• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness batters up! Ness Smash Switch Discussion

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

SMAAAAssssh! Well, I'm not worried weather or not he'll be cut since he is one of the Original 12 fighters. Though is there really much to change about Ness? I think he should get some buffs if his tournament results and tier placement do get worse in the future. Maybe at least give him a Fuzzy Pickles taunt.

Please fix his down air though, it has been nerfed overall from 64 to Sm4sh from increasing Startup time to down right to weakening the power of the dair even though you could of just fixed it by using a knockback growth system like most meteor smashes. What about giving back his Djc on his air attacks Mewtwo and Lucas doesn't need this as much as Ness, though his landing lag will have to be altered if you give him this. Or you can make Ness auto cancel his air attacks somewhat in the middle of active hitbox frames.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
There's literally no reason to worry about Ness' inclusion. Just hope they give him a bit more speed and kill opportunities in the next game though.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
My all time favourite main Smash character! Ness. Mah boii ain't going nowhere. I think he even was amongst the silhouettes.

Anyways, waiting patiently for Ness to be confirmed like any other.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be too concerned! :) Ness is one of the original 12, and has been in every single Smash game.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, my favorite character was already in the teaser. He's not going anywhere. I do hope that his mobility gets increased and he gets his DJC back.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ness is a character I have neglected for about 15 years. I really started enjoying him in Project M and that led to me playing him quite a bit in Smash 4. I hope he keeps that "flow." Because I recall hating him in 64 and Melee. I just finished Earthbound for the first time, and while I am a little disappointed it offered little in regard to Ness, I guess that makes me appreciate his Smash incarnation even more.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Would it be okay for the devs to give him vertical momentum when he loses his PK Thunder, its too easy to take it away from him. It would require reading Ness movements after the player has lost it. I heard PM has done somethings to help Ness' recovery. Or give Ness damage or knockback based armor during his PK Thunder 1. But they can do both.PK Flash is practically useless if your opponent can Shield it when its too slow.

Ness is a character I have neglected for about 15 years. I really started enjoying him in Project M and that led to me playing him quite a bit in Smash 4. I hope he keeps that "flow." Because I recall hating him in 64 and Melee. I just finished Earthbound for the first time, and while I am a little disappointed it offered little in regard to Ness, I guess that makes me appreciate his Smash incarnation even more.
He was pretty low on those tier lists and his PK Thunder is difficult to steer in those games. I think its the execuation of Ness' moveset those games that hurt him in competitive play. PM has done a phenomenal job on realizing the potential of Ness' moveset since they analyzed the flaws that plagued him in those games, and its just isn't Ness without his Djc. A simple jump button check can easily make a Dj that will give him the benefits of both dj options. Without knowing that Ness had a Djc, I probably wouldn't have played the MOTHER Series or even main him.

D

Deleted member 396530

Would it be okay for the devs to give him vertical momentum when he loses his PK Thunder, its too easy to take it away from him. It would require reading Ness movements after the player has lost it. I heard PM has done somethings to help Ness' recovery. Or give Ness damage or knockback based armor during his PK Thunder 1. But they can do both.PK Flash is practically useless if your opponent can Shield it when its too slow.

He was pretty low on those tier lists and his PK Thunder is difficult to steer in those games. I think its the execuation of Ness' moveset those games that hurt him in competitive play. PM has done a phenomenal job on realizing the potential of Ness' moveset since they analyzed the flaws that plagued him in those games, and its just isn't Ness without his Djc. A simple jump button check can easily make a Dj that will give him the benefits of both dj options. Without knowing that Ness had a Djc, I probably wouldn't have played the MOTHER Series or even main him.
hi! USEED ice climbers?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ness was GREAT honestly in Smash 4. I liked him far better than all the other incarnations, maybe besides Brawl because I was just about overjoyed he came back. EarthBound was a big gem in gaming. It was on the SNES Mini and all. Ness is therefore relevant because **** it.

