• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For the record, it is entirely possible for Nintendo and Sakurai to drag out this reveal for it to "only" be Spring Man, as an Assist Trophy getting promoted within the same game is a big deal in and of itself.

Staarih

Smash Master
you think hes filmed presentation videos for characters halfway through development?
As long as you have the whole moveset up and running, along with maybe some other perks you want to show off, you could potentially film a presentation video halfway through I guess. Sakurai does always mention how the character may be a bit different once released because the presentations have been filmed earlier. I’d assume much of the latter part of development is balancing and tweaking anyway, so nothing that necessarily shows in the presentations. But then there’s stages, music, spirits etc of course.

But realistically, I think a month or two before release is probably when he films them. No idea if the on-going world situation would have an impact now, though.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
For the record, it is entirely possible for Nintendo and Sakurai to drag out this reveal for it to "only" be Spring Man, as an Assist Trophy getting promoted within the same game is a big deal in and of itself.
I feel like that could even be the pass's whole theme, promoting AT's to playable status.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
ARMS trailer should continue trend of base game where someone gets eradicated... And that someone will not be someone... It will be everyone but unlike WoL... It will be solely for ARMS... And the victor who avoids instant total body decomposition is... Biff. Biff has no beginning. Biff has no end. Biff is infinite. Millions of years after our civilization has been eradicated and forgotten, Biff will endure. Biff is eternal. The pinnacle of evolution and existence. We are but rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. We touch Biff's mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding. Organic life is nothing but a genetic mutation, an accident. Our lives are measured in years and decades. We wither and die. Biff is eternal. Before it, we are nothing.

I feel like that could even be the pass's whole theme, promoting AT's to playable status.
I kinda doubt it. They would probably have to add at least one character like Crash or someone. DLC is made to favour those sorts of characters. Sorry for brightening the darkest depths of my post by including a quote btw

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I kinda doubt it. They would probably have to add at least one character like Crash or someone. DLC is made to favour those sorts of characters. Sorry for brightening the darkest depths of my post by including a quote btw
I agree that it would make for a "weak" final pass for some people without any big 3rd party character but if it wasn't the last, i'd say that it would be a big possibility.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The last pass hardly had any theme, so I wouldn't count on it.

Also, I have a few ATs I'd like to see playable but it'd be a shame if we never get any new franchises from now on.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have my doubts but hey, if it lets the White Bomber fight Capcom's blue one on equal footing, I'm all for it.

D

Deleted member

I feel we could get at least one promotion.

But in no way will we only get a Pass full of them. Sakurai will likely want to add completely new series at least to some extent.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
yeah no i don't think we're getting promotions only

focusing solely on one thing probably isn't the best idea, just like how on the other side of the coin, an all-third party pass ain't very good either
gotta have something for everyone, ya know

and i say this as someone who would LOVE to see ats promoted (bomberman and takamaru's deconfirmations in particular were pure concentrated pain)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As long as you have the whole moveset up and running, along with maybe some other perks you want to show off, you could potentially film a presentation video halfway through I guess. Sakurai does always mention how the character may be a bit different once released because the presentations have been filmed earlier. I’d assume much of the latter part of development is balancing and tweaking anyway, so nothing that necessarily shows in the presentations. But then there’s stages, music, spirits etc of course.

But realistically, I think a month or two before release is probably when he films them. No idea if the on-going world situation would have an impact now, though.
well there in lies the point, how likely is it that characters not sue out til next year are ready to be shown off

iirc sakurai himself did say in the last one that they were filming it before the previous one is released, so its possible that the arms character was filmed before lockdown but not any one else

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nt_even_reveal_what_games_hes_playing_anymore

People are somehow still thinking pics of the day are a clue? Must be getting stir-crazy at this point.

well there in lies the point, how likely is it that characters not sue out til next year are ready to be shown off

iirc sakurai himself did say in the last one that they were filming it before the previous one is released, so its possible that the arms character was filmed before lockdown but not any one else
Well regardless of anything, we'll probably get a room echo-filled film-from-home variation at some point. These presentations are low-budget as it is anyway.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I cant wait for this pass to consist of Spring-Man, Klaptrap, Color TV, Nikki, Burrowing Snagrat, and the Pac-Man Ghosts.
You forgot Flies and Hand as well as the moon as bonuses. Shame I couldn't put and to separate the two.
Not to mention Dr. Kawashima, Sheriff, Andross, Dr. Wright, Vince and Chain Chomp.

You know, just in case enough wasn't done to emphasize how silly this is.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Actually back to who it is, I think a duo might be most likely since Spring Man and Ribbon girl seem like they could pull it off the best, and she's sort of a co-mascot too. Plus, maybe mesh their abilities together ala the Belmonts for more moveset potential. Some obviously just wouldn't work well since they have to use the same frame, movesets, and need to be close enough that they could be made the same size.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Actually back to who it is, I think a duo might be most likely since Spring Man and Ribbon girl seem like they could pull it off the best, and she's sort of a co-mascot too. Plus, maybe mesh their abilities together ala the Belmonts for more moveset potential. Some obviously just wouldn't work well since they have to use the same frame, movesets, and need to be close enough that they could be made the same size.
Tbh yeah I think Ribbon Girl and maybe Springtron will take alt slots.

