• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
So just for a quick change in topic. Do you guys think that PMBR is going to announce anything tonight?
I hope so. I'm really hoping for a Clone Engine announcement, but I'm not going to expect anything.

Still, Skull Kid was deconfirmed for Smash 4 a while back. Possibly long enough to have a beta of him by now...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I hope so. I'm really hoping for a Clone Engine announcement, but I'm not going to expect anything.

Still, Skull Kid was deconfirmed for Smash 4 a while back. Possibly long enough to have a beta of him by now...
Ehh...I mean I would be excited for any form of a character announcement. But honestly, I'm not all that hyped about this being supposedly Skull Kid. Still would much rather have someone like Vaati... Damn Brawl for its missed character opportunities...

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ehh...I mean I would be excited for any form of a character announcement. But honestly, I'm not all that hyped about this being supposedly Skull Kid. Still would much rather have someone like Vaati... Damn Brawl for its missed character opportunities...
I'd rather have Vaati, too, but Skull Kid would be a damn good consolation prize.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'd rather have Vaati, too, but Skull Kid would be a damn good consolation prize.
I suppose so. I mean don't get me wrong. I love Majora's Mask. I just never really cared much for Skull Kid is all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I sure hope it's something. But it's been quite the fun ride, all the same.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
By the way, who said we're getting a CE character reveal? All I remember was that the PMBR would post a longer video further explaining All Star Versus mode.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Welp. I've decided to just leave this thread. Seems like half the time Shin and Co. disagree with something the entire thread just becomes acidic, and I dont feel like dealing with it anymore :/

It was fun while it lasted though, keep coming up with the good movesets guys.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Like I've said, the PMBR is way too smart to give us any hints towards a characer this early in announcements. The mysterious 47 is all we're getting for now, and man has it driven us batty.

Stupid sexy PMBR.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I would love the next announcement to be a Zelda character. I personally would prefer Vaati, but Skull Kid is tied with Ravio and Ghirahim for second choice and he sounds fantastic.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
I'm sure this has occurred to a lot of you guys before, but its incredible to just stop and think about how awesome it will be to have even one new character. Even if its one you haven't heard of, a lot of us have been playing this game for a while now, and suddenly there's someone who has never been, and probably will never again be in a Smash game. I was incredibly pumped for Mewtwo and Roy, but this will be another level of hype.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm sure this has occurred to a lot of you guys before, but its incredible to just stop and think about how awesome it will be to have even one new character. Even if its one you haven't heard of, a lot of us have been playing this game for a while now, and suddenly there's someone who has never been, and probably will never again be in a Smash game. I was incredibly pumped for Mewtwo and Roy, but this will be another level of hype.
I feel you, bro, especially since this is going to be a roster specifically chosen and built by Smash fans.

It's going to be the hypest ****. I almost feel bad that fans of other fighters don't get this kind of opportunity.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Dude... Sakurai made a moveset for the freaking Wii Fit Trainer. If someone like that can have unique moveset potential, any character can have unique moveset potential. Moveset potential means nothing because every character already has it equally.
I'm just going to add on to Shin F's post. I've been saying this over and over again, but I can't stress it enough.

MISCONCEPTION: "Potential moveset is the most important thing."

No, it is not, lest you forget the very core and foundation of the game you are playing on. This game brings in popular characters from major (and maybe not so major) Nintendo franchises and lets them hammer each other in a fighting game. That is Super Smash Bros by definition. The moveset comes after the character. And with a little creativity and magic, the moveset should (will) work. You also generally cannot predict the moveset, so you should not be voting for characters based on that. Either way, you should also assume that PM will make the character fun (or else why waste the time), which is why you should only be voting for the character itself.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm just going to add on to Shin F's post. I've been saying this over and over again, but I can't stress it enough.

No, it is not, lest you forget the very core and foundation of the game you are playing on. This game brings in popular characters from major (and maybe not so major) Nintendo franchises and lets them hammer each other in a fighting game. That is Super Smash Bros by definition. The moveset comes after the character. And with a little creativity and magic, the moveset should (will) work. You also generally cannot predict the moveset, so you should not be voting for characters based on that. Either way, you should also assume that PM will make the character fun (or else why waste the time), which is why you should only be voting for the character itself.
This.

