• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Diddy

Velshoor

Smash Rookie
Hi! I started play Diddy Kong just yesterday, but I already love him, can you give me some tips and tricks? I can't find much videos on YouTube :/ and zero doesn't use him so much now :(

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
Hi! I started play Diddy Kong just yesterday, but I already love him, can you give me some tips and tricks? I can't find much videos on YouTube :/ and zero doesn't use him so much now :(
Some easy things to pull off include dthrow -> aerials. At 0% (or very low) you can get two bairs on most characters. At higher percents, you can chase where they DI for whichever aerial makes the most sense. You can also aerial out of uthrows.

Banana combos into anything you want if you're quick enough, even from the other side of the stage. You can banana -> fsmash all day if you want to.

Rocket barrels crashing on stage is a fun mix-up.

I have a Twitch channel with a ton of saved videos of Diddy gameplay, at Twitch.TV/MadisonDanielleTurner. My Diddy generally hovers around 30 to 40,000 gsp below the top, and I'm starting to place okay at locals. My playstyle is probably less technical than most; I don't do a lot of very complicated things, but everything I do is for a reason and I very rarely catch myself on autopilot. Take from it what you will!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:ultdiddy:'s main goal is getting a Banana set up, and follow up with a grab, pummel pummel pummel, D Throw, B Air string or a simple F Air to build damage, avoid the enemy's range in neutral and getting in with falling N Airs or Dash Attacks to send a foe in the air, and then barrage with either B Air strings at low % or F Air at higher %s to build damage. D Tilt is for playing footsies, F Tilt has utility to punish chasers without a Banana, U Smash is for under platforms or hitting airbone enemies who are in hitstun or don't have a good aerial hitbox to prevent it from hitting, and Banana > F Smash is for getting kills. You can catch them off guard any time with Rocket Barrel Explosion, and it's especially useful when a enemy throws out moves that have longer duration and leaving themselves open. Side B Kick is also for mix ups, and can be followed up early %s with even another Flip Kick, or a Dash Attack into F Air. U Air can also be used when a enemy DI's upward or predicts the F Air, or they are simply send up too high, but it's a weak move and can only KO from the top of Battle Field-like stages or other low ceilings. The only pro to that move is that it's fast, but you generally want to hit with every other aerial. D Air can also KO enemies from the floor at higher %s, and it's still possible to meteor people with it, but generally you don't want to take these risks. Monkey Flip Grab is useful against shields, and can KO near the ledges at high %, but think 140-160% range dependable on weight. It won't kill the super heavies, but lightweights don't like you having this KO option. ALSO! Shoot peanuts at your enemies at the ledge, it'll have them pop off, and you can intercept linear recoveries with it quite easily. It's also nice to do chip damage, and catch the enemy in hitstun, which might help you getting a grab, a dash attack, or a F Air.

So basically, :ultdiddy: is a light weight semi-grappler with great aerial strings, and good damage output, but you struggle to kill so you gotta be creative with it at times. And basically need to catch you enemy making mistakes. Patience is a key, but so is movement. You rarely rush down, and you also don't really want to because others who do are generally better in it than you, or can take the risks better. You shouldn't be predictable at all, and generally you want your enemy to feel confident, and then punish their confidence with monkey antics. A careful watchful foe is the most scary, and we don't like zoners because they force us into different tactics, playing more of a rushdown game. So mix ups are a thing frequently happening, and it makes it feel like you are almost playing a total different character.

DIDDYLOYALIST

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. Noobie here. I'm hoping to get some help with the dtilt combo. After dtilt, how do you close the gap to fsmash or usmash? There is a gap between me and the opponent after the dtilt. So how to I dash to get to him? Is it a simple dash then smash or is there something more complex to it? People tend to escape from me getting the smash on them. Button commands would help if anyone can.
Thank you in advance

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
Hi everyone. Noobie here. I'm hoping to get some help with the dtilt combo. After dtilt, how do you close the gap to fsmash or usmash? There is a gap between me and the opponent after the dtilt. So how to I dash to get to him? Is it a simple dash then smash or is there something more complex to it? People tend to escape from me getting the smash on them. Button commands would help if anyone can.
Thank you in advance
with the c stick set to tilt attacks, if i'm trying to do a dtilt kill confirm combo, I will c stick down tilt, then buffer a dash by holding the analogue stick. Usually I will go for upsmash but I havent tried fsmash. Just right when youre under the opponent press up and a, assuming your tap jump is off,

I personally much prefer banana to fsmash as a kill confirm than dtilt, since you have so much power over the opponent with a banana in hand

DIDDYLOYALIST

Smash Rookie
with the c stick set to tilt attacks, if i'm trying to do a dtilt kill confirm combo, I will c stick down tilt, then buffer a dash by holding the analogue stick. Usually I will go for upsmash but I havent tried fsmash. Just right when youre under the opponent press up and a, assuming your tap jump is off,

I personally much prefer banana to fsmash as a kill confirm than dtilt, since you have so much power over the opponent with a banana in hand
Thanks Tuck! Any advice for sword plants? How do diddy players keep sword figters in the air with up air if their down air is so strong. I'll do an up throw only to get killed by a sword plant before I can connect with my up air. Anyone else have advice for this, feel free to jump in.

Top Bottom