• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Never give up! Trust your instincts! - Fox video thread obsolete: Go to http://smashvods.com/

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Last edited:

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
"Kid" only uses Fox for one match, but it's a pretty good Fox and you'll be surprised who "Kid" is
Turns out it's not really the man himself, it's just that Kid looks a hella lot like him. Kid's playing right now on RushHourSmash.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Fox v Marth is one I do all the time, you generally want Marth to do an option first, or bait it with something.

But the fact Marth can tipper KO Fox as early as 40 is such an annoyance, the MU lies in stage control imo, as Marth can cover the get up options amazingly.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yeah, the Marth players in that series of matches didn't space well. The Fox players were always in Marth's face when he screwed up.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
How is this out already? DEHF v NickRiddle!

Yeah, the Marth players in that series of matches didn't space well. The Fox players were always in Marth's face when he screwed up.
I wanna say the best thing the Marth can do is do the 4glory rolls back and forth being an annoyance in attempt to bait an option of out Fox instead.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
My friend mains Fox and I go up against him a lot, Fox vs Marth is definitely even. Marth has the superior off-stage game with moves such as f-air, b-air, and n-air being not the easiest for Fox to punish if Marth's in the air because Fox doesn't have the range to punish it and the ledge trump game for Marth is real. However, Fox only has to really worry about jab, n-air, and possibly Dancing Blade when he's going on the offensive so on the ground Fox can find for openings and can just punish with either a grab and start frame trapping with f-air/u-air or jab and Fox' u-smash is a hella good move for both KOing and as a combo tool. Fox also has great tilts for getting combos off of Marth and it basically makes it so a skilled Marth doesn't have an easy time against a skilled Fox. 50/50.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
And the all Larry Lurr Top 8 CEO videos have been uploaded.

EDIT:
And the video we've all been waiting for. @DEHF against Mr. R!

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe

M@v

Subarashii!
Oh look, an actual video of my Fox . This set happened back on July 13th. It isn't perfect, as its a wifi set and not an offline tournament match, but enjoy nonetheless!

P.S. Anther's ladder (which is what this set is on) is a great place to train if you need additional practice from other players via wifi, or don't have the resources to get good offline practice.
https://www.smashladder.com/

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Customs yo

@ M@v M@v

That was an awesome match, only thing I didn't really see you do were Utilt setups or many SH auto cancelled Uairs. Your neutral game is on point most of the time against Mr. E, very well played.
Also lol the firefox kill. Just me or does it seem easier to hit with your back turned to them?

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
@ M@v M@v

Your Fox is incredibly good. You did the in-out game so well against Mr. Eric's ROB.

Ironically, I've been finding a lot of Fox's are not using their reflector very often in this game even when against projectile heavy characters. I saw it a lot in NAKAT's set vs. John Numbers where I really felt he should've been using the reflector more to combat WFT's projectile game. You used the reflector super well in that match with good predictions and such. Jumping on top of ROB's stationary Gyro and then just jump cancelling it is super easy and gives you lots of control suddenly.

Great Fox, was a pleasure to watch! :D

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I'm wondering if we should include all these "pre-patch" videos in a separate "folder" now that they don't work with the jab tech

Also I should probably start adding a lot of videos... slacking of as usual, but here's @Bloodcross !

Last edited:

Ascen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ascendtothetop

Anyone willing to help me improve my Fox? I'm trying out Fox and Falco on top of Sheik, so I'm not as aware of their inner intricacies as most of you, probably.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I would agree, but I didn't get any responses to my previous post.
It isn't a very active thread in terms of feedback.

You didn't pressure Shulk a lot, sure you threw out a bunch of Nairs, but it felt like you weren't camping him at all, so I'd say you're being too aggressive against a swordsman who can out range you.
You're obviously still thinking JabJab is useful in neutral, and while it is possible to sometimes get the JabJab turn around Utilt, it's rarely worth it.

Something to practice is SH Uair's, if you do it fast enough it'll auto cancel just like Bair - which you didn't use a whole lot of either, cause something like Bair to a landing Dsmash is possible if you can pressure opponents, it's also a good roll trap in my experience. Another thing is, if you end up double jabbing on his shield, it's not a bad idea for Fox to do a Pivot Fsmash, as the distance gained in doing so should be far enough to avoid a shield grab, and in that case you're rolling in with an Fsmash.