I'm pretty tired of "X shouldn't be in, they'd just be a heavier/slower/faster/lighter/spammier Y".

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
+1 Majora's Mask Moon

The stage control will be glorious. Every time he takes an enemy stock he shall shed a tear, not due to reluctance, but because Nickelodeon cancelled Rugrats.

And dammit, he loved Rugrats.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

I'm curious though clone thread. Let's say we fast forward to 20XX and this is your official Project M roster:

NOTE:

Red = Already using clone engine spots
Green = Newcomers
Yellow = Pick one of the two colored in a yellow box. (No actually, who would you pick between the two and why? Shoot, I'd love both but I'm not greedy... :p)

Would there be any big disappointments?

I got bored and indulged in the devilry known as the Smash Roster Creator for the nth time. Lyn can go in Takamaru's place and vice versa, but I kinda like Taka over Lyn only because he'd bring kooky projectiles and iaido/sword draw fighting style while also representing a franchise that should already be highlighted in Smash imo. The history is pretty well documented with Takamaru's game "The Mystery of Murasame Castle" being to Zelda what Kid Icarus is to Metroid. It's also a neat early Miyamoto title. Then again Lyndis is the character most poised to take on the "nimble samurai" reign, is pretty decently recognizable thanks to her AT status in Brawl/Smash 4 and as a female will always have a diversity to add to the roster since Smash really does lack in that department. Lip is because puzzle game mechanics (specifically targeted position trolling) in a fighter like this sounds hilarious and very inventive. Check out the Create A Smash move set listed here and see Lightdasher's animated specials:

Up B
Side B 1 2 3
Down B 2
Neutral B

Saki is there because gun kata + beam saber + his AT already looks like a goddamned combatant of the highest calibur + Sin & Punishment is a great (though niche) title and rosters full of the big mainstream guys can be better contrasted by the cool but underground kids. Sami is there because Advance Wars, cool soldier chick (real talk, most Nintendo female characters eligible for Smash are BORING for always falling into the archetype of being damsels; Give me a rough and tumble tomboy fighter already both in personality and in combat design) and for also adding one more Nintendo franchise that should have been in the roster since forever ago. The rest are the two universals in Isaac and Ridley.

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Not a MAJOR disapointment, but yes, I'd be a bit disapointed. I'd really like another Zelda character (Skull Kid), another Mother rep (Pokey), an Animal Crossing rep (Tom Nook), and after I've given it a bit more thought, I even want Pichu and Red to complete the Melee and Brawl casts. I never expected to have all of those, but to not have ANY of the five is kind of saddening.

Also, I figure I should do this here:

I've already given out my 5 main votes, but +.5 to Red and Pichu for the reason listed above.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My only disappointment with that is lack of Skull Kid (Vaati would also be a good consolation prize, but Skull Kid's just got a flavor others would lack to me.)

However, Takamaru would make my day. Since he was one of my #1 wants for SSB4 that seems to be missing the boat, it'd be awesome. Though I can say the same for K. Rool and Ridley, both of which I'd prefer in PM before Taka.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
to be honest i don't like skull kid or majora's mask that much, but i can just SMELL that he's an obvious shoe in.

(majora's mask just creeps me out. don't hate me.)

so... what became of that "leaked" Sami Model?
just out of curiosity, and my general slowpoking.

also, in the hypothetical scenario of "she's a P:M character", while it'd make more sense for Andy to be in, I -Kind- of prefer the idea of Sami. Andy just kind of seems like he's too "support" based, while Sami's infantry focus works on a Snake-clone structure. Her artwork seems to imply she's more hands-on as well. And it's not like she's not unknown - she's notorious for those 1 turn base captures, especially when paired with Hawk(?) in Dual Strike.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Haha. Unfortunately for yall h8ers, I'll be reppin' Pokey until there are no spots left.
Respect.

I love Porky. He just seems like he would be hard to clone, as in he lacks a relatable base character.

Also, I just prefer Ninten and Masked Man as reps. But that's just me!
to be honest i don't like skull kid or majora's mask that much, but i can just SMELL that he's an obvious shoe in.

