• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Buff Ideas (3.0.0)

Bcinq

Smash Rookie
I wanted to create this thread to share buff ideas (if you want nerfs, idk why you think that, but i think nothing needs to get nerfed for Ness)

Lemme start with a easy one: PK Flash
PK flash already got size and speed buffs, but at the cost of knockback and damage.
The move is still a mediocre edgeguard tool and is situational onstage.
id say giving it its old kill power, as making it faster takes its identity out of it, and just makes it a copy paste pk freeze that is worse.
So yeah plz buff.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
I think Ness is in a pretty good spot. To me I think they should just leave him alone. All his moves work pretty well he does a ton of damage and from what I have seen and played against kills pretty easily.

Bcinq

Smash Rookie
I think Ness is in a pretty good spot. To me I think they should just leave him alone. All his moves work pretty well he does a ton of damage and from what I have seen and played against kills pretty easily.
i do not necessarily agree with that, but i see where your point comes from and i respect it.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Assuming the goal is to make Ness top tier, I would say that it wouldn't take much. Increase the range on his aerials by a little bit, shave a frame of vulnerability off his directional airdodge, and increase his air speed a bit. The range and speed increase would mostly just be a quality of life change against swords, and would make his aggressive options even more oppressive while the airdodge buff makes his triple jump even better than it already is. Finally, increase Ness's grab range a bit and shave a frame of startup off his dash grab. Easy top tier.

Quality of life changes I want:
- make down smash's multihits connect better. It seems to whiff a lot against grounded opponents right behind Ness.
- make it so the height of PK flash's arc can be manipulated by pressing up/down on the control stick. This would go a long way in making it more reliable.

N8than

Smash Apprentice
They should just make his dash and air speed much faster, slightly increase his grab range and attack range, and make his PSI Magnet a better option against projectiles (make it able to either reflect normal projectiles or make its hitbox able to better clank with the projectiles).

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ness buff 3.0 wish list:
  1. Make Ness' grab range like it was in Sm4sh. It currently feels like his Melee grab. And back throw feels like it was nerfed. So give him a better grab.
  2. Make PK Thunder 2 have more knockback. I've landed this attack on other players and most of the time they survived. It's a high risk, high reward attack. Why reduce the knock back? If it's the same as it was in Sm4sh, please provide proof, because it feels like it was nerfed.
  3. Give up tilt a tad more horizontal range like it was in Sm4sh. I can stand next to an opponent and completely whiff.
  4. Give up air a better auto-link angle, that way people stop falling out of this attack. I've lost matches because of this.

Last edited:

Grizz.c

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
I wanted to create this thread to share buff ideas (if you want nerfs, idk why you think that, but i think nothing needs to get nerfed for Ness)

PK flash already got size and speed buffs, but at the cost of knockback and damage.
id say giving it its old kill power, as making it faster takes its identity out of it, and just makes it a copy paste pk freeze that is worse.
So yeah plz buff.
I would rather see a sheik buff or someone who is low tier but has a super high skill ceiling because right now you have to work hard then other characters to get percent and then sheik has **** kill moves. I think that ness should not be a priority for a buff.

So yeah plz buff.
ness is stupid buff a character that is not ****ing gay

Uffe

Smash Hero
ness is stupid buff a character that is not ****ing gay
This about Ness 3.0 buffs, not Sheik, not Bayo, not Rosa, not whoever else. Make the same kind of topic on the Sheik forums since you think she deserves any.

Bcinq

Smash Rookie
Ness buff 3.0 wish list:
  1. Make Ness' grab range like it was in Sm4sh. It currently feels like his Melee grab. And back throw feels like it was nerfed. So give him a better grab.
  2. Make PK Thunder 2 have more knockback. I've landed this attack on other players and most of the time they survived. It's a high risk, high reward attack. Why reduce the knock back? If it's the same as it was in Sm4sh, please provide proof, because it feels like it was nerfed.
  3. Give up tilt a tad more horizontal range like it was in Sm4sh. I can stand next to an opponent and completely whiff.
  4. Give up air a better auto-link angle, that way people stop falling out of this attack. I've lost matches because of this.
About PKT knockback nerf that is partly true (but this is minor) it used to send you towards the closest blastzone on a 180 degree angle (from what i know and have happened and seen, correct if wrong), and he lost this (for example if you hit somebody by the ledge but aimed to the opposite side and hit yourself towards the stage it would send them too towards the stage, meaning more space to travel meaning a chance of survival.)
There have been no Nerfs to backthrow.

