• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nerfs apparent in 3.5

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
The only thing which I don't like about 3.5 Mewtwo that I have found so far is his forward throw. In Melee, it would send out multiple small shadow orbs that could hit other opponents; in this version, no orbs appear and instead, he turns his opponent into a small shadow ball before sending them flying. I really feel that this alone is a big downgrade. (He's still fun to play, though)
LOL. It was always like that since 3.0 came out. To be honest, I like pm's version of Mewtwo's forward throw. I believe TKBreezy coined the name "Gravity Squeeze" which sounds a whole lot better than Melee's Shadow Cannon (If memory serves the name correctly).

Last edited:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I finally finished making the Mewtwo 3.02 vs 3.5 tail length comparison images. 15% reduction in tail size sounded like a huge change but as you can see in these images, it doesn't really seem to be that big of a change. =)

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Numerically, yeah, not a huge change. But small changes can have huge consequences, and shortening his tail is definitely such a change.

That's a pretty good primer for adjusting to 3.5, props to Emu.

One thing I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion on yet is the fact that you can teleport down through platforms now. Not a huge deal, but it opens up his platform movement a little. On most stages you can do a 45 degree autocancel to ground from the lower platform(s) with good timing (outer Lylat platforms are the main exception that comes to mind, FoD and Norfair vary), and you can do the same to get from top platforms to lower platforms on pretty much every triangle stage (counting Skyworld). FoD obviously varies somewhat. There's also a few stages where you can autocancel a teleport straight down to transition from a top platform to the ground: WW, YS, Dreamland, FoD, and "high" configuration Norfair platforms. Basically any platform where you'd autocancel upwards by teleporting at a ~73/107 degree angle; all the others autocancel by teleporting straight up.

Interesting fact: you can "shorten" downwards teleports if there's a platform in the way by releasing down mid-teleport. You'll land on the intervening platform. Not particularly useful though, you end up in the super laggy grounded ending animation.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
Thanks for doing the comparison monkunit! It'd be cool to see with hitboxes visible as well.

InfinityCollision you mean from grounded up-B you can phase through a platform you're standing on? I didn't know that I've still been only using aerial up-B to phase through.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Hmm, now that you say that... It's true, you could do that before. I had it in my head that you couldn't because of this:

--Teleport can conditionally pass through platforms if you hold down while traveling
So what the hell is that referring to then? And no, grounded still doesn't work. It also still does the thing where you go into aerial ending if you use a horizontal teleport to travel between platforms. It's possible to get hitboxes out on nair and bair before you touch down, but oddly I've never been able to get a fair hitbox out.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
With Aerial UpB, you can now choose to hold down to pass through platforms, or let go and reappear on the platform instead.

I'd imagine he could get Bair and not Fair out due to some SCD-related thing, despite Fair being a lot faster.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Oh, it's just the shorten thing I mentioned then. That... feels like a nerf kinda? Or rather it means you really want to make sure you don't move the control stick in a different direction too soon if you're traveling downwards past a platform. There's so much endlag on the grounded ending, I'm hard-pressed to think of a time where I'd actually want to land in a higher position with so many extra frames of inaction.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
lol, as if Mewtwo wasn't 20XX enough already. That's a good point though, would still be incredibly situational but that's at least one case where it'd be useful.

Top Bottom