Also do Uthrow for a mix up in case they are always DI'ing away from you, that way you can put them in a position where you can read their air dodge with a Uair, or if they decide to jump away, possibly trap them when they are out of jumps.

Your neutral was basically lacking, and you didn't execute the small things, Shulk is a... iffy MU in my book, not the best Shulk you fought though, but be wary of the counter, as it's duration is long, and if you see him user Buster, it's better to play defensively, cause it's directly telling you he wants to rack up percentage, so best to steer clear of that and maybe bait him with the blaster.

EDIT: SOME ****ING LARRY !

Bet he'd 2 stock him all games if he could still JabJab Dsmash

Last edited:

NoahDaniel

Smash Cadet
Edit: Videos are all pre-patch

I got some videos from a tourney I was at against DK, Mega Man and Falcon

And in this match I learned that the Fair spike isn't a good thing to do against Falcon, and that I should practise to focus even if the opponent taunts a lot. I'm still salty that I lost to someone called "Sir Tauntalot"

I've never been to a tourney before where my matches got recorded and seeing myself play was horrible. So many obvious habits from my side. I recommend everyone to watch their own matches too.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Updated with the SoCall FaD videos, I'll get on updating this thread this weekend

Edit:
I'm Lazy, expect videos to be added this following week, added a few of Nietono's recent fox videos in the post 1.10 section

Tourney Locator done, bunch of Phenom and Megafox added. I must say @A_male_platypus that is SOME beard, cripes!

So many damn ROB videos....

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I'll be hooking this post up with more ksev vids shortly, I'm from Michigan, and there's tons of great footage of him, those vids are only from are most recent weekly, there's some really fantastic play from him in different weeks. Should I stick to sets that are won? Because I can also link losing sets against strong players for matchup study purposes

SFW3:

Wins: vs Nom (Olimar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK5Wd_Zf5kc&index=16&list=PLg44i0CClXG6tDdnb_iMlUAxjk3T47a6G

Losses: vs Regralht (Yoshi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9icfNzPcNLU&index=17&list=PLg44i0CClXG6tDdnb_iMlUAxjk3T47a6G

E2C XVII:

Wins: vs JJRockets (Diddy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM6xCUap0-A&index=13&list=PL4KDl4OPAQ7lm4Dzu1X6R-adzq1YHo38r

vs BoScotty (Peach): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkiCTDp4Ljo&index=16&list=PL4KDl4OPAQ7lm4Dzu1X6R-adzq1YHo38r

King's Clash 3:

Wins: vs ***** (Toon Link): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CfIxGBFrg&list=PLg44i0CClXG6I7CcLsDVV-udHz4w3ipHP&index=8

Losses: vs Lourich (Sheik): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDq2hG6MKg0&list=PLg44i0CClXG6I7CcLsDVV-udHz4w3ipHP&index=4

vs Pulse|Loe1 (Luigi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJNVsiuWhCw&list=PLg44i0CClXG6I7CcLsDVV-udHz4w3ipHP&index=13

SFW1:

Wins: vs Pulse|Stewy (Sonic/D3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvh6GOsXEf0&index=6&list=PLg44i0CClXG5ojEysKn9ZUC-brQ87PSg-

vs Viev (Luigi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B6TIHwlo88&index=11&list=PLg44i0CClXG5ojEysKn9ZUC-brQ87PSg-

Losses: vs Rayquaza (Rosaluma): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FM4gtOQyg&index=13&list=PLg44i0CClXG5ojEysKn9ZUC-brQ87PSg-

vs Viev (Luigi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPKck8hOv9k&list=PLg44i0CClXG5ojEysKn9ZUC-brQ87PSg-&index=17

ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS PRE-PATCH, STILL WORTH WATCHING FOR THINGS BESIDES JAB SHENANIGANS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PPW 17:

Wins: vs Sparky (Kirby): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmQdrpS9zc&index=17&list=PLg44i0CClXG7Dz3qFOlTV1FH5eB47Aq8I

Losses: vs Pulse|Loe1 (Luigi): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6i95nCg504&index=13&list=PLg44i0CClXG7Dz3qFOlTV1FH5eB47Aq8I

E2C 15:

Wins: vs GreenBeast (Olimar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WEUA3BfqnI&index=6&list=PL4KDl4OPAQ7kkxkiIOQSywL3YpPBbwgG3

vs BoScotty (Peach): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXgz_pPUmo&index=15&list=PL4KDl4OPAQ7kkxkiIOQSywL3YpPBbwgG3

vs LoF|Keitaro (Mii Brawler): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhvVU9eo6c&index=19&list=PL4KDl4OPAQ7kkxkiIOQSywL3YpPBbwgG3

Losses: vs Zinoto (Diddy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpG2ECE-Ew&index=5&list=PL4KDl4OPAQ7kkxkiIOQSywL3YpPBbwgG3

Rebirth IV:

Wins: vs JJRockets (Diddy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzCC8QiXf0&list=PLg44i0CClXG7KOTy7WnKoq-iH1d0pHs4-&index=27

There's a good amount of notable sets from him!

