• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I mean Ribbongirl is still a potential choice since she’s the other face of the game.
Well all are still viable if AT Spring Man is replaced by Springtron upon purchase.

Personally, given how she was so popular that Nintendo added her to the beta out of public demand, Twintelle is looking the most likely to me.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Well all are still viable if AT Spring Man is replaced by Springtron upon purchase.

Personally, given how she was so popular that Nintendo added her to the beta out of public demand, Twintelle is looking the most likely to me.
That or Min Min. Would prefer to see her honestly. (Totally not biased because I main her. Lol) But I wouldn’t mind any of them appearing.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing I think people neglect with ARMS is how much Nintendo still promotes the game. ARMS was part of the most recent Nintendo Live event along with Smash Bros and Splatoon. The tournament even have Ibuki, the game's producer, commentating on the event. Here are some of the videos from the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVND0fGUkU&t=709s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqolE86ZfJg

I think one of the disconnects when it comes to ARMS is that while it seemed to not do that well, it actually did better in Japan. The game was the best selling fighting game in Japan for the last three years. More than Tekken 7 and SFV. (Source) There is also the Graphic Novel coming out. When you look at it, ARMS is definitely one of the series Nintendo wants to push (and I wouldn't be surprised if ARMS got a sequel after Mario Kart 9). I think its a top contender for DLC, especially given its a new series and there is no ARMS music yet in Smash.

So, double post, but this topic isn't that active so hopefully folks don't mind. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I'm starting to think Ribbon Girl will get in as DLC. Let me explain.

So, something people often neglect, especially if they aren't familiar with ARMS, is that while Spring Man is the true main character, Ribbon Girl actual has as much weight in the series as he does and they are often shown together. So for examples

In the original trailer, they show off Spring Man and Ribbon Girl together.

The Boxart for the game(which is also the original title screen) also has bot of them on it

Other Promotional Material shows them together.

ARMS Promo2.jpg

And typically, other images and artwork usually feature these two prominently together. Here is an example of what I mean (notice how they are front and center compared to the other characters). There are other examples, including the one for the Global Test Punch, but I'll keep it at this since I've already added a lot.

Basically, both Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are considered the faces of ARMS. ARMS is a multiplayer focused game so having two characters rather than a single character is probably done to reinforce that. But I digress.

So I figured for a while that Spring Man could be in if you have Springtron replace him when Spring Man is in the match. This is a decent workaround but is a bit redundant since, at least in the teams eyes, he's already in the game. At the same time, having Ribbon Girl as the DLC means that both characters are represented in the game: Spring Man as the AT and Ribbon Girl as the playerable fighter. Then, both the main characters of ARMS have a major role in Smash. This would line up with how the game depicts them. Also, it does open the door for Spring Man to be an echo (assuming they'll add any echos) since they are pretty similar but mostly because it may be less weird to have an echo also be an AT (think that may be why Chrom gets away with being Robin's FS as well). Regardless, this way the main characters of ARMS are both in Smash so it's a winwin in Nintendo's eyes.

By the by, if this seems weird, remember that Morrigan is the face of Darkstalkers despite Demitri is the actual main character.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you guys, but I want an action game starring Min Min. Cute martial arts girl kicking butt, and swinging around with her noodle powers, sounds like a winning recipe to me. I just think her design is brilliant all around. :)

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't know about you guys, but I want an action game starring Min Min. Cute martial arts girl kicking butt, and swinging around with her noodle powers, sounds like a winning recipe to me. I just think her design is brilliant all around. :)
I feel like Captain Falcon has to get that game first.

Though it would be nice to get more about the characters and world of ARMS. There is a graphic novel coming out next year so hopefully we'll see more of the cast.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
The great thing about ARMS is that almost every fighter could be an echo fighter. The biggest surprise of Ultimate was not having an ARMS rep.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's that time of year again.