(majora's mask just creeps me out. don't hate me.)

so... what became of that "leaked" Sami Model?
just out of curiosity, and my general slowpoking.

also, in the hypothetical scenario of "she's a P:M character", while it'd make more sense for Andy to be in, I -Kind- of prefer the idea of Sami. Andy just kind of seems like he's too "support" based, while Sami's infantry focus works on a Snake-clone structure. Her artwork seems to imply she's more hands-on as well. And it's not like she's not unknown - she's notorious for those 1 turn base captures, especially when paired with Hawk(?) in Dual Strike.
Who knows about that Sami model? To be honest, it just didn't look like a Brawl model. At all. The only situation I can imagine in which that would be real is one where the PMBR makes place holders that are better quality than their final model...

So those aren't real.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
That roster would be perfect, please confirm lip already my soul is empty.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I think I'll go ahead and drop some negvote bombs. I shouldn't be making a big deal out of it since I mean, I don't have any more power than anyone else, but I know a few of my opinions are unpopular. I do this with the utmost respect and with the intention of a great roster representative of Nintendo in the most sensible, balanced, and over all fun way-- I don't mean to slap anyone in the face.

-1 toad
-1 Bowser Jr.
-1 Paper Mario

;While any character has creative potential, I feel these three can only be chalked up to "cute ideas" and don't have the weight to stand aside the rest of the roster as bonafide, fully fleshed-out smash fighters. All of them seem to not have the potential beyond assist trophies (or in toad's case, an attack). Also I get the feeling Bowser being a little turtle would step on squirtle's toes what with a bunch of obligatory shell attacks.

-1 Tetra

;She's a charming character but she strikes me overall as an afterthought from only one of the Zelda installments and doesn't merit a square in the roster. Part of me can get into the idea of Toon Link having another "toon" counterpart but ultimately I find it wholly unnecessary. TL can remain by his toony self.

-1 Samurai Goroh

;While I do think F-Zero needs at least one more representative fighter, I think Black Shadow trumps this guy as a candidate and I don't think it's a popular enough franchise to need three reps. BS is the antagonist, after all. Goroh's been shown to be nothing but a dude with a katana. I must admit that I'm negging this guy mainly so he doesn't get in the way of Black Shadow as a potential character. If that is against the rules this negative vote can be nixed.

-1 Ridley

;For a long time I've been wanting to say this, but this gigantic, mindless, squabbling vulture lizard does not belong in Smash Brothers beyond being some sort of annoying background stage gimmick. I know he's the classic monster in Metroid. If he were a bit smaller, humanlike perhaps, and more sentient and conscious, like a "villain" should be, I could understand. But I think Dark Samus is going to be more appropriate as a Samus villain and runner-up Metroid representative.

-1 Masked Man
-1 Ninten

;This is another case of avoiding oversaturation of what can statistically be proven to be an obscure franchise despite its underground popularity. Peripheral issues like Ninten looking identical to Ness and Claus being a playable spoiler aside, I gotta tell you how often I heard people like, "Who is this new blonde Ness kid in Brawl?" with the game's release. Not that people didn't wind up loving him, but I just think any more would be a stretch. Mother/Earthbound has been sufficiently represented with what we have now.

-1 Lyn
-1 Hector

;Honestly negging these two is a bummer to me because I really like the uniqueness of Hector being an axefighter and of course Lyn being a swordswoman, since neither of these concepts are in the roster yet. But the fact is we already have three Fire Emblem characters that are not going to be replaced, and four or five is too many in my opinion, and I want to keep the FE-repping crew in the fair state it's in now. If it were up to me, I'd just tweak Ike into Hector as the heavy hitter and replace Roy with Lyn so we'd have a trio of color and variety, doing the Fire Emblem saga justice while avoiding redundancy and oversaturation.

I have a few more I will add via editing, thanks and sorry moddies!

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Forgot to say my 2nd most important "opinion"

-1 to ganondorf+black shadow
The reason is exactly what was written in the main post, dont know if this is accepted. Which id why Ive never liked those ganondorf mods, ofcourse I respect their work but Id never like it.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I think I'll go ahead and drop some negvote bombs. I shouldn't be making a big deal out of it since I mean, I don't have any more power than anyone else, but I know a few of my opinions are unpopular. I do this with the utmost respect and with the intention of a great roster representative of Nintendo in the most sensible, balanced, and over all fun way-- I don't mean to slap anyone in the face.

