• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And besides, I didn't like Alph as an alt of Olimar nor did I like having all of Bowser Jr.'s brothers (and sister) as alts. But I liked how Lucina had her own slot rather than a Marth alt with all her similarities. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and any other ARMS characters should have their own slots.
yeah it would have been better if alph was his own character

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
They can't make Spring Girl an alt, they have different body types and they don't fight that similarly.
Now that i got a good look at them you`re right they do have different body types.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And it would also be better if they got rid of the Koopalings. Mario's a bit overrepresented anyway and we can't have two different Roys.
yeah they should get rid of those koopalings, though my sentiments on mario representation are slightly different

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
yeah they should get rid of those koopalings, though my sentiments on mario representation are slightly different
Well, if I were to add more Mario characters to compensate for the loss of the Koopalings, it would be Daisy (in her Tennis clothes) as my number one pick. Waluigi, King K. Rool, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong and Geno could be added to please some people. There we go, six better Mario characters to replace the Koopalings and two of them count for Donkey Kong's series!

And since this thread is for ARMS representation, maybe we could get eight ARMS characters in? Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Helix, Mechanica, Master Mummy and the tag team character Byte & Barq. They are very unique in their own ways so they can't be alternate skins of eachother but instead would take their own slots. How could Twintelle who uses her hair be a alt for Spring Man?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, if I were to add more Mario characters to compensate for the loss of the Koopalings, it would be Daisy (in her Tennis clothes) as my number one pick. Waluigi, King K. Rool, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong and Geno could be added to please some people. There we go, six better Mario characters to replace the Koopalings and two of them count for Donkey Kong's series!

And since this thread is for ARMS representation, maybe we could get eight ARMS characters in? Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Helix, Mechanica, Master Mummy and the tag team character Byte & Barq. They are very unique in their own ways so they can't be alternate skins of eachother but instead would take their own slots. How could Twintelle who uses her hair be a alt for Spring Man?
yeah our mario views differ greatly

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure that's exactly how character selection process works!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We're entering the final Week now.
Fingers crossed everybody.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The ARMS characters could be revealed after E3, right? It's not like E3 will the only thing to reveal everything from Smash Bros.
True. I'm betting Nintendo has more reveals lined up after E3 to keep the hype burn going.

And if the talk of ARMS not being in the base game is true, I'm hoping they're lined up for DLC. (Especially if the no cuts tales are true)

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
The ARMS characters could be revealed after E3, right? It's not like E3 will the only thing to reveal everything from Smash Bros.
Definitely. I don't see them showing off every newcomer at E3, so we'll likely only know a fraction of the newcomers in a week.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
we're bound to have some kind of arms content in the new smash perhaps we'll see in some pic of the day, if sakurai starts doing those again

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pics Of the day were cool but we don't have to wait for moře then a few months so I doubt they'll return.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As much as I liked the blog posts and pics of the day, I can't help at think that production is a lot quicker without them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
why would they affect production?
Extra time to set them up and write them. Not a huge amount each day but it still adds up over time.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly expecting an ARMS character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, even considering the announcement that there's not going to be too many newcomers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm of the mind that with no veterans left, Spring Man is in with a good chance of being DLC. Maybe they'd sweeten the deal and have Ribbon Girl as a clone. Not an Echo mind, a Melee style clone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m not sure which character exactly I’d want, but an ARMS rep would be really neat, IMO. It would be also a way of representing the “Tatsumi Kimishima era” of Nintendo, when Kimishima stepped up to fill the void after Iwata’s passing in 2015. If I’m not mistaken Kimishima will retire soon if he hasn’t already, so it’s a nice way to pay tribute to him by representing one of the IPs established during his run.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Min Min all the way.

For one, I like her design the most. But also, she would be less "stretchy arms Little Mac" since she commonly uses her legs as well.

I'd imagine that if ARMS gets a representative, it'll be Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, since they're the lead characters. But I genuinely hope Sakurai saw Min Min's design and thought, "That's the one."

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer Ribbon Girl or Min Min over Spring Man because I love the female character designs in ARMS. At any rate, I dont expect an ARMS character to make it into Smash unfortunately. I think the franchise is still too fresh.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'd prefer Ribbon Girl or Min Min over Spring Man because I love the female character designs in ARMS. At any rate, I dont expect an ARMS character to make it into Smash unfortunately. I think the franchise is still too fresh.
Oh please. Have you seen how fresh these guys are?

