• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New character concept: Grappler

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Before anyone says, "A grappling character isn't a new concept. Characters like Mario and Ness are grapplers." Except, this isn't what I mean. I took notice of a thread recently regarding interest in what other type of melee weapon one would like to see next. It made me wonder about the options available for future characters. You have brawlers, gunners, and swordfighters. What else could be covered? That's when the concept of grapplers entered my mind. I'm not quite sure who would be a grappler in the sense I'm thinking of. A grappler wouldn't be limited to grapples only, but their moves might require several types of command grabs, and they might mainly perform grabs.

As far as I'm aware, Ganondorf has the most command grabs. He only has two, but that's more than what any other character has from what I'm aware of. These are Dark Dive and Flame Choke. Flame Choke can lead to tech-chasing, and perhaps a grappler could have this as part of his or her moveset. While I was thinking about this concept, I thought how interesting it would be to have a command grab that could lead into something like Marth's Dancing Blade. In other words, the opponent is still grappled, but any input involving A or B and up, forward, backward, or down could perform different types of moves.

While I'm not certain as to what kind of character would take on the role of a grappler within a first-party, perhaps others might have an idea. I could see Donkey Kong taking on this concept, but he might require different specials. I doubt many Donkey Kong fans would like that kind of change. So what are your thoughts?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Other than Mii Mage, this concept would be fun to see as well. Not sure if this is necessarily a character support thread, but I support nonetheless.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Other than Mii Mage, this concept would be fun to see as well. Not sure if this is necessarily a character support thread, but I support nonetheless.
It's not a support thread. It's a thread about a new concept for characters. The only reason why I even put "Mii Grappler" in the title was because Miis seem to come off as a base for what every non-Mii character is supposed to be. Mario is a brawler, Marth is a swordfighter, Samus is a gunner. Who would be a grappler in the sense that I'm referring to? As for mage, I don't know how that would be unique or separable from characters who may be brawlers, swordfighters, or gunners.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Heracross from Pokemon. It's regular attacks, using its horn, could command grab with a special, very strictly timed button imput.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
A wrestler would almost definitely employ grapples greatly, right? Perhaps a character from Pro Wrestling on the Famicom would work. The Amazon and Star Man are decidedly the most visually impressive (perhaps they could even work with one as an echo of the other?).

Crystanium

Smash Hero
A wrestler would almost definitely employ grapples greatly, right? Perhaps a character from Pro Wrestling on the Famicom would work. The Amazon and Star Man are decidedly the most visually impressive (perhaps they could even work with one as an echo of the other?).
Yeah, a wrestler would fit the role just fine. I didn't go with "wrestler" for the term, simply because there are other forms of combat besides wrestling that utilize grappling.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's not a support thread. It's a thread about a new concept for characters. The only reason why I even put "Mii Grappler" in the title was because Miis seem to come off as a base for what every non-Mii character is supposed to be. Mario is a brawler, Marth is a swordfighter, Samus is a gunner. Who would be a grappler in the sense that I'm referring to? As for mage, I don't know how that would be unique or separable from characters who may be brawlers, swordfighters, or gunners.
Oof, you're right. My mistake. Anyway, let's see. When I think of grapplers, I definitely think of someone wrestler-like. Zangief first comes to mind, but he isn't first-party. There's Machamp from Pokemon, but I honestly don't see him having a remote chance of getting in. The only suitable one I could think of is Incineroar, which, in light of recent speculation, has a decent shot. Sorry for being daft, but I don't understand your last sentence. I might be overthinking it a little, but... Are you saying that mages aren't unique or distinctive when compared to brawler/swordfighter/gunner characters? The wording confuses me a bit.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Oof, you're right. My mistake. Anyway, let's see. When I think of grapplers, I definitely think of someone wrestler-like. Zangief first comes to mind, but he isn't first-party. There's Machamp from Pokemon, but I honestly don't see him having a remote chance of getting in. The only suitable one I could think of is Incineroar, which, in light of recent speculation, has a decent shot. Sorry for being daft, but I don't understand your last sentence. I might be overthinking it a little, but... Are you saying that mages aren't unique or distinctive when compared to brawler/swordfighter/gunner characters? The wording confuses me a bit.
Incineroar could work if that's how it plays. With regard to mages, I'd imagine magic attacks that are treated as projectiles would fall under the gunner category, whereas a weapon like the levin sword that Robin wields would be fit for a swordfighter.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Incineroar could work if that's how it plays. With regard to mages, I'd imagine magic attacks that are treated as projectiles would fall under the gunner category, whereas a weapon like the levin sword that Robin wields would be fit for a swordfighter.
Oh, I understand now. Thank you. You do have a point there. If anything, Mii Mage should fall under a subcategory, under Mii Gunner. Then again, there could be an MP limit, like how Robin has his durability limit. But instead of having to wait for their MP to recharge automatically, they could have the option of manually charging it themselves. Kind of like Limit Break, in a way. That alone should differentiate the two, right?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Oh, I understand now. Thank you. You do have a point there. If anything, Mii Mage should fall under a subcategory, under Mii Gunner. Then again, there could be an MP limit, like how Robin has his durability limit. But instead of having to wait for their MP to recharge automatically, they could have the option of manually charging it themselves. Kind of like Limit Break, in a way. That alone should differentiate the two, right?
You're welcome. I could see it working as a sub-category as you have said. It'd be interesting to see, and if Robin remained as a playable character, he could definitely be the predecessor to future mage characters.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You're welcome. I could see it working as a sub-category as you have said. It'd be interesting to see, and if Robin remained as a playable character, he could definitely be the predecessor to future mage characters.
Eh, no. Mii Wizard definitely needs its own moveset.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
This is a pretty cool idea. I especially like the idea of Heracross from Pokemon or Bugzzy from Kirby.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
So, no one actually read what I wrote.
Lol. I just read it and actually that's a pretty cool idea for a move. That would work well for bowsers side b. Firstly I Wana say that his brawl side b is much better than his current one, though maybe both concepts could be incorporated. Give him his brawl side b, but when pressing up he can execute his current attack. Then he can also be given a down version.

Now as for your idea, maybe by pressing a direction+the a or b button, he can execute a grappling combo as you explained in your idea, and then end the combo with a forwaed, back, up or down throw.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Perhaps our grappler can have some odd throws, like strapping the enemy to a rocket to be carried offscreen, deliberately shoving them into the nearest stage hazard, handing them off to a dragon to be carried offscreen, or just stomping on their face over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
What exactly does a grappler entail?
Just a character that grabs a lot? Has command grabs? Has grabs that lead into other grabs?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What exactly does a grappler entail?
Just a character that grabs a lot? Has command grabs? Has grabs that lead into other grabs?
A character who not only has command grabs, but command grabs that can execute different options. Think Zangief.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Mallo from Pushmo maybe? Though he seems more based on Sump Wrestlers, who don't really grapple.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, a wrestler would fit the role just fine. I didn't go with "wrestler" for the term, simply because there are other forms of combat besides wrestling that utilize grappling.
Adding to that, it should be worth mentioning that Star Man and The Amazon actually differ in terms of some attacks in Pro Wrestling. The Amazon, in particular, is a blatant cheater. He stabs people with a fork, and even bites them. The more stylish and virtuous Star Man, does not. At most, one of these characters would be a semi-Echo.

If Chunky Kong ever gets included, one way to differentiate him from Donkey Kong would be by having him use command grabs for some of his attacks, to emphasize how much stronger he is than DK.

Top Bottom