• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NES & NEU Melee present NSA2: Northeastern Smash Attack 2 - 03/29/14 - Boston, MA

roymaster2

Smash Journeyman

March 29th, 2014
Northeastern Smash Attack 2
Northeastern University - International Village Room 13-22
1155-1175 Tremont St
Boston, MA

** REGISTRATION MUST BE DONE IN ADVANCE: NO NEW ENTRANTS DAY OF EVENT **

Introduction

Happy 2014! To kick-start this New Year, Northeastern Entertainment Systems and NEU Melee are happy to announce the next installment to Northeastern Smash Attack.

Our first event gathered 108 smashers from the Boston area and a chunk of those from out of state, exceeding our expectations two-fold and making NSA the largest Melee tournament New England has seen since Viva La Smash in 2008! This time around we have set ourselves to a higher standard including: more setups (30 guaranteed TVs so far), improved streaming, more floor space, more events, preregistration (soon to be up), and of course, the event will NOT be held on a Friday night!

Northeastern Smash Attack 2 will be on Saturday March 29th, 2014 at the International Village of Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts featuring Project:M 3.0 Singles and Melee Singles/Doubles tournaments with streaming by VideoGameBootcamp.

Media and Stream

Didn’t attend NSA? Here’s what you missed:

RSVP on our official NSA2 Facebook Event page!

Looking for other smashers to train with before the event? Join the New England Melee Facebook group!!

Streaming by VGBootCamp:

Partners and Sponsors

Havenshine Game Center
Cumberland, RI
Game Underground
Framingham, MA
Hall of Gaming
Wallingford, CT

Registration

CLOSED.

Schedule

12:00pm – Venue opens
01:00pm – Project:M Singles
02:00pm – Melee Doubles
04:00pm – Melee Singles

If you are bringing a setup (either TV, system, or both), please arrive at 11:00AM so we can set the rooms up as soon as possible.

Pricing

$5 Venue Fee for everyone, both entrants and spectators.
$5 P:M Singles
$5 Melee Singles
$5 Melee Doubles per Team

Online Registration closes on 03/24/14 - 12:00AM.

ALL SPECTATORS MUST PAY A $2 VENUE FEE DAY OF THE EVENT.

Rulesets

Melee Single/Doubles

· 4 stock, 8 minutes.
· Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
· Items set to “off” and “none.”
· Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
· Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.
· Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
· For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
· Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
· Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.
· If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
· If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
· Buffer set to off.
· Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
· Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
· If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
· In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.
· No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)
· No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.
· Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1-1-2 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee)

Counterpicks:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee)
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Wario Ware
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle

Payout

Due to the large turnout, all events will be:

1st – 45%
2nd – 25%
3rd – 15%
4th – 8%
5th - 3.5%
5th - 3.5%

Setups

We have 30 guaranteed TVs so far, but our goal is to hit 45 full setups. This means we absolutely need people to bring either a Gamecube or Wii; no point in having TVs without a system to be used on it. Please help out by bringing anything you can so we can all make this event run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Items that are needed:

- CRT Televisions
- Gamecubes and Wiis
- Melee discs
- Brawl discs + SD card with Project:M
- Power strips
- Extension cords

Any of those items are much appreciated! Those that bring a full setup (CRT, system, disc) will have their venue fee waived.

---

Refer to this Campus Map:

The venue is building 80 (International Village) on the campus map. The building's address is 1155-1175 Tremont Street, Boston, MA

Parking and Transportation

Driving: The venue is located off exit 18 off of RT 93. There is street parking along Tremont St but we recommend parking in the garage located directly next to the venue (Building 62 on campus Map):

Renaissance Park Garage – 835 Columbus Avenue

MBTA: Directly off the Ruggles T-stop from the Orange line and Commuter Rail, after exiting the train, walk upstairs and turn right to walk down the right side of the wind tunnel. The building is in sight to the right of the exit. It is also just a short walk from the Northeastern T-stop off the Green line. After getting off the Northeastern stop, walk to the side of the tracks opposite of the Au Bon Pain, continue straight down Forsyth St, pass the rotary, then directly through Ruggles station to arrive at the venue.

Food

There are plenty of food options within a 10-minute walk from the venue:
- Curry Student Center (Building 50 on campus map) has pizza, Starbucks, Taco Bell, and a Uburger.
- Along Tremont St, there are options such as Chinese, pizza, and fried chicken.
- Along Huntington Ave, there’s Au Bon Pain, Panera, Wings Over, Five Guys, Dunkin Donuts, Boston House of Pizza, and much more.

Any questions or concerns, post either here or on the Facebook page. Also, feel free to reach us by email at neusmash@gmail.com.

And of course…
BRING SETUPS.

Hype.

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Hey Theo, it's Edwin! This is my account on Smashboards, just thought I'd let you know that I already RSVP'd the event on Facebook and will be attending again. I'll be bringing a full set up (TV, PM/Melee) just like I did with NSA. This is going to be great.

mapler90210

Smash Rookie
Turns out I do have an account here. This is Nick. Already RSVP'd on Facebook. I'll bring a full melee setup (no Wii, so no P:M). Can't wait for this.

