• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Matchup Help

UCDGhost

Smash Rookie
I happen to be having a lot of trouble with the Ness match-up as Lucario. Unable to approach due to ness's side-b and dash forward-a. Grab's result into either chain grabs or ariel combos. His crouch cancel takes away neutral game combos. I can rarely find an approach, and when I do, Ness often spot dodges and grabs to counter it, or rolls before my approach can hit and just resets the the game to neutral. Its a challenge to say the least.

Its one of the hardest match-ups I've faced so far as a Lucario-main ,which began about 5-6 months ago when I was introduced to Project M.

Any help is appreciated.

Misuse

Smash Cadet
I have a lot of ness' in my area so I totally relate- some big things that I've picked up on are
1. SDI is super important. Almost all of ness' combo starters are multi hit so if you can SDI out of them it helps a lot.
2. DI on his throws is pivitol, DI his down throw down throw and away so the only follow up they'll get is a f-air.
3. Always stay infront of him, you'd much rather dodge a pk fire than get chained by back airs.
4. Pk fire doesn't hit shields, learn to running shield etc.
5. Ness is perfect weight for combos, especially ASC up tilts.
6. His jump and up b are super predicatble and gimpable

These are just a few tips and tricks you have to apply to their play style and tendancies

Also, play very passively and defensive- don't rush into his moves

UCDGhost

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of ness' in my area so I totally relate- some big things that I've picked up on are
1. SDI is super important. Almost all of ness' combo starters are multi hit so if you can SDI out of them it helps a lot.
2. DI on his throws is pivitol, DI his down throw down throw and away so the only follow up they'll get is a f-air.
3. Always stay infront of him, you'd much rather dodge a pk fire than get chained by back airs.

These are just a few tips and tricks you have to apply to their play style and tendancies

Alright, thank you! I'll be sure to use these tips next time I play the Ness.

UCDGhost

Smash Rookie

Recently played the Ness, this helped A TON! Thank you! It helped me feel like I was playing Lucario much more intelligently as well.

Top Bottom