Uffe

Smash Hero
About PKT knockback nerf that is partly true (but this is minor) it used to send you towards the closest blastzone on a 180 degree angle (from what i know and have happened and seen, correct if wrong), and he lost this (for example if you hit somebody by the ledge but aimed to the opposite side and hit yourself towards the stage it would send them too towards the stage, meaning more space to travel meaning a chance of survival.)
There have been no Nerfs to backthrow.
Really? Back throw doesn't kill like I remember it. I even watched Awestin's Ness vs Gyo's Richter, and I think Ness was at 150%, and Gyo was over 100% as well. Center stage on Pokemon Stadium 2, Richter survived a b-throw. I don't know. Either way, I still wish Ness had a better grab range.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
These are gonna be unrealistic and I highly doubt we see a Ness buff but

-Make Ness’s aerial disjoints a little bigger so he could compete better with swords
-Keep Ness’s foward tilt the same in frame data, knock back, and damage but make it into the disjointed bat
-Give Ness’s dtilt hit stun to improve his ground game and give him combos off of it
-Make it so the ball of PK Thunder is ungimpable until it hits Ness’s body
-Make magnet come out on frame 5
-Increase his grab range

That would probably be too op tho

RandomAdam

Smash Cadet
I don't see why Ness would need to be buffed, he's already one of the most annoying characters to deal with. In terms of buffs just make his aerials a little more ranged and make it easier to control recovery

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Show me where the PK Fire touched you.
I wish there was a laugh react

I don't see why Ness would need to be buffed, he's already one of the most annoying characters to deal with. In terms of buffs just make his aerials a little more ranged and make it easier to control recovery
He probably won’t be buffed it’s a wishlist

And if you made it “easier” to control PK Thunder it would take away a ton of utility like punishing people for airdodging it by looping back around, quick PKT2 reads, etc...you’d have to make it slower to make it “easier” to control (it’s not hard to control on the first place) which would take away a ton of its utiltity which would esstentially make it a pretty big nerf

Besides you shouldn’t be primarily recovering with PK Thunder anyway. You should be using your jump+air dodge to recover and Pk Thunder as a last resort

Last edited:

Grizz.c

Smash Rookie
Ness will not get a buff lol y make a annoying character better. That would be a dum move

Bcinq

Smash Rookie
Ness will not get a buff lol y make a annoying character better. That would be a dum move
mate learn the matchup and get off this thread if you want to complain.
This are buff IDEAS thread this is not a thread about "ness needs buffs"
I do not see Ness getting buffs apart from dair and Pk flash realistically and maybe f-tilt.
I do not see ness as annoying unless you cannot dodge or sdi a laggy telegraphed move or got gimped early.
plus they buffed link, TL, sonic and snake (ez matchup btw) in 2.0.0 so yeah... (ness still aint annoying tho.)

Grizz.c

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
mate learn the matchup and get off this thread if you want to complain.
This are buff IDEAS thread this is not a thread about "ness needs buffs"
I do not see Ness getting buffs apart from dair and Pk flash realistically and maybe f-tilt.
I do not see ness as annoying unless you cannot dodge or sdi a laggy telegraphed move or got gimped early.
plus they buffed link, TL, sonic and snake (ez matchup btw) in 2.0.0 so yeah... (ness still aint annoying tho.)
Ness is annoying look at zeros vid on youtube with the title l most annoying character online with ness as the thumbnail so ya "mate" sub par to na lol eu trash besides leffen and armada if it was not for Sweden eu would hot trash which it kinda is not including Sweden lol

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Toxic people like this Grizz.c fellow aren’t worth interacting with. Don’t respond, just report and ignore.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness is annoying look at zeros vid on youtube with the title l most annoying character online with ness as the thumbnail so ya "mate" sub par to na lol eu trash besides leffen and armada if it was not for Sweden eu would hot trash which it kinda is not including Sweden lol
Did you watch the video? It was a parody

The reason for not buffing Ness is that he’s legimately a very good character and doesn’t really need buffs. It has nothing to do with him being “annoying”

Also guys, I know it’s annoying but we need to stop caring about the perception of Ness being an “annoying” and “brain dead” character. Let people think what they want, we know what’s true, top players know what’s true. The only people who view Ness as the most annoying character in the game are low to mid level players who don’t know how to deal with the options in Ness’s kit. A lot of them which are punishable

D

Deleted member

The one and only buff ness needs is a wall jump. How this poor man has gone 5 games without one is criminal.

Top Bottom