• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' declassified metagame expansion DLC pack is on sale. Essential for all Ness mains!

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I have been playing Ness exclusively for probably around a half a year now (I'll admit I switch for fun, but never for "srs bsns") and I am officially declaring my loyalty to Ness as my Melee main forever and ever. Hashtag BFFs 4 lyfe.

I really hope my discoveries are not invalidated by my lack of experience against super high-level players and I do not feel Ness as a character has potential to really win against them if they're playing for money. My experience level is mainly online netplay and friendlies at the Super Arcade on Sundays. I have faced opponents of many different skill levels, I have been 4-stocked and given 4-stocks as well. That being said, I'd still like to share with you some really important mechanics that I honestly haven't seen too many Ness mains explore in a tournament setting (not like there isn't a plethora of good Ness videos online... right guys? Guys? *sadface*).

Movement:
Seriously, If I'm ever practicing Ness by myself I will do the single-player vs. mode glitch and practice tech for hours. There is so much potential for Ness as a DJC character that the other three DJC characters don't have. Fun fact: all of Ness' aerials can be auto-canceled before and after the hitbox activates. What does this mean? Spazz the frick out! Don't discount L-canceling because you still need it for landing during the active frames, but if you know the frame data there is the potential to be surprisingly unpredictable. Ness at a high level takes really fast fingers arguably on par with spacies depending on what you're trying to do, but I encourage Ness mains to get better at tech skill.

Neutral Game:
What's your favorite food? Spam! Haha! Get it? It's a reference to Earthbound, you know, in the beginning, haha... oh, ok I'll stop. But seriously, spam. Like I was saying earlier, you need to constantly be moving, and part of this movement is spam. Fair spam, DJC-FF-AC Dair spam (yay more acronyms), Uair spam. Even spam DJC PK Fire if it's safe, it gives them something to think about. However, through this chaos is a sense of control. Sometimes spam-camping across the stage can be a taunt to approach. Show them that you know your options and that Ness isn't free.

DJC Momentum Manipulation:
Have you ever tried jumping forward then holding back and double jumping? The 4 DJC character are unique because their double jump sends them downward and horizontal initially before upward. The direction of the horizontal velocity is determined by the direction you're holding when you initiate the DJ. Because of this, you have MUCH greater control of your aerial movement than most characters, notably an ease of execution for low aerials that would normally have to be short-hopped. Another notable feature is the horizontal movement and how you basically have a mini Falcon moonwalk-Bair at your disposal. This is SUPER important for getting sweet-spot Bair hits after a bait or during a combo. Most players unfamiliar with the matchup (which fortunately for us is most of the players) will underestimate the distance that can be covered by a well-executed DJC horizontal Bair.

PK Thunder is Real:
I'd like to give a big shoutout to my Ness sensei, Simna, for teaching me the ways of PK Thunder. I still need experience to fully understand the potential of PKT since my playstyle is more PKF based. However, both options are equally as strong and they both have their uses. I believe that mindgames are probably around 50% of Ness' metagame, and PKT if used correctly can really leave the opponent scratching their head. PKT juggling works well on floaty characters and Marth and Sheik are tall enough that PKT can shield spike sometimes, notably when coming from underneath a platform. Be careful when using PKT to gimp though, you may end up saving them if you're not aware of the smash DI distance.

Changing Playstyles (contributed by Double Helix):
One thing that I have found VERY helpful in the matchups that nobody likes to play as Ness (example: Peach. Sadly, it doesn't work as well against Sheik, that is a neutral game issue) is to know when to play like a fast faller and when to play like a floaty. I use Ness's wavedash dance (I guess you would call it) to choose which direction I am facing for spacing issues, whether I want a momentum shifted DJC bair or a retreating fair, I can have whatever I want. Knowing when to play as a floaty (and doing it, which is the hard part since I love comboing people) has made the awful awful matchups have one less awful, and some awful matchups seem more 40:60 than 25:75 (if we must boil it down to numbers). Playing like a floaty the entire match with a moveset as underwhelming (in terms of knock-back) as Ness' makes for a long match and very mentally draining. It is like watching Hbox vs Armada when it is Jiggs vs Young Link, but you are playing Ness and it can actually end faster than that because you don't play to the timer, you just play to cover Ness' weaknesses, which can sometimes be the same thing.

To be continued...
I'll update this thread later if I can think of anything else. Maybe add some videos, etc. Let me know what you think so far and input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I'm stealing first spot on this thread just in case I run out of room. Deal with it.

Sporks

Smash Rookie
NNID
illudicris
maybe it's just me, but I've found that ness' wavedash comes out fast enough and can be spammed to the point that I can use it for mindgames and punishes with wavedash DJC fairs bairs etc.

i've also been wavedashing forward and back repeatedly as a sort of 'wavedash without turning' in some attempt to basically dashdance into a tippered bat without pivoting (it might seem inferior to pivoting, but try it out)

it also allows more opportunities for mindgames while approaching, esp. with the momentum manipulation you mentioned (which is a definite plus considering his lack of reliable approaches)

i use X>R to wavedash and X>Tap>Z to djc aerial if anybody asks

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Yeah, I've seen Hungrybox do that wavedash dance thing you're talking about. I believe his starting jump animation is 4 frames long. I usually like to do a hybrid wavedash dashdance thing, it's less stressful on my fingers and allows me more control over pivoting.

After thinking about it, It seems to me like Ness relies completely on mindgames during the neutral game, and I love that he has an anti-camping mechanism against spacies (PSI Shield) even though it's still not that great.

