• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hello! I realize I've never actually posted in this thread... Yay ARMS! Much excitement to be had...

This Tweet is also from April Fool's Day, so...
This was from April Fools!?

Shoot, i didn't even see the date of the tweet.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Makes me wonder what the 4 would be
Well if she's the only ARMS rep and not sharing with anyone, she could rock the colors of other characters

amageish

Smash Master
So, anyone in particular you're hoping for?
Min Min is my favourite ARMS character, which I know is a common take, but she's still my preference. If not her, I think I'd like someone on the sillier side - Helix, Twintelle, or Lola could all be funny.

Makes me wonder what the 4 would be
I imagine Spring Man and Ribbon Girl would get pallet swaps, at least... Granted, they gave Terry only costumes based on his own games, so maybe they'd save other characters for stage cameos in the background and spirits? Hard to say.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
they gave Terry only costumes based on his own games
Which seems to stem from the lack of a hat for the Garou alt. I'm not sure if that was entirely mandatory when female Byleth has some animation changes, but I don't think any other ARMS characters would have missing components like that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A strange thing about Arms ive been wondering is that its technically not a series, so its music could technically be shoved into Other. The spirits just say ARMS and those are usually very open to being a series, like counting shovel knight as one since each game sells separately. (sidenote i wish gnw didnt count as a series so there was more music on flatzone)
If that were true, Midgar would have over 100 songs :p

MattX20

Smash Hero
Music shouldn't be a problem for ARMS like it is regarding FF or DQ music

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Which seems to stem from the lack of a hat for the Garou alt. I'm not sure if that was entirely mandatory when female Byleth has some animation changes, but I don't think any other ARMS characters would have missing components like that.
Seeing how Terry is one of the fighting genre's granddaddies, it made sense for him to go the palette swap route. If nothing else, that gave us hat logos referencing the various entries of his series.

Music shouldn't be a problem for ARMS like it is regarding FF or DQ music
Yeah, no kidding. And redundancy wouldn't be an issue, given the myriad of Jungle Hijinks remixes we got in here.

Min Min is my favourite ARMS character, which I know is a common take, but she's still my preference. If not her, I think I'd like someone on the sillier side - Helix, Twintelle, or Lola could all be funny.
I can definitely live with the latter option.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
I wonder if MandyCan's Crash Bandicoot rumor was true but it was delayed due to the coronavirus.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I wonder if MandyCan's Crash Bandicoot rumor was true but it was delayed due to the coronavirus.
The MandyCan leak was proven fake back in february because it was found out that he used the Twitter trick (explanation on how it was found out is in one of Papageno's videos).

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm just happy ARMS is coming because I feel like the series has a lot of potential. The gameplay for the first game was weak but, good lord, the character designs are probably overall best for a Nintendo series since WarioWare, the music is incredible, and the lore is fun without taking itself too seriously. It's a series that had a lot of undercooked ideas for the first game so it deserves another try and I think Smash all but guarantees that. Another thing that's great about ARMS is that its developers very obviously cared about it and treated it like a passion project, even if not everything worked out. This all said, I feel like it deserves to be recognized and join the ranks of Smash.
Wow... you know, I've always found ARMS' character designs to be crazy unique. Like, the most unique I've seen for a Nintendo IP in quite some time.

But your comparison to them being about as recognizable as WarioWare's character design... I think that may be the most apt description I could ever come up with in regards to it.
I mean, I know WarioWare's got a bit of a larger ensemble, yet the designs for just about everyone in that series is memorable in their own way in some way, shape, or form. Just like with ARMS.

It was basically "Virtual-On, but with Ultra Hands instead of guns". Decent, but not exactly the most innovative thing compared to Splatoon's creative ink mechanics. And for a company known for innovation like Nintendo, that's not helpful if your title isn't already a household name.
Funny you mention Virtual-On, because I've likened the cast to Fighting Vipers' cast. I don't know why, I just get a Fighting Vipers vibe off of them all.

amageish

Smash Master
This may have been said before, but shower thought: No matter who the ARMS character is, I really hope they don't do another Terry-style "everyone is fighting for the invitation" trailer. After 3 months of people building up hopes, it'd kind of suck if the reveal was rubbing salt in the wounds of people who don't get their preferred choice... A sequel to the Ken/Incineroar trailer would definitely be a better approach.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally I hope that the ARMs character reveal trailer is commentated by Biff, maybe even team up with Doc Louis like how Bayonetta's trailer had her interact with the Kid Icarus cast.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This may have been said before, but shower thought: No matter who the ARMS character is, I really hope they don't do another Terry-style "everyone is fighting for the invitation" trailer. After 3 months of people building up hopes, it'd kind of suck if the reveal was rubbing salt in the wounds of people who don't get their preferred choice... A sequel to the Ken/Incineroar trailer would definitely be a better approach.
I think the latter is likelier, but would it start after Incineroar knocked out everyone else? Or would it restart, but with him being KOed first?

