• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Advanced Technique: Skid Canceled Shield Grab (SCSG)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
First off I would like to say that I did not discover this. Full credit goes to God-Is-My-Rock (aka GIMR). I just think this deserved its own thread for reference purposes.

The Video and Tutorial

The main difference between this form of grab and Shield Cancel Grabbing is that you holding down the Control Stick for a brief moment but letting it go (so you can enter Skid animation) while pressing shield.

Shield Cancel Grabbing is flicking the Control Stick and waiting 3 frames so you can shield and then grab.

So will this actually make much a difference?

If you look at the video you see how many grabs you can get off from a CG on Lucario on Final Destination.

Normal Dash Grab - 5 grabs maximum.
Shield Cancel Grab (this was not in the video but should be listed) - 6 grabs maximum.
Skid Canceled Shield Grab - 8 grabs maximum.

That's 8 grabs. That is 60% more grabs compared to just grab dashing! On top of that and this was not mentioned in the video this grab also has other neat applications for us. If you grab an opponent close to the ledge and D-Throw again you can use the SCSG to regrab them again when while they are flying off the stage in hitstun! No other grab allows us to do that. So instead of doing that F-Tilt because you think you can't re-grab them, use the SCSG. I will testing more applications with this grab but its all pretty straightforward. It's not too hard to learn either. EVERYONE NEEDS TO LEARN THIS GRAB.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but does this come out just as fast as a standard dash-grab? Like will snake be able to pull out his grenade or not during this? Because if it is just as fast then that beats shield grab by a whole lot.

I haven't tested this out yet btw.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I would like to collect some frame data on that personally. Because if it is just as fat as Dash Grab this will make the Snake matchup noticeably less painful since we HAVE to dash grab him or get blown up.

That is actually a good question and should be looked into.

Hopefully GIMR posts here and can maybe clarify things for us.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
@dewdew dash: you can do it to snake, but, once his stales, he can pull a grenade.

Another thing that's noticeably good about this: you know how you guys like to dash grab → pummel characters when they're at high percantges? This makes you slide ridiculously far. Doing SCSG makes it do you really don't slide at all. So if you grabbed some one at 100% at the edge, and SCSG'd → Pummel, all the way accross you'd give about 70 to 80 percent damage if I remember correctly

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
@dewdew dash: you can do it to snake, but, once his stales, he can pull a grenade.

Another thing that's noticeably good about this: you know how you guys like to dash grab → pummel characters when they're at high percantges? This makes you slide ridiculously far. Doing SCSG makes it do you really don't slide at all. So if you grabbed some one at 100% at the edge, and SCSG'd → Pummel, all the way accross you'd give about 70 to 80 percent damage if I remember correctly
Wow. This actually looks pretty awesome. Relatively simple, but it looks like it makes a noticeable difference.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Tech, I could have the lab look into this when we get to our examination of your character if you want :)

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Yeah, i think this is almost the exact same thing as powershield grab running. The only thing I really learned from this was just buffer the shield grab so its slightly easier to shield grab luigi but still not much. I thought this was a bigger find but I alrdy knew this now that I tryed it today.

Kadill

Smash Rookie
Link (not the character)

Hey I hope no one gets annoyed about me posting so long after the original was posted. I'm a new Dedede main, and I was trying to get some pointers on how to play him, and a friend said to use the skid canceled shield grab. So I found it on the DDD directory and resource thread, and sadly the video is no longer there. Could someone direct me to a newer video I could watch to help give me an idea of how to do this?

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Hey I hope no one gets annoyed about me posting so long after the original was posted. I'm a new Dedede main, and I was trying to get some pointers on how to play him, and a friend said to use the skid canceled shield grab. So I found it on the DDD directory and resource thread, and sadly the video is no longer there. Could someone direct me to a newer video I could watch to help give me an idea of how to do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPVB4-NLlsQ&list=PLF52238E65D6ED18D&index=4&feature=plpp_video

Top Bottom