• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If there's one thing you can say about Nintendo, they're punctual. Nothing short of an environmental disaster prevents news from them.
Pandemics like the one we live in right now aren't very common. Heck, there hasn't even been any since the idea of Directs ever started.

We don't know how they might handle it, especially with rumors of a June Direct being cancelled outright rather than postponed.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pandemics like these aren't very common. Heck, there hasn't even been any since the idea of Directs ever started.

We don't know how they might handle it, especially with rumors of a June Direct being cancelled outright rather than postponed.
Considering that we got Paper Mario news bum out of nowhere, I don't think it'd be especially difficult for the showcase to happen if it'll happen by itself. And there was a prepared restructuring that must have been stabilized by now.

The worse that would happen is the showcase having worse sound quality than usual, due to being done at a house.

Hell, we just got Pokémon news, even if not much new info came out of them.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Paper Mario, going off how soon it releases, was probably also almost done. The same might could be said of the ARMS fighter, but they may delay the next announcement until they know when it can be released. Though, ARMS isn't safe either as that Direct specifically mentioned that the dates might be changed.

And, as for the apology from Sakurai, well, it was kind of a poor move. Oh, they didn't make it in time even though we're doing DLC and could put them in that. Here, have a consolation prize. That didn't sit well with me even when I'd never played the game.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
The thing about Directs is that Nintendo have a responsibility to the 3rd parties they're working with, if theres any doubt of a direct happening they have to let them know, so they can make their own alternative plans rather than holding off a games entire marketing schedule until Nintendo decides what it wants to do. Persoally I think theres still a chance of a Nintendo focused Direct being put together.

Also we're waiting on a character presentation, not a reveal, since E3 directs are followed by Treehouse, I imagine they never planned to demo them at E3, so while the ARMS presentation might happen next week, I doubt that was always the plan. E3 also tends to avoid direct shadow drops, instead scheduling things for the end of the event, a few days later.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if you don't believe that news are coming soon, we're still getting spirit events and tournaments, without stopping. As far as I know, those aren't being done by robots, there must at least be one person managing those.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Tournaments should be mostly as simple as flipping a few switches. The hardest part about that should be those admittedly nice pictures they use to promote them.

Spirit board events would take a bit more effort, but even then, get the PNG file and make up a few special fights. It's not like they are extremely hard to do, and that's for ones that have new spirits. For old ones, again, the hardest part is probably the graphics. Even then, they could have been planned in advance.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I personally find it unlikely the ARMS fighter reveal will come on its own when the presentation/direct drops, I think we're going to get at least a trailer drop for FP7 on top of that

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder... you think Sakurai might have had the Sakurai presents already filmed before the lockdown?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder... you think Sakurai might have had the Sakurai presents already filmed before the lockdown?
Probably. Knowing how much advance planning he does, I wouldn't be shocked if he had some done all the way to the middle, if not end, of the pass.

At least that will be taken care of once September rolls around.

Anyway, when do we think we'll get the Smash announcement? My original thought was next Tuesday (a week after the Pokemon announcement, like last year), but with everything that's been going on, now I'm not sure.
Should be around next Thursday, since that's when we got the Byleth one, IIRC. Failing that, we still got the entire rest of the month, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
These presentations seem to be around 1-2 months before a fighter's release, which means it's likely gonna be during lockdown.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping all of ARMS ost is in Smash, was just listening to some of the character themes and they all sound great.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Arthur97

Smash Master
They could do it during lockdown potentially as it really shouldn't take many people to record one. Though, they can't be done too far in advance since they seem to only work on one entry at a time.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Tomorrow is the absolute earliest we could see a potential announcement for the Smash direct/presentation, but I'm more likely to bet on Monday or Tuesday

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Whatever the case, it's definitely not a coincidence Nintendo waited around the time close to ARMS' 3rd anniversary on the 16th when they could've dropped a name awhile back. Perhaps it'll be even when the fighter comes out.

Wonder if to coincide with Smash getting ARMS content, ARMS gets a new glove: the chain chomp.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Tomorrow is the absolute earliest we could see a potential announcement for the Smash direct/presentation, but I'm more likely to bet on Monday or Tuesday
So what you're saying is it's confirmed to be happening tomorrow?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm going to wait until mid June before I start anticipating anything. Otherwise you're just sitting around going "...any day now..."

