• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have another question, will the ARMS fighter have an animated trailer? Or do you think it's going to be like Piranha Plant's trailer and just be comprised of some footage?
I'd say animated, yeah. No telling if they'll do a brief "and the winner is…!" bit right before that though.

seeing as how PP was just a free bonus (at least free for a limited time) and all pass peeps had full animations, I think ARMS and all of FPV2 will have full cgi/animation trailers. if we get more individual DLC, I can see THOSE going the minimalist approach
That's an entirely reasonable assumption, seeing as there are 4 slots left over that are currently unused and too short for another pass. Individual ones could likely be for any series that are already firmly established in the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd say animated, yeah. No telling if they'll do a brief "and the winner is…!" bit right before that though.

That's an entirely reasonable assumption, seeing as there are 4 slots left over that are currently unused and too short for another pass. Individual ones could likely be for any series that are already firmly established in the game.
Any addition that could do without a new stage and/or music (like Bandana Dee, Fiora, Black Shadow, any Echoes) would fit this bill. No stage for sure, may or may not come with music

not listing Octoling or Elma cause I want them to come with a stage AND music

Koopaul

Smash Champion
seeing as how PP was just a free bonus (at least free for a limited time) and all pass peeps had full animations, I think ARMS and all of FPV2 will have full cgi/animation trailers. if we get more individual DLC, I can see THOSE going the minimalist approach
The reason I'm asking is the whole COVID-19 thing. I don't think Sakurai and his team make these animated trailers. Doesn't another studio put them together? Things have been difficult in Japan. So I wonder if that will result in a more simple trailer.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Any addition that could do without a new stage and/or music (like Bandana Dee, Fiora, Black Shadow, any Echoes) would fit this bill. No stage for sure, may or may not come with music

Bandana Dee absolutely must come with a stage, we still have no modern Kirby stage

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The reason I'm asking is the whole COVID-19 thing. I don't think Sakurai and his team make these animated trailers. Doesn't another studio put them together?
I don't know what Digital Media Lab Inc./Digital Frontier's current situation is, but I presume they've made the work from home transition as well.

Bandana Dee absolutely must come with a stage, we still have no modern Kirby stage
Didn't stop :ultincineroar: from getting in without an Alola stage. I'll take what I can get.

That said, we don't know who's coming, so it's too early to assume things.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Euden may or may not be such a character, since his game’s OST was partly composed by DAOKO (whose music is legally owned right now by Toys Factory, INC.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The reason I'm asking is the whole COVID-19 thing. I don't think Sakurai and his team make these animated trailers. Doesn't another studio put them together? Things have been difficult in Japan. So I wonder if that will result in a more simple trailer.
The animated parts could be made in advance

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, though from what I understand that game was mostly outsourced to Koei Tecmo and Omega-Force with IS supervising. We'd be talking homegrown in this case.
I could see it happen, honestly. ARMS trailers have decent camera work behind them, so if Digital Frontier can't pull off a trailer in time, this could work,

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
3/5 of the trailers in the last pass honored the style of their rep's property or company. Joker's video was super stylized around that game, Terry had the use of SNK cutscenes and assets, and Byleth was done in the style of Three Houses cutscenes.

With this in mind I expect Min Min's Arms rep's trailer to be done with Arms assets to some degree. Then again, Arms doesn't exactly have cutscenes so I would also love to see some CGI combat in there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think an ARMS fighter would just use the typical CGI style most of the trailers use.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Would you guys reckon that whichever Arms characters don't make it into Smash will suddenly see a surge in support for the next game?

I definitely feel like if Spring Man in particular doesn't get chosen he would be an extremely strong candidate. Assuming he doesn't instead live on in AT purgatory.

In any case I hope the surge in support for Arms characters doesn't descend into nothing.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would you guys reckon that whichever Arms characters don't make it into Smash will suddenly see a surge in support for the next game?

I definitely feel like if Spring Man in particular doesn't get chosen he would be an extremely strong candidate. Assuming he doesn't instead live on in AT purgatory.

In any case I hope the surge in support for Arms characters doesn't descend into nothing.
I think that depends on two things.

A) Does ARMS have get new games? Are they well liked?
B) Does the moveset of the chosen character allow for non semiclone newcomers?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Min Min, if she doesn't get in now. I can easily see her being the next Chrom in that situation.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think that depends on two things.

A) Does ARMS have get new games? Are they well liked?
B) Does the moveset of the chosen character allow for non semiclone newcomers?
I think the second point doesn't matter as much as you give it credit for, considering we got Isabelle as a Villager semi-clone.

But like Isabelle, the character would need to be massively popular if they go the semi-clone route so that people can still be hyped.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the second point doesn't matter as much as you give it credit for, considering we got Isabelle as a Villager semi-clone.

But like Isabelle, the character would need to be massively popular if they go the semi-clone route so that people can still be hyped.
They're talking about support, not general likelihood.

Moveset issues aside, Isabelle was simply too popular and iconic to ignore. She's like Luigi in a sense.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Moveset issues aside, Isabelle was simply too popular and iconic to ignore. She's like Luigi in a sense.
Oh... my b then.

But like, a second ARMS rep would naturally follow very similar ideas for a moveset simply because of how simplistic ARMS' gameplay is and how similar the moves are for all characters. Only major change would be to trade the first rep's unique mechanic and ARMS for those of that second rep's.

