• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NEW AT VIDEO] Getting our hands on Smash4 build/demo [...]

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
And yeah, that explanation does put things in better perspective. I don't think that was too difficult.
Would it have been difficult for you to use a d*mn please?

On topic:

Mario and Kirby seem to have new U-airs (the "flip kicks"...and I'm also guessing they are U-airs). The arc seems to go beyond a 180 degree angle. Were you able to tell if these moves were able to hit an opponent from behind? If so, this could lead to some interesting cross-ups/air combos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mario and Kirby have had flip-kicks for U-Airs since N64. I think the change is the range, wherein they reach farther. Also, there's that cool slashy air effect on all the moves now, so that makes everything look a little different.

Well, when you dangle a carrot on a stick are you surprised when the rabbit wants to take a bite?
Dangle a steak in front of a dog, and it'll want to eat. But if it's trained, it'll wait, where as a wild one would just bite.

Down boy.

Last edited:

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mario and Kirby have had flip-kicks for U-Airs since N64. I think the change is the range, wherein they reach farther. Also, there's that cool slashy air effect on all the moves now, so that makes everything look a little different.
You'd be correct. My mistake. It's like you said, that slash made it look different. If nothing else, it looks faster to me, and the arc looks longer. He comboed it after a U-tilt, so it seems like it can be used fairly reliably for a few scenarios. If it is able to reach further back, the potential of it is much better. I believe the Melee/Brawl version arc was only immediately in front/slightly above.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Yes, unfortunately, given our work schedule and this being a video that we actually need to edit and explain how to perform the AT it might take some time for us to actually publish it.

The first was me using Marth vs Loci using Kirby, it was a great match cause i believe dash dancing (even though technically useless the way it is) might still have some purpose in this game. In this Match i also performed fox trot pretty easily (actually a lot of characters could) and a couple of combos (i believe stuff along the lines of ground canceled upairs to uptilt). it also showed that Marth still has the upper hand when it come to certain rivals (such as kirby) this is manly given by Marth's character design. We also showed some ledge play and discovered some odd stuff actually. For example: if you tried to quick ledge grab by performing a "half moon" the character would auto jump off the ledge (wtf!). It was probably a bug or something but who knows! If this aspect persists, the only way to perform a quick ledge grab will be by tilting the stick in the opposite direction at the right time. I honestly don't remember every detail.
Regarding the quick ledge grab, I think D1 was talking about this during his Clash Tournament interview. Wish we had footage so we could all see, but at least we seem to have another corroborating statement to what D1 said before.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mario and Kirby have had flip-kicks for U-Airs since N64.
I recently replayed the 64 version and Mario definitely had his flip kick since those days. but Kirby actually had the spin move he does with his Nair now. For his old Nair it was just a single powerful kick in the air. similar to Samus'

Last edited:

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
You'd be correct. My mistake. It's like you said, that slash made it look different. If nothing else, it looks faster to me, and the arc looks longer. He comboed it after a U-tilt, so it seems like it can be used fairly reliably for a few scenarios. If it is able to reach further back, the potential of it is much better. I believe the Melee/Brawl version arc was only immediately in front/slightly above.
Yeah, if the arc goes behind too, it might give it a little Captain-Falcon-style utility, which would be pretty sweet.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I recently replayed the 64 version and Mario definitely had his flip kick since those days. but Kirby actually had the spin move he does with his Nair now. For his old Nair it was just a single powerful kick in the air. similar to Samus'
Yeah, but Kirby's flip kick uair was introduced in Melee and has been with him ever since. A lot of characters had more "generic" aerials in smsh 64, and Melee really spiced the returning characters up in that regard.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
cause apparently we don't like to deliver:

SmashBoards and r/smashbors questions answered
Smash Boards Q&A [Smash4]

1 - I'd love to know exactly how amiibo works and whether or not the statement that Samus is "the strongest right now" has any merit.

Amiibos were there, only nobody was actually allowed to use them, soooo that was pretty pointless. Samus feels stronger than Brawl but with aweful missile play. Overall more kill power, less laggy attacks, and a fabulous zair (seriously it's so quick).