And they made it in!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sure, but Splatoon was incredibly successful and had a sequel by the time Smash4 came out. ARMS... isn't really very comparable in that regard, unfortunately.
...n-no, it was a joke. Because they're fresh--

You know what, nevermind. Ruined now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And in terms of sales, ARMS hasn't been Splatoon levels but ARMS hasn't been suffering either. It's sold more nearly 2 million which is impressive if your name doesn't start with "S" and end with "uper Mario"

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not that Nintendo bases their Smash decisions on sales. But it's a fair point.

To put it in perspective, ARMS has almost outsold Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and X combined. And I'd argue ARMS had a smaller development budget than either of those games. But to also put it in perspective, Splatoon sold twice as much in its first year on the Wii U.

Even though the hype cooled off rather quickly, I think Nintendo plans on creating a sequel someday based on initial popularity. Dark Horse is in the works on an ARMS graphic novel. I'm waiting for the inevitable amiibo announcement alongside a Smash reveal, since it's rather shockingly absent.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So spring man or any ARMS character is off my current prediction roster, but that's only for base. I think he is very likely (although something could happen simialr to what happened to the Inklings) for DLC. In fact I would love a bundle with him and Ribbon Girl as an echo (she would have multiple jumps unlike him but be lighter and weaker). Unfortunately my girl Twintelle will probably have to sit out of this game :(

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd prefer Ribbon Girl or Min Min over Spring Man because I love the female character designs in ARMS.
Not only the female characters - I find every character in ARMS to be extremely well designed, it’s really hard to pick a favorite (...jk, Mechanica all the way).

Spring Man is the obvious prediction for Smash, but I’d be fine with any character tbh. And while the success of the game in its own warrants a sequel, I feel like an appearance in Smash would really solidify ARMS’ future.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I just thought of something. What if every attack the ARMS character has extends depending on how long you hold down the button. Even the standard jab could be close range or extend very far depending on if you tap or hold the button.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I just thought of something. What if every attack the ARMS character has extends depending on how long you hold down the button. Even the standard jab could be close range or extend very far depending on if you tap or hold the button.
To balance that out, they'd likely need to go the Dhalsim route and extend the hurtbox along with the hitbox, meaning you risk getting hit anytime you extend your arms in such a way.

I'd be for it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well I was thinking that the attacks are slower when you extend them and you can't react as fast. Think about all the characters who use a tether to grab vs just grabbing with their own hands. The close up grabs are usually faster and don't leave you quite as open. Then think about the Links and their hookshots.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
I'll be genuinely surprised if ARMS gets character representation right now. There's been precedent about how much the year a game gets released affects the appearance of a character. ARMS, I can see as DLC. Even then they refused to create Inklings, which they could have done.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Even if Ultimate has less newcomers than Melee, I think an ARMS character whether it's Spring Man or Ribbon Girl or even both should get top priority to be a newcomer in the base game before they announce DLC for more. While the Inklings were a great representative of a new game, Smash Wii U had them as a trophy and Mii costume DLC and they were confirmed for Ultimate in the first teaser before we knew anything. Seeing someone from ARMS would be more exciting for the new game. If Ryu from Capcom's fighting games can make it to Smash, a character from another Nintendo fighting game should make it to Smash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Smash fanbase has been kind of weird with ARMS. It seems like given an opportunity they will say it won't happen and its usually the silliest reason.

Looking in to it, I'd say they have a good shot. So far, all the new content has been primarily focused on new titles. The only new stages shown thus far are from Splatoon (2015) and Breath of the Wild (2017). They also teased a Mario Odyssey stage. It would be very odd that the new game has only three stages so I wouldn't doubt there would be more. Also, we haven't seen a lot of assist trophies from new games either. Even though Zelda gets a ton of new assist trophies, there was nothing from Breath of the Wild.

I'm thinking that after a few weeks they will start trickling the new content with most of it focused on the newer titles (2014 and beyond). I wouldn't doubt that they would show off ARMS characters later on and with a Mario Odyssey stage we can say the timing thing isn't an issue. Smash games in general add mostly from new games. 7 of the 14 new Wii U characters didn't exist before 2007, and of the other 7, Palutena and Bowser Jr took heavily from the newer titles (actually, Palutena had only appeared in the NES game before). I dont doubt that would be the case for this game. With unique moves, being from a new series and being decently popular that ARMS has a strong chance. Heck, they even have a good Echo with Ribbon Girl (as ARMS characters don't very two much besides two abilities and the ARMS).

I think the problem is people got it in their head that it cant happen which was the result of bad logic. Its the same scenario with Villager in Smash 4. I hear enough about ARMS about of Smash Bros communities and a lot of folk expect them. I feel like its a good chance.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
ARMS is barely a year old. The only times we've seen new characters appear despite their age were Roy, Greninja and Corrin; the first one is unique in that he is the only character ever simply for commercial reasons, which means it isn't a situation that will occur frequently, and is an exception by itself. Greninja was added essentially out of tradition, said by Sakurai as the only time a "slot" is saved, not even having a specific Pokemon in mind. Corrin is similar to Roy, and actually might be the best example to support why ARMS will receive representation. Corrin was chosen because they desired a character from a game either newly released or soon to be released, and Fates just happened to be that. That said I don't think that's fully true, as Splatoon, despite is unforseen popularity, fits the bill (even if it is a bit older than the time frame Sakurai's team wanted). In terms of other content like stages, it's more possible, but even then examples of a new game getting a stage is few, with the most notable example being Wooly World, which was added to replace a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage so it had a previous iteration beforehand.

Palutena and Bowser Jr. aren't really good comparisons. Both are from already represented franchises, the former from Sakurai's personal baby and the latter from the main franchise.

Furthermore, it's actually appropriate to look at one of the newcomers: Inkling. Inkling sports her Splat 1 design - from the gear all the way to the weapons and moveset. Splat 2 is only a month older than ARMS, and they could have easily focused on updating the design and moveset to add in anything from Splat 2. Now, I can see the argument that Splat 1 released even before DLC for the game ended so they started working on it in the two years before Splat 2, but again, I'd like to emphasize the similarity in time with ARMS' release, as well as the huge popularity of Splat 2.

I think it's more appropriate for to say that I'd be both surprised and unsurprised if ARMS gets more than Trophies, or even a stage. The game isn't even the smash hit that Splatoon was, which if it was I'd consider their chances more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Smash fanbase has been kind of weird with ARMS. It seems like given an opportunity they will say it won't happen and its usually the silliest reason.

Looking in to it, I'd say they have a good shot. So far, all the new content has been primarily focused on new titles. The only new stages shown thus far are from Splatoon (2015) and Breath of the Wild (2017). They also teased a Mario Odyssey stage. It would be very odd that the new game has only three stages so I wouldn't doubt there would be more. Also, we haven't seen a lot of assist trophies from new games either. Even though Zelda gets a ton of new assist trophies, there was nothing from Breath of the Wild.

I'm thinking that after a few weeks they will start trickling the new content with most of it focused on the newer titles (2014 and beyond). I wouldn't doubt that they would show off ARMS characters later on and with a Mario Odyssey stage we can say the timing thing isn't an issue. Smash games in general add mostly from new games. 7 of the 14 new Wii U characters didn't exist before 2007, and of the other 7, Palutena and Bowser Jr took heavily from the newer titles (actually, Palutena had only appeared in the NES game before). I dont doubt that would be the case for this game. With unique moves, being from a new series and being decently popular that ARMS has a strong chance. Heck, they even have a good Echo with Ribbon Girl (as ARMS characters don't very two much besides two abilities and the ARMS).

I think the problem is people got it in their head that it cant happen which was the result of bad logic. Its the same scenario with Villager in Smash 4. I hear enough about ARMS about of Smash Bros communities and a lot of folk expect them. I feel like its a good chance.
There's two minor things added that push ahead the timetable a bit. First Lil' Judd is present in Moray Towers and that the final Pokemon Trainer skin is based of Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon which means content from as late as November 17th 2017 at least is in the game. ARMS came out 16th June.

Long story short, I really hope we don't get Spring Man as an Assist Trophy. Though at least if we do, we have a lot of fighters to fall back on. (Wouldn't be the first time a secondary character in a fighting game gets the spotlight while the MC becomes obscure, eg. Darkstalkers)

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
There's two minor things added that push ahead the timetable a bit. First Lil' Judd is present in Moray Towers and that the final Pokemon Trainer skin is based of Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon which means content from as late as November 17th 2017 at least is in the game. ARMS came out 16th June.
Ah, forgot about Lil' Judd, and you are correct about USUM's represenation. But I think those two are the same cases as Mario Odyssey's representation in Smash - really basic touches. Mario gets to be an exception with the New Donk City stage and the Wedding Outfit alongside the Cappy visual, but that's because Mario is Mario. I think there needs to be emphasis ARMS ' level of popularity. It is unike Splatoon, much less Pokemon and Mario, both having precedent for getting new stuff in the game anyways despite the time frame. So I don't think it'fair to compare chances with big franchises.

Top Bottom