Brawl to 4, and Dark Samus has more detail, such as visible veins, as well as her own effects with Charge Beam and the like. Both needed a bit of work put into the two (The former being a full-fledged fighter and the latter being a Samus echo that floats), so the same can certainly be applied to Spring Man.

Top Bottom