Kayo

Smash Apprentice
Premium
NNID
KiddKayo
3DS FC
0989-3028-4971
Is this going to be a two day regional? Or will it run super late again. I couldn't stay for most of NSA1. Looking forward to it, last one was awesome!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Is this going to be a two day regional? Or will it run super late again. I couldn't stay for most of NSA1. Looking forward to it, last one was awesome!
This will be a one day event. the venue is not open on sundays
We are starting earlier in the day, bulking up on setups, and will be posting pre reg this month. We dont anticipate it to run like the previous.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
That's a hell of a long drive for a one-day tournament... $7 for venue and melee singles? **** that's cheap.

I'm considering, but no promises.

roymaster2

Smash Journeyman
That's a hell of a long drive for a one-day tournament... $7 for venue and melee singles? **** that's cheap.

I'm considering, but no promises.

Surely a long drive from NC, and I guarantee you'd be the first from NC! If someone could house you, there'll most likely be a Game Over event on Tuesday which is a tournament at a bar - usually 30-40 entrants. It's always a good time.

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
Oh my...
I'm Definitely going to attend, 90% sure i'll be able to bring a melee setup along.

ReNoize

Smash Rookie
Is Matt.Zeb playing any money matches? This calls for my revival...

Down for this, and prepared...

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I might be able to do a MM.... Most of my time will be spent TOing, but I'll be in Melee Singles and P:M Singles too.
Just wondering, Matt do you play Falco in P:M too?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yep! I love falco in PM. Aside from his recovery I think he is better than Melee falco.

I do hope to play friendlys somehow though, get there early and itll be more likely that I can play!

roymaster2

Smash Journeyman
Please note some changes: the venue fee has been raised to $5 for all Non NEU students, and to $2 for NEU students. This is due to some additional things that were added in order to make this event even better for everyone! The online registration will be open on 02/01/14. And preregistration can also be done at Mass Madness 10a on this Saturday, 01/11/14. www.facebook.com/events/239385746226879/

AND WE WILL BE CLOSING REGISTRATION ON 03/23/14.

NO ENTRYS AT THE DOOR DAY OF!!!

trilok

Smash Apprentice
what time do you expect the tournament to end? project M /melee singles ?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I couldn't say because I don't know how many people are truly attending.

But hopefully we'll wrap things up by 10p / 11p.

PM singles obv will finish fastest because it's first.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm trying to pick up a secondary (preferably low-tier) any suggestions?

roymaster2

Smash Journeyman
The venue fee has changed once again! Now NEU students must pay a $5 venue fee (versus the earlier $2).

But anyone who brings a full setup will have their venue fee returned on the day of.

The registration is now open online. The link is provided in the first post. To clarify, you DO NOT NEED A PAYPAL ACCOUNT to pay. There is an option when you get to the payment page to pay without signing up for PayPal.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
I am super excited to finally go to a Tourney where I am not the TO and is outside Maine.
Two things I wanted to double check on for PM:
PS1, and Skyworld are not legal stages but Dracula's is correct?
And secondly, when is comes to the initial stage striking is "2" the player in the second port, or the loser of Roshambo(RPS)?

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
And secondly, when is comes to the initial stage striking is "2" the player in the second port, or the loser of Roshambo(RPS)?
The first "2" is the winner of RPS. Although the 2 also refers to how many stages you strike.
The loser of RPS bans one stage, then the winner bans two, loser bans two more and the winner decides from the remaining two stages.
That's where the 1-2-2-1 comes from.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
The first "2" is the winner of RPS. Although the 2 also refers to how many stages you strike.
The loser of RPS bans one stage, then the winner bans two, loser bans two more and the winner decides from the remaining two stages.
That's where the 1-2-2-1 comes from.
Well that is what I had thought but the PM rules say 1-2-2-1-1-2 which if we go by 2 meaning 2 stages is far more than the seven Neutrals.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Well that is what I had thought but the PM rules say 1-2-2-1-1-2 which if we go by 2 meaning 2 stages is far more than the seven Neutrals.
I'm guessing that's an error they copied from another ruleset. Like you said, there are only seven neutrals.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
The venue fee has changed once again! Now NEU students must pay a $5 venue fee (versus the earlier $2).

But anyone who brings a full setup will have their venue fee returned on the day of.

The registration is now open online. The link is provided in the first post. To clarify, you DO NOT NEED A PAYPAL ACCOUNT to pay. There is an option when you get to the payment page to pay without signing up for PayPal.
I need to register but it needs to be under my parents account (high school student, got no choice). would that be okay to do, would I be able to go?

Last edited:

trilok

Smash Apprentice
Project m capped off ... :(
I should have registered earlier, but I didn't know there were caps

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I'm in the same boat, not sure if I'm going just to play friendlies and money matches :( Though if I do come, I'll bring a full set up anyway.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I can tell you that we're in a need of full PM setups. If you want to help us run this more efficiently for everyone, please do bring a PM setup!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I actually feel a little bad that the P:M registration got cut off, there are so many people who just exclusively play P:M and I'm not one of them but I took a spot anyway. :c:c:c

Djdkdjdkdjdk

Smash Rookie
Sadly not going to make it, do you know if another NSA will be held in the coming months? Maybe before Evo/MLG/Ceo?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Just an FYI: While we are running the APEX 2014 ruleset for Melee, we will be running Round Robin pools. Not bracket pools.

top 2 advance.

Tiebreakers determined by Set Win/Loss, Match Win/Loss, Head-to-Head.

Top Bottom