I wonder if they'll do an ARMS sequel that fleshes out the other aspects of the game like a more story and extended challenge modes

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Results of the final Party Crash are in and the Winner, who is now officially the winner of ARMS is

MIN MIN!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's that time of year again.

I wonder if they'll do an ARMS sequel that fleshes out the other aspects of the game like a more story and extended challenge modes
I think they need to flesh out the core gameplay some more, at least if we want fighters from ARMS to be taken seriously as candidates for Smash. As it is, assist trophy Spring Man pretty much covers the basis of what an ARMS fighter does short of grabbing.

What I'd like to see is a more dynamic close range game, like each fighter has a unique set of moves they unleash when they get close enough to one another instead of the usual stretchy punches.

We do have lots of lore already, what I'm wondering is if we'd get a full-blown villain in a sequel (it may take a while waiting for Smash hype to ultimately die down and give it a chance, but I'm fairly certain it'll come eventually), since even Coyle at worst is just antagonistic.

The Results of the final Party Crash are in and the Winner, who is now officially the winner of ARMS is

MIN MIN!
I'm not sure what this'll mean for her chances in future Smash endeavors, but I definitely see her being prominent in anything promoting ARMS going forward.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

MIN MIN!
awesome, perhaps she'll end up as the most prominent one if there ever another arms. at the very least i hope the give her a mii fighter costume in recognition

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
awesome, perhaps she'll end up as the most prominent one if there ever another arms. at the very least i hope the give her a mii fighter costume in recognition
I always saw Min-Min as the Chun-Li of ARMS in terms of playstyle. Now she matches in popularity too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

MIN MIN!
Good deal, literal noodle arms won! Even if I do like Dr. Coyle more.

Wonder if this'll result in fighting a robot doppelganger of herself in a hypothetical ARMS 2.

Also, has there been any news for the Dark Horse comic adaptation?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Good deal, literal noodle arms won! Even if I do like Dr. Coyle more.

Wonder if this'll result in fighting a robot doppelganger of herself in a hypothetical ARMS 2.

Also, has there been any news for the Dark Horse comic adaptation?
I get the feeling the actual outcomes of these Party Crashes are largely superfluous to Coyle's ultimate goal of just getting more data on the fighters. Everything in the lore, including that comic preview seems to paint Spring Man as the most skilled fighter canonically, behind only Max Brass, which is why Coyle based Springtron on him.

Not that I'd be opposed to this game having a version of Shadow Lady. And I do like Coyle just as much as you do, being one of those ''villains'' (if you can really call her that with her relatively humble motivations) you simultaneously want to see succeed as much as watch being brought down a peg. And with the commish's forgiving attitude (possibly bordering on insensitive if he's not aware of the beef Coyle has with him), she'll keep on moving ARMS forward, for better and for worse. Lots of fun modes were at least partially created by her in-universe after all.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
With more DLC announced, what are your guys' stance about someone from ARMS getting in now? I see a lot of support re-emerged for Rex (& Pyra), which I kinda always saw as parallel to ARMS as it was stated they didn't get in due to timing. Sure, Spring Man being an Assist Trophy may be a bigger "no-no" than Rex having just a Mii costume, but it's still fun to speculate. I'm definitely not getting my hopes up but someone from ARMS is still low-key my biggest wants in Smash. Twintelle and/or Min Min would give us a female as well, something the DLC is lacking so far.

Oh well, ARMS is still one of my favourite and most-played Switch games even if its time in the limelight has slowly faded away. It could really use either some special offers or something similar to what Mario Tennis Aces got: limited-time free playability for NSO owners to push it a bit more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With more DLC announced, what are your guys' stance about someone from ARMS getting in now? I see a lot of support re-emerged for Rex (& Pyra), which I kinda always saw as parallel to ARMS as it was stated they didn't get in due to timing. Sure, Spring Man being an Assist Trophy may be a bigger "no-no" than Rex having just a Mii costume, but it's still fun to speculate. I'm definitely not getting my hopes up but someone from ARMS is still low-key my biggest wants in Smash. Twintelle and/or Min Min would give us a female as well, something the DLC is lacking so far.