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Appreciated @KentaKurodani I need to get off the mainstream smash channels and look through all the smaller ones haha

Edit:
For the sake of the replays staying Fresh though, then I won't be adding the pre-patch videos.

Last edited:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
No problem, happy to help. I think it's a little more than 5% Ksev now though :p I'm on the improve myself, so hopefully I'll be posting some of my own sets up here in the near future, took game 1 off a notable sheik in the area last tourney I attended

Umby

Smash Master

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
I hate to badger about this, but it's often hard for me to get feedback to improve on, since there aren't really many (what I'd consider) knowledgeable Fox's in my area. Would anyone, perhaps, have any input? I'll be recording some more this weekend, if that'll help.
+ You're playing at the right speed which is important. Many fox players or players in general don't play quick enough or don't input/buffer things as much as they should, leaving pauses in there gameplay. So in this respect you are on the upper half of players

+ You occasionally use short hop fast fall to space and zone. Short hopping with fox is incredibly powerful for mobility as it lets you move very small units very fast.

- Use SHFF More to zone/space. The other advantage to shffing is that it keeps you mobile without sacrificing your position. You're not a sitting duck in your shield standing still giving your opponent time to take advantage of you blocking by grabbing or pressuring you. SHFF mixed with foxtrotting an dash shielding makes fox very unpredictable.

- You seem to go for dsmash edge guards often. This is a high risk high reward option because if you don't land the dsmash on your opponent recovering, they get a guaranteed punish. Dsmashing most characters only gives you a frame of vulnrability to hit and dmash only has 2 frames of active frames, making it very difficult to pull off. I personally only go for it against Rosa and cfalcon when they misspace their recovery's. Try covering the opponents get up options instead. Fox is fast so you should be able to figure out good,safe options for all their get up options.

- More uair. I tell every fox i see to use more uair. uair is the GOAT. Learn how to sh uair with no lag after and what uses it has.Very important. It does 16 percent...seriously

- Use dash attack more to punish your opponents options that aren't block.You get the most out of it compared to all your moves

- Tidy up your inputs. You spot dodge and roll unnecessarily. Every input you do should be for a reason.

Foster J.

Smash Ace

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Chalice your movement is sort of sloppy, in fact sometimes you're standing still and you're not really DI'ing throws or combo starters.

The link match showed you're too fond of the laser, you need to be able to measure the opponents options if you want to use the blaster and only shoot 2-3 at times so you don't eat a punish even B-reverse this is worth learning though it's a minimal benefit.

I don't think I saw you shield approaching even once, and powershielding is very crucial as Fox if you wanna keep even with zoning / projectile characters.

You don't know how to do Short hop auto cancelled Up Airs, which is a bread and butter for Fox mains in smash 4, nor did you make much commanding use of SH Back airs to threaten characters in shield, this mostly works on tall characters though so not as effective on medium and smaller sized ones, but if they are shielding you can land with no lag and buffer a Utilt on landing to get them depending on your spacing.

Basically your neutral game is a mess, I'd really advice you to check out the videos in this thread and notice how the Fox mains in question land their hits. Also it's VERY common to do Fair out of Dthrow, so instead try running below them and catch their landing option, meaning you either run up and shield or just run up and do something.

In the Pit match you ran OFFSTAGE for some reason, something you should never do unless it's a situation where you're certain or brave enough to gimp him without getting rekt back.
You want to maintain stage control, so be careful of your opponents location, if he's standing on the middle of the stage then don't Side B into the center.

Also note Side B doesn't auto snap so downwards angled moves can hit you while you try going for the ledge, moves that cover ledge are often Down smashes and some Fsmashes, if they are timing it correctly they can keep you offstage, so if they are charging a Smash while you're offstage it's safer to jump closer and Fire Fox from below from a diagonal angle.