2 - Press up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A and see if it unlocks something

Ganon confirmed! (sorry we didn't actually tried the random picks, we thought it would've been a waste of time)

3 - Can you please test if characters can cancel dashes into crouches? Apparently Bowser can, but no one else.

Sorry didn't test this

4 - I would like to see some more Samus gameplay. ZSS was used all the time but there was very little Samus footage. I want to know if she's as much of a beast as Sakurai said. That and some more 1v1 footage would be nice as well.

I guess we delivered on this one hu? ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbPDyaDszs

5 - Can you see how heavy/light the Amiibo figures are, and whether they feel easily breakable?

We weren't allowed to touch them.

6 - Maybe take notes about any new assist trophies you find and what they do?

We got the same everybody else got at E3/Best buy, so nothing new there

7 -'m curious to know if Luma can use a smash attack while Rosalina is stunned. I think I might've seen it in a video, but I don't know if it was buffered or if Luma is literally a fully controlable character even while Rosalina is stunned.

Can little Mac side-b then up-special relatively quick?

Apparently yes, Luma can attack when Rosalina is stunned. As for Little mac, not really, side b takes a bit of time to recover.

8 - Mostly frivolous, but if anyone gets the chance to play as Samus, I'm curious to see if they have any of her past easter eggs like the Extender (uuuuuuuuuuuur) grab in Melee, or being able to Taunt transform to Zero Suit Samus. And though I wasn't able to myself, some confirmation on her not having the Morph Ball crawl would be nice.

Sorry, nothing came out of this one.

9 - You must steal the USB containing the game data at all costs, your forums need you...
JK just ask for it nicely

I did ask, i'm still waiting for an answer!

10 - Confirmation on Pikachu being able to use Quick-Attack three times would be nice... I honestly don't know if it's true, but if it is I would be happy.

Just 2.

11 - It seems no one has asked the big questions

Check to see if dash dancing is still useless
Sort of, I think we'll still find a way to use it even as it is
Check to see if air dodging into the ground still give you a lot of lag Not too different from Brawl, maybe a little more
Check to see if smash DI is still out of the game Welp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQYRSJJ3O0&list=UUFjtfqgEgPCjGgTeTLemfdg
Check to see if aerials still have a lot of lag upon landing Most characters: Yes. Sheik: not at all.
Check to see if characters are still unable to combo from grab (Marth) Some can (Olimar for example), but not Marth
Check to see if we are still able to dash into a pivot tilts Yep!
There's a good chance this demo is a more up to date version of the game then what we had at e3 so I think conforming what we already know is most important as if there are changes our speculations of the game can greatly change.

Same build as E3

12 - No one ever did reveal the damage output for Rosalina's up tilt move. Any chance that this can be looked at?

Sorry didn't test this

Reddit Q&A [Smash4]

1 - Experience the true power of the villager

We tried, but really didn't feel impressed

2 - explore edge guarding

This is interesting, FIRST: all the ledges act as if they're “smooth”, you don't get caught in strange ledges anymore (such as Brawl's final destination). SECOND: It looks like you'll be able to punish who you'll steal the ledge from.

3 - how much does Deep Breathing effect the power of WFT I must know.

Sorry didn't test this

4 - Can you keep an eye out for Chunky Kong and list what trophies you get out of Smash Run (if you get your hands on the 3DS version)? Will you be able to record this?

We didn't get our hands on the 3ds version much, mostly cause they were pushing players to play 4 man FFA on 3ds.

5 - how prevalent DI is along with combo starters and follow up potential, how strong the punish game is and how many movement options we might have being comboed and combing

DI is more difficult to perform, it feels more like Melee than Brawl here, and there's a good amount of combo starters with follow up potential, no huge combos though, mostly small ones; but a good amount of'em! It looks like if you get caught in a combo, there's little chance of you getting out. SDI is in the game, but more tricky and not as relevant.

6 - Please tell me how is Link! D:

To me Link didn't feel too different from Brawl, Loci said he felt a little buffed but unfortunately looks like Link is still Link

7 - Did they put in/take out any interesting colors for the characters?

Same as E3

8 - Where does the game improve upon Brawl? That's what I want to know. Are the characters more balanced? Is the speed of the game faster? Basically, the more information you can get to us, the happier we'll all be. :)

I don't think i'm able to aswer the first 2 questions cause one day isn't enough to really get what are/will be the strong and weak points of the game, but yes, it does feel faster in general, maybe slower in the air.

9 - We've had such an information overdose after E3 that I'm drawing a blank here... I guess I'm curious about the whole "way too much landing lag on aerials" issue. Does it feel like there's more than Brawl, less, or does it just drastically vary depending on which character you're using? (some have nearly none and some have too much)

It actually depends on the attacks, not all lag, but yeah a lot of characters have increased aerial landing lag (on some attacks).

10 - True Combo potential of characters please

We didn't test combo potential for all the characters, but kirby is a great example! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryoKOZuyrU&list=UUFjtfqgEgPCjGgTeTLemfdg

11 - Oh, I remembered something else that I haven't seen clarified anywhere so far: you could test Little Mac's angled variations of his forward smash... so far we only have Sakurai's generic info that the uppercut is a high knockback move and the body blow deals the most damage but doesn't move you as much. I'm kinda curious of how drastic the difference is in practice (if his fully charged non angled side smash reportedly deals 25% I really wonder how much damage does the body blow variant deal)

Sorry didn't test this

Sooo, apparently i got recorded playing Marth on a FFA with some guys from another website, I remember them asking me to play for this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdK5d1PzKw&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Last edited by a moderator:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot for all the time you spent getting back to us! I look forward to the rest of the footage. :)

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I don't know why, but watching the Pikmin grab the trampoline and carry it over to Olimar made my day.

Luigi player

Smash Master
2 - explore edge guarding

This is interesting, FIRST: all the ledges act as if they're “smooth”, you don't get caught in strange ledges anymore (such as Brawl's final destination). SECOND: It looks like you'll be able to punish who you'll steal the ledge from.
This is great news! No more random deaths from stupid ledges because of little mistakes that could happen so easily...

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Laggy aerials reduced and movement options on the ground and in the air. I hope the gravity is improved later on as well.

Other than that, Smash 4 looks great.

Well, when you dangle a carrot on a stick are you surprised when the rabbit wants to take a bite?
Maybe you should preoccupy yourself with something else and get off the mans nuts.

Same applies to everyone else here who is basically saying "Wow! This is great! But...". Sure, we all want more information, but this is a privelage, not a right.

Sure, some things got lost; tough *****, but we still have so much that we have seen in addition to the fact that he will be providing more information. The man has priorities outside of this forum. I really don't care how you word it, this behavior boils down to impatience, and there is no way to justify that.

Thank you @ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid for doing us this service. And honestly, I wouldn't blame you if you decided to leave this place given the absurd reception of some of the forum members.

Besides, the game is coming out in September! Jesus...

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I like smash4 quite a lot, i love Brawl, but grew tired of it
So how would you describe your gameplay experience with Smash 4 as a whole?

Also, thanks again for all the info and footage. The videos are great, and you've shown a great amount of detail.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Thanks for all the awesome info! We really appreciate that you took the time to try and answer as many of these questions as possible ^.^

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
So how would you describe your gameplay experience with Smash 4 as a whole?

Also, thanks again for all the info and footage. The videos are great, and you've shown a great amount of detail.
Extremely positive! The more I played the game, the more I seemed to like it. It really surprised me cause there was a lot of negativity surrounding the build by a lot of competitive players, and to us, it didn't feel that way at all.

We fell in love right away, it feels it's kind of like Brawl but more faster, more aggressive! To me this is just great, cause that's the way i like to play. It's sort of in the middle between Brawl and Melee, a little more on the Brawl side but as I mentioned before:

Smash4 is just like Smash4.

