• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Netflix is Developing a Live Action Zelda TV Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herr Director

Smash Rookie
NNID
Herr_Director
Whoops, didn't see this before posting a separate thread in the A&E forum. My bad.

I'm waiting for an official confirmation from Netflix or Nintendo. If it does happen I seriously hope it's good. It could be the spark that allows video game driven narratives to finally emerge in movies/TV the way comic books have.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
at least Nintendos not rushing into a Live Action Super Mario Series, Cant hate on it till i see how it looks first (If it even does happen)

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm normally not for non-video game adaptations of things. Honestly speaking, I really don't think Zelda would make a good anything but a game. Sure, the lore is there but what good is a detailed world if you don't really have a story to fill it with? 90% of the time in LoZ NPCs aren't really there to drive the narrative but to point you towards your next dungeon.

But you never know. Maybe I'll be surprised. We'll see.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm for it. It's different. Sure, I'd prefer something like this:

But at very least, I'd say the costumes would be great. Really, I'm just happy Nintendo are branching out.

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
I'm for it. It's different. Sure, I'd prefer something like this:

But at very least, I'd say the costumes would be great. Really, I'm just happy Nintendo are branching out.
The only thing is that I don't understand how you can make a movie where the focus is a protagonist who doesnt talk. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a movie in the Zelda universe.

Only I think that keep the adventures of Link to the games, where the protagonist doesn't talk and that feels right.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only thing is that I don't understand how you can make a movie where the focus is a protagonist who doesnt talk. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a movie in the Zelda universe.

Only I think that keep the adventures of Link to the games, where the protagonist doesn't talk and that feels right.
There are plenty of movies and TV shows with silent protagonists. One of my favourite characters in animation, Gromit from Wallace & Gromit, doesn't speak at at all and carries the series along with Wallace. In the feature length film, Curse of the Were Rabbit, Wallace isn't around to speak as much as you'd think due to certain plot points, so Gromit ends up getting more screen time, and despite being silent, he carries the movie perfectly. He isn't just a one dimensional character either, and arguably has more depth than his chatty friend Wallace.

So no, I don't think Link being silent in a movie would cause problems. That being said, I wouldn't mind him speaking so long as the acting is good.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ugh...i'm just not liking the sound of this. Live action films and Nintendo series just don't feel right together.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Netflix has an excellent track record with the projects that they've developed and financed, so I have complete faith in their ability to produce a quality project based on the Legend of Zelda. As with any adaptation, there will need to be changes to maximize the benefits of television instead of gaming. Fans will need to let go of what they think Zelda is, and take a step back and allow Zelda to become what it can be.

finalark

SNORLAX
Thought this was worth posting here. It's an article detailing potential problems Netflix with have with adapting Zelda.

The two biggest points I agree with are that Zelda has no plot and that Link has no character. Off track, story time: I first got into creative writing when I was in middle school. When I first started out I would dedicate tons of my free time to creating these massively detailed settings with every little location and character having a ton of detailed back story to them. However, once I was done with the initial world-building and I went to write a story in said world I suddenly found myself completely drawing a blank. It wasn't until about half way through high school that I realized that no matter how awesome your setting is, no matter how detailed its lore, that doesn't mean **** if you don't have a good story to tell in it.

This is a problem that adapting Zelda to a non-game format is. When you get down to it, every Zelda game is exactly that, a game. The focus is on interesting new mechanics and dungeon first, story (or lack thereof). This is why every LoZ story basically boils down to "Find X things to open Y dungeons then stop Ganondorf/Vaati/Skull Kid from taking over/destroying Hyrule." Yes, there is back story and lore everywhere, but it's not vital to the narrative. When you get down to it, it's all there just for atmosphere and to get you immersed in the game world. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but I hear that they tried to expand on the story in that game so they might be moving in a more story-driving direction. But we'll see.

On the next note, there's Link's character, or lack thereof. Sure, he's got something resembling personality in Wind Waker and a few other titles but for the most part he's a completely blank slate that you're supposed to project yourself onto. Really, ask yourself exactly how much you know about Link. What are his hobbies? Fishing maybe? What's his biggest fear? What does he want out of life? What does he value more? Friends or family? For a video game, this level of undefined characterization is fine. Hell, you can even get away with it in other forms of media depending on the story you want to tell. But if Netflix wants to make a friendly family version of Game of Thrones this is not where to look. As somebody who has read Song of Ice and Fire but has never watched Game of Thrones I can tell you that the books are filled with complex characters with clashing interests, values and desires. Its a series filled with ambiguity that makes the reader question a lot of motivations and whether the characters are wrong or not. This is not something Zelda can provide.

