• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NERF THIS! D.va thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
dvarender.jpg

Mainly doing this for fun, but since Overwatch Switch port has now officially been confirmed, figured why not start a thread since she didn't have one already from what I could find after searching, and the fact she made headlines from an earlier rumor.

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/overwatch-dva-super-smash-bros-960510

Compared to Tracer who would mostly time reverse and speedblitz around you, I feel D.va would just be more fun to either use or fight against. Her mech can be a heavyweight, and after either a meter based move or final smash, she uses her mech self-destruct ultimate and becomes a lightweight while mech-less. Think of it as a return to how Samus was in Brawl, switching between the power and zero suit after final smash.

Now, I'm not sure if it's just South Korea but apparently D.va is the most popular Overwatch character overseas. That and stats made by Blizzard since last year have shown D.va being the most played hero out of everyone else. Tracer might be the posterchild, but for whose played the most, the numbers don't lie. As a gamer too, not hard to see why she's so popular; even references classic Donkey Kong, among other things.

Come here to support and talk D.va stuff. Will also take any suggestions for adding things to or editing the OP if necessary.

Supporters so far:
Myself
M00NFIRE94
TheBrainJem
KingDoop
Teeb147
TheMarioaddict
Michel
Brindor
kool2419
PsychoIncarnate
Zoljinx_
Guybrush20X6
KoMallow
KingDoop

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Being a gamer herself, DVA would represent not just Overwatch but every one of us who plays games also. For her it'd be an isekai dream come true moment to fight these icons she only thought was possible through a monitor.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
never played overwatch but she looks cool. I think the fighters pass will include at least one super heavyweight and a mech would certainly fit that need. I approve

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was wondering if there was a support thread or not. At least there's one now.

She'd be coo .. :p
My guess is that she'd be strong in her mech, but a big target so eventually you'd get blown out of it to be just by herself for a while. In a way a bit like the opposite of joker, where you'd be less powerful after being hit for a while. A cool idea anyway.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
F*** it, I'll support this.

I'm dubious of the leak and honestly not much of an Overwatch fan, but I think she'd make for a pretty cool character if she were included.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Gotta say I am genuinely surprised that no one has made a D. Va thread until now. I don't even follow Overwatch but even I know that D. Va is one of its biggest and most popular characters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Gotta say I am genuinely surprised that no one has made a D. Va thread until now. I don't even follow Overwatch but even I know that D. Va is one of its biggest and most popular characters.
It's likely due to usually the poster child or mascot character being put forth as the playable. Tracer is the face of Overwatch so many would assume she'd be the choice if there was any Overwatch fighter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm wondering if DVa is in then would she be a return to Samus/Zero Suit Samus's playstyle in Brawl where she swaps between two different playstyles after using her Ultimate (Whether its her Final Smash or not is another mater)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm wondering if DVa is in then would she be a return to Samus/Zero Suit Samus's playstyle in Brawl where she swaps between two different playstyles after using her Ultimate (Whether its her Final Smash or not is another mater)
On the one hand, I can see the self destruct being her final smash for obvious reasons but usually whenever an opponent has an FS, there's usually a chance given to your opponents to avoid it but here I'm not sure if ya could. Maybe the self destruct can work as a high risk ability you can build up just like an ultimate in the Overwatch game but using it leaves ya vulnerable so you'd have to time that self destruct perfectly as enemies can block it.

Alternatively, her final smash I can also see being Genji riding on MEKA as a reference to that Heroes of the Storm trailer. Have him use his Dragon Blade ultimate to swipe at everyone as DVA flies by across the screen back and forth.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, would D.va lose the mech after taking a lot of damage, or should that not apply as far as Smash? Also, make Defense Matrix a reflector!

