• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattX20

Smash Hero
Personally, I'd rather have Min Min over Springman as I like her character and design more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if ARMS characters are DLC, I'm thinking the first we'd hear of them would be March next year. Not only in it enough time to whip up a model, it's also the start of a new fiscal year and DLC sounds like the sort of thing that investors eat up.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
ARMS should have a character in the base game. Splatoon shouldn't be the only new Nintendo IP in the game. I would like a character that debuted in a game during Ultimate's development like with Greninja and Roy. Roy debuted in Melee before his game came out in Japan. ARMS as a game could have already been in development in 2015 when the plans for Ultimate was given. Characters in the Smash games get scrapped and added in mid-development. There is no reason ARMS shouldn't be in the game from launch.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
ARMS should have a character in the base game. Splatoon shouldn't be the only new Nintendo IP in the game. I would like a character that debuted in a game during Ultimate's development like with Greninja and Roy. Roy debuted in Melee before his game came out in Japan. ARMS as a game could have already been in development in 2015 when the plans for Ultimate was given. Characters in the Smash games get scrapped and added in mid-development. There is no reason ARMS shouldn't be in the game from launch.
To be fair, Pokemon and Fire Emblem were current running series. So they could anticipate new titles in the series when planning the project plan. Splatoon didn't get a character in Smash 4 despite the game being a smash hit, I imagine (and I hope I am wrong) ARMS would get the same treatment. At least DLC is a possibility.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
To be fair, Pokemon and Fire Emblem were current running series. So they could anticipate new titles in the series when planning the project plan. Splatoon didn't get a character in Smash 4 despite the game being a smash hit, I imagine (and I hope I am wrong) ARMS would get the same treatment. At least DLC is a possibility.
The Inklings at least got DLC trophies and Mii costumes and were the first newcomer revealed for Ultimate. They were probably saving them for Ultimate to have more time to figure out the moveset. Fire Emblem characters must have been easy to do because they have Marth to work off of.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
To
The Inklings at least got DLC trophies and Mii costumes and were the first newcomer revealed for Ultimate. They were probably saving them for Ultimate to have more time to figure out the moveset. Fire Emblem characters must have been easy to do because they have Marth to work off of.
Pikmin was a similar situation in Melee. As was Mario Galaxy content in Brawl. They lagged behind a generation.

It's probably because they were too new or in production when the project plan was being finalized (which is early development.)

But you could be onto something with waiting to funny realize the characters as well. Things like Olimar's Pikmin, Inkling's ink, Mario Galaxy's stage's gravity, etc. Are pretty unique and might need a lot of bug testing/added console power/trial and error to get right. It might have been too much of a hassle/resources to add as DLC or late as a late addition (like Sonic in Brawl.)

ARMS doesn't have something as complex as those gimmicks so maybe it will have a better chance.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The Inkling's ink could be impossible for the 3DS's graphics, so that would be another reason we had to wait for Ultimate. The stretchy arms should be able to work fine on the Switch and since ARMS is a fighting game, it shouldn't be too hard to work on a moveset.

Staarih

Smash Master
While DLC is probably the most likely situation for an ARMS character's inclusion, I'd rather keep that speculation until after release... since I'm still lowkey hoping for a spot in the base roster haha!

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
I think if we were to get an ARMS rep for Smash, it will probably be most likely Spring Man with Ribbon Girl as an echo fighter or alternate costume. I would love to see some other characters like Min Min, Ninjara, and Twintelle to get in.

If we were to get an ARMS stage for Smash, we most likely going get Spring Stadium.:

Or maybe possibly Ribbon Ring?

Or why not both?

So, what ARMS stage would you like to see in Smash Ultimate? I think these two stages could possibly fit well in Smash.

Last edited:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
As a dark horse choice, Kid Cobra’s stage was always fun to me
I could see Ramen Bowl as a stage in Smash.

1531782444127.jpeg

If Springman, Ribbon Girl, or any other characters get into Smash, I could see either of them using one of their special attacks as a Final Smash.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I came here because I have literally no idea what ARMS is other than a new IP for Nintendo. However, that alone gives a character from the game a good chance for publicity and to push the IP the way Smash revived KI, saved Fire Emblem and turned Xenoblade into a franchise.

That said, so I don't have to read every single page, can someone explain to me a little more about ARMs, Spring Man, gameplay of the game, potential moves for a smash rep etc.? I may be inclined to lend my support, I just don't know anything about this and I'm curious about it.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
That said, so I don't have to read every single page, can someone explain to me a little more about ARMs, Spring Man, gameplay of the game, potential moves for a smash rep etc.? I may be inclined to lend my support, I just don't know anything about this and I'm curious about it.
You punch people with extendable arms (that are spring-loaded). That's basically 90% of the gameplay.