You can also stall yourself in the air with Down B once or twice off stage to see what they are doing and decide how to recover.

So don't rely on lasers to much, try to dance more around them and constantly keep moving and not stop in your tracks

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Chalice your movement is sort of sloppy, in fact sometimes you're standing still and you're not really DI'ing throws or combo starters.

The link match showed you're too fond of the laser, you need to be able to measure the opponents options if you want to use the blaster and only shoot 2-3 at times so you don't eat a punish even B-reverse this is worth learning though it's a minimal benefit.

Yeah I tend to go for the laser against campy matches like Link

I don't think I saw you shield approaching even once, and powershielding is very crucial as Fox if you wanna keep even with zoning / projectile characters.

Need more practice , preferably not on For Glory

You don't know how to do Short hop auto cancelled Up Airs, which is a bread and butter for Fox mains in smash 4, nor did you make much commanding use of SH Back airs to threaten characters in shield, this mostly works on tall characters though so not as effective on medium and smaller sized ones, but if they are shielding you can land with no lag and buffer a Utilt on landing to get them depending on your spacing.

Funny how you mention the auto canceled SHFF UAir because I've been practicing it for hours since yesterday lol

At first, I found it hard to do without using tap jump with the C-stick but I soon found trying to do empty hops and moving in general a little messier. Then I tried to practice jumping regularly with tap jump but the fastfall didn't respond many times. (Btw all of this was in training mode)

I can now pretty much do it almost consistently standing still under the shorter platforms on Battlefield. I'm now trying to do it from a run.

Would you recommend I give tap jump another try though?

Basically your neutral game is a mess, I'd really advice you to check out the videos in this thread and notice how the Fox mains in question land their hits. Also it's VERY common to do Fair out of Dthrow, so instead try running below them and catch their landing option, meaning you either run up and shield or just run up and do something.

You mean like dash attack or short hop Bair?

In the Pit match you ran OFFSTAGE for some reason, something you should never do unless it's a situation where you're certain or brave enough to gimp him without getting rekt back.
You want to maintain stage control, so be careful of your opponents location, if he's standing on the middle of the stage then don't Side B into the center.

There was a few lag spikes which made me mistime my Side B to the ledge in some matches AND the running offstage lol

Also note Side B doesn't auto snap so downwards angled moves can hit you while you try going for the ledge, moves that cover ledge are often Down smashes and some Fsmashes, if they are timing it correctly they can keep you offstage, so if they are charging a Smash while you're offstage it's safer to jump closer and Fire Fox from below from a diagonal angle.

Yeah I do try to mix it up

You can also stall yourself in the air with Down B once or twice off stage to see what they are doing and decide how to recover.

I do this on occassion

So don't rely on lasers to much, try to dance more around them and constantly keep moving and not stop in your tracks

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
So you're still part of the C on Smash race unlike Skar who joined the Double Sticking Boys?

Also it looks like you had more than JUST a bowl of cereal judging by your first game against Miller haha

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ypsO0jxs4 fox boards pls r8 my :4fox:

Ally's Mario is the most different Mario I've played so it was hard to make adaptions and when I did he just adapted to them ;-; IMO I played a bit slow game 1 as well, didn't move around enough/was standing in shield too much and that's bad because Ally's neutral revolves around grab

also I realized that I approached with dash attack too much and didn't mix it up enough, should have pressured him to approach more and that lost me game 1

game 2 was a bit closer considering i got mollywhopped in the first 30 seconds but brought it back but he got me on my side b mixup cause i was using it too much and then he got my recovery because i wasnt careful enough

game 3 my reads were on point, powershields were on point which helped me extend damage etc

game 4

**** duck hunt
thx fox boards

Last edited:

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ypsO0jxs4 fox boards pls r8 my :4fox:

Ally's Mario is the most different Mario I've played so it was hard to make adaptions and when I did he just adapted to them ;-; IMO I played a bit slow game 1 as well, didn't move around enough/was standing in shield too much and that's bad because Ally's neutral revolves around grab

also I realized that I approached with dash attack too much and didn't mix it up enough, should have pressured him to approach more and that lost me game 1

game 2 was a bit closer considering i got mollywhopped in the first 30 seconds but brought it back but he got me on my side b mixup cause i was using it too much and then he got my recovery because i wasnt careful enough

game 3 my reads were on point, powershields were on point which helped me extend damage etc

game 4

**** duck hunt
thx fox boards
+ your usmash landing punishes were good

+ you can actually auto cancel uair which is great. Not many foxs have implemented it yet.

