• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Amazing Option from Dair

RPK

Smash Lord
So when messing around I wound up comboing into Fox's dash attack from his Dair if it got buffered and from there I actually wondered if I could, and found out you could combo into his boost pivot grab from a dair if it is buffered. I even set a computer to jump to see if I land the grab before he has a chance to even leave the ground. When I try to do it normally without buffering, I failed to grab him or ended up grabbing him after he has jumped which means there are frames for someone to respond. However, when I ended up buffering it he never left the ground, and it comboed like a regular dair to grab. This means that Foxes can almost instantly put someone off stage because of the amount of space his boost pivot grab, and back throw cover together. I honestly wish I had discovered, and practiced this earlier in my career when brawl was in its prime because I think the ability to instantly take anyone off stage just by landing a dair is just game changing.

TKD

Smash Lord
What...? You can't buffer a boost pivot grab...I freaking wish though; we'd infinite the Mother characters if you could.

That being said, it could be possible to time it consistently from a buffered dash attack out of dair, since you have control of when dair will end (unlike holding someone in a grab). This looks like something that would completely wreck a lot of characters.

Could be a big boost to our dair (if you watch out for SDI at least)...a notorious example would be that sending Snake out with this could lead to an easy 60~80% out of a dair.

I wouldn't call it game changing though since Fox's dair can't be used as an approach (I hope people understand now that it sucks for that)... Although I do land a lot of dairs.

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
You can buffer it. From the words of Michael Hey, You can buffer everything in the game. And I could tell its buffered because I had my hands off of the buttons before the move even came out. I could even put up a video of me doin it if you want, but I promise you that you can buffer it, I mean thats what Tyrant does with all of his moves from when I played way back.

RPK

Smash Lord
Actually you can but you go like...1/1000th of an inch forward if you buffer it like an attack but if you just keep holding forward you'll start walking the moment you are able to. Its kinda like a shield how if you hold it down, itll pop up the moment its available, but buffering an attack tho

EDIT: Also if you guys want, I can post up some videos I just recorded through my iphone. The video quality isnt the best, but the sound should be sync'd up properly that you can hear the inputs and then see when it comes out to show that its buffered.

Last edited:

TKD

Smash Lord
@ RPK RPK : Michael Hey is old school. WAY old school. I know he used to be the god of Brawl in our continent, but there's a chance that the american metagame already caught up with what he knew. No way of telling exactly how much he knew though... The reason I play Fox is that he told me Fox is good... And he was always right. BUT THERE IS STILL THE CHANCE HE FORGOT ABOUT BOOST GRAB WHEN HE SAID "EVERYTHING".

Anyway, insisting it's possible to buffer a boost pivot grab isn't helpful at all; JUST TELL US THE INPUT SO WE CAN SEE FOR OURSELVES... And so I can infinite the Mother kids... That'd be so sad for those characters.

RPK

Smash Lord
B...But I did say the input earlier in the thread T3T Also Im pretty sure he said everything, even all the small things he said you could buffer. Also I can easily say that he knew a lot...A whole lot...more than I could imagine. I should pay him a visit sometime if he's still in the area. I live like...5 minutes from the guy @3@

EDIT: Input during the buffer frames (Inputs are done as though the character is facing right)
Dash Right->C-stick down (to initiate a dash attack) -> Other direction+Z (Pivotgrab)

Last edited:

TKD

Smash Lord
Oh! So let me get this straight:

From this 6 ===> 6->C-stick Down+4+Z->5 <=== To this 5

You input all of that before you can move?

If so you're right and I apologize and I've gotta try this.

RPK

Smash Lord
Yup yup. I thought of it not too long ago since people can BDACUS which is about just as many individual inputs so I thought we could buffer a boost pivot grab, and yes we can. Ive got vids Im putting up on youtube right now. Ill post them when theyre up. Its a dair to boost pivot grab. One vid is on FD on regular speed, and the other is on BF slowed down to 2/3 speed

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I don't see how you could buffer a dash attack cancelled usmash (BDACUS), but not a dash attack cancelled grab (boost grab). Just saying.

Is it confirmed that this is actually linking, given they don't SDI? That would be sweet.

Yup yup. I thought of it not too long ago since people can BDACUS which is about just as many individual inputs
BDACUS is only 3 inputs.

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
Id practice it on actual people, but no one in my area plays this game anymore. Atleast no one that used to play this game competitively. The only way to really test this is to have the opponent buffer a sidestep, or just even shield to see if it comes out since shield comes out frame 1 I believe. I want to say it works considering samus was in a stumbling animation during the time she got grabbed, but again, its something that needs to be tested with another human

Also its more or less that its an option that hasnt really been thought of from a dair.

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
There's no way this combo would be guaranteed at low percents, I've seen spot dodge avoid Dair -> buffered grab many times. It would probably work anyway because opponents often shield to avoid Utilt/Dsmash/Usmash.

I'm sure that it could be guaranteed at higher percents, but at those percents you could just as easily land a Dsmash which would put them in the same position anyway.

I think that this would be a cool mixup at low/mid percents when you guess that they'll hold their shield or if they don't know better to try and dodge the Dair followups.

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
Well, at low percents you wanna get your dair-> buffer turn around uptiltx3 ->Whatever. The easiest one is shield, wait for an aerial into grab since people are dumb. Or going for damage which is to end it with an upsmash putting them at 56ish percent. On the other hand, on some characters you can always go grab->dthrow->buffer rising fair for a combo if they dont DI it right whichll put them at a good percentage. Also it leaves you your double jump so you can follow where they go afterwards. Or if they DI down to escape from the rising fair, you can follow with a dair but thats another thing entirely...

Top Bottom