• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Garfont 9 - A Xenoblade series discussion thread

Which one would you rather prefer next?

• An HD remaster of Xenoblade 1

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • A port of Xenoblade X

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think 2 had a solid cast, one too. I especially liked Dunbar and Reyn even if they're a bit stereotypical, Shulk is also definitely a better lead character than both Rex and Noah, but Noah is a good step up from Rex. But I just dont think the characters of 3 are as fleshed out and rely a bit too heavy on established roles from earlier games. I kind of feel they're playing it a bit too safe, especially since the original and 2 felt so drastically different.
If you ask me all three of them suffer from jrpg protag blandness syndrome but I still liked all of them. Not sure why. As for your feelings on the cast of three well I’m sure you’re prepared for that to change as you’re still early on

It is easy to get sidetracked

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you ask me all three of them suffer from jrpg protag blandness syndrome but I still liked all of them. Not sure why. As for your feelings on the cast of three well I’m sure you’re prepared for that to change as you’re still early on

It is easy to get sidetracked
Let's hope so. I am indeed quite early into the game but it feels like am progressing fast through the chapters. Am about 15 hours in and I don't grind excessively, but am about level 25 and I read there's about 7 chapters so it leaves me somewhat "worried" am progressing too much without having the idea that there's much development. Sure the plot thickens but yeah, doesn't seem yet it'll carry the same debt as the earlier games. I hope to be proved wrong tho!!! I really really do.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Let's hope so. I am indeed quite early into the game but it feels like am progressing fast through the chapters. Am about 15 hours in and I don't grind excessively, but am about level 25 and I read there's about 7 chapters so it leaves me somewhat "worried" am progressing too much without having the idea that there's much development. Sure the plot thickens but yeah, doesn't seem yet it'll carry the same debt as the earlier games. I hope to be proved wrong tho!!! I really really do.
Well by the time I was done with the story, most of the side quests and exploring I was at around 120 hours. It is easy to get over levelled in this game especially if you use all the bonus exp and that just added to the sidetracking as I could explore higher level areas. In short you shouldn’t worry about getting through it too quickly.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Aligo Aligo , you've been constantly badmouthing XC3 on many threads. Can you explain why you do so here?
There are several reasons, but the main one is that the game is a rushed title trying to act as a resolution to a large overarching plot, and fails miserably as a result. It relies very heavily on pre-existing assets and has the weakest plot in the series by far. It almost feels that the game was made to make a quick buck
I also don't like that the DLC locks parts of the story and important characters behind a paywall either. Will explain more soon, there is a lot to unpack.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There are several reasons, but the main one is that the game is a rushed title trying to act as a resolution to a large overarching plot, and fails miserably as a result. It relies very heavily on pre-existing assets and has the weakest plot in the series by far. It almost feels that the game was made to make a quick buck
I also don't like that the DLC locks parts of the story and important characters behind a paywall either. Will explain more soon, there is a lot to unpack.
it was pushed forward two months, that's hardly rushed. It’s been in development for about five years some of which was spent in quarantine.
it’s perfectly fine to dislike something but you have got to stop making these claims to make it sound objectively bad

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
You have to bear in mind that the development was split 3 ways, with the majority of teams on tears of the kingdom, some doing the DLC (this was known before release due to leaks), and some on the base game itself. A good portion of the individuals working on 3 were also likely new hires, who would be less experienced in general and with the engine monolith uses.

As far as what two months of development time could do, the answer is an awful lot. For instance, if XC2 had another two months of development time could have given the VAs more time to improve their delivery (I imagine it takes up a good amount of the dev cycle for Fe games, their voice acting is phenomenal), and time to refine menus and add Qol changes. Since those are the most common issues people have with the game, both being fixed would affect perceptions of the game a great deal.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You have to bear in mind that the development was split 3 ways, with the majority of teams on tears of the kingdom, some doing the DLC (this was known before release due to leaks), and some on the base game itself. A good portion of the individuals working on 3 were also likely new hires, who would be less experienced in general and with the engine monolith uses.

As far as what two months of development time could do, the answer is an awful lot. For instance, if XC2 had another two months of development time could have given the VAs more time to improve their delivery (I imagine it takes up a good amount of the dev cycle for Fe games, their voice acting is phenomenal), and time to refine menus and add Qol changes. Since those are the most common issues people have with the game, both being fixed would affect perceptions of the game a great deal.
and how do you know these leaks are genuine? you say these things but you don’t cite them. who are these leakers? are they known for being accurate? How come you’re the only one who’s heard of them?

you mean the polish. VA tends to be done early in a games dev from what I’ve heard and quality is subjective. I certainly wouldn’t call the voice acting in FE phenomenal, just average. And I’ve what few complaints I’ve heard about the menu has always been from people who always had more positives than negatives about the game. Probably cause they were all gamers who aren’t petty enough to let the little things ruin them

Aligo

Smash Ace
and how do you know these leaks are genuine? you say these things but you don’t cite them. who are these leakers? are they known for being accurate? How come you’re the only one who’s heard of them?

you mean the polish. VA tends to be done early in a games dev from what I’ve heard and quality is subjective. I certainly wouldn’t call the voice acting in FE phenomenal, just average. And I’ve what few complaints I’ve heard about the menu has always been from people who always had more positives than negatives about the game. Probably cause they were all gamers who aren’t petty enough to let the little things ruin them
It is just those two issues are the most commonly cited ones for XC2. Admittedly I don't know how much two months would have helped 3 given the main issues revolve and the plot and world building, but it could have done a lot. As for the UI and qol stuff, just look at the difference in playerbase and accessibility between 4th and 5th generation monster hunter to see what it can do. Will try to find the leak again, as the source I did have has since been deleted.

Aligo

Smash Ace
I did say I was looking for the earlier leaks, that were on gamefaqs, but have since been unable to find. It was around the same time as the
images of Rex in the ending leaked

Quillion

Smash Hero
I won't get into the arguments about XC3 being rushed considering lack of credible sources.

I will say that IMO, XC3 uses the old assets in a good way. It's a very "Oh, look at that place" manner rather than laziness. They recycle parts of XCDE and 2 as little props, not whole area layouts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I won't get into the arguments about XC3 being rushed considering lack of credible sources.

I will say that IMO, XC3 uses the old assets in a good way. It's a very "Oh, look at that place" manner rather than laziness. They recycle parts of XCDE and 2 as little props, not whole area layouts.
it also fits in perfectly with the world they were trying to create

Aligo

Smash Ace
I feel like XC3 would have been better off not being a xenoblade title. In trying to both tell a particular story, as well as close out an overarching plot, it failed in both regards.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like XC3 would have been better off not being a xenoblade title. In trying to both tell a particular story, as well as close out an overarching plot, it failed in both regards.
that’s not a spoiler

Aligo

Smash Ace
that’s not a spoiler
Oh sorry you are right. Was going to write about the plot inconsistencies, poor villains and the decline in narrative as the game goes on but didn't like the way it came out.

By the way, would you prefer a xenoblade X remaster or sequel?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm glad XC3 closed out the Klaus Saga the way it did. There's no reason to elaborate further on the Monados, Aegises, or the Conduit, so they didn't.

Aligo

Smash Ace
I'm glad XC3 closed out the Klaus Saga the way it did. There's no reason to elaborate further on the Monados, Aegises, or the Conduit, so they didn't.
So a filler title using existing assets to save on dev time and add brand recognition? As far as explaining goes, a lot of things were left unanswered and the world building in aiononis itself is a complete and utter mess. Deliberately killing off the storyline you have been building up for over a decade to make a quick buck is a very questionable move, to say the least.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So a filler title using existing assets to save on dev time and add brand recognition? As far as explaining goes, a lot of things were left unanswered and the world building in aiononis itself is a complete and utter mess. Deliberately killing off the storyline you have been building up for over a decade to make a quick buck is a very questionable move, to say the least.
Bruh, the use of assets from XCDE and XC2 was done in a very deliberate, calculated way; again, not out of laziness.

And what kind of story would you even want out of the Klaus Saga's third installment? Zanza's death also killed the Architect, and the Aegises/Monados no longer have any power because the Conduit went away. There's no reason for any of those people or things to be involved anymore.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aligo Aligo

I'm gonna be blunt. Your criticism is silly and its criticizing as a gotcha to the developers instead of honest level headed criticism.

Accusing developers of being lazy for reusing assets when the plot demands them is assinine. Ultimate reuses damn near everything. Why aren't you mad at that? At least Xenoblade is using it to tell a story.

You don't have to like the game. You don't have to like the developers. But please stop this sitcom nemesis relationship with the game.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Bruh, the use of assets from XCDE and XC2 was done in a very deliberate, calculated way; again, not out of laziness.