+ youre moving often which is good, staying still or in block for too long will get you opened up for free.

- Some of your throw choices were questionable, you need to put them in positions where you can atempt to convert.throwing them off stage at low percent achieves nothing.

- You do need to work on your approach options and spacing. You sometimes dashed in from the wrong distances and dash attacked too early. Some of your dash grabs needed to be dash shield grabs at some ranges as well.

- Stop using lazers all together for now, its costing you more than its helping.

- Random fsmashes are not worth. even if youre going for a read, if its not gonna kill its not worth the risk of getting hard punished. Fox is light AF

- Stop using side B in neutral. Its not very safe and is unlikely to net you a set up when the opponent is moving around alot. Its a high risk low reward option in neutral. To be used sparingly. Cut it out for now and re implement it later down the line.

- Utilt at low percent is punishable on hit. Learn the different weight classes and at which pwercent you can actually utilt them. Otherwise youre gonna have a bad time.

-You airdodge too much

- Stop spot dodging. spot dodge is a hard read tool only

- Dont do full hop bair, and if you happen to do as a punish or something, fast fall after
fast fall your full hop uairs and double jump uairs.

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
+ your usmash landing punishes were good

+ you can actually auto cancel uair which is great. Not many foxs have implemented it yet.

+ youre moving often which is good, staying still or in block for too long will get you opened up for free.

- Some of your throw choices were questionable, you need to put them in positions where you can atempt to convert.throwing them off stage at low percent achieves nothing.

- You do need to work on your approach options and spacing. You sometimes dashed in from the wrong distances and dash attacked too early. Some of your dash grabs needed to be dash shield grabs at some ranges as well.

- Stop using lazers all together for now, its costing you more than its helping.

- Random fsmashes are not worth. even if youre going for a read, if its not gonna kill its not worth the risk of getting hard punished. Fox is light AF

- Stop using side B in neutral. Its not very safe and is unlikely to net you a set up when the opponent is moving around alot. Its a high risk low reward option in neutral. To be used sparingly. Cut it out for now and re implement it later down the line.

- Utilt at low percent is punishable on hit. Learn the different weight classes and at which pwercent you can actually utilt them. Otherwise youre gonna have a bad time.

-You airdodge too much

- Stop spot dodging. spot dodge is a hard read tool only

- Dont do full hop bair, and if you happen to do as a punish or something, fast fall after
fast fall your full hop uairs and double jump uairs.

I barely use lasers, Ally isn't someone I ever faced before and I was pretty afraid, and all those randy fsmashes (even the ones that killed) were misinputs because I wanted to drop shield - run. Side b's I agree were questionable. I don't even full hop bair, though? Unless that was a typo and you meant to SH bair, but that's a safe option even on shield

...I don't airdodge that much either, yes it's an option I use but it's not a habit or something I go for everytime I'm hit.

Thank you for the criticism though! I'll implement a few of these. Some things I did in this set aren't things I normally do though, (if you were to look at any of my other sets from other tournaments you wouldn't see me going for lasers/fsmash misinputs in them) this WAS Ally I was facing and it's obvious I was nervous (best in my country dude) but hopefully I'll do better against him next time. (Which... will actually be tomorrow lol)

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
Also CRZ, watching your set against J. Miller (great game 1 by the way) You should probably work on your option select in a tech chase. I notice you rolling back after a missed tech and I swear Luigi's everywhere always know when you're gonna roll back. Some of your utilt punishes whiffed and you were punished for it as well, something a lot of Foxes have is always using utilt as a punish out of habit (I have that habit sometimes too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7J_K0e0Of8 This is a set I've recently had against Poke (has wins on Ally, M2K etc and I play him a lot because he's from my region and I can't crack his Luigi)
Rewatching this set yes yes I know I'll cut the side B's, they definitely did way more harm then good and they got baited. I also did a few panic rolls and got punished for it, I don't know why but Poke is the only player I know that triggers all my panic options, some criticism here would also be appreciated.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
God dammit SpaceDong, did you forget the double posting rule? It's easier to just edit the post lmao!
And it really isn't a thread where you have to argument for the constructive criticism you're asking for, wouldn't want a flame war to erupt for something as petty.

Also, on that note please note that I won't be updating this thread for a week due to loss in the family.

Last edited:
Top Bottom