• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness batters up! Ness Smash Switch Discussion

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
He seems about on par with how he was in Smash 4. I'm curious to see if his Uair is better or worse than his old one.

If it doesn't have the appropriate timing on it, the match starts to get focus at about 3:49:50. In this match between Ness and Pit, PK Flash does seem faster, and his Up Smash killed Pit when Pit was at 104%,
Thanks, it was hard to find footage of Ness winning, but we still haven't seen the other 2 victory poses. Same victory theme though.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Thanks, it was hard to find footage of Ness winning, but we still haven't seen the other 2 victory poses. Same victory theme though.
He's definitely one of the lesser played characters in the demo. But at the very least, the matches that are available, it's nice to be able to see how he's changed. Like I'm glad his new Uair can kill like his old one, and I love that his Up Smash seems to have gotten buffed and now seems to be a decent kill option. Nair also has a bit more range with the PSI effects. I imagine B-throw and Bair will remain kill moves.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I went to Nintendo NY a couple of days ago and tested Ness. Here are some notes of mine.View attachment 148521
Thanks for this. This is very useful. I knew PK Flash became faster. Now that he doesn't go into Free Fall by using it + it's increased speed, I could see it being used on occasions for off-stage shenanigans, or even as an edgeguard. I figured Bair and B-throw would remain kill moves. But his Bair is actually faster? That's great. Also his recovery goes farther than last game now? Also cool. Magnet did get buffed a bit I noticed as well. I was very pleased to see that short hop into Uair can hit grounded opponents. Dthrow > Fair > Uair seems like a pretty neat combo to rack up nice damage.

All in all, this looks very pleasing and exciting. Ness seems very fun to play.

Last edited:

Trill64

Smash Rookie
I'm loving this ness after seeing this thread, I was worried watching those trash ness' on YouTube.

All that said let me ask these quests:

Since there is no freefall after pk Flash and its faster. Is it as powerful as it was in sm4sh?

Is it just the pk effect on nair that somehow makes it look slower or is that just me? (that might be me).

Is there still all that hellacious ending lag on an aerial Pk fire???

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
There seems to be more startup lag on PK Fire than Endlag but I'm not completely sure. Either way, with all the stuff Lochy has said, Ness is shaping up to be even cleaner in his style and gameplay than he was in Smash 4. Lochy Lochy You said you were testing and somebody was testing too. You and that other person both were testing Ness?

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
There seems to be more startup lag on PK Fire than Endlag but I'm not completely sure. Either way, with all the stuff Lochy has said, Ness is shaping up to be even cleaner in his style and gameplay than he was in Smash 4. Lochy Lochy You said you were testing and somebody was testing too. You and that other person both were testing Ness?
No. The other guy was testing Inkling. I did find out that Ness can absorb Inkling's splattershot ink. I didn't get to test if he could absorb ink bombs.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I'm loving this ness after seeing this thread, I was worried watching those trash ness' on YouTube.

All that said let me ask these quests:

Since there is no freefall after pk Flash and its faster. Is it as powerful as it was in sm4sh?

Is it just the pk effect on nair that somehow makes it look slower or is that just me? (that might be me).

Is there still all that hellacious ending lag on an aerial Pk fire???
Flash is significantly weaker but moves hella fast and does around 20%.

Nair didn't feel slower and the range feels bigger. Also psi properties in smash 4 meant more hitstun. So if this is true for SSBU then it really got an upgrade.

I never got to test aerial pk fire.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Thanks Lochy. And that makes sense. Ness vs. Pit match had PK Flash land twice on Pit and it didn't kill. It's definitely been nerfed in terms of power (though it still dealing around 20% still gives it some power) but in exchange for making it noticeably faster. I'll take it.

I got to see the Bair in some video. It definitely seems to be a bit faster than it used to be.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
So far, I don't see Ness being viable in this game, Even with a few buffs, he is still very gimpable in this game. His down-throw one of his combo tools has gotten a nerf for now. There's still launch day to find out he is viable for now, plus most characters weren't playable in the demo.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Thanks for putting my ness info on Reddit MysticKnives MysticKnives it helps to get the info out to other people.
No problem.

So far, I don't see Ness being viable in this game, Even with a few buffs, he is still very gimpable in this game. His down-throw one of his combo tools has gotten a nerf for now. There's still launch day to find out he is viable for now, plus most characters weren't playable in the demo.
I honestly see him being around where he was before. In the general mid tier area. He was mid tier last time, and despite his strengths, most of the top and high tiers were bad matchups for him. Despite that, he's still got a fair amount of representation in the competitive scene and people who played him got decent placements. I don't see him being great, or amazing. Though I do agree, if the nerf to his Dthrow stays, that is one less reliable combo, something quite vital to Ness' kit.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Here's some more footage of Ness; not sure if it's been posted already. That slow motion animation for a successful PSI Thunder hit is nice though.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Saw that video. Japan seems to have on average better Ness players than the West. Just going off the video, Ness definitely seems faster than before. PK Thunder 2 seems to travel farther as well. Video confirms things that Lochy managed to test. Scoring those two PKT2 kills, and then edguarding with PK Fire was nice.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Ness only swings once in his Bat victory pose this time around. We're getting much better Ness footage compared to E3.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Ness only swings once in his Bat victory pose this time around.
From that description I thought it would take some getting used to, but now he charges up so it looks pretty cool! I'm glad that we're seeing some more Ness matches, I've been waiting to see more gameplay of him!

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Hi SmashBoards! I'm a new user here but I've been playing Smash since I got the N64 version for my 14th birthday. I did a Smash-themed webcomic for several years (Brawl in the Family) that you might've seen at some point or another.

Ness has always been my go-to guy and one of my mains in every SSB game, so naturally I'm curious to see what tweaks he's gotten this time around. Like with Melee, I'm hoping the directional air dodge gives him a sort of mini "third jump" so that not every situation will require recovering with PK Thunder 2. Otherwise, I think he felt great in SSB4 and doesn't need too many adjustments, although I do love the extra visual flair on his PSI moves this time around. The EarthBound fan in me is pleased.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Hi SmashBoards! I'm a new user here but I've been playing Smash since I got the N64 version for my 14th birthday. I did a Smash-themed webcomic for several years (Brawl in the Family) that you might've seen at some point or another.

Ness has always been my go-to guy and one of my mains in every SSB game, so naturally I'm curious to see what tweaks he's gotten this time around. Like with Melee, I'm hoping the directional air dodge gives him a sort of mini "third jump" so that not every situation will require recovering with PK Thunder 2. Otherwise, I think he felt great in SSB4 and doesn't need too many adjustments, although I do love the extra visual flair on his PSI moves this time around. The EarthBound fan in me is pleased.
Hot damn, we got a celebrity boys! I religiously read Brawl in the Family and used to be a member on the BitF forums.

I guess this is as good as a time as any to say, I really hope the Twoson theme makes it into Smash this time. It's by far my favorite track in EarthBound and one of my favorite pieces of gaming music in general.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Hot damn, we got a celebrity boys! I religiously read Brawl in the Family and used to be a member on the BitF forums.
Oh, a user from the BitF forum days! Glad you enjoyed the comic. And yeah, I've always really liked the Twoson theme as well; it's very nostalgic-feeling. I'm excited to see what new MOTHER songs show up in the game period.

How about Ninten as a Ness echo fighter
With a few visual distinctions to make him stand out from Ness (maybe an altered color scheme and the scarf that's commonly seen in fan-art), this could work nicely. Each of the main boys from the MOTHER trilogy getting repped.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Oh, a user from the BitF forum days! Glad you enjoyed the comic. And yeah, I've always really liked the Twoson theme as well; it's very nostalgic-feeling. I'm excited to see what new MOTHER songs show up in the game period.
I'm sure as a fellow fan of the Mother series, you've noticed that Ramblin' Evil Mushroom is going to appear in some capacity in Smash Ultimate. Any thoughts on what it is?

I personally believe it's an assist trophy (and I am not looking forward to getting it knowing what it does in EarthBound) but it could be a regular item as well. No way of knowing yet, I suppose.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745

oh wow I remember BitF! Hi

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure as a fellow fan of the Mother series, you've noticed that Ramblin' Evil Mushroom is going to appear in some capacity in Smash Ultimate. Any thoughts on what it is?

I personally believe it's an assist trophy (and I am not looking forward to getting it knowing what it does in EarthBound) but it could be a regular item as well. No way of knowing yet, I suppose.
I'm curious about the one screen we have of the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom. It certainly won't be playable, but since it hasn't shown up as an Assist Trophy yet, and the environment seems to be a bit of a mystery, I'm hoping it's a stage hazard! I'm always up for new MOTHER/EarthBound stages and music.

There's definitely a good chance it's an AT or item as well though. In any case, I think its effects are easy to guess--it'll probably Mashroomize a nearby player, reversing their controls for a while.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I'm curious about the one screen we have of the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom. It certainly won't be playable, but since it hasn't shown up as an Assist Trophy yet, and the environment seems to be a bit of a mystery, I'm hoping it's a stage hazard! I'm always up for new MOTHER/EarthBound stages and music.

There's definitely a good chance it's an AT or item as well though. In any case, I think its effects are easy to guess--it'll probably Mashroomize a nearby player, reversing their controls for a while.
Apparently, it's been confirmed the stage is actually Gaur Plain.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice

Loved the comic! The EB visual nods are pleasing to all fans of that game, really nice to see Ness looking more "Earthbound-y" with his specials.

How about Ninten as a Ness echo fighter
I'd love that personally. Unlikely, but yes please.

I dunno, I don't think gimpable necessarily means unviable, dthrow > FAir still works and hopefully we'll have DAir as a combo starter again and all the good mindgames and mixups we could have with that + dair cancelling (hup-cancelling anyone?). Away from hypotheses, all his major tools are still intact and in a lot of cases appear to be better.
It seems unlikely that he'll be particularly meta, but he's looking solid so far, certainly usable, and I'm looking forward to seeing how his playstyle will adapt for SSBU.

D

Deleted member 396530

Hi everyone! Now that characters have been officially revealed, I'm going to close this speculative thread. Feel free to head on over to the social thread to celebrate Ness's return :)

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hi everyone! Now that characters have been officially revealed, I'm going to close this speculative thread. Feel free to head on over to the social thread to celebrate Ness's return :)
This thread is not closing just because it has been confirmed. Now it can act more like a social for this subforum. Besides, this thread is not yours to request that it be closed.

D

Deleted member 396530

This thread is not closing just because it has been confirmed. Now it can act more like a social for this subforum. Besides, this thread is not yours to request that it be closed.
Alice! close it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no social
i am making a request to close it!

Top Bottom