NerFox

Smash Cadet
Damn, I have the feeling D.Va coming to Smash might be legit and honestly I really don’t like it. I used to play OW a lot but quitted because of the unbalanced mess it was back then. So I kinda dislike OW itself. BUT if there has to be an OW character in Smash I’d prefer D.Va over Tracer anyday. I reaaaally don’t like Tracer haha. D.Va has many options for Unique mechanics though.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Oh, would D.va lose the mech after taking a lot of damage, or should that not apply as far as Smash? Also, make Defense Matrix a reflector!
That I think would be very tricky to find the right damage percentage the mech can take before it broke but maybe Sakurai will find a way. If all else fails, she can just go down with the mech.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Defense matrix a reflector you could walk with for a short time. That would be interesting, and maybe can Even be activated during a flight mode (up b or something?)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Same. But to anyone who plays Overwatch and D. Va, what sort of move set could she have if she was in Smash?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’ll just leave this here.

The awkward button placements on the boobs made me question if it was real at first, but it is apparently. There’s also a Reaper one.

1D2902DF-0375-4C5F-94E0-752D3F91C0D1.jpeg

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
We know Blizzard's open to the idea of Overwatch in Smash. The interesting thing about this is the devs want Nintendo to pick the hero should it happen.

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/b...atch-hero-joining-smash-bros-ultimate-1047251
“It’s hard to pick your favorite hero,” Boyd said. “All of them have their own draw in Smash and it’s a really cool idea.”

This echoed Yanagi’s previous comments to Eurogamer when asked about the chance of Tracer appearing in Smash. “There are any number of characters I would love to see in Smash, but we'll let Nintendo take care of that!” he said in the September 6 interview.

In the same interview lead game producer Matthew Hawley weighed in saying that while the idea of an Overwatch hero in Smash was a fun idea, it's “not something that's up to the Overwatch team.”

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Nice! That gives plenty confidence for D.va happening over Tracer, given her established unrivaled popularity in the East.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rather have DVA than Tracer. Tracer just irritates the hell out of me. But if I had to pick a Blizzard character, I'd go with Zul'Dan or Tassadar

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Echoing what most people here are saying, i would prefer D.Va over Tracer. she became one of my favorite characters to play before I stopped playing.

i'm a fan of the idea of having her be a heavyweight in the mech, and a lightweight out of it, though i don't know if they'd lock her Mech-less self behind a final smash, considering how they seperated Samus and ZSS. i imagine it'd be a special meter she gets that lets her use the self-destruct, then once the meter fills again, she can spawn a new Mech. i could also see her lacking special moves when she's out of her mech, as that would also be pretty true to her design in Overwatch (maybe only Neutral special for shooting her gun?).

I'm more on board with her Final smash being her calling in for support from other Overwatch characters, her being a tank in the game kind of fits her being the first on the field and having the other team members follow up for the kill.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo is keen to expand the appeal of Smash with the new characters and barring a Starcraft rep, DVa seems to be the best way to appeal to South Korea after Terry's appeal to China, South America and SNK fans.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I would love to see Dva. Her design & vibe will fit the game soo well.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Just thought I'd add...been playing overwatch for the first time on switch. First character I went for was D.Va. Lot of fun to play, lots of personality, and the fact that she's a gamer turned mech pilot is awesome

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
mecha_ridley_vs_d_va_by_zoid162010_ddim5gt-pre.jpg
*thumbnail

Came across that on deviantart. Dammit, stop making me want her more.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
D.va is my main, and I do love Overwatch...

That said, Blizzard's in hot water right now and I don't think Nintendo should indulge them until they start supporting human rights.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
D.va is my main, and I do love Overwatch...

That said, Blizzard's in hot water right now and I don't think Nintendo should indulge them until they start supporting human rights.
This thread was made awhile before that whole Hong Kong thing happened, but you are right still.

Had I known what would happen beforehand, might’ve made a Mei thread instead with all the attention she’s getting now over it. Really though...

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
This thread was made awhile before that whole Hong Kong thing happened, but you are right still.

Had I known what would happen beforehand, might’ve made a Mei thread instead with all the attention she’s getting now over it. Really though...
I agree with both of you. Blizzard's actions were wrong & tbh hinders any of their IPs

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I love Overwatch and I think D.Va would be the perfect character. She might be difficult to translate but it could work. A mech gimmick would honestly be super fun.

Top Bottom