Oh well, ARMS is still one of my favourite and most-played Switch games even if its time in the limelight has slowly faded away. It could really use either some special offers or something similar to what Mario Tennis Aces got: limited-time free playability for NSO owners to push it a bit more.
I'm feeling pumped.

Not sure about Spring Man as we still don't know if they'll budge on Assists Trophies but I'm feeling good about the chances of Min Min. With the ARMS Party Crashes concluded we know she's the most popular character (or at least the favourite with competent players.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah im of the thinking that an arms character is a distinct possibility, like guybrush said i think minmin recently proving to be one of the fan favourites i can see her as a possibility

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm feeling pumped.

Not sure about Spring Man as we still don't know if they'll budge on Assists Trophies but I'm feeling good about the chances of Min Min. With the ARMS Party Crashes concluded we know she's the most popular character (or at least the favourite with competent players.)
And if that doesn't work, they can always fall back on one of the the most well-known DLC characters; Max Brass, Lola Pop and Dr. Coyle.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And if that doesn't work, they can always fall back on one of the the most well-known DLC characters; Max Brass, Lola Pop and Dr. Coyle.
Low key, Dr Coyle would be amazing for a Female Villain who doesn't have to share a moveset with someone else. (Wendy and Dark Samus)

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I find it absolutely unbelievable that ARMS doesn't have a single song in Ultimate. Ultimate has SO MUCH music. It has music from the most obscure, unknown games in Nintendo's history. Even Xenoblade 2 got a song in Ultimate and that came out after ARMS.

My theory is that they're saving ARMS songs for an ARMS stage. They must have known from the start that they wanted to add one, so they held off on adding the music so they could add it as a part of the stage.

There are also some notably absent characters from the ARMS spirit representation. Max Brass is the head of the entire ARMS league, Dr. Coyle runs the labs, and Helix is a fan favorite. I can see any of them getting in.
Nobody ever mentions Helix, but he would be such a fun addition. He's so weird and would really stand out from the rest of the Smash roster. His whole stretching mechanic could be bizarre as hell and a ton of fun.

Again, this is probably just me getting my hopes up, but I just think the lack of any songs from ARMS is too strange to ignore. There has to be a reason.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If I had to guess, maybe a rights issue given all the ARMS songs are full of vocalisations.

Would need to see if they partially own them.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Let's ask an honest question here: do you think ARMS has any chance past its first installment, or will it remain a one-shot IP?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's ask an honest question here: do you think ARMS has any chance past its first installment, or will it remain a one-shot IP?
I think it does but Nintendo either needs a big idea to add to it or the Switch 2 needs a game to show off it's motion controls.

Unless you're one of the bigger series, you're lucky to get a game per console.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think it does but Nintendo either needs a big idea to add to it or the Switch 2 needs a game to show off it's motion controls.

Unless you're one of the bigger series, you're lucky to get a game per console.
Apparently, I've learned that the more skilled players prefer standard layout instead of motion (look in comments).

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Because I have no better thing to do, I made up a Smash moveset for my favourite ARMS character, Dr. Coyle. She's not my expected ARMS rep, but she's my dream pick, so that's why. Some of this could fit other ARMS characters too:

A few basic things first. Coyle hovers around like she does in ARMS, but has a normal jump and double jump, so it's only for visuals (like Dark Samus). To somewhat represent her hovering ability, her normal fall speed is very slow. She uses the Lokjaw ARMS at all times, except when otherwise stated. Most of her moves have a sweetspot at the fist part.

Grab: Coyle's grab is special since it works like in ARMS. It extends very far (further than any tether grab), but the grab box is only at the very tip.
Pummel: Punches the enemy with the third ARM that appears from her shoulder pad.
Forward throw: Her own throw from ARMS.
Back throw: Ribbon Girl's throw.
Down throw: Master Mummy's throw. Kills.
Up throw: Spring Man's / Springtron's throw.