DON'T CHANGE THIS CHARACTER HE WAS AWESOME IN SMASH 4! :ness::4ness:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say he was fantastic in Smash 4, but he was good, and had enough strengths to be viable. I'd like them to expand on what they did with Ness in 4, and do improve some of his strengths and slightly lessen his flaws to make it a bit more manageable. Like range is a weak point of his but I'd keep that, but I'd love it they made not so vulnerable with his recovery, as someone else mentioned, grant him more vertical momentum when PK Thunder has already been used. I'd also (as mentioned before) increase his mobility and speed a bit more too. I also want Ness to have a good Dair again.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Side-b into grab into d-throw into fair into fair. Just give me that sweet sweet string baby.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
What's weird is that I never cared much for Ness in 64, Melee or Brawl, but... In Smash 4, somehow he just clicked with me. He's not even really different. If he plays exactly the same as Smash 4 I will be satisfied with Ness

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Two things for Ness in this upcoming smash....have Ness properly say “flash” lol (maybe make the move more viable) and for ya love of god can he please get PSI Rockin as his final smash?!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Two things for Ness in this upcoming smash....have Ness properly say “flash” lol (maybe make the move more viable) and for ya love of god can he please get PSI Rockin as his final smash?!
"PK Vluash!"

It would be weird for Ness to lose Starstorm, though Rockin would be pretty interesting. I wonder how it would work as a Final Smash?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, I really do want Rockin here. I don't mind his broken Engrish though.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Funny, how Ness is supposed to be american yet he has a clear accent, while Lucas has no accent and is from a japan only game :ness:

Sprite

Smash Cadet
Funny, how Ness is supposed to be american yet he has a clear accent, while Lucas has no accent and is from a japan only game :ness:
Its only his voice actress, Ness is American in the games with no accents

Sprite

Smash Cadet
But yea pk rockin is kind of already in his moveset, as the unnamed psi he uses in his dash and air attacks, but I want rockin omega to be his final smash

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
But yea pk rockin is kind of already in his moveset, as the unnamed psi he uses in his dash and air attacks, but I want rockin omega to be his final smash
The only problem is that its only pink plus the shapes aren't even close to the Rockin's gfx

Sprite

Smash Cadet
The only problem is that its only pink plus the shapes aren't even close to the Rockin's gfx
The shapes are kinda similar, just not 1 to 1 like with Lucas, those moves are still pk rockin. I don't know about the color tho, they could change Ness's air and dash attacks to look red, blue, and yellow to match better

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was happy with the visuals changing as well. Part of my complains in Ness' design of moveset, especially compared to Lucas, in Brawl was how they didn't took the time to get the same PSI effects on Ness' moves. But they fixed that nicely in Smash 4.

Quillion

Smash Hero
To be fair, they probably changed the Rockin' gfx because red, blue, and yellow flashing might be seizure-inducing.

Remember the Porygon episode, anyone?

Sprite

Smash Cadet
To be fair, they probably changed the Rockin' gfx because red, blue, and yellow flashing might be seizure-inducing.

Remember the Porygon episode, anyone?

Very true. Heck I think the toned down how pk rockin looked on the virtual console and snes classic version of earthbound

lemonlimesoda

Smash Rookie
PK Flash needs a buff (maybe faster?) and I would *love* to have pajama Ness as an alt costume. I just want Ness to be buffed and be a high tier character rather than a middle tier character.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I definitely would like him to be higher on the tier list. Though I don't think him being mid tier in Smash 4 was too bad. Sure it's not too much saying that was the best he's ever been in Smash. But still, he (while having some glaring flaws and good counters) was still a viable character.

But to make him more viable we could work on somewhat minimizing some of his weaknesses and increase a few of his strengths.

I also would like PK Flash to be usable, but I'd rather have Ness have greater mobility and a less exploitable recovery before I'd do anything with Flash.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
if Ness had to have a completely new up B, what would you guys think would be a good replacement?

Morbi

Scavenger
if Ness had to have a completely new up B, what would you guys think would be a good replacement?
I guess a teleport? He could spin in a circle, similar to Farore's Wind, I suppose. Or maybe he could ride a big bottle rocket similar to Diddy. I would not want that, myself, just saying, he borrows a lot from the rest of the cast anyway.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Teleport, I guess. If we're trying to think of moves that aren't already used by magic and psychic users, then you got me.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I always imagined something with using his backpack to propel himself into the air, and then if that runs out you can use the PK Thunder. If not that, they could do something with Teleport.

Last edited:

Sprite

Smash Cadet
I always imagined something with using his backpack to propel himself into the air, and then if that runs out you can use the PK Thunder. If not that, they could do something with Teleport.
What does that reference?

Sprite

Smash Cadet
Also can we take a moment to appreciate all the ness/earthbound related profile pics, lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bumping this thread because THIS is the greatest thing ever...

Top Bottom