• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New approach for more mii access?

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I've always been onboard with allowing any moves for the miis in noncustom tournaments and such. However, I don't really think altering weight is really "fair" in a tournament. Reason being that a player can't practice against all the potential mii weights, and there also isn't an indicator on character screen showing weights. But this is just my opinion, and not the point of the post.

Looking at where miis are right now:
Can't be used in For Glory
Almost completely limited to 1111 in tournaments

I think we need to come to terms that complete freedom in skill choice will not be available in noncustom tournaments. I just dont think it is a battle we will win. Also, I assume miis aren't in For Glory because Nintendo doesn't want a bunch of Adolf Hitlers running around.

My proposal, and what I think we should push for from Nintendo (not TOs)

1. With customs off, have access to only 9 premade miis. 3 gunners, 3 swords, and 3 brawlers. With skill sets 1111, 2222, 3333, and using guest miis with generic names. If there was a way to use costumes with them that would be both a big plus for us, and Nintendo would make more money selling DLC costumes.

2. With customs on, have access to any player created mii.

This would give us 9 more available characters in For Glory and 6 more characters in tournaments. I think this would be a worthwhile compromise, and put miis in a better position than we could realistically hope for.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
The only real reason sizes should be restricted is because you have to go into the Mii Maker if a 3DS isn't available. Not much changes with weights, and "I don't wanna learn it" isn't a competitive argument anyways. But I'm not really for sizes anymore.

I don't think Nintendo cares or will ever do anything for us, although Miis in FG would be a blessing. But they see it as a banned/legal situation (as it should be), not a complicated issue like we've made it. So, allowing guest only and only specific movesets doesn't fit into their mindset. They wouldn't agree.

Also, you'd get more discussion on the other boards, if you haven't posted there.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I've always been onboard with allowing any moves for the miis in noncustom tournaments and such. However, I don't really think altering weight is really "fair" in a tournament. Reason being that a player can't practice against all the potential mii weights, and there also isn't an indicator on character screen showing weights. But this is just my opinion, and not the point of the post.
How is using a character to its fullest potential so the competitive community can determine its worth not "fair"? To allow that for all characters except one for no reason is the definition of not fair.
It is definitely not a fairness violation as far as competitive principles go since any player can play the character, anyone.

And the claim that one cannot practice against the potential Mii weights is wrong, wrong, and completely WRONG. Go ahead and create a generic Mii of every weight, then choose the character of preferred weight, select CPU of desired level, and start practicing.
There are also in-person practice, online Friend Battles, and if the community was doing things properly a tournament scene to face off against Mii players.

The rest of the post is essentially a waste because the foundation just was proven wrong.
But I can respond a bit on it anyway.

My proposal, and what I think we should push for from Nintendo (not TOs)
Good luck with that.
Let us know how it goes.

1. With customs off, have access to only 9 premade miis. 3 gunners, 3 swords, and 3 brawlers. With skill sets 1111, 2222, 3333, and using guest miis with generic names. If there was a way to use costumes with them that would be both a big plus for us, and Nintendo would make more money selling DLC costumes.
Ruins the very nature of the character being an "Original Fighter" that you make.
So, no, the idea will fly just as much as saying Kirby should not swallow & copy opponents and instead be a realistic humanoid that works a minimum wage job.

This would give us 9 more available characters in For Glory and 6 more characters in tournaments. I think this would be a worthwhile compromise, and put miis in a better position than we could realistically hope for.
I don't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom