• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
First off, in the case of disposable income you're assuming "most people" already bought Animal Crossing or plan to buy it before anything else, which is straight up not true. As far as people who do have income, there are other games besides Animal Crossing. Many people will buy digital games. Many people own other systems. Many people have PSNow or XBOX Gamepass. I for one am deep into Persona 5 Royal right now and have FFVII and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition pre loaded and ready to go. My friend just got Breath of the Wild for the first time the other day and that'll likely keep her occupied during the lockdown. Many gamers also just have other interests. My best friend is completely absorbed in a new anime right now despite Animal Crossing just coming out. Life simulator games are pretty niche. Not everyone even likes games like Animal Crossing. Many people will be completely satisfied with Animal Crossing, but more will not be. Sorry, I just get tired of people overhyping the series so much as if it's bigger than Mario.
in defence of animal crossing, it may not be as big as mario but its still one of nintendo's biggest having out sold other series with more games in them. it may not be the biggest but its up there with the likes of kirby, donkey kong and yoshi, it in the top 10. life sims may be niche but animal crossing is most certainly not

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
in defence of animal crossing, it may not be as big as mario but its still one of nintendo's biggest having out sold other series with more games in them. it may not be the biggest but its up there with the likes of kirby, donkey kong and yoshi, it in the top 10. life sims may be niche but animal crossing is most certainly not
That is undeniable. My objection was to the assertion that most people will be so distracted with Animal Crossing that they won't care that there's nothing else coming out. Key word being "most".

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That is undeniable. My objection was to the assertion that most people will be so distracted with Animal Crossing that they won't care that there's nothing else coming out. Key word being "most".
i was under the impression that everyone noe playing ac was playing doom

zferolie

Smash Hero
Of course, there are these fans too:

Most of these games have since been out-competed by other companies. Bringing back Detective Club to go up against the likes of Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton, or Panel De Pon against Puyo Puyo is a tough prospect.

You'll have to talk to Game Freak about Drill Dozer. And Nintendo has their hands full trying to keep their main rail shooter Star Fox afloat. And to be quite frank, I think Golden Sun just didn't do enough to set itself apart from other JRPGs like the Mario ones or Xenoblade. There are a lot of those if you dig in Nintendo's catalogue, and none of them apart from the two I mentioned have caught on. Why would they? How could they, against the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest?
They could maybe take a different take for games like panel de pon or detective club, i just think its a shame to just let some of these series just die off. Kid icarus was gonna be one of these till sakurai revived it

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
i was under the impression that everyone noe playing ac was playing doom
This is exactly my point. Maybe in your circle. Not everyone plays the same games. Animal Crossing is huge, but it's not all encompassing. Even when combined with Doom. I'm not currently playing either, and neither are any of my friends.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Im not play AC or Doom. Mostly playing Smite, monster hunter, FF14, and destiny 2

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Something occurred to me, what will the ARMS symbol be? Punch Out already got a Boxing glove but then again, Terry got his star in spite of Kirby.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Something occurred to me, what will the ARMS symbol be? Punch Out already got a Boxing glove but then again, Terry got his star in spite of Kirby.
I'd say it'd be the ARMS League logo. It's practically everywhere regardless of which stage you pick, and despite being a boxing glove, like Punch-Out, is still distinct enough.

Also, to be fair with Terry, Kirby's star is more rounded while Fatal Fury's is more angular. Though, that should've gone without saying.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is fine all and all, but people who don't have the means to get money and/or buy anything else will be stuck with what they have, so they won't get anything else until the crisis finally ends.

The key operative word here being "anything else", since the production of most games having halted completely means there won't be much of a buffer for next year. If fans thought the lack of Nintendo games for this year was a drought, next year will be akin to Tatooine.

As long as the games they have don't have them take it too seriously for their own good. Folks need something to be entertained adequately if they don't live in the countryside.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This is fine all and all, but people who don't have the means to get money and/or buy anything else will be stuck with what they have, so they won't get anything else until the crisis finally ends.

The key operative word here being "anything else", since the production of most games having halted completely means there won't be much of a buffer for next year. If fans thought the lack of Nintendo games for this year was a drought, next year will be akin to Tatooine.

As long as the games they have don't have them take it too seriously for their own good. Folks need something to be entertained adequately if they don't live in the countryside.
This is, again, assuming that everyone already bought Animal Crossing. Don't let your bias blind you.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not even talking about Animal Crossing anymore...

People have been asking for more first-party Nintendo game announcements, and all we got from the mini-Direct was the release date/details for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, announcements for Clubhouse Games and Good Job, and that's it. No clue when BOTW2 is getting out, or even if it is the big holiday game.

We don't even know if we're getting that rumored Mario collection for his anniversary, so even if there's plenty of distractions, people will be thirsty for news by next year. Until then, IGN's Direct-a-thon better provide something.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm not even talking about Animal Crossing anymore...

People have been asking for more first-party Nintendo game announcements, and all we got from the mini-Direct was the release date/details for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, announcements for Clubhouse Games and Good Job, and that's it. No clue when BOTW2 is getting out, or even if it is the big holiday game.

We don't even know if we're getting that rumored Mario collection for his anniversary, so even if there's plenty of distractions, people will be thirsty for news by next year. Until then, IGN's Direct-a-thon better provide something.
That's fair. I definitely agree. Hopefully we get blown away in June.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is exactly my point. Maybe in your circle. Not everyone plays the same games. Animal Crossing is huge, but it's not all encompassing. Even when combined with Doom. I'm not currently playing either, and neither are any of my friends.
well the doom thing was a joke i dont know if anyone i know is playing it and as popular as ac is there arent a lot of people in my circle who play it

Arthur97

Smash Master
So, what do you think the odds are this latest event in ARMS was actually important? I think it would have been a neat way for them to decide which of the two is the default if they are pulling a Hero. Yes, they may have different abilities, but they could pull a Belmont.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So, what do you think the odds are this latest event in ARMS was actually important? I think it would have been a neat way for them to decide which of the two is the default if they are pulling a Hero. Yes, they may have different abilities, but they could pull a Belmont.
We don’t even know who the character is, so only Sakurai would now if this was important or not since he’s the one making the ARMS character.

Arthur97

Smash Master
We don’t even know who the character is, so only Sakurai would now if this was important or not since he’s the one making the ARMS character.
It's all speculation of course, but I think it would be a cool way to get the fans involved without actually telling them at the time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
non existent

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm sure the character for Smash was already decided. However, the Party Crash might have been a hint. The tweet Nintendo sent said that Spring Man vs Ribbon Girl was to determine who is ARMS' #1 star. That tweet alone shows us that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were always meant to be ARMS' mascot.

Who knows? We might be getting both. Spring Man with Ribbon Girl as a bonus Echo Fighter.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think it's more about giving ARMS itself a new life by redoing all the Party Crashes.

Not everything has to be linked to Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Funny how the same argument from the general threads keep cropping up.

Here's a challenge, let's assume that besides any remixes or medleys there's 8 straight up ported tracks form ARMS, what are your picks?

Remember to post text links rather than embeded YT players so as to not grind everything to a halt.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This, a hundred times.

Besides, it would be on too short of a notice, considering we have only less than two months left until release (until further notice).
In fact, the way I see it, Nintendo bringing back Party Crashes is pretty notable. I mean, the first Splatoon game sure as hell didn't get its Splatfests back when Ultimate was revealed, did it? So why would it be different for ARMS? What would make its appearance in Smash so special that they would need to bring back this mode during what is very likely the last phase of the ARMS character's development?

Nintendo might simply be interested in bringing this IP back in the spotlight because there's definitely potential in it. And putting an ARMS rep in Smash is basically just a way to show the game to a far larger audience.

Funny how the same argument from the general threads keep cropping up.

Here's a challenge, let's assume that besides any remixes or medleys there's 8 straight up ported tracks form ARMS, what are your picks?

Remember to post text links rather than embeded YT players so as to not grind everything to a halt.
As long as [NAME REDACTED], Sky Arena and a Hedlok theme are there, I don't even care what songs we get.

Those are the biggest bangers in the game aside from the main theme.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Splatoon was lucky enough to come out near the end of the WiiU's life, where they were able to keep the train going with a Switch sequel.

ARMS, coming out basically at the switch's launch, doesn't have that benefit. IMO Smash is just a way for them to keep ARMS in people's minds until the sequel comes out for Switch 2, since it's clearly a successful IP. This and the comic book will be ARMS content to try and fill the time gap between the game and it's sequel

I doubt there's any further meaning. Basically they just wanted to put the new Nintendo character in the Nintendo game.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
What songs I want from ARMS really depend of the stage. Yeah I'm really into having songs that match the mood of the stage. It's one of the reasons why I don't have any Bowser themes playing because most Mario stages are happy grassy lands.

If it a more bright and cheery place like Spring Stadium I'd want songs like Buster Beach, Ribbon Ring, etc. If it was Sky Arena then I'd want more epic songs.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm sure the character for Smash was already decided. However, the Party Crash might have been a hint. The tweet Nintendo sent said that Spring Man vs Ribbon Girl was to determine who is ARMS' #1 star. That tweet alone shows us that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were always meant to be ARMS' mascot.

Who knows? We might be getting both. Spring Man with Ribbon Girl as a bonus Echo Fighter.
I know it's already decided. The idea is that they were already going to be a two in one, so it's just a thing to pick which one is the default one as that shouldn't be that hard to change.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a hard time believing that ARMS would have less than 12 tracks in Ultimate, especially since it's a new IP.

Staarih

Smash Master
All it seems to be is just a re-run of the Party Crash events - the theme of it ("Battle for Stardom") and characters involved are the exact same as the very first Party Crash in 2017. Wouldn't be surprised if "Martial Arts Mash-Up" with Ninjara VS Min Min would be announced next if they stick with doing Party Crashes again.

In fact, the way I see it, Nintendo bringing back Party Crashes is pretty notable. I mean, the first Splatoon game sure as hell didn't get its Splatfests back when Ultimate was revealed, did it? So why would it be different for ARMS? What would make its appearance in Smash so special that they would need to bring back this mode during what is very likely the last phase of the ARMS character's development?

