• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Alternate Costume Renders for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

New_Alternate_Costumes.png

PushDustIn of Source Gaming has shared some new renders with us, one of which is a previously unseen Yoshi alternate costume based on his look in the upcoming Yoshi’s Crafted World. This was found in one of Nintendo’s press asset libraries, along with several other costumes.

There are also renders for Shulk, Falco and Palutena, but they seem to be simple updates to their previous renders.

As PushDustIn notes, Meta Ridley would be a 9th costume. Ridley only had the traditional eight alternate costumes in the demo. Could this mean we’ll see more costumes and colors than ever before? We will have to wait and see.

The folder of the characters alternative renders can be found here. Remember to check out Source Gaming at their website and to follow them on twitter!

Authors Note: Excited for these costumes? Do you think we might get cosmetic DLC for our various Smashers? Share what you think below!

Jedidiah "SHSL Jedi" Baker

Comments

Y'all, these renders look SO good. Super excited about the Yoshi alt. I just hope it's visually easy to tell apart from the default Yoshi skin.

Y'all, these renders look SO good. Super excited about the Yoshi alt. I just hope it's visually easy to tell apart from the default Yoshi skin.
I’m excited for that too! Taking a look, the default color is a darker green than the Crafted Yoshi’s brighter green, not to mention the texture on the latter could help distinguish it more.

I'd like to point out that Ridley's 8th costume may end up being this one, as its color scheme is very similar to the one in the demo, so it may not have been finished. or I'm misremembering; sorry if I am.

also yay fem. Corrin

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that Ridley's 8th costume may end up being this one, as its color scheme is very similar to the one in the demo, so it may not have been finished. or I'm misremembering; sorry if I am.

also yay fem. Corrin
It's still interesting, i'd like to believe this means we'll get more than the usual 8, but you could also be right.

With Yoshi's Crafted World version, I'm surprised they haven't bothered making Pikachu's fur at least somewhat like that.

I already knew about the Shulk, Falco, and Palutena artwork update. It is updated in the official website as well.

The alternative renders look CLEAN! I was especially curious on what the rest of the Bayonetta 1 costume render would look like, and I am pleased.

There are some interesting design choices with the Meta-Ridley render. I figured they would just add the mecha properties over Ridley's already existing Ultimate design, but no! They straight up made a whole new model that looks like more true to his Prime 1 design. Meta-Ridley's skull shape, arm muscles, and even skin texture are all different from his default alt.

As much as I love Ridley, it was Meta-Ridley in Prime that first stole my heart. And I wasn't completely sold on the Ultimate design either, so this is great news for me!

Meta Ridley will change the meta~

I am honestly having trouble distinguishing this Yoshi alt from his regular one... I don't see any differences here at all from his other look...

Makes me think that most, if not all the cast, will have at least one ALT form. So many possibilities. Punch Out DK and Masked Dedede have been very heavily implied too. Maybe we'll FINALLY get Dry Bowser. I'll be really surprised if Olimar doesn't get more captains and Pac-Man doesn't get Ms. Pac-Man at this rate.

There are some interesting design choices with the Meta-Ridley render. I figured they would just add the mecha properties over Ridley's already existing Ultimate design, but no! They straight up made a whole new model that looks like more true to his Prime 1 design. Meta-Ridley's skull shape, arm muscles, and even skin texture are all different from his default alt.

As much as I love Ridley, it was Meta-Ridley in Prime that first stole my heart. And I wasn't completely sold on the Ultimate design either, so this is great news for me!
It's a composite of Prime 1 Meta Ridley and Proteus Ridley from Samus Returns. It's a great mix and definitely an amazing portrayal of Meta in Smash.

It's a composite of Prime 1 Meta Ridley and Proteus Ridley from Samus Returns. It's a great mix and definitely an amazing portrayal of Meta in Smash.
Yeah, I've since gone back and compared Prime and Ultimate Meta-Ridley, and now I see quite a few differences.
But I'm still pretty happy that Sakurai used a completely different model regardless. He didn't have to; he could have just overlaid or swapped out some mechanical parts. But it does feel strange for Ridley to be getting so many liberties when Sakurai tends to try to stay as true to the source material as possible.

Yeah, I've since gone back and compared Prime and Ultimate Meta-Ridley, and now I see quite a few differences.
But I'm still pretty happy that Sakurai used a completely different model regardless. He didn't have to; he could have just overlaid or swapped out some mechanical parts. But it does feel strange for Ridley to be getting so many liberties when Sakurai tends to try to stay as true to the source material as possible.
Does it? We already knew Sakurai was going to have to make a few calls to change Ridley's design to make him more suited to be a fighter in comparison to the rest of the cast. Since he was already changing the design anyway, not surprising that he made changes in other areas too. Plus, Sakurai has shown time and time again that he is willing to go 180 on decisions he has made in the past or otherwise might not adhere to established precedents.

It's still interesting, i'd like to believe this means we'll get more than the usual 8, but you could also be right.
Indeed... if we get more then the usual 8, we could have a lot of really interesting alts for characters here. Some suggestions I liked were the 'Ancient Hero' for Link, and the ones shown at the top. Yes, all of them.

Top Bottom