On the topic of duos, I heard the idea of a duo character like Icies and aside from Byte and Barq, it probably wouldn't happen. I vaguely remember some people throwing around the idea of a duo character due to a single mode in ARMS but then I asked why? It isn't a main form of combat, it wouldn't fit at all thematically, it isn't unique and it probably is safe to say it is 100 percent not happening

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We haven't heard anything yet so I'm gonna assume that's all for this week.

To tide things over here's a topic, what do you think the ARMS character's recovery options will be? It can be up-special, side-special, gimmick, anything.

My ideas

Spring Man's Up-B: summons a Spring from his stage
Ribbon Girl's Up-B: rising platform from her stage
Lola Pop's Gimmick: Shields instead of spot dodging in Air, which lowers her fall speed.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Tbh yeah I think Ribbon Girl and maybe Springtron will take alt slots.

On the topic of duos, I need the idea of a duo character like Icies and aside from Byte and Barq, it probably wouldn't happen. I vaguely remember some people throwing around the idea of a duo character due to a single mode in ARMS but then I asked why? It isn't a main form of combat, it wouldn't fit at all thematically, it isn't unique and it probably is safe to say it is 100 percent not happening
Max Brass and Dr. Coyle

You gotta make sure they don't fight one another during the match :troll:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We rarely ever get anything else on a week that features a spirit event/tournament, so yeah.

On the topic of duos, I need the idea of a duo character like Icies and aside from Byte and Barq, it probably wouldn't happen. I vaguely remember some people throwing around the idea of a duo character due to a single mode in ARMS but then I asked why? It isn't a main form of combat, it wouldn't fit at all thematically, it isn't unique and it probably is safe to say it is 100 percent not happening
Diddy and Dixie were planned as a duo for Brawl once. Perhaps that idea will eventually be brought back again, but by pairing Dixie with Kiddy instead?

Max Brass and Dr. Coyle

You gotta make sure they don't fight one another during the match :troll:
Hell, they can't even keep each other from fighting in the ARMS anniversary picture. Would have been hilariously poetic if they had opposing spirits in WOL.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

To tide things over here's a topic, what do you think the ARMS character's recovery options will be? It can be up-special, side-special, gimmick, anything.

My ideas

Lola Pop's Gimmick: Shields instead of spot dodging in Air, which lowers her fall speed.
For Springman and I guess a lot of characters, an idea that I see often is to use one arm as a spring, like in Springman's victory pose. Coyle have the obvious teleport for an Up-B (that could work differently than current teleports I guess maybe slower but safer, or even without helpless fall if they dare do that).

I suppose they could all get a tether especially with a command grab.

For some reason, I can also imagine Helix stretching and flinging himself.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
God I would kill for a Assist Trophy Pass. SUPER unlikely it's going to happen though.

Diddy and Dixie were planned as a duo for Brawl once. Perhaps that idea will eventually be brought back again, but by pairing Dixie with Kiddy instead?
I think a lot of us DKC fans would find that to be even worse than Diddy & Dixie being a tag team duo character. A lot of us Dixie Kong fans want Dixie alone and as a semi-clone or unique fighter. I can't imagine peoples' reaction if Kiddy Kong got into Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I can't imagine peoples' reaction if Kiddy Kong got into Smash.
I can see Jon from GameXplain ask for a refund :p

My ideas

There is only one right option for Brass

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think a lot of us DKC fans would find that to be even worse than Diddy & Dixie being a tag team duo character. A lot of us Dixie Kong fans want Dixie alone and as a semi-clone or unique fighter. I can't imagine peoples' reaction if Kiddy Kong got into Smash.
I would just go "eh, I'll take it". Besides, Smash fans eventually warm up to anything after a while, since they adhere strongly to the Seven Stages of Grief.

Also, Kiddy wouldn't take up slot space this way.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind if the theme is making up for lost time by putting in the stuff that time just did not allow for whether it be scheduling or just running out of development time.

Also, I haven't watched GameXplain in years. Are they really that whiny?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hot take: there's no "theme" at all and it's all just conjecture. It would be a coincidence at best.

I wouldn't mind if the theme is making up for lost time by putting in the stuff that time just did not allow for whether it be scheduling or just running out of development time.

Also, I haven't watched GameXplain in years. Are they really that whiny?
We're just talking about Jon Cartwright, specifically. His hating Kiddy Kong is practically a meme, at this point.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
No theme is probably the most likely, but the making up for lost time thing seems fairly likely to get me what I want.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, new topic; assuming for a moment that we could get a new sequel, what motif would some of the new fighters have?

We've had genetics dictate whether some people would turn into springs, ribbons, noodles, candy, bandages and whatnot. But what about bungee cords? Maybe bread, or even skip ropes?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Okay, new topic; assuming for a moment that we could get a new sequel, what motif would some of the new fighters have?

We've had genetics dictate whether some people would turn into springs, ribbons, noodles, candy, bandages and whatnot. But what about bungee cords? Maybe bread, or even skip ropes?
Accordions?

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I had the idea of tank treads at one point.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

good day for a swell battle

1591302466099.png

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I'm not sure it's a thing in Japan but I could see a Salaryman with paperclip chain arms.

Top Bottom