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So assuming the ARMS reveal trailer won't be similar to Terry's reveal, where every character tries to make a grab for the invitation, how would you imagine each character's reveal trailer to play out? For example, here's a good one for Dr. Coyle: Opening up with the heroes vs villains slideshow that was originally used in K.Rool's reveal, it's revealed that the grainy images weren't viewed from DK's TV, but from a monitor in a lab. We see Coyle studying the images, let out a sinister laugh, and turns around to fully reveal herself.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I have a strong feeling that no matter the fighter, no matter the setting, no matter the scenario, we will absolutely have the ARMS character obscured in shadow in the distance shooting out his/her ARM and then retracting it to reveal the fighter.

For example. Let's say everyone is fighting over the invitation to Smash. You'll have the fighter extend their arm and grab the letter from everyone else. The arm will pull the letter to a figure in the shadows who will step into the light and reveal themself.

Or you get a continuation of the Kencineroar trailer where Ken and Incineroar are fighting in the ring. It looks like Ken is the victor but out of the shadows a fist extends and punches Ken out of the ring. The arm retracts and the fighter steps into the light to reveal themself.

I can totally see the extend-retract reveal happening.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I honestly don't know what level of quality to expect from the trailer anymore. In-game Arms engine seems the most likely, where biff is commentating over an arena while stuff is going on.

In which case, I think the reveal will involve two or more characters fighting for the belt, and then getting the smash invite instead. If Min Min, I would imagine they would recreate the final from the party crash bash (vs. NInjara); if Spring Man, I could see him fighting Ribbon Girl or Springtron and winning, but then the loser sneaks in as an echo (RG) or alt (Springtron).

alternatively, if I'm allowed to dream, I would love a cut-scene of the arms credits with min min getting the belt, then it cuts to an actual CGI trailer where she receives the letter, but as she tries to grab it she gets attacked by hair... Twintelle? Nope.... it's Shantae!! Cue epic battle music.
Lol, ok, that's not going to happen, but seriously though, I expect Biff talking over something close to the IG Arms cutscenes or credits.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
So assuming the ARMS reveal trailer won't be similar to Terry's reveal, where every character tries to make a grab for the invitation, how would you imagine each character's reveal trailer to play out? For example, here's a good one for Dr. Coyle: Opening up with the heroes vs villains slideshow that was originally used in K.Rool's reveal, it's revealed that the grainy images weren't viewed from DK's TV, but from a monitor in a lab. We see Coyle studying the images, let out a sinister laugh, and turns around to fully reveal herself.
Or what about this: Ken and Incineroar are back in the ring but paired as a tag team. Their opponent approaches as a silhouette but one thing you notice is they're floating. As the light fades, it's revealed to be Dark Samus but only her. While wondering where her partner is, another figure comes floating down from the ceiling and surprises Ken & Incineroar attacking from behind, sending them flying. Dr. Coyle's theme plays as the camera moves up revealing her face.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
One thing I can say for certain:

If we get a single ARMS character (no additional characters as alts or anything), the trailer will have all of the ARMS characters fighting for the invite like in Terry's trailer.
If they goes this route making it a montage of the ARMS Party Crash Bash would be pretty amazing if they went for Min Min.

Staarih

Smash Master
Maybe not before the lockdown but it definitely is ready by now, seeing as Byleth’s was filmed in November but shown in January. Now it’s just a matter of when to release it.

And speaking of which, I (too) think next week would be ideal because that’s when E3 would’ve happened, but I could see the week after that as well because of ARMS’ anniversary. But then again, I’d rather not expect anything since if 2020 has shown us anything, it’s that things never go how they should...

Arthur97

Smash Master
Huh, I'm kinda hoping for Spring Man (maybe along with Ribbon Girl). The mascot and, well, it would blow speculation wide open and shatter at least two fan rules (assist trophy and spirits). Plus, Smash generally goes with those types first. The assist trophy shouldn't be insurmountable since those can already be deactivated on a stage by stage basis (like Alucard on Wii Fit Studio at least when the mirrors are there).

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I've been wondering, could ARMS have worked on the wii with the remote & nunchuck combo ?
I don't think the sensors where precise enough for the kind of movement ARMS requires.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Hopefully we get the Hero scenario in where we get Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and whoever else as alts for one slot.
Would certainly hope. Either someone not Spring Man or Spring Man with character alts is fine but Spring Man alone would feel like a waste of an attempt at secrecy when the "main character" is always the most expected.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would certainly hope. Either someone not Spring Man or Spring Man with character alts is fine but Spring Man alone would feel like a waste of an attempt at secrecy when the "main character" is always the most expected.
I only want Spring Man so he can break the Assist Trophy barrier but I want Min Min more as a character.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I only want Spring Man so he can break the Assist Trophy barrier but I want Min Min more as a character.
Same but with Dr. Coyle for me. If they do character alts, I imagine the Final Smash will be Rush Attack since it's a universal move for all ARMS fighters.

Top Bottom