I believe Brawl players will break down the game faster, just cause they're more used to this kind of gameplay.

I can't wait to see al the new techs and movement options discovered!

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Extremely positive! The more I played the game, the more I seemed to like it. It really surprised me cause there was a lot of negativity surrounding the build by a lot of competitive players, and to us, it didn't feel that way at all.

We fell in love right away, it feels it's kind of like Brawl but more faster, more aggressive! To me this is just great, cause that's the way i like to play. It's sort of in the middle between Brawl and Melee, a little more the Brawl side but as I mentioned before:

I believe Brawl players will break down the game faster, just cause they're more used to this kind of gameplay.

Amazing. I think some people spend too much time comparing Smash 4 to all the previous games, which results in negative impressions. It looks like this game has awesome competitive potential, but few people can look past Brawl 2.0 and Melee 2.0 to see Smash 4 for what it really is: Smash 4. Can't wait to finally get my hands on this game.

Kain6th

Smash Ace

We fell in love right away, it feels it's kind of like Brawl but more faster, more aggressive! To me this is just great, cause that's the way i like to play. It's sort of in the middle between Brawl and Melee, a little more the Brawl side but as I mentioned before:

Thats so awesome to hear. i too have seen much negativity towards it and its refreshing to see a different pov. it also re-ignites the hype!

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Thats so awesome to hear. i too have seen much negativity towards it and its refreshing to see a different pov. it also re-ignites the hype!
Keep your hopes up!

As soon as you'll get to spend some time with the game, you'll see it for what it really is: a completely new entry to the series! Not a sequel.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Very good to hear. I just hope the dev team balances out aerials in a way that every character can combo like Kirby in your videos.

How do ledge mechanics work in this game? Can you overshoot the ledge with your recovery like in the older games, or is it like Brawl?

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I like smash4 quite a lot, i love Brawl, but grew tired of it
I felt the same. That's why I think games like Melee and Project M can be somewhat timeless, with L-cancelling, Wavedashing, Dash Dancing, etc I feel like there's always new ways to accomplish your goal. But I'm hoping Smash 4 will give us a game that can be timeless by having many facets of playing like Melee and PM had, but perhaps with new depths to explore. I'm excited to see what Nintendo may do!

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
I like this direction.

It can be very difficult to balance the competitive/casual market. You want it to be accessible while still remaining competitive, and it seems like this is the way Smash 4 is going.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Very good to hear. I just hope the dev team balances out aerials in a way that every character can combo like Kirby in your videos.

How do ledge mechanics work in this game? Can you overshoot the ledge with your recovery like in the older games, or is it like Brawl?
ledge mechanics are completely new, as i said in my Q&A:

"This is interesting, FIRST: all the ledges act as if they're “smooth”, you don't get caught in strange ledges anymore (such as Brawl's final destination). SECOND: It looks like you'll be able to punish who you'll steal the ledge from."

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Thanks for answering all those questions! I was actually really curious to know if getting a ledge grab on an opponent would allow you to punish the previous cliff hangers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
All of these news are so good, I truly believe that if landing lag is reduced significantly across the board this will be the best Smash game gameplay-wise. Probably not the best competitively of course, but it'll be exactly what I want. Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
ledge mechanics are completely new, as i said in my Q&A:

"This is interesting, FIRST: all the ledges act as if they're “smooth”, you don't get caught in strange ledges anymore (such as Brawl's final destination). SECOND: It looks like you'll be able to punish who you'll steal the ledge from."
What I meant is: do characters auto-sweetspot the ledge with their Up Bs?

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Just to let you guys know, we are editing our last video, sorry if it's taking too long.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
it took us a little longer than expected but here it is:

Turnaround cancel (w/ English subs)

Edit: props to Loci who staid up all night in order to publish the Video today.

Last edited:
Thanks for the upload, man. I've been curious about how pivoting works in this game. It seems like sliding ground animations in this game keep you in neutral.

Did you guys experiment with any other tilts or jabs? It seems like it would be possible to have a lot of ground options out of this.

Top Bottom