Now, one small thing that article suggests is making an animated series similar to Samurai Jack where Link just wanders around and encounters strange new characters and monsters every episode with a larger overarcing goal that he's working towards. This could actually work perfectly. In Samurai Jack, Jack himself had very little characterization beyond "bad ass Samurai who fights evil." Link could just be "bad ass weaponsmaster who fights evil" in this hypothetical series and as long as they kept the focus in the right place it could work perfectly. Instead of having the attention on complex interactions and relationships instead focus on unique and intriguing locations with memorable antagonists and side characters. Make the whole series animated too so that way it's not limited to what you can do in live action.

Unfortunately, even if they got Netflix to produce this hypothetical animated series I'd be worried about it. With the way the mainstream western animation is these days I'm sure it would get a cult following at best and would probably only see one season. Mostly because western animation would prefer to just make easy-to-produce garbage with LCD jokes, bad animation and zero effort put into the writing instead of promoting genuinely well written and engaging series' with strong characters and an engaging narrative. I think this just became a rant about Nickelodeon.

Anyway, tl;dr version: Zelda will struggle to be a good TV series because it has no plot and Link has no character. Also, Samurai Jack but with Link would be awesome.

Last edited:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't think a lack of plot or a lack of characterization for Link are problems at all, because those are both issues that can be fixed in the writing process for a television series. That criticism always misses that these kinds of projects are adaptations. They're not going to take Ocarina of Time and transpose it to television, they'll use the elements of Zelda to inspire a story that does have characterization and plot. My biggest concern is that short-sighted fans will rebel against the adaptation process, not that the producers of this show won't infuse the Zelda world with characterization and plot.

As for the "family-friendly Game of Thrones" thing, I really think that's just a marketing line that shouldn't be taken seriously at all. There's going to be very clearly defined good and evil in any Zelda adaptation. Although a series where the different races compete to claim the rulership of Hyrule could be pretty amazing.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm pretty mixed about this if it ever does happen. I'm not too sure if making a live-action adaptation (because animation is so irrelevant these days /sarcasm) would do the Zelda series justice. But, it might be a good thing because I hear Netflix's shows are considered good quality, so maybe a live-action Zelda series would be interesting.

Concerning Link, making a silent protagonist work outside of video games isn't exactly hard. Most TV shows or movies have main characters that don't speak all that much or are just completely silent. Best examples of this are Bambi & Dumbo. Dumbo's just a baby elephant, so of course he wouldn't talk, but it just makes the movie much more interesting to me. As for Bambi, he can talk, but not a whole lot. Maybe they should make Link more of a silent type or just how he is in the games. You can make a silent protagonist work.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
This is a very touchy subject and while I want to say it's taboo since we all remember what happened with the LAST adaptation....
Netflix has been very reliable when it comes to original shows. So I'm crossing my fingers that if it's real, they don't butcher it.

Kaprica

Smash Rookie
I was kind of nervous about how this was going to play out at first when I first heard about it. Netflix is pretty good when it comes to their own original series, but I think the main problem will be with how it's going to pull the audience in with its main story line, since the LoZ series relied more on the game play and puzzles to help draw people in.

I've found that Link has some character, at least outside the games. In the manga Link is curious, always hungry, excitable, always willing to help others in need, with a little nudge in the right direction from other characters. I guess he could also be stoic, and heroic, but that's the original problem. It's kind of hard to see him worried about anything else besides Zelda and defeating evil. It's really hard to find a perfect Link, and honestly I'm kind of surprised that Nintendo is willing to risk making it onto the TV again.

I guess what I'm saying is that with the special effects and all, live-action tends to be kind of restrictive when it comes to moves and magical flare. And hopefully, it can give fans a more in-depth plot (or hopefully, a different one) than just saving Hyrule. With TV, it's a lot easier to change a character's personality, and it tends to be a lot less exciting.

I think it's going to have a rough time unless it's exceptionally good.

EDIT: Kinda bumped this on accident without checking the time date, but I hope this isn't too late.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom