• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness combo options

saturday night smash

Smash Cadet
I'm maining ness and I want more combos what are some options. I know about ness dthrow to fair opponents have started to predict it what are some different options

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Smash 4 doesn't have much true combos, but there are alot of chances to follow-up with stuff.

Down Throw to Fair strings will lead into the most damage, but if that is getting predicted then you should try Down Throw to Up Air if you can. You can also end the attack string with a PK Thunder.

You can follow-up PK Fire with a grab (if enemy shields or stays grounded), a Dash Attack, or a Nair (if enemy escapes into the air).

PK Thunder juggling is a good follow-up to practice. Try to loop the PK Thunder into the direction your opponent is falling in order to catch them even if they air dodge. Make sure to protect your body with the Thunder. Try doing PKT2 (the body slam) into them just as the opponent is landing.

At low percents, you can also try chaining a landing Up Air into Up Tilts into more Up Airs.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I do this a decent amount but it's more of a string, but it can work seriously well. Best at low percents of course, very easy to pull off against big characters:
SHFF Uair > Utilt > Nair (or Uair and end it) > Fair or Bair depending on their DI
You can also just keep going with Uair > Nair in the best situations.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This should pretty much cover Ness' combos. Arranged by overall usefulness (IMO). If it's yellow, then those hits don't technically combo in all situations, but are very easily set up and may be difficult to avoid.

PKF, grab
Dthrow, fair, DJ fair, fair, PKT (if still above stage)
Dthrow, uair (dependent on DI)
Uthrow, PKT

PKT (edugeguard, popping them back just above the stage), any aerial of your choice
Uair, utilt, nair
Uair, grab, dthrow (low percents only)

Dtilt trip, fsmash
Dtilt trip, grab

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't believe in combos in this game. I call them "set ups" now. You can do this on the platform of Battlefield, for sure, and a few other areas that have platforms, but some might not work, so it's best you test these tricks on any stage with platforms just to be sure. Here is what you do:

When knocked off by neutral air, characters will fall back only at 0-12% damage.
When knocked off by back air, characters will fall back only at 0-6%.

Bair > FF > nair
Bair > FF > uair > u-smash
Bair > FF > uair > grab > d-throw > fair (might be able to pull off a few afterwards)*
Bair > FF > jab x2 > PKF > SH > nair
Bair > FF > jab x2 > PKF > grab > any throw
Nair > FF > jab x2 > PKF > ?

Try these on every stage with platforms in Training Mode to see which ones work and which ones don't. I've tried these on a few, such as Brinstar's right platform and couldn't perform these because Mario would jump out of the animation, whereas on platforms like the one on Battlefield, he falls back and takes the hits. I don't have a Wii U, so I can't test them for you. FF, or fast falling, is important with these, because if you miss that opportunity, which is quite small, then your opponent will be able to move freely. Remember, these aren't all that practical, but you might be able to make some use of them.

*When you come to the up air for the third option, your opponent can move out of reach of your grab. If you can land this one, however, you might be able to put 48% on them, and that's just on Mario. A bigger character might take more.

PsychicHero

Smash Rookie
One combo I like to do is Pk fire>Dtilt>Pk fire>grab>pummel downthrow>fair>fair

Usually works on heavyweight characters like DK. Also Dtilt seems underrated it does cause tripping and leaves opponents to Pk fire

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dtilt really just pushes people out of PK Fire a lot of the time. It's safer just to go for the grab.

Despite what it looks like also, dtilt does NOT combo into itself if it doesn't trip. You can't just mash it, people can shield between the hits. The stun is so pitifully short that if it doesn't trip, you may be left open to counter attack. If it had a bit more stun, or at least a bit more range it'd be better.

Okey24

Smash Rookie
I usually start with dthrow to fair then di fro of them then dsmash it does a good 26 percent and depending on di you can follow up with uair b4 dsmash

Top Bottom