• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New fast technique

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
It's a fast technique since it's not advanced at all.
Today i discovered that you can start a dash in advance before falling.
For example: suppose I'm falling to the ground but before touching the ground (not necessarily EXACTLY before) I smash the analog to the right/left. This will make the character dash as soon as it touches the ground.
I don't know if you people already know this but even though it's not a vital technique it can be very useful since you don't have to be worried about dashing asap after touching the ground.
As i said, simply smash the analog when falling before touching the ground. It can be chained after an aerial too so imagine chaining (aerial -> autodashing + upsmash)
I hope this helped!

SpectreFlame

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the info. I just got the game yesterday and did not know about this yet. Autodashing is also a nice name for the technique. Have you tested this with all the characters or just a few?

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
This is just buffering. You can buffer just about any action in the game and it will come out on the first possible frame. Very useful.

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
Actually I don't own the game yet since I'm waiting for the American version. I just discovered this when i was at a friend's house with the Japanese version, so i can't really tell.
But even though i didn't try it with all the characters it worked with Falco, Fox, Olimar and Lucas so I'm sure that this will work with most of the characters if not with all of them.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
This is just buffering. You can buffer just about any action in the game and it will come out on the first possible frame. Very useful.
Well, that explains it XD. I though I was just going crazy, because my screen isn't laggy, yet actions come out not necessarily with my full consent (Spamming roll for instance).

Pretty useful though, once you get used to it.

KK321

Smash Rookie
Wow! I've been playing SSBB for since the Japanese release and haven't even notice this technique. It kinda like the wavedashing for brawl, kinda. Great find though.

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
Anyway, in order for this to work you must not be experiencing any move animation while reaching the floor so it should be tested thoroughly.
It won't work if you touch the floor while still doing a sex kick for example.

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
Wow! I've been playing SSBB for since the Japanese release and haven't even notice this technique. It kinda like the wavedashing for brawl, kinda. Great find though.
That is an interesting way to suggest it.

Because of the nature of online play, you cannot *actually* play in real time, since data has to take the time required to be sent between machines.

This kind of online play will change the technical dynamics of this game in a way that is seen in other PvP online games.

Certain characters will have moves that take advantage of lag. As this changes the game environment, you would do well to note characters that have lower delay aerials.

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
Right now it's impossible for me to really experiment with these moves. I don't know if they'll be occasional or not.
Considering lower delay aerials and performing almost any action, as said by mugwhump, it might be possible to perform some fancy moves. The return of Pillaring maybe? Who knows? I don't have Brawl to test this, what a pity. Not even character movements. I'm looking forward to acquiring my own Brawl.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Well, that explains it XD. I though I was just going crazy, because my screen isn't laggy, yet actions come out not necessarily with my full consent (Spamming roll for instance).

Pretty useful though, once you get used to it.
Yup. <3 buffering. Me am frame-perfect now. :bee:

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Okay, holy **** guys. I read this thread then went into training mode to test it out. I was pretty skeptical at first that it would be even interesting but now I'm totally psyched. I was screwing around with Diddy Kong the most, but here's the thing. Diddy's fair and bair can be short-hopped and finished before Diddy lands. Bear with me-- you can fair or bair, let the move FINISH, tap down QUICK to fastfall a tiny tiny distance and almost immediately after that tap over. This might seem kind of weird and tricky, my friend was having trouble grasping what in the hell I was doing, but I've got years of muscle memory from Melee shffl'ing to aid me so no problems here. What happens is Diddy does his aerial and then RIGHT when he hits the ground he's off to a dash again, a lot quicker than you would expect him to be. At first I was just fair/bair'ing then following up with a super-quick dash attack, which is pretty cool.

Anyway then I started experimenting with different follow ups-- fair/bair into quick dashing grab. Actually these things can be done with all of his aerials except for nair, but anyway. Then I started throwing in the jump-back-towards stuff and chaining running bairs with that stuff. You can sort of "chain" into tons of cool stuff-- dash attacks, grabs, upsmashes. You can even continue your quick-dash into a run and do whatever you want out of that. Another cool thing I found is to jump above a platform, you can do an aerial if you want, it doesn't matter as long as it finishes before you land, then fast-falling down to the platform immediately into buffered-dash and do whatever you want out of that.

Of course another fun application is just to use it to string together a bunch of quick aerials on the move.

Anyway this is some cool **** IMO, and man did thinking about this buffer stuff speed up my Diddy a LOT in just one play session. I'm done playing for today but I'm definitely gonna go tinker with this with some other characters tomorrow.

Edit: Okay so I played around a bit more and this is super useful to C.Falcon as well.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
One more semi-cool thing before bed. I was messing around with Marth's fairs and I think you can use this to help you chain together several of those on the ground. Basically you fair, fast fall into a buffered dash, then immediately hop into another fair, etc. Imagine a bunch of fairs with just the opening frames of the dash in between. I don't know how applicable things like this are in battle because I'm just messing around in training mode, but in instances like this it sort of gives your fair chain a BIT more speed and range over the ground, y'know?

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Hey, more uses for the universal buffer system. Good s*it OP, it's nice to hear of some legit techs.

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
I'm glad I could be of any help n n
I hope this will be a small part of something bigger. I know we have a long way and a more interesting Brawl just ahead!

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Holy crap. This buffered landing dash is so sweet. I CAN ACTUALLY FOLLOW UP ON HITS NOW. Speeds up the game quite a bit too, especially for characters whose b-airs end before landing. Nice find, and kudos to you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So I guess that means wavedashing is easier.

Wow, this looks really really big. Someone's got to put this on the Wiki and give you credit for it. Like now.

Top Bottom