• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NEW AT VIDEO] Getting our hands on Smash4 build/demo [...]

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
What are your Marth impressions. I know he got nerfed but in your most recent video, Marth was used quite well.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Thanks for the upload, man. I've been curious about how pivoting works in this game. It seems like sliding ground animations in this game keep you in neutral.

Did you guys experiment with any other tilts or jabs? It seems like it would be possible to have a lot of ground options out of this.
What we recorded is what we tested, I asked Nintendo to have a chance again with the game but it looks like we'll have to wait for the release :S.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Thanks for the upload, man. I've been curious about how pivoting works in this game. It seems like sliding ground animations in this game keep you in neutral.

Did you guys experiment with any other tilts or jabs? It seems like it would be possible to have a lot of ground options out of this.
I tested this out a lot when I played the demo; I just called it the new pivot tech. You can do more or less anything you want out of a dash, but for some reason, every attempt I made to do smashes with the control stick turned into tilts which was useful in a way since it made turn around quickly ftilt possible. I could still smash with the c-stick though, but I don't know how this is going to affect the 3DS version and its lack of c-stick or if you can smash out of dash without the c-stick but it's just really hard. Do note it turns you around to do the pivot, and while the inputs to ftilt, fsmash, or side special can turn you back around, if you go for jab, utilt, down tilt, down smash, neutral special, or down special (I didn't test down special or utilt explicitly but did do the other four and confirmed they worked), you're going to do it facing away from the direction you were originally running (for some dsmashes and dspecials is this fine, of course). Of course, we don't need to worry about usmash or up special since you could do those direclty out of dash anyway.

I'm not entirely sure if this will be in the final game; this is a really, really powerful mechanic that seems like it was maybe not intentional. It will be a very important AT if it is though.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
What are your Marth impressions. I know he got nerfed but in your most recent video, Marth was used quite well.
Yeah some attacks are different, doesn't necessarily mean Marth sucks.

Personally I didn't mind Marth, I even liked him; he's not that aweful after all.

Maybe players viewed the change a little too drastically.

I tested this out a lot when I played the demo; I just called it the new pivot tech. You can do more or less anything you want out of a dash, but for some reason, every attempt I made to do smashes with the control stick turned into tilts which was useful in a way since it made turn around quickly ftilt possible. I could still smash with the c-stick though, but I don't know how this is going to affect the 3DS version and its lack of c-stick or if you can smash out of dash without the c-stick but it's just really hard. Do note it turns you around to do the pivot, and while the inputs to ftilt, fsmash, or side special can turn you back around, if you go for jab, utilt, down tilt, down smash, neutral special, or down special (I didn't test down special or utilt explicitly but did do the other four and confirmed they worked), you're going to do it facing away from the direction you were originally running (for some dsmashes and dspecials is this fine, of course). Of course, we don't need to worry about usmash or up special since you could do those direclty out of dash anyway.

I'm not entirely sure if this will be in the final game; this is a really, really powerful mechanic that seems like it was maybe not intentional. It will be a very important AT if it is though.
Thanks for the info. Also, it is possible to do pivot smashes on the 3DS version, as VG Bootcamp illustrated Mario's moves in a video of him doing a sliding pivot charged F- smash. Fox can also do it very well from what I've seen.

This tech has some amazing utility, nearly similar to a wavedash.

ferioku

Smash Ace
A question I forgot to ask skull. What do you think of this game in a competitive standpoint?

Also do you think it will draw more players in or be shunned like brawl was?

I'm slightly worried because half of the community is bashing the game and I'm hoping it excels competitively

Padô

Smash Lord
How come this new video didn't get enough buzz? god this is amazing, can't wait to test it out and/or find more stuff around it.

Great work, Skull_kid

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
That Marth play was excellent but man this wait sucks. It feels like everyone and their mom has played it already heh.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
That Marth play was excellent but man this wait sucks. It feels like everyone and their mom has played it already heh.
If only we didn't lose the 2 best 1v1s I could've showed off my Marth and ZSS in Smash4!

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
A question I forgot to ask skull. What do you think of this game in a competitive standpoint?

Also do you think it will draw more players in or be shunned like brawl was?

I'm slightly worried because half of the community is bashing the game and I'm hoping it excels competitively
I think it has a future, but it also depends on how the players will receive it. I am quite sure here it Italy it will be something huge, we are currently working on a plan with Nintendo it self to make it big news here (we have a great relationship with Nintendo). For other countries? i don't know, I really hope people wont just dismiss it cause it's not Melee and look it as it should be looked at: a different game, not a sequel.