Each arm also has different elements (Burn, Stun, Freeze, Paralyze, Poison, Blind or Knockback) that apply a penalty on the foe. You can mix and match elements.

Use your characters unique abilities (reflectors, arm disabling, levitation, super armor, multiple jumps, literally Witch Time, vanishing, SSB4 rage mechanic and a whole slew of other traits) to get the right position to punch people.

Springman specifically has a psuedo-reflector (it doesn't send attacks back or deal damage, but it does cancel the opponent's attack to fail and enter endlag) and he buffs up his moves when he has low health. He has an easy echo in Springtron, a mechanical clone made in Springman's image (think Metal Sonic) that doesn't have the self-buff, but the reflector has a massive AOE and totally shuts down the opponent's attacks temporarily once sufficiently charged.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of ARMS stages, what would be cool, if unlikely is if each character got their own supporters in the crowd.

With 66 of them so far it'd be a big task though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I came here because I have literally no idea what ARMS is other than a new IP for Nintendo. However, that alone gives a character from the game a good chance for publicity and to push the IP the way Smash revived KI, saved Fire Emblem and turned Xenoblade into a franchise.

I'm not sure if I would say Smash saved the FE and revived Kid Icarus.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To clear the air: Smash let Fire Emblem break into the west but it was Awakening that saved it when it was at its lowest point and Kid Icarus had a revival in the works while Smash Brawl was in production but that one fell through and the teams weren't working together. So Smash brought Fire Emblem to the west and got Kid Icarus out of development hell.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To clear the air: Smash let Fire Emblem break into the west but it was Awakening that saved it when it was at its lowest point and Kid Icarus had a revival in the works while Smash Brawl was in production but that one fell through and the teams weren't working together. So Smash brought Fire Emblem to the west and got Kid Icarus out of development hell.
its also seemingly caused jr to be trapped in the clown car

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah I know Awakening was Fire Emblems savior, but breaking into the west helped that, and many people, myself included, only started playing Fire Emblem when they saw Lucina get owned by Captain Falcon and saw Robin's reveal. I started researching Awakening afterwards, and now I own multiple FE games. There's no denying that without Smash, Fire Emblem would probably be alive, but not the gaming brand it is today.

The bottom line is that Smash exposure is the best exposure a game series can have, and giving ARMs that exposure is a sensible business move for a new IP. Just look how Xenoblade is flourishing now.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I feel like Spring Stadium wouldn't be chosen because Boxing Ring is so similar (right down to the spring outer sides.) Some of the other stages would be more interesting. Ribbon Ring, Ramen Bowl, Cinema Deux all seem like good choices because they are unique to Smash in setting/gimmick/stage design and are a way to represent a popular ARMS fighter outside of playable (like have a playable fighter, a stage featuring another ARMS character or two, and an Assist-)

I think [Name Redacted] would also have a decent chance as a stage if an ARMS stage was added. Unique gimmicks having moving floors pushing fighters to the middle section (probably middle and very outside ledges as well as floating platforms being the only non conveyor belt surfaces.) Could have a couple test tubes that come in that can block attacks but also be broken. Have Max Brass and Dr. Coyle appear in the background.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So there’s a new “leak” claiming that Springman would get confirmed at EVO with a Ribbongirl costume. But I honestly can’t see it just being those two if this was real.

They would need another fighting game character from a series represented at EVO like Ken or Heihachi to really make a splash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, the FGC is pretty snobby about what they consider a "true fighting game", we in the Smash community would know well.

When is EVO incidentally?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I feel like Spring Stadium wouldn't be chosen because Boxing Ring is so similar (right down to the spring outer sides.) Some of the other stages would be more interesting. Ribbon Ring, Ramen Bowl, Cinema Deux all seem like good choices because they are unique to Smash in setting/gimmick/stage design and are a way to represent a popular ARMS fighter outside of playable (like have a playable fighter, a stage featuring another ARMS character or two, and an Assist-)

I think [Name Redacted] would also have a decent chance as a stage if an ARMS stage was added. Unique gimmicks having moving floors pushing fighters to the middle section (probably middle and very outside ledges as well as floating platforms being the only non conveyor belt surfaces.) Could have a couple test tubes that come in that can block attacks but also be broken. Have Max Brass and Dr. Coyle appear in the background.
I think [Name Redacted] would be a terrible name for a stage. Those brackets are impossible to title on a wiki.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think [Name Redacted] would be a terrible name for a stage. Those brackets are impossible to title on a wiki.
That's what the <nowiki> tags are for but I agree it wouldnt' be the best for Smash. Pokemon Stadium 2 already covers the convayer belts.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well I think they would care more about it's in-game name in ARMS then wiki formatting.
That being said, it was a later update for a game that was made after the project plan was lined up so it is unlikely.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Question, can I make a general thread on SkullGirls?
Sure, you can make a thread on anyone who's mainly a video game character.

Anyway, I just ordered a Nintendo Switch on Amazon so that I could play Smash Ultimate. And the two games I ordered with it are LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 and LEGO Incredibles. I'm thinking of ordering ARMS as my third game.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Certainly if Spring Man made it in, Ribbon Girl would be an easy Echo Fighter to construct. Just give her a 3rd jump and supposing that their neutral B charges its punches; Spring Man gets a shield from fully charging and Ribbon Girl doesn't.
I sort of gave up on the idea of Spring Man early since everyone else did, with all rumors about him being too new for Smash which ended its planning phase around 2015 etc. But Im reconsidering him since I loved ARMS so much.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Sure, you can make a thread on anyone who's mainly a video game character.

Anyway, I just ordered a Nintendo Switch on Amazon so that I could play Smash Ultimate. And the two games I ordered with it are LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 and LEGO Incredibles. I'm thinking of ordering ARMS as my third game.
Have you ever tried Splatoon?
Did you own a Wii U? There are a lot of good games on the Switch. ARMS is fun, but a lot of the players who continue to play are a lot of the dedicated players who already known the controls and such. Maybe joining a discord to find some other players might make it more enjoyable as you learn.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, can I make a general thread on SkullGirls?
Sure thing, just remember to post that you made it in the directory thread so that no one else goes ahead an makes one.

On the latest rumors, I hope Ribbon Girl isn't just an alt costume for Spring Man, though I'll take it over nothing. I wonder how hard it is to balance two fighters with the same moveset but one has better recovery and the other has deflectors.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If the EVO leak was somehow real, I would expect a trailer of Springman fighting Little Mac and Ryu before Heihachi challenges him.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
To
Pikmin was a similar situation in Melee. As was Mario Galaxy content in Brawl. They lagged behind a generation.
Pikmin and Mario Galaxy both came out a few months of the respective Smash game's launch. ARMS would have been out for a year and a half by the time Ultimate comes out. Its not really comparable.

I would say Breaker Beach would be the best one. Interesting design and it is one of the main ARMS stages. Also have Hoops and V-Ball in the background.

Certainly if Spring Man made it in, Ribbon Girl would be an easy Echo Fighter to construct. Just give her a 3rd jump and supposing that their neutral B charges its punches; Spring Man gets a shield from fully charging and Ribbon Girl doesn't.
I sort of gave up on the idea of Spring Man early since everyone else did, with all rumors about him being too new for Smash which ended its planning phase around 2015 etc. But Im reconsidering him since I loved ARMS so much.
Keep in mind the Smash community is often wrong about these things. No one thought Villager would happen because of a comment Sakurai made. People didn't expect a Gen 6 Pokemon to happen because it was "too new" (wasn't even done as part of "Rate Their Chances"). Heck, people didn't think Daisy would happen. I wouldn't take everything the community says at face value.
I do agree with you on the Ribbon Girl echo. They both have unique attributes. Moreover, since the ARMS are just recolors, you can have them use different ones similar to Pit and Dark Pits arm weapon.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Pikmin and Mario Galaxy both came out a few months of the respective Smash game's launch. ARMS would have been out for a year and a half by the time Ultimate comes out. Its not really comparable.

I would say Breaker Beach would be the best one. Interesting design and it is one of the main ARMS stages. Also have Hoops and V-Ball in the background.

Keep in mind the Smash community is often wrong about these things. No one thought Villager would happen because of a comment Sakurai made. People didn't expect a Gen 6 Pokemon to happen because it was "too new" (wasn't even done as part of "Rate Their Chances"). Heck, people didn't think Daisy would happen. I wouldn't take everything the community says at face value.
I do agree with you on the Ribbon Girl echo. They both have unique attributes. Moreover, since the ARMS are just recolors, you can have them use different ones similar to Pit and Dark Pits arm weapon.
You are right, it isn't comparable because ARMS is a new unproven IP. Things like Pokemon and FE have had additions of newer characters because those series are a bit formalic and you know a new entry is coming and what the characters will be like.

I want ARMS in Smash. I just want to buffer expectations that they are guaranteed.

