• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Netplay and College dont mix well. please help<3

roguehippo

Smash Rookie
So i would like to start of saying this is my first post and dont know if this is completely the right place to post. but when i am trying to play melee with my friends over the computer via netplay i used to be able to play fine when i got to my college.. but now when i try, the connect button where i enter the netplay code just goes grey when i click it and eventually times out. im guessing this is because my college has every single port possible blocked off but then i dont know how it was working before hand. so im really confused and would really love to be able to practice melee with my friends. thanks for the help

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
We don't know how your college handles internet. (For that matter we don't even know what college you attend)

Try consulting someone from your colleges staff.

Balthazar500

Smash Rookie
I have the exact same problem...it started happening after I moved to college too.

What's weird is that I can occasionally connect to someone, but most of the time I get the grayed out Connect button.

I scoured the internet, and it seems that many other people have this issue as well. Unfortunately, no working solution has been proposed yet. I'll let you know if I come across one.

roguehippo

Smash Rookie
its weird that you say that balthazar because i cant connect to ANYONE except one random friend... i guess ill do some research on how we are connecting and ill try to monitor that and maybe i can modify it so we can see why its working and not working.

ReDDeFFect

Smash Cadet
regarding hosting/joining. I have a situation that I am sure some others may have
encountered but they did not research enough to figure out the problem. If someone is in an apartment complex or are using internet at a university, they may find that they are unable to change router settings. These routers also have uPnP disabled so you cannot portmap around them to make UDP port breaking available. (UDP port breaking is what is used by the dolphin netplay code system). So they must connect by TCP. This means a port must be forwarded by the host. If people go into config>general, and set Force netplay listen port to a port they have forwarded, then people who cannot enable UDP port breaking will be able to join. Just a heads up as far as hosting optimization goes.

Yakazi

Smash Rookie
regarding hosting/joining. I have a situation that I am sure some others may have
encountered but they did not research enough to figure out the problem. If someone is in an apartment complex or are using internet at a university, they may find that they are unable to change router settings. These routers also have uPnP disabled so you cannot portmap around them to make UDP port breaking available. (UDP port breaking is what is used by the dolphin netplay code system). So they must connect by TCP. This means a port must be forwarded by the host. If people go into config>general, and set Force netplay listen port to a port they have forwarded, then people who cannot enable UDP port breaking will be able to join. Just a heads up as far as hosting optimization goes.
I know this thread is old, but is this post a solution to continue netplay on a college campus? I'm having the exact same problems as the others that have posted before. Obviously, the dolphin version used now is the 4.0-7161. I'm not sure what options i have

Last edited:

Coyle

Smash Cadet
I know this thread is old, but is this post a solution to continue netplay on a college campus? I'm having the exact same problems as the others that have posted before. Obviously, the dolphin version used now is the 4.0-7161. I'm not sure what options i have
Try it out. It's your best bet. You're able to do this on 7161, yeah.

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
I've been having this problem too. I have been using version 7161 and I don't see the option to force netplay port. Can anyone help because I would really like to use netplay while im at college

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
Should note that that guide is outdated, it's for 4.0-652. You need to instead switch from "Traversal" to "Direct" and enter your port in the host window and check the "Forward Port" box.
Ok so I tried this with about 3 other people and it failed. My college network may be more restrictive then others I guess. Is there any other way to do this? If not I completely understand.

Top Bottom