• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Firefox Tech?

Malistir

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this has already been used alot or discovered but I found out that using fox/falcos up b on some platforms can make it so they grab the ledge. Can this be used for anything useful? https://youtu.be/O7Xo3dw5JS4
(Note that you need to angle it a little bit.)

Last edited:

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
i think in general the concept may be something new, but this is just more of manipulating the "grab box" for grabbing the ledge because fox and falco's ledgegrab grab box always comes out about near the end and during the initial freefall animation. if the boxes are active and you are not holding directly downward, you will grab the ledge during the times where the grab box is active no matter what angle you take, and this concept has been used for the longest time. specifically the idea of doing the up b from the platform may be a unmentioned topic, it is pretty cool you put this stuff out there so others can get into this new idea of using the up b from the platform, i dont know if theres any safe use for it other than attempting to edgehog with style, or attempt to follow up to some sort of combo as seen in the video, since the startup time and vulnurability for firefox may not be useful as a retreating option, thought still plausable. i'd like to see what people can come up with using this idea instead of just using for style or trying to follow up decently safely

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
i think in general the concept may be something new, but this is just more of manipulating the "grab box" for grabbing the ledge because fox and falco's ledgegrab grab box always comes out about near the end and during the initial freefall animation. if the boxes are active and you are not holding directly downward, you will grab the ledge during the times where the grab box is active no matter what angle you take, and this concept has been used for the longest time. specifically the idea of doing the up b from the platform may be a unmentioned topic, it is pretty cool you put this stuff out there so others can get into this new idea of using the up b from the platform, i dont know if theres any safe use for it other than attempting to edgehog with style, or attempt to follow up to some sort of combo as seen in the video, since the startup time and vulnurability for firefox may not be useful as a retreating option, thought still plausable. i'd like to see what people can come up with using this idea instead of just using for style or trying to follow up decently safely
The grab box doesn't come out near the end, it's out the entire time Fox/Falco are traveling with their up-B as long as they're going below horizontal.

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
The grab box doesn't come out near the end, it's out the entire time Fox/Falco are traveling with their up-B as long as they're going below horizontal.
oh, i didn't know that, i was just thinking about what firefox does when going upwards or horizontally lol. my apologies. you learn something new about melee everyday.
Oh ok. So just for style then
i dont think the tech might be "just" for style, but rather dependant on certian situations that come out mid game. it certainly looks like a more convenient way to snap ledge unlike something like shine turnaround up-b. it could also be used for some sort of sakurai angle if the game calls for one as a follow up. im sure many people could find such a use for this.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
If you panic up b on stage it could be useful to grab ledge solely for the invincibility frames

SwissMagic

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0182-4834-2135
Really good with Falco I think, because it's a mix up, and you could edge guard with the hit box of fire bird for extra style.

If you panic up b on stage it could be useful to grab ledge solely for the invincibility frames
this is true

Last edited by a moderator:

Rococo

Smash Rookie
This is known tech, and I've seen it used a couple times in actual matches to combo (sometimes by accident). I'll let you know if I find any recordings.

Top Bottom