Buster beach is unique in a 3D space- not sure how it'd translate to a 2D space, but it is unique thematically. We only have one beach stage in Smash so far. Still would really like Ribbon Ring. We need ARMS music in Smash.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm still taking that EVO leak with a grain of salt for now, but still I would still like an ARMS rep to be in the base, although I do not mind if they end up being as DLC.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You are right, it isn't comparable because ARMS is a new unproven IP. Things like Pokemon and FE have had additions of newer characters because those series are a bit formalic and you know a new entry is coming and what the characters will be like.

I want ARMS in Smash. I just want to buffer expectations that they are guaranteed.

Buster beach is unique in a 3D space- not sure how it'd translate to a 2D space, but it is unique thematically. We only have one beach stage in Smash so far. Still would really like Ribbon Ring. We need ARMS music in Smash.
I think the "unproven" IP thing is just fan speculation and nothing more. We haven't really seen a situation where an "unproven" IP gets excluded. The only IP to be excluded that had a longer run was Animal Crossing but this was due to Sakurai not thinking it could have a fighter. Xenoblade got a fighter despite the series selling less than 1 million so I don't think series need to prove themselves. As I stated previously, Pikmin and Splatoon came out around the new Smash title releasing so it wouldn't have been added anyway. On expectations, Its fine to buffer them. Everything we are talking about is guess work so its impossible for us to say which way it will go. I think ARMS has a great chance but you never know.

As for Breaker Beach, the stage has a upper part with a slightly raised ground and slope and a ramp on the other side. So it wouldnt be hard to turn it into a 2D stage. It would be a nice pallet cleanser as it would be unique without a lot of gimmicks but still distinct enough where you can have some strategy in how you play.
I'm still taking that EVO leak with a grain of salt for now, but still I would still like an ARMS rep to be in the base, although I do not mind if they end up being as DLC.
I would. Although I want it to be true, its probably BS.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
You know that statement about me getting a Switch? I'm going to have to wait longer because Mom stole $100 from my account, leaving me with $1.11 which is not enough to afford anything, so I had to ask Amazon to cancel the delivery and refund.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know that statement about me getting a Switch? I'm going to have to wait longer because Mom stole $100 from my account, leaving me with $1.11 which is not enough to afford anything, so I had to ask Amazon to cancel the delivery and refund.
How even?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think the "unproven" IP thing is just fan speculation and nothing more. We haven't really seen a situation where an "unproven" IP gets excluded. The only IP to be excluded that had a longer run was Animal Crossing but this was due to Sakurai not thinking it could have a fighter. Xenoblade got a fighter despite the series selling less than 1 million so I don't think series need to prove themselves. As I stated previously, Pikmin and Splatoon came out around the new Smash title releasing so it wouldn't have been added anyway. On expectations, Its fine to buffer them. Everything we are talking about is guess work so its impossible for us to say which way it will go. I think ARMS has a great chance but you never know.

As for Breaker Beach, the stage has a upper part with a slightly raised ground and slope and a ramp on the other side. So it wouldnt be hard to turn it into a 2D stage. It would be a nice pallet cleanser as it would be unique without a lot of gimmicks but still distinct enough where you can have some strategy in how you play.

I would. Although I want it to be true, its probably BS.
Is it called Breaker Beach in other versions of ARMS or is that just autocorrect?

Brand new IPs getting in Smash after their debut title was in development alongside Smash is not the norm in Smash. Animal Crossing wasn't a new IP (not sure why you brought it up- it had 6 main releases prior to Smash 4- N64, Gamecube, Gamecube +, DS, Wii, 3DS I was specifically talking about a whole new IP.) Xenoblade has history prior to Nintendo because of the loose ties to the Xeno games. Not related, but Xenoblade wasn't this unquantifiable thing and it had a sequel in the pipelines.
Smash tends to lag behind in content due to the way the game is planned and how rigid the project plan is in terms of playable fighters in the base roster.
ARMS content isn't a definite. Also saying that new IP commonly get into Smash as playable isn't exactly true. Otherwise we would have seen a Rhythm Heaven character a while ago. Or Dillon. Or Miis in Brawl. Etc. Sure, some had other issues such as not wanting real people to be in the fight in the form of miis.

Remember that the director of ARMS even said it might be too early to see them in Smash. Yeah, hope it's just misdirection PR fluff but it could also be a statement meant to be taken at face value.

You can continue to think they are likely but I personally think they are not as likely as some people claim. I don't think they are a 100% given and I think people should hype responsibly.

Remember I am saying this as a huge ARMS fan who wants ARMS content in Smash. I love new first party IPs, and I am not saying this because I don't want to see them in Smash. I am saying this because I feel like it is what will happen according to the past. My hope is for DLC.

Top Bottom