Neutral attack: A series of rapid punches with better range than similar moves. Finishes with a straight punch.
Dash attack: Spins around and punches. Like Little Mac's f-smash out of a run (or float).
Forward tilt: A one-two punch, like you often see in ARMS. The second punch has to be activated with a second button press.
Down tilt: Crouches down and extends both her ARMS along the ground. Similar to one of Dhalsim's moves from Street Fighter.
Up tilt: Swings a single ARM over her head. An anti-air with an excellent range.

Forward smash: Coyle's forward smash is similar to Little Mac's in that it can be angled up or down and changes drastically depending on the angle. In Coyle's case this is also visualised with Lokjaw changing into a different ARM for the up and down angles, like how Peach and Daisy's golf club changes into a tennis racket or a frying pan.
Non-angled: Uses Lokjaw to shoot a red and black orb which explodes upon contact. Counts as a projectile, like Mega Man's f-smash.
Angled up: Delivers an uppercut with Brrchuk. Freezes opponents.
Angled down: Punches straight with the Parabola. Shortest range of all the angles, but stuns opponents, allowing for a follow-up.
Up Smash: Leans on the ground with her other ARM while holding the other one up, using the Lokjaw to bite opponents.
Down smash: Slams the ground on both sides with both ARMS at the same time. Think DK's d-smash.

Neutral air: Spins around 360 degrees at an angle, hitting with her ARMS diagonally down in her front and diagonally up in her back while doing so.
Forward air: A downward slam with both ARMS. Meteor smashes at the fists.
Back air: A backhand strike with a single ARM.
Up air: A cartwheel kick, not uncommon to Smash.
Down air: A heel stomp with a single foot. Meteor smashes.

Neutral special: Aimed Punch. Punches forward with a single ARM when pressing the button. Holding the button down increases range and pressing up and down changes the angle. Can be guided to a fine degree like Pit's arrows.
Side special: ARMS Charge. Floats a fixed distance left or right while charging her ARMS. After this, her punch attacks deal an extra hit for a while, thanks to the extra ARM on her shoulder pad. Can also be used for recovering or stalling in the air. She doesn't gain the effect if the move is interrupted and the effect is lost if she takes damage.
Up special: Cloak Warp. Turns invisible and teleports a fixed distance in any direction. Unlike with other teleports, she doesn't immediately become fully visible after teleporting, allowing for a sneaky grab or a punch and making it a bit more difficult to punish her when recovering high.
Down special: Cellspawn. Spawns a single Cell in front of her. They can block a single attack before dissolving. If not immediately attacked, they throw out a punch at the current position of the closest opponent in front of them (or straight if there's no opponent). They use the Bubb ARMS. There is a random chance she spawns Helix instead, but the difference is only audiovisual.

Final Smash: As Coyle shouts "My masterpiece!", Hedlok falls on her head, striking anyone above Coyle, and causes a small shockwave, striking anyone next to Coyle. The screen then transitions to a cutscene where Coyle, equipped with Hedlok, pummels anyone caught in the move with six ARMS before sending them flying and shooting them with a huge black and red projectile that explodes, ending the cutscene.

Up taunt: Maniacal laughter.
Side taunt: Brushes back her hair.
Down taunt: Bangs her Lokjaw ARMS together twice before the third ARM humorously pops out and adds a little tap.

As always, I'd like to hear if you have different ideas. I wanted to make her somewhat simple, so I opted out of a floating mechanic like Peach and Daisy's or extending the reach of some of her normals by holding down the attack button.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With how much I want Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, I'm surprised I never posted on this thread before. ARMS is a fantastic game and I hope we get a sequel sooner rather than later. I'm honestly pretty hopeful that we could get a character for this Pass. I support!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nice to see that ARMS is still getting some support, even if the grand prize is $25 of Nintendo Gold points

Top Bottom