Sporks

Smash Rookie
NNID
illudicris
Ness' wavedash is a bit of a double edged sword too though, unless you're keeping pressure with it or making a quick escape, you lose all previous pressure and spacing you had on them, especially against spacies and often marth.

Yeah, if you can't bait them into retreating fairs or something else to tack on damage, usually you're gonna have a hard time (unless you manage to punish with a quick grab or something to combo them).

I've also found in my recent matches (today) that if you can't keep them close and can't keep landing hits, you're dead meat; esp. against projectiles (link/samus/falco sometimes) or disjointed hitboxes that outspace you easily (marth+tippers/link).

Another thing is that if you can get an early lead (even against experienced players) they begin to panic and become very predictable, since they don't know the matchup and just go for common killmoves (eg. marths repeating f-smashes, falcons spamming knees).

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
So...I am gonna try to add something to this (if you don't mind, not like I am giving you much choice though). One thing that I have found VERY helpful in the matchups that nobody likes to play as Ness (example: Peach. Sadly, it doesn't work as well against Sheik, that is a neutral game issue) is to know when to play like a fast faller and when to play like a floaty. I use Ness's wavedash dance (I guess you would call it) to choose which direction I am facing for spacing issues, whether I want a momentum shifted DJC bair or a retreating fair, I can have whatever I want. Knowing when to play as a floaty (and doing it, which is the hard part since I love comboing people) has made the awful awful matchups have one less awful, and some awful matchups seem more 40:60 than 25:75 (if we must boil it down to numbers). Playing like a floaty the entire match with a moveset as underwhelming (in terms of knock-back) as Ness' makes for a long match and very mentally draining. It is like watching Hbox vs Armada when it is Jiggs vs Young Link, but you are playing Ness and it can actually end faster than that because you don't play to the timer, you just play to cover Ness' weaknesses, which can sometimes be the same thing.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Yes, that is great advice. I noticed that matchup knowledge is huge when it comes to Ness, because something about him and the way he approaches gets you utterly destroyed if you don't switch up your style for each character. I feel I have to adapt a much slower style when I play Marth for example, but I can go full ham on spacies and falcon. That's what's cool about Ness though, he has a lot of restrictions but ultimately a lot of ways to play around those restrictions. I will add your tips to the main post and give you credit if you want.

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
This thread is really making me want to dust off my Ness. I've been telling people for so long that he isn't garbage tier and, unlike other characters, can actually PERFORM WELL with momentum. Although, with his lack of killing power and such, I can never see him rising above or too far above Mario and the Links. But if Ness gets the proper representation in the community (Kind of like how aMSa's performance is making the world rethink Yoshi), I can see him going a LONG way.
:nessmelee:!

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Yes, that is great advice. I noticed that matchup knowledge is huge when it comes to Ness, because something about him and the way he approaches gets you utterly destroyed if you don't switch up your style for each character. I feel I have to adapt a much slower style when I play Marth for example, but I can go full ham on spacies and falcon. That's what's cool about Ness though, he has a lot of restrictions but ultimately a lot of ways to play around those restrictions. I will add your tips to the main post and give you credit if you want.
The thing is, the Marth matchup is QUITE weird, or at least the way I play him is a bit weird. When I am in the Marth matchup, I play him like a fast faller once I get in, but some of the combos you use against him at higher percents are combos you would use on floaties. Early percent he flies a bit like Falcon, but later it becomes more like Peach. That is the point that you can't over-extend because that sword out-spaces your fair.

Just remember to also do what you do best sometimes. I am very very content to play slowly, and, while I don't play to the timer, in some matchups my games tend to go 6+ minutes.

Also, feel free to use my tips wherever you feel necessary.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Although, with his lack of killing power and such, I can never see him rising above or too far above Mario and the Links.
Ness actually has amazing kill power. He has a sweetspot Bair, the statistically proven best backthrow in the game, a disrespectful meteor smash, a homerun bat, PK Fire gimps, and let's not forget about PK Flash.

The main problem is not his power, it's the risk-reward factor of landing these that is really lame. Barely anything he does is safe and you must predict reads upon reads just to get a decent combo. At least his option coverage is good.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
How are you using pk fire. It's mostly useless and too risky for me to ever use it...

Same goes for down b, if you use it against spacies they have enough speed to punish your lag and smack you.

Sporks

Smash Rookie
NNID
illudicris
PK Fire can be DJC'ed to gimp people off the ledge with it, or can be used as a surprise mix-up tactic (since it doesn't serve much purpose otherwise).

The down special (PK Magnet, correct me if I'm wrong) isn't something that you should use in combat at all, besides situations (albeit rare) in teams in which you would be having your ally patch you up.

However, as Gatoray previously mentioned, the risk-reward of landing these, even if executed perfectly, is not in your favour; whereas if you're proficient in reading and baiting your opponent and/or have good teamwork co-operation in doubles, you'll find that Ness is a challenging high skill-cap character in spite of his pitiful tier list position.

TyZebra

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've also dusted off the Ness and tried playing him with a more technical style. I think he has a lot of potential too. One thing I've found helpful is to watch aMSa 's DJC shenanigans and try and copy them (at least for movement).

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Yeah I've also dusted off the Ness and tried playing him with a more technical style. I think he has a lot of potential too. One thing I've found helpful is to watch aMSa 's DJC shenanigans and try and copy them (at least for movement).
Some of the best technical muscle memory tools to have is DJC -> FF Fair or Bair -> L cancel. Practice those and practice both forwards and backwards DJC movement options since you can change your lateral direction in mid-air with your double jump. Also, a good way to get DJC down is to practice DJC wavedashes. They're practically useless, but really fun to do and show off with.

Top Bottom