-1 toad
-1 Bowser Jr.
-1 Paper Mario

;While any character has creative potential, I feel these three can only be chalked up to "cute ideas" and don't have the weight to stand aside the rest of the roster as bonafide, fully fleshed-out smash fighters. All of them seem to not have the potential beyond assist trophies (or in toad's case, an attack). Also I get the feeling Bowser being a little turtle would step on squirtle's toes what with a bunch of obligatory shell attacks.

-1 Tetra

;She's a charming character but she strikes me overall as an afterthought from only one of the Zelda installments and doesn't merit a square in the roster. Part of me can get into the idea of Toon Link having another "toon" counterpart but ultimately I find it wholly unnecessary. TL can remain by his toony self.

-1 Samurai Goroh

;While I do think F-Zero needs at least one more representative fighter, I think Black Shadow trumps this guy as a candidate and I don't think it's a popular enough franchise to need three reps. BS is the antagonist, after all. Goroh's been shown to be nothing but a dude with a katana. I must admit that I'm negging this guy mainly so he doesn't get in the way of Black Shadow as a potential character. If that is against the rules this negative vote can be nixed.

-1 Ridley

;For a long time I've been wanting to say this, but this gigantic, mindless, squabbling vulture lizard does not belong in Smash Brothers beyond being some sort of annoying background stage gimmick. I know he's the classic monster in Metroid. If he were a bit smaller, humanlike perhaps, and more sentient and conscious, like a "villain" should be, I could understand. But I think Dark Samus is going to be more appropriate as a Samus villain and runner-up Metroid representative.

-1 Masked Man
-1 Ninten

;This is another case of avoiding oversaturation of what can statistically be proven as an obscure franchise despite its underground popularity. Peripheral issues like Ninten looking identical to Ness and Claus being a playable spoiler aside, I gotta tell you how often I heard people like, "Who is this new blonde Ness kid in Brawl?" with the game's release. Not that people didn't wind up loving him, but I just think any more would be a stretch. Mother/Earthbound has been sufficiently represented with what we have now.

-1 Lyn
-1 Hector

;Honestly negging these two is a bummer to me because I really like the uniqueness of Hector being an axefighter and of course Lyn being a swordswoman, since neither of these concepts are in the roster yet. But the fact is we already have three Fire Emblem characters that are not going to be replaced, and four or five is too many in my opinion, and I want to keep the FE-repping crew in the fair state it's in now. If it were up to me, I'd just tweak Ike into Hector as the heavy hitter and replace Roy with Lyn so we'd have a trio of color and variety, doing the Fire Emblem saga justice while avoiding redundancy and oversaturation.

I have a few more I will add via editing, thanks and sorry moddies!

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
-1 toad
-1 Bowser Jr.
-1 Paper Mario
-1 Tetra
totally understandable

-1 Samurai Goroh
yeah, not really attracted to the idea myself

-1 Ridley
indifferent, but i kind of sit on the opposite side of this one

-1 Masked Man
-1 Ninten
kind of against, but then again you can only do so much with earthbound characters, especially since lucas and ness's movesets are technically cut and paste from every other character in their games.

-1 Lyn
-1 Hector
i can see your point, but one of the things people really, REALLY like about fire emblem are the characters. I think this and the newfound popularity it has pushes the fact that it's -perhaps- deserving of an extra clone engine slot.

if you haven't guessed, I just really want to see what they can do with Lyndis. Not so much Hector, as I feel he would just translate into an Ike 2.0, but it's also kind of dampening that he's canonically dead. (Lyn's fate is at least ambiguous....)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Andy just kind of seems like he's too "support" based, while Sami's infantry focus works on a Snake-clone structure.
See, the problem with this argument is that Ness and Lucas were 'support' based characters as well, but they worked just fine because they're able to borrow moves from their allies. It could easily work the same way with Andy and Sami. I mean, is there anything Sami could do that Andy is just physically incapable of learning from her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom