• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New bomb tricks for Toon Link!

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
I don't know if this is already known or used, but here it is anyway.

momo1487 actually found the basic premise of this a while back (smashboards won't let me link it, but it's on the first page), but while I was practicing with SHAGing and shorthop > throw > wavedash, I accidentally discovered that this is a lot more versatile. The basic premise is that with the shorter bomb throw lengths in 3.5, your bomb stays closer to you and you can mess with it more.

I found four options out of a shorthop bomb throw: AGT (forward), wavedash regrab (forward), wavedash WITHOUT regrab (any direction), and even a bomb punt. The former two require you to spend at least one frame starting a dash before the shorthop, but the other two can be done from a standing position, which means they can be done out of shield. They would rarely be ideal oos options, but maybe you could take advantage of a gap in projectile pressure to get off a bomb punt.

These are mostly self-explanatory, but there are a few details.
First, the airdodge for AGT must be pointed forward to some degree to catch the bomb.
Second, to bomb punt, you must airdodge > attack; for some reason, pressing the grab button attacks instead of zairs.
Third, the last two options require you to be a little farther away from the bomb or you'll just grab it with the airdodge. Thus, to do these out of a running shorthop, you must tap backwards as you throw the bomb in order to reduce your forward momentum.
Also, note that you can also airdodge forward (regrab) > zair, but I didn't include that in the above list because the frame window is really tight and it doesn't come out all the way. It's basically the same as bomb punt, but with the attack button delayed after the airdodge.

I've been calling it skipping because the wonky movement of Tink reminds me of a stone skipping across the water.

The utility of the first three variations mostly amounts to having the extra coverage of a bomb in front of you as you move forward. You can skip dash (wavedash regrab) forward with the threat of switching to a skip AGT if your opponent comes within range or simply skip drop (wavedash without regrab) to let the bomb explode in front of you without actually hitting you, even with a wavedash forward. Skipping also lets you add forward momentum to a bomb punt, giving you access to the extended range and altered trajectory without forcing you to stand still and set it up.

However, the frame window for the skip punt is pretty tight, especially from a stationary short hop. I couldnt bring myself to do all of the frame testing for a running shorthop because holding back added one too many variables, but I do know that you should wait a couple of frames after jumping before throwing the bomb, and you should hold back for as few frames as possible. I did get the frames for a stationary skip punt, though.

Toon Link's jumpsquat is 3 frames, a bomb throw lasts 20 frames, the zair hitbox comes out on frame 11 and takes a few frames to move forward from there, and a shorthop without a fastfall will have Tink landing on frame 30. Thus:

If the bomb is thrown on frame 1 of the jump, you will have a window of only 1 frame to input zair as soon as your throw ends.
If the bomb is thrown on frames 2 or 3 of the jump, that window extends to 2 frames because the bomb is released closer to the apex of your jump and takes longer to hit the ground.
However, if the bomb is thrown on frame 4 or later, you will land and cancel your zair before it hits the bomb at all.

The window for the throw becomes more lenient out of a running shorthop, but the window for the zair is still precise.

Skip AGT and skip punt have fullhop variants too, but you have to wait until you reach the apex of your jump; otherwise, you'll rise above the bomb after you throw it.

So the inputs are
Skip AGT: running shorthop > forward throw > airdodge up or forward up (regrab) > throw
Skip dash: running shorthop > forward throw > wavedash forward (regrab)
Skip drop: [running] shorthop > forward throw > [back >] wavedash
Skip punt: [running] shorthop > forward throw > [back >] airdodge forward > zair

I find that these all mix together pretty well. You can skip AGT forward up to skip zair in the same jump, and it looks pretty awesome.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm not sure what this is supposed to look like honestly so I can't say if it's new or old.

Any chance of a video? Even one taken with a potato could help.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Okay, okay. So. I guess I might call this new tech, however applying it is probably a way different story. The two things I saw from that video that are probably most useful are the bomb punt because of the extra distance the bomb gets, and when you AGT'd upward twice to show off recovery stuff. You're the only person, other than myself, I've seen do that. The difference between us though is that you made it look easy.

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
I only made it look easy because I cut out the many many many times I screwed up, but I imagine if multishines and Hax Dashing is humanly possible, this could be implemented to some extent. It's situational, for sure.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Idk how well known it is, but regarding bomb tricks, DVD showed me that while hanging on ledge, it's possible to fall off ledge>double jump>bomb pull> and regrab ledge.

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
I noticed that too. I meant to put it on the video, but I forgot. I'm not sure how useful it is since it looks like it leaves you wide open to a stage spike or meteor, though.

Shrug

Smash Cadet
I've found that it's actually decently safe if you avoid getting predictable with it. If they try to challenge you, you can sometimes just throw the bomb at them and regrab the ledge. It's not airtight, but it's safe enough to use sometimes. I feel like Toon Link on the ledge with a bomb is pretty nice. The bomb makes your opponent need to respect you a bit more.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I've become a fan of hanging on ledge, drop, DJ, throw bomb up, upB, since if you hit the bomb with the sour spot, it's basically a bomb punt that hits it on stage.

Top Bottom