Nintendo might simply be interested in bringing this IP back in the spotlight because there's definitely potential in it. And putting an ARMS rep in Smash is basically just a way to show the game to a far larger audience.
Yeah, that's basically it I think. Splatoon had the timing right and its momentum easily continued with the upcoming Switch/Splatoon 2, ARMS doesn't have that going for it so I feel like they just want to reinvigorate the IP and promote the current game - which is still very much playable even after three years. I do think a sequel will happen at some point, but probably not for a while and it'll be for Switch 2 or whatever the next console is.

Many seem to be dedicated that this ARMS in Smash inclusion hints at ARMS 2 being around the corner or whatever, but wouldn't bringing back Party Crashes actually go against this idea? If we look at Splatoon, the last SplatFest they had (Callie VS Marie) determined some key aspects for Splatoon 2, so it was probably already in process at that point. If ARMS 2 was coming soon, why would they introduce Party Crashes again (which will go on for a while if they stick to it) when they could save whatever events they have for "the sequel"? I just personally think ARMS is a one-game deal on the current console - the most I could see is DLC or content update for the existing game, but not even that is necessary. Adding a character in Smash is just to celebrate a new, successful Nintendo IP.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, that's basically it I think. Splatoon had the timing right and its momentum easily continued with the upcoming Switch/Splatoon 2, ARMS doesn't have that going for it so I feel like they just want to reinvigorate the IP and promote the current game - which is still very much playable even after three years. I do think a sequel will happen at some point, but probably not for a while and it'll be for Switch 2 or whatever the next console is.

Many seem to be dedicated that this ARMS in Smash inclusion hints at ARMS 2 being around the corner or whatever, but wouldn't bringing back Party Crashes actually go against this idea? If we look at Splatoon, the last SplatFest they had (Callie VS Marie) determined some key aspects for Splatoon 2, so it was probably already in process at that point. If ARMS 2 was coming soon, why would they introduce Party Crashes again (which will go on for a while if they stick to it) when they could save whatever events they have for "the sequel"? I just personally think ARMS is a one-game deal on the current console - the most I could see is DLC or content update for the existing game, but not even that is necessary. Adding a character in Smash is just to celebrate a new, successful Nintendo IP.
Well, I could personally see it be sequelized if they have enough character ideas, gameplay changes and maybe even story to justify the sequel.

If we do get a sequel, the Party Crashes and Smash character are probably ways to both market the IP and have something for the players to pass time on until said sequel shows up, and that's not mentionning the graphic novel.

And if we don't get it, marketing is still marketing.

Nintendo must've realized that what slowed down the IP was releasing the squids only a month after it... or how 2017 in general was pretty packed.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
or maybe the party crash is a way to heal people deal with the lockdowns in their various homes all over the world

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IIRC, there was a few code-names in the code of ARMS that didn't end up being used. There could be a sequel's worth of characters still to come.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
A strange thing about Arms ive been wondering is that its technically not a series, so its music could technically be shoved into Other. The spirits just say ARMS and those are usually very open to being a series, like counting shovel knight as one since each game sells separately. (sidenote i wish gnw didnt count as a series so there was more music on flatzone)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
IIRC, there was a few code-names in the code of ARMS that didn't end up being used. There could be a sequel's worth of characters still to come.
https://tcrf.net/ARMS

If I had to guess some:
Sweet = Lola Pop
Coil = Dr. Coyle
Shaman = Misango
Robo = either Springtron or Byte & Barq
Chain = has to be Ninjara
Lady = ...Twintelle?
Plant, Sumo, Tarzan, Scroll, Surprise = ?????

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

If I had to guess some:
Sweet = Lola Pop
Coil = Dr. Coyle
Shaman = Misango
Robo = either Springtron or Byte & Barq
Chain = has to be Ninjara
Lady = ...Twintelle?
I'd guess that those last 5 would be on the cutting room floor.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd guess that those last 5 would be on the cutting room floor.
Scroll COULD be Master Mummy but I somehow doubt it. I also don’t think any of them could correlate to Mechanica, Max Brass, Kid Cobra, or Helix

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news, Sakurai has declared that he and his staff will work on Ultimate remotely, so the DLC should remain on schedule, while they stay safe at home at the same time. All that's left is the issue of third-party approval, although that depends on how many first-parties this pass has, and whether or not said third-parties shifted entirely into remote communication.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying I'm against a sequel: I definitely see one coming at some point and that should definitely introduce new characters and new modes and a story mode etc. I just personally don't see it happening now like some people are expecting because of the Smash tie-in.

I think I've bumped into these before, it's always fun to speculate. Something planty with vine arms seems like an obvious idea for a character, maybe in the future then.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Good news, Sakurai has declared that he and his staff will work on Ultimate remotely, so the DLC should remain on schedule, while they stay safe at home at the same time. All that's left is the issue of third-party approval, although that depends on how many first-parties this pass has, and whether or not said third-parties shifted entirely into remote communication.
Well, that's good news in the midst of this chaos.

Top Bottom