Personally I hope that the ARMs character reveal trailer is commentated by Biff, maybe even team up with Doc Louis like how Bayonetta's trailer had her interact with the Kid Icarus cast.
They would definitely need a collab with Next Level Games for that one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How about we do a completely original trailer instead of rehashing another? I’m sorry, but it just ticks me off when all people care about is rehashing trailer ideas.
Well, how would you suggest anything that saves on budget? Having just a picture or render of the winner would be boring in this game's context. This isn't the DualSense.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
How about we do a completely original trailer instead of rehashing another? I’m sorry, but it just ticks me off when all people care about is rehashing trailer ideas.
We only ever had 1 rehash trailer, so not sure why everyone keeps assuming the next trailer will be another one

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We only ever had 1 rehash trailer, so not sure why everyone keeps assuming the next trailer will be another one
Budget saving.

Last trailer was a collab with Koei Tecmo (with some of it being a partial retelling of a scene in Three Houses, at that), the one before that mostly used sprites, and the one before that reused K. Rool trailer assets.

We haven't had a CGI trailer with fully-new assets since :ulthero:'s reveal, so we don't know if sales allowed them to recoup enough cash to make more assets. The only way to save any more money at this point is for Sak's showcase streams to be shorter.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, how would you suggest anything that saves on budget? Having just a picture or render of the winner would be boring in this game's context. This isn't the DualSense.
Well…I might not be THAT good at coming with trailers, so I’m not sure what I can come up with that saves on budget. But I can say it wouldn’t be a rehash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well…I might not be THAT good at coming with trailers, so I’m not sure what I can come up with that saves on budget. But I can say it wouldn’t be a rehash.
If Nitro-Fueled's CTR TV taught me anything, it's that whatever they come up with will never match what the fandom thinks. It will probably save on money somehow and I don't know in what way.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
A sequel to the Ken/Incineroar trailer would definitely be a better approach.
While I'm not sure if they should necessarily continue on that trailer, I could definitely see some sort of punch-out or fistfight going on with a sudden punch stretching out from the distance to disturb it, revealing the ARMS character(s?).

I also liked the trailer idea that I saw somewhere, where some character would pick up an Assist Trophy with Spring Man popping out, and him suddenly joining in as a fighter. Though that would only work if the character is Spring Man and even then I'm not sure if they even want to acknowledge the whole AT-inconsistency like that.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also liked the trailer idea that some character would pick up an Assist Trophy with Spring Man popping out, and him suddenly joining in as a fighter. Though that would only work if the character is Spring Man and still I'm not sure if they even want to acknowledge the whole AT-inconsistency like that.
In regards to the trailer acknowledging that Spring Man is an AT, I think the best way to do it would be one single shot of Springtron being the replacement ARMS AT.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So I think the ARMS fighter will have a thing like K. Rool's belly armor. The fighter has the longest range but if their arms receive enough damage they'll break and put the fighter in a stunned state.
God I hope not I already gotta deal with that lame **** with K.Rool (along with crown loss, Terrible end lag, slow movement speed, giant hurtboxes, etc.) I haven't been this excited for a character joining since K.Rool was announced and if this new ARMS character is gonna have similar flaw/s and be bottom tier like K.Rool I will be severely disappointed. Luckily the ARMS character is DLC so he will have some type of OP gimmick (probably long grab range).

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think there will be any arguments over how good the ARMS grab game would be.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think there will be any arguments over how good the ARMS grab game would be.
Either the best or the worst.

There can be no in between.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Last Night i had a really strange dream, there was a super smash bros ultimate direct that showed 3 characters for the fighters pass.
The Arms fighter was basically a Hero base fighter with almost all the arms characters as alternate costumes but in the form of chibi characters strangely. Springtron is Spring Man's Assist Trophy replacement too.

The Second character i can't remember, Luigi was in the trailer however my memory has been frizzled out, i assume some anime design gaming character was the newcomer in the trailer.

The Third one was pretty strange yet mind blown. there was a showcase of indie game characters and a light minovering which one is the newcomer then stops at the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

What a Crazy Weird Dream....

amageish

Smash Master
To be honest, I was originally going to write "ARMS character comes into a boxing ring to fight the other fighting game characters," then I remembered that they did that exact same set-up already... There are plenty of other ways they could do it (maybe bring other characters into the ARMS world this time with an ARMS-style tournament between Smash characters leading to the final fight against Champion [INSERT-ARMS-CHARACTER-HERE] with Biff doing commentary?). I mostly just don't want a trailer that actively shows various ARMS characters not getting into Smash, as while that'd be good for suspense, I feel like it'd make a lot of people sad...

Top Bottom