• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

crazyjohn

Smash Rookie
I've just started playing melee, on a dolphin emulator. so far my favorite character is falcon and I want to get better as him, since i'm used to sm4sh I play really sloppily in melee. any tips?

Coyle

Smash Cadet
Since you’ve just started you shouldn’t really be focusing on too much Falcon-specific tech. You’ve got to learn more basic things like how to short hop, L-cancel, wavedash, etc. To a newcomer those will take a while to get down. A big part of Falcon is movement, so if you can’t move you can’t groove. Google the Melee Bible and read through that.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
As Coyle said focus on general melee specific tech first, and maybe some basic combos. Movement is in my opinion the first thing you should try to master with any character. It can be tempting to want to just combo bots especially with someone like falcon, but you'll never get to use his sick punish game if you don't focus on learning proper movement and how to handle neutral interactions properly.

Check out https://smashcords.com/melee/ if you use discord. I'd also recommend https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA as a good resource for newcomers to melee.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
GET THE TECH DOWN. this aspect of falcon cannot be stressed enough, because without the tech you will be a sitting duck for players with quick combos and good gamesense. Without l cancels, you will never be able to throw out aerials quick enough to even start a combo. As a falcon, your best bet for getting percent on is to chaingrab by downthrowing, techchasing, and grabbing again until you have decent percent on them and then upthrow into knee.

Last edited:

crazyjohn

Smash Rookie
thought I should let you guys know, since I don't have a gamecube controller, I use an xbox one controller plugged into my pc running the emulator. sounds pretty bad, I know, but I managed to get used to it.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
thought I should let you guys know, since I don't have a gamecube controller, I use an xbox one controller plugged into my pc running the emulator. sounds pretty bad, I know, but I managed to get used to it.
That's better than nothing since I guess you can still learn stuff. If you just wanna play on netplay casually that's probably fine, but if you have any competitive aspirations look into getting a gamecube controller and adapter.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
The tech spacing and much of the analog dependent tech are seriously impacted by Xbox gimbals. GameCube controllers are your only choice if you have any desire to play on a local level.

Top Bottom