And what kind of story would you even want out of the Klaus Saga's third installment? Zanza's death also killed the Architect, and the Aegises/Monados no longer have any power because the Conduit went away. There's no reason for any of those people or things to be involved anymore.
Exploring the aftermath of these things to wrap up the story to see how the world changed and characters interact post Klaus, as it were. Just because shulk and pyra/mythra lost their big powers doesn't mean they cease to exist. Same goes for the nopons and their more estoeric abilities. Sorry for my ineloquence, I will try and explain myself better in the future.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Exploring the aftermath of these things to wrap up the story to see how the world changed and characters interact post Klaus, as it were. Just because shulk and pyra/mythra lost their big powers doesn't mean they cease to exist. Same goes for the nopons and their more estoeric abilities. Sorry for my ineloquence, I will try and explain myself better in the future.
They did that for the Bionis remnants with Future Connected, and while they didn't do something similar for XC2, I don't think it's necessary either (Torna's good enough as an "expansion" anyway).

"The world changing" is exactly what the Bionis remnants and Alrest crashing together is supposed to be. The Conduit was holding the two worlds apart, then when it disappeared, the two started to draw back together again.

I'm getting the impression that the premise you want of a Klaus Saga finale would be a crossover better suited for a Xenoblade Warriors game.

Aligo

Smash Ace
They did that for the Bionis remnants with Future Connected, and while they didn't do something similar for XC2, I don't think it's necessary either (Torna's good enough as an "expansion" anyway).

"The world changing" is exactly what the Bionis remnants and Alrest crashing together is supposed to be. The Conduit was holding the two worlds apart, then when it disappeared, the two started to draw back together again.

I'm getting the impression that the premise you want of a Klaus Saga finale would be a crossover better suited for a Xenoblade Warriors game.
Or an alternate timeline with the normal merging of worlds as suggested in future connected, which along with the trials in two was setting up for such a crossover. The world of xenoblade consists of more than the titan continents, as the entire planet appears to be a global city, which has huge potential for exploration.

As far as the rushing and time pressure goes, things point to the development being affected in the same way XC2 was, where a good portion of monolith were working on the new Zelda title. It is not something they have any control over, and so they cannot be blamed for it. I think it affected the scope and outcome of the development a fair bit, as it did for XC2. The likelihood of XC3 being pushed forward in release time at the same time as tears of the kingdom was delayed being coincidence are small.

No, I don't dislike the developers for it, as stuff like this is a very unfortunate reality of the video game industry. It is the same reason as why there has been no new DKC game and no golden sun.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Or an alternate timeline with the normal merging of worlds as suggested in future connected, which along with the trials in two was setting up for such a crossover. The world of xenoblade consists of more than the titan continents, as the entire planet appears to be a global city, which has huge potential for exploration.

As far as the rushing and time pressure goes, things point to the development being affected in the same way XC2 was, where a good portion of monolith were working on the new Zelda title. It is not something they have any control over, and so they cannot be blamed for it. I think it affected the scope and outcome of the development a fair bit, as it did for XC2. The likelihood of XC3 being pushed forward in release time at the same time as tears of the kingdom was delayed being coincidence are small.

No, I don't dislike the developers for it, as stuff like this is a very unfortunate reality of the video game industry. It is the same reason as why there has been no new DKC game and no golden sun.
XC3 was brought forward to fill the gap left by splatoon 3 being pushed back. They literally swapped release dates

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think XBC3's story is a little weaker than XBC1 and especially XBC2 too, but it's delivery is good. The strong points are the start and middle, end and especially ending is ... Disappointing. I kinda hope DLC fixes it. But it's not a very strong merging of the two story lines, in my personal opinion. The strong mind blowing stuff from Chapter 5 all goes to waste with the ending. Makes you question, what was it all for?

However! This ending did make both Moebius N and M extremely well written villains. But the merging of worlds, with only Nia and Mellia as returning characters from both worlds, it's kind of bland. The locales from the other games aren't even all that important, and just simply there. I sincerely hope DLC fixes this, and also gives us a better ending for Noah and Mio, BECAUSE WHAT THE ****.

D

Deleted member

At least Aligo's criticism towards Xenoblade 3 makes a minimum of sense, unlike the blind hatred towards Xenoblade 2 from two users in particular who shall not be mentioned here.

Quillion

Smash Hero
But it's not a very strong merging of the two story lines, in my personal opinion.
Again:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, would Pyra and Mythra have any sort of power without the Conduit?

Top Bottom