Maybe I should open a thread explaining what we're doing with Nintendo and why, or at least explain what i suggested them to do...who knows, maybe it'll help someone else. I'm not really sure I can talk about future plans yet as they aren't official and they probably want to keep'em secret 'til the end of summer.

ferioku

Smash Ace
I think it has a future, but it also depends on how the players will receive it. I am quite sure here it Italy it will be something huge, we are currently working on a plan with Nintendo it self to make it big news here (we have a great relationship with Nintendo). For other countries? i don't know, I really hope people wont just dismiss it cause it's not Melee and look it as it should be looked at: a different game, not a sequel.

Maybe I should open a thread explaining what we're doing with Nintendo and why, or at least explain what i suggested them to do...who knows, maybe it'll help someone else. I'm not really sure I can talk about future plans yet as they aren't official and they probably want to keep'em secret 'til the end of summer.
Well i guess only time can tell, the 3ds version has 3 months left till release =/,,,

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Amazing. I think some people spend too much time comparing Smash 4 to all the previous games, which results in negative impressions. It looks like this game has awesome competitive potential, but few people can look past Brawl 2.0 and Melee 2.0 to see Smash 4 for what it really is: Smash 4. Can't wait to finally get my hands on this game.
I'm excited too, and I also think this game has great potential. It doesn't have to be Melee to have an interesting metagame. Melee showed one way Smash could really be a serious fighting game; maybe Smash 4 will offer another take on that. I don't see why not so far.

Sorry, but I don't know I could tell from the videos, but can you make use of this double pivot to do a forward tilt out of a dash in the direction you were running? My understanding is that normal Jump Cancelling doesn't allow you to use a tilt, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's possible and there's not already another AT that allows something similar I could see this being useful for characters whose ftilts are much better than their dash attacks? One example I can think of is Lucario whose dash attack feels very punishable, but his ftilt seems to be a much more reliable attack.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Sorry, but I don't know I could tell from the videos, but can you make use of this double pivot to do a forward tilt out of a dash in the direction you were running? My understanding is that normal Jump Cancelling doesn't allow you to use a tilt, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's possible and there's not already another AT that allows something similar I could see this being useful for characters whose ftilts are much better than their dash attacks? One example I can think of is Lucario whose dash attack feels very punishable, but his ftilt seems to be a much more reliable attack.
Yeah, you can do exactly that, but you don't even really go into the second turn-around animation. As you are doing the turn-around, just slam the stick back in the direction you were originally going and hit "A". You'll just ftilt in the direction you were originally running; you have to be quick, but it's really not that hard. You'd think this would f-smash, but every time I did it, I got ftilt (using c-stick you can get fsmash in that direction if you want to run up fsmash, a non-trivially useful option, and using "B" instead of "A" can get you side special in that direction as well which is also pretty great for select characters). That's why I'm a bit confused by the claim that 3DS can do running smashes like this; I truly just have no idea what they're inputting to do that. Then again, maybe if I had more than a half an hour of playtime, I'd be able to figure it out?

I don't want to get invested in this tech though. Brawl's demo had a strange bug in which you situationlly had zero landing lag from aerials; it was fixed in the final version. This pivot tech may very well be an analagous bug so I'm going to wait until I have the final game in my hands to get too excited by what can be done with it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah, as interesting and promising as this all is, we know for a fact that this build is at least somewhat outdated, so I'll avoid diving into any AT's until the official product is in our hands.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for not using a tripod, not providing a good angle and recording behind that dude's back.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Thank you for not using a tripod, not providing a good angle and recording behind that dude's back.
Next time before making any assumptions and act like an a** you should try to ask why things were done the way they were done:

Regulations for the recording of the videos were strict. We weren't allowed to film the TV without an angle and a person needed to be in front of the screen at all times, sure we managed to convince the staff guy to let it slip a couple of times but we were watched constantly as we recorded.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
That Marth play really gives me some hope now. You played really well.

I guess one of the main reasons we're freaking out is that most of us only played for a really short period of time. All those changes really hit us fast. That and because Ken didn't play so well during the invitational.

That Marth looked like it knew what it was doing though. That Double F-air that connected Pikachu towards the middle of the video was beautiful whewwww

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper

I guess one of the main reasons we're freaking out is that most of us only played for a really short period of time. All those changes really hit us fast. That and because Ken didn't play so well during the invitational.

That Marth looked like it knew what it was doing though. That Double F-air that connected Pikachu towards the middle of the video was beautiful whewwww
i think are just gonna have to relearn somethings before getting up to par again especially if they have been playing only melee or pm for a while

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
i think are just gonna have to relearn somethings before getting up to par again especially if they have been playing only melee or pm for a while
Yeah, we're just gonna have to adjust to the physics. Seems like we need to be more careful overall tho (marth mains).

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55

I'm so mad we lost the 1v1 I played w/ Marth!

I could've showed you guys a lot more!

Top Bottom