The only exception I can really think of is Dr. Coyle due to her variety of unique gimmicks like hovering, air shielding and the cloaking.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Slightly off-topic for a moment, but this is some next level advance planning.

https://sourcegaming.info/2020/05/16/ultimate-timeline/
>Ultimate's design document was finished on the very same day that :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf: and :ultbayonetta: got announced

I knew that the planning was done around the time 4's support ended, but never thought it'd be on THIS short of a notice.

Basically, yeah. I've personally witnessed Mother character support die a slow death over the course of the Smash series, and they're now down to only two characters.

For now though, it is perfectly relevant and a fair bit of characters got a boost of attention from this announcement. I've found yet another six fan arts with Lola Pop in it (courtesy of RavenousRuss)!

EVSdXCiUEAIU7Ke.jpg

Oh... my b then.

But like, a second ARMS rep would naturally follow very similar ideas for a moveset simply because of how simplistic ARMS' gameplay is and how similar the moves are for all characters. Only major change would be to trade the first rep's unique mechanic and ARMS for those of that second rep's.

The only exception I can really think of is Dr. Coyle due to her variety of unique gimmicks like hovering, air shielding and the cloaking.
I figure that Coyle would get particular fan support simply for that reason alone.

A dash of that and Rosalina, seeing as she got in over someone that's been around longer than her (Tom Nook).

That said, if Min Min isn't in, she'll likely get more attention over time due to that tournament win before ARMS' hiatus.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465

You're probably right. Sakurai understands the importance of a good reveal. I think Nintendo just didn't care with Paper Mario and were like "Oh, yeah, this game is coming out in July"
I don't think the shadow drop of Paper Mario has anything to do with 'not caring.'
We don't know all the details.
There are plenty of scenarios where it was just how it all came together.
I'm sure Nintendo feels they did it very well.

Well, we don't have to get into all the details.
I know Im excited about Origami King.]

Basically, yeah. I've personally witnessed Mother character support die a slow death over the course of the Smash series, and they're now down to only two characters.
Doesn't seem that dead to me... somehow a game with three games with two characters reads as more of a compliment to the series than the proportions of almost any other series. Actually... is there another series with that much representative characters compared to the number of games it has?
Well, Fire Emblem. (legitimately didnt mean to make this *that* kind of point).
I guess you could argue Wii Fit...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think the shadow drop of Paper Mario has anything to do with 'not caring.'

Well, we don't have to get into all the details.
I know Im excited about Origami King.]

Doesn't seem that dead to me... somehow a game with three games with two characters reads as more of a compliment to the series than the proportions of almost any other series. Actually... is there another series with that much representative characters compared to the number of games it has?
Well, Fire Emblem. (legitimately didnt mean to make this *that* kind of point).
I guess you could argue Wii Fit...
Kid Icarus pretty much has the same amount of playable characters as there are games for it, followed by Star Fox.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I mean they didn't care about having a build up to the reveal. All they would need to do is send out a tweet the night before stating that there's going to be a new game announcement. They did that with the last Sakurai Presents so I don't see why they can't do that with other announcements.

Super-Smash-Bros.-Ultimate-5th-DLC-fighter.png

See? That's hyping something. Basically I'm saying they didn't care to do something like this with Paper Mario.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yet Sticker Star was liked enough by the company that they made sure that anything referencing Paper Mario for the next few years would focus on that game.

Did Color Splash kill their enthusiasm that much, or did AlphaDream's bankruptcy and Mario & Luigi's subsequent hiatus make them lose faith in Paper Mario, their only remaining active Mario RPG series, staying alive?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yet Sticker Star was liked enough by the company that they made sure that anything referencing Paper Mario for the next few years would focus on that game.

Did Color Splash kill their enthusiasm that much, or did AlphaDream's bankruptcy and Mario & Luigi's subsequent hiatus make them lose faith in Paper Mario, their only remaining active Mario RPG series, staying alive?
Okay, hear me out: a Mario RPG made by Monolith Soft.

Eh? Eh?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

In game development, lack of confidence in a product usually means stop making it altogether, the smart thing to do. It wouldn't have been hard with no prior announcement as we'd be none the wiser. You're making it seem as if Nintendo is putting Intelligent Systems at gunpoint to make more Paper Mario games against their wishes.

I'd be more concerned if we actually got remasters of the first two Paper Marios, because if Mario & Luigi is any indication, they could be the sign of desperation. Of course, they still have Fire Emblem and all...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be more concerned if we actually got remasters of the first two Paper Marios, because if Mario & Luigi is any indication, they could be the sign of desperation. Of course, they still have Fire Emblem and all...
Things seem to point at IS trying to focus on the rest of their catalogue again, if Advance Wars mobile rumors and Panel de Pon's export/rerelease are any indication.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean they didn't care about having a build up to the reveal. All they would need to do is send out a tweet the night before stating that there's going to be a new game announcement. They did that with the last Sakurai Presents so I don't see why they can't do that with other announcements.

View attachment 271944

See? That's hyping something. Basically I'm saying they didn't care to do something like this with Paper Mario.
Yes, they could have, but it is hardly the same thing as Smash bros.
I cant think of a game that generates the hype of smash bros, and certainly none with the hype factor of a reveal.

They might just feel Paper Mario didnt warrant it. They could have reasoned it many ways- I'm partial to believing they think a shadow drop allowed the news to be taken at face value, and not marginalized for not being what so and so wanted.

A shadow drop doesnt mean it isnt cared for. I think its silly to say Nintendo doesn't care about it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In these times, I'm expecting Nintendo's whole E3 line-up to get shadowdropped so it'll be nothing personal. Keep an eye on the official twitter over the next few weeks.

Top Bottom