• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness tournament stage advice

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ok so I’ve never played in a tournament and I’m planning on attending one next week. Since I’ve mostly been playing online I’m not very familiar with the stages specifically in Ultimate because online is Battlefield or FD

Which stages give Ness the best advantage and would be good counterpicks?

Which stages should I definitely ban? And what other stages give Ness a disadvantage?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Ok so I’ve never played in a tournament and I’m planning on attending one next week. Since I’ve mostly been playing online I’m not very familiar with the stages specifically in Ultimate because online is Battlefield or FD

Which stages give Ness the best advantage and would be good counterpicks?

Which stages should I definitely ban? And what other stages give Ness a disadvantage?
Can you post the ruleset the tournament is using?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’m actually not sure of the rule set, my friend told me about it and I haven’t really researched it too much, but I think it’s pretty standard. I’m not exactly sure of which stages are legal but I’m pretty sure it’s similar to what’s legal in most tournaments. I don’t know how bans and counterpicks will work but I don’t think it’ll be too much different from most tournaments

I just wanna know which stages Ness does really well on and which he does poorly on to make sure I have the biggest advantage possible. Like are there any stages I should immediately ban? And what stages do I have the biggest advantage on?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Flat stages with fewer platforms work best.
Best neutral stages (imo):
FD, Smashville, TnC in that order.
Strike battlefield and then PS2

Best counter pick stages:
KPL, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's island
Ban Castle Siege first and foremost, then Wario Ware.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Flat stages with fewer platforms work best.
Best neutral stages (imo):
FD, Smashville, TnC in that order.
Strike battlefield and then PS2

Best counter pick stages:
KPL, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's island
Ban Castle Siege first and foremost, then Wario Ware.
Thanks! I definitely will keep all this in mind. It’s my first tournament experience so I’m not expecting to win or anything but I’m also not expecting to do badly at all. I know I’m a good player and I know my Ness is hard to deal with which is why I want to make sure I set myself up to win in anyway possible

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Thanks! I definitely will keep all this in mind. It’s my first tournament experience so I’m not expecting to win or anything but I’m also not expecting to do badly at all. I know I’m a good player and I know my Ness is hard to deal with which is why I want to make sure I set myself up to win in anyway possible
Let me give you a couple more tips then.

Tip #1: Never choose your character first.
When you sit down at the console, play on your phone, distract yourself, do whatever. It will be awkward. A lot of players will counter pick the first match if they see you are playing a certain character. If neither of you chooses a character (or they try to change characters after you pick yours), you can call for a double blind pick. You each wisper to a third party (or just write it down) which character you are going to play with. This prevents counter picking the first match.

Edit: Don't counter pick them. If you were going to start with Ness and they choose a character that is a bad MU for Ness, don't change. Don't be that person. But also, don't let them counter pick you.

Tip #2: Most players don't strike or ban stages.
Typically, when you and your opponent are choosing a stage, you just choose a stage to play on. Most of the time it's Smashville. If they say, "Hey, wanna play on BF?". Don't be afraid to say no. Then you can suggest FD, or whatever stage you prefer. If they decline, then start the actual striking process.

Tip #3: Use your bans only when you have too.
Let's say you win the first match. Winners get to ban one of the neutral/counter pick stages. Losers get to choose the next stage. Don't say anything about banning. If they pick Castle Seige, or a stage you really don't want to play, use your ban on that stage. Before choosing, they make ask what stage you want to ban. At this point you have to ban a stage. The reason for this is because people talk, especially if they lose. They'll tell their buddy who you play, habits and what stages you don't like. They do this to give their buddy an advantage when they play you.

Tip #4: Get plenty of sleep the night before.
Your nerves are going to make you do stupid things. Like SD. Like tilt when you meant to smash. You don't want to be tired and nervous.

Tip #5: Eat healthy. Don't eat a bunch of sugary junk food. This can slow your reaction times. Eat healthy and consume the right amount of caffeine for you. Too much may make you jittery, too little may not give you the focus you want. You know your body.

Tip #6: Make friends. Almost everyone I've interacted with at Smash tournaments have been really good guys.

Lastly, the most important tip...
Tip #6: Have fun!
You know those videos where people get really salty and pop off? They aren't there to have fun. They are there to win. When they don't win, they get salty and probably never go back to another tournament, because they "had a bad experience". Don't let the competitiveness of winning ruin your experience of playing a fun game with other people. Just have fun, and I promise you, you'll do better than if you are playing to win.
I hope these help.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Let me give you a couple more tips then.

Tip #1: Never choose your character first.
When you sit down at the console, play on your phone, distract yourself, do whatever. It will be awkward. A lot of players will counter pick the first match if they see you are playing a certain character. If neither of you chooses a character (or they try to change characters after you pick yours), you can call for a double blind pick. You each wisper to a third party (or just write it down) which character you are going to play with. This prevents counter picking the first match.

Edit: Don't counter pick them. If you were going to start with Ness and they choose a character that is a bad MU for Ness, don't change. Don't be that person. But also, don't let them counter pick you.

Tip #2: Most players don't strike or ban stages.
Typically, when you and your opponent are choosing a stage, you just choose a stage to play on. Most of the time it's Smashville. If they say, "Hey, wanna play on BF?". Don't be afraid to say no. Then you can suggest FD, or whatever stage you prefer. If they decline, then start the actual striking process.

Tip #3: Use your bans only when you have too.
Let's say you win the first match. Winners get to ban one of the neutral/counter pick stages. Losers get to choose the next stage. Don't say anything about banning. If they pick Castle Seige, or a stage you really don't want to play, use your ban on that stage. Before choosing, they make ask what stage you want to ban. At this point you have to ban a stage. The reason for this is because people talk, especially if they lose. They'll tell their buddy who you play, habits and what stages you don't like. They do this to give their buddy an advantage when they play you.

Tip #4: Get plenty of sleep the night before.
Your nerves are going to make you do stupid things. Like SD. Like tilt when you meant to smash. You don't want to be tired and nervous.

Tip #5: Eat healthy. Don't eat a bunch of sugary junk food. This can slow your reaction times. Eat healthy and consume the right amount of caffeine for you. Too much may make you jittery, too little may not give you the focus you want. You know your body.

Tip #6: Make friends. Almost everyone I've interacted with at Smash tournaments have been really good guys.

Lastly, the most important tip...
Tip #6: Have fun!
You know those videos where people get really salty and pop off? They aren't there to have fun. They are there to win. When they don't win, they get salty and probably never go back to another tournament, because they "had a bad experience". Don't let the competitiveness of winning ruin your experience of playing a fun game with other people. Just have fun, and I promise you, you'll do better than if you are playing to win.
I hope these help.
Awesome thanks! This advice helps a lot!

Yeah I plan to run Ness the entire tournament no matter what. I’ve already worked on the swordie matchups a lot and there’s no other matchups I’m really worried about (only worried about swordies if they’re taking me to a tri-plat stage really but can still play around it). As competitive as I am I don’t expect to win at all and I’m going to have fun. Yeah I love winning and competing, but winning is secondary to improving and having fun

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Another tip I can offer: when you lose a set, ask your opponent how you could have played better. Most people will be cool about it, and they may have picked on a habit you didn't even realize you had. However, don't solicit advice unless your opponent asks. Unwanted advice will never end in a net positive.

Top Bottom