• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neon's Match-up Discussion

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to what will hopefully become a fairly comprehensive Lucas match-up guide. Given the huge diversity of viable characters in PM, this guide will probably take a while to create, but I want the structure of this discussion to make that process as accurate and efficient as possible. I think the best option is to focus on one character at a time for several days or weeks (depending on the pace of discussion and amount knowledge we have to contribute and analyze), and once we have said all we have to say and the discussion starts to die down, we can move on to the next character. Obviously our discussion will stay as a resource for anyone who wants to see how our thoughts on the match-up developed over time, but I will also attempt to condense the most important aspects of the match-up into a guide that will be included in this post.

Currently there are no guides.
I suggest that we discuss Fox first, since he is indisputably one of the best PM characters and is a prominent threat, since so many players already know how to play Fox quite well based on their Melee skills. I also expect that a lot of us have experience playing against Fox due to his popularity, so we should have good points to make regarding this match-up.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Work on your punishment game, make sure every hit leads to a kill inevitably.
For specifics...
WDOOS to keep yourself mobile out of pressure, while allowing yourself options if you opportunities come up, which they will, and you need to make sure you get everything you can.
Don't over-commit to anything slow, including PKF's at range, while paying attention to make sure you only attempt hitting him with what will knock him down/have some kind of effect.
Learn to finish every edge-guard by taking the stock directly all the while covering his other options so you can send him off-stage again (the latter being more important long-term)
Learn your tools. Everything from WD > F-Tilt as your quickest knock-down option at a distance from any position, to Tether-Drops from the ledge multiple times to avoid Shine-Spikes.

It's a process to kill a fast-falling character with literally every character in the game. You might not do it even 50% in hit-stun/tech-chases off a single hit, but the process should lead to a lost stock by taking away space and options, repeated edge-guard attempts by constantly tossing them off, and precision decision making/reacting to whatever you're given. You can wait for things, don't force anything, especially in the punish game. Let them make a move when they're on the defensive/recovering from a connected hit/combo chain, and continue the process of eliminating them.

Establish that you'll take risks (random Dash-A/WD F-Tilt/N-air Throughs), but only to a point where you're established there, then don't commit to ANYTHING unless you're SURE of it, at least not any more than once a stock if it's stale-mating, and only ever with something that will actually have great effect (knock them down to begin a process of stock-elimination)

Typical vs Fox stuff with any character, with Lucas it still applies, but 'how' to do it simply changes a little accordingly.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Does uthrow chain grab Fox at low%? Even if it doesn't, i imagine you can do it at least twice, and then follow up with combolisciousness. How about uthrow uair? I'm assuming it works pretty well on Lucas at high %, but can you sdi out of it?

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Here are some of my thoughts on the Fox match-up. I'm going to break it up into sections on various aspects of the match-up, and discuss them somewhat individually. For a brief overview, I want to say that I feel like this is the defining match-up of PM; it basically asks whether one of the newly designed PM characters can beat the best Melee character, which I think is pretty cool. It's also one of the most complex match-ups due to the slight imbalances between the characters, which make the match-up hard to evaluate, especially since both characters are obviously extremely good. I think the eventual outcome will be determined by how far Lucas's metagame can be pushed, and how well Fox can counter Lucas's tactics as they develop. I'll move along to my sections, but bear in mind they aren't meant to be a comprehensive guide to the match-up; just some of my broader conceptual thoughts on various things that I think will be important. Some of it will be in depth, some might not, some might be incorrect opinions that I need to be corrected on, etc. This is just a starting point for the discussion.

The Neutral Game
This is probably the most complicated part of this match-up, and I think it is the aspect that will ultimately determine who has the general advantage. Both characters are extremely fast both in terms of movement speed and their ability to execute attacks quickly. Both have amazing shield pressure options and good out of shield options, making the neutral game very dangerous, since you can't mess up your pressure or oos options without getting punished. I think that overall Fox is slightly safer in the close-range neutral game because of his CC shine and higher priority aerials, but Lucas makes up for it by controlling space very well with pkf and punishing harder than Fox does. This is going to start with some background and stats on different things, and then discuss general stuff about the neutral game.

Ground Movement
A general note here is that Fox has slightly better ground movement, while Lucas has significantly better aerial movement. Fox's run is slightly faster than Lucas's, but it doesn't make all that much of a difference in the neutral game anyway, since Lucas spends so much time in the air and never seems too slow to continue his combos. Lucas also has a much longer wavedash than Fox, and a superior DACUS, both of which expand his movement capabilities. Both characters can wavedash out of their down b, but Fox can do it faster -- 3 frames in shine + 3 frames in jumpsquat compared to Lucas's 7 frames in magnet + 4 frames of jumpsquat. However, Lucas is actually slightly safer when doing this as long as he gets his magnet out, since Fox has 5 frames after his last active hitbox before he can wavedash while Lucas only has 4. This slight frame advantage is probably not a big deal, but Lucas is also safer because he can reverse his momentum by b-reversing his down b, letting him start his retreat more quickly.
Despite all of this, Fox's shine gives him a lot of control whenever he's on the ground and you're low enough to hit. He can crouch cancel any repeating magnets and easily shine out of them, so you lose that option in some situations, which sucks since repeating magnets are really useful for pressure and building up damage. Shine is a real problem for Lucas because he has very low traction, which gives him a long wavedash but also causes him to slide very far when hit by shine, which makes it a lot easier for Fox to knock him off the stage with a few shines and get a gimp (but we'll talk more about that in the recovery section). Fox is also pretty capable of getting in on Lucas because of his speed and the fact that shine comes out on frame 1, so he’s one of the few characters that can seriously threaten Lucas in the neutral game.

Aerial Movement
Lucas's aerial movement capabilities are far better than Fox's. Lucas can do running sh magnets to retreating DJC fair or waveland back and control space very safely. He can't even be grabbed if he does this on a shield, and it's just generally super safe. Even without using magnets to glide forward when you jump, DJCs alone give you tons of mobility and the option to totally change your momentum. With magnets, you can not only glide slightly, but also reverse your momentum with a b-reverse for lots of tricky aerial movement. DJC pkf also lets you stay safe by moving away as you fire the pkf. Lucas can also attack out of airdodges, granting him invincible movement in any direction with the option to attack, which is pretty excellent. And lastly Lucas has all of his magnet pull tricks for following up on combos. This is pretty useful, but Fox is probably fast enough that he could also edgeguard anyone who got knocked far enough away that you had time to do a magnet pull, so it might not provide Lucas with any unique advantage over Fox. While Lucas is one of the best aerial characters, Fox is still very good in the air due to his strong aerials and extremely fast shffls. Fox’s nair will beat Lucas’s magnet and nair, unless Fox seriously mis-spaces and runs into the magnet without hitting you. Fox’s bair is similarly great at controlling space and outprioritizing Lucas’s magnet and nair.

General Neutral Game Strategy
Lucas’s pkf is extremely useful for controlling all aspects of the neutral game. They control space, can force opponents into shield, and they set up for combos if they connect. Fox has to be a lot more concerned about avoiding your pkfs than you do about avoiding his lasers, since lasers don’t cause hitstun to set up for the type of punishments that you can get off your projectiles. This helps Lucas force approaches, which may or may not be useful. I’ve played this matchup a decent amount from the Fox side, and prefer to constantly remain attacking, so Lucas doesn’t have much opportunity to pkf. Fox has an advantage when he is pressuring Lucas’s shield, and Lucas has an advantage while he is pressuring Fox’s shield, so it makes sense that both characters want to get in on the other and force the opponent to choose between shielding and getting hit (or rolling, which should usually lead to getting hit in this matchup). If Fox is going to be approaching anyways, it’s not that big of a deal that Lucas can force approaches with pkf. Lucas will often want to shoot repeated DJC pkfs at Fox anytime that it is safe to do so, as they provide pretty good pressure and lead into tons of good punish options if they hit.

At closer range, both characters want to apply pressure while staying safe. This is one of the key areas where the strengths of the characters create a slight imbalance. Fox has somewhat safer aerials since they have persistent hitboxes with high priority, while many of Lucas’s moves have lower priority and none are sex kicks. However, Lucas has better shield pressure, so if he can get in on Fox, he’s more likely to get a shield poke/break or force a roll that you can then capitalize on. So Lucas trades a bit of safety in the true neutral game for stronger pressure. One note on shield pressure is that Fox has a slightly faster grab and shine grab, which give him another small advantage to compensate for Lucas’s stronger pressure. Fox’s shine out of shield is also better than any of Lucas’s oos options, so Fox is better at defending against shield pressure while Lucas is better at applying it.
In terms of actual shield pressure options, you can look at the Lucas TAS Shield Pressure video and its description (it’s in the general thread). Most of the stuff in that video is not all that difficult, and you can do mixups with holding magnets if you can’t do some of the tech skill. Fox has standard Fox stuff like nair/bair -> shine -> shffl nair/bair or grab out of shine etc. The bottom line here is that Lucas has better shield pressure; Fox can’t punish Lucas’s perfect pressure, and can only roll or spot dodge to escape, but both of those options are pretty heavily punishable. No one can do perfect pressure yet, but really good pressure is already very possible. I’ve broken lots of shields with my Lucas, and I have barely scratched the surface of his shield pressure options. Even obvious stuff like magnet -> low sh magnet -> DJC aerial or magnet hold is really good, and his pressure is super unpredictable compared to Fox. (The things I’m saying in this paragraph should make it apparent how amazing Lucas is).

Combo Game
Both characters have really strong and dynamic combos that can pretty much destroy the other character. This won’t be a full guide to Lucas combos, but some stuff that works well against Fox includes up throw to up smash at low percent, up tilts, full hop double up airs, and standard combos with nairs, magnets, fairs, up airs, etc. You pretty much just want to use combos that work on fastfallers, and make sure not to get shined out of them. This isn’t really too hard since Lucas’s combos have lots of hitstun and are very difficult to escape. I don’t think Lucas really ever needs to drop a combo on Fox, so you should really try to always get a kill off the combo. Lucas has lots of ways to lead into a smash attack or bair, so he has plenty of opportunities to get the kill. Fox probably wants to go mostly for shines to knock Lucas off the stage, or up throw -> up air or maybe up smash at low percent. Much like Lucas, Fox also wants to use his standard fastfaller combos like up throw to up smash/up air. The only difference between Lucas and other fastfallers is that Lucas slides really far when he gets shined, so he can get knocked off the stage a lot more easily. He’s also not super heavy, so Fox may want to use bair or fsmash to go for some kills off the side on stages with high ceilings, especially since this can set up for edgeguards if Lucas survives. Overall the combo game is not clear yet. Fox’s combos are easier and more guaranteed in certain situations, but Lucas can continue his combos longer and they seem better at moving opponents off the stage or leading into kill moves (like any smash attack, bair, up throw, or fair at slightly higher percentages).

Edgeguarding and Recovery
Lucas probably has the advantage here, since he can go further off stage to gimp Fox, and has better option coverage from on stage than Fox does. Off stage, Lucas generally wants to go for bair spikes, while on-stage he can use dsmash to cover Fox’s attempts to go to the ledge. Unless Fox sweetspots perfectly, he’ll get hit by the dsmash and probably die. The first hit of dsmash also ends soon enough that if you realize Fox is going at a higher angle with up b, you can usually end the dsmash after the first hit in time to punish with something else, like up smash or bair. I don’t really see other people using dsmash to edgeguard, but it’s very good since its hitboxes are out for a while and very strong. Fox still has the ability to recover by mixing up side b and different angles of up b, but Lucas has a pretty strong edgeguarding game and can cover a lot of options. I could definitely see Lucas’s edgeguards become super consistent against spacies since he has so many ways to get the kill from both on stage and off stage.
Fox also has pretty strong edgeguards against Lucas, but I don’t think they’re quite as a strong as Lucas’s edgeguarding options, and I think Lucas has better tools for getting around Fox’s attempts to edgeguard. The biggest thing Lucas needs to look out for is shine, particularly when he is tethering back to the ledge, since his recovery path can be pretty predictable and leaves him very vulnerable at times. Fox can hang on the ledge to prevent you from reeling in to it, and just shine you if you tether to the ledge. I think Lucas needs to use tether cancels here in order to bait Fox into shining at a time where Lucas is safe and can still air dodge, and then either airdodge to the stage or tether to the ledge, depending on where Fox goes after he tries to shine spike you. Fox also has all his normal edgegaurd options like bairing from the ledge if you try to go over him, or staying on stage and punishing when you try to get off the ledge. Fox could also just hang on the ledge, which makes it very difficult to tether since you can easily be shined when you tether and you can’t reel in to the ledge, so Fox can still punish you when you do you jump back onto the stage. One thing that might be useful is tethering and then cancelling directly into a magnet to knock Fox off the ledge, but I haven’t really used this much yet. Using your up b is pretty risky, since Fox can shine you during the start up or can knock you out of the pk thunder 2 when you’re coming back to the stage. It’s just much slower and riskier than tethering, and I think it should generally only be used when necessary.

Concluding Notes
This match-up is pretty interesting since both characters are so good and have so many options against each other. I feel like one of Fox’s strengths in the matchup is his ability to keep Lucas out better than most other characters can, so Fox might have more of a defensive than offensive advantage against Lucas, which is somewhat unusual for Fox since he is normally the aggressor in most matchups. Lucas generally wants to set up combos by landing a safe pkf or connecting with some other attack when Fox is vulnerable, whereas Fox wants to utilize his priority to stuff Lucas’s moves and then probably up throw up air or shine, but lots of other stuff will be the best option in certain situations. They both combo each other super hard, and are pretty good at moving the other off stage and getting gimps/edgeguards, so every exchange is more important than it would be in most other match-ups. You need to try to stay safe, but one of the safest things you can do is get close to Fox and pressure him with your aerial capabilities, which give Fox little opportunity to retaliate since you have a decent frame advantage in lots of situations and Lucas can stay out of Fox’s range while applying this pressure. Overall it’s not clear who comes out on top at this point in time, as there are a multitude of strategies that each character will have to explore before we’ll know the most effective strategies and be able to figure out who might have an advantage.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Do a lot of the same ideas apply to Falco? I know you'll need to use magnet and wavedash a lot to get past the lasers, which changes the dynamic of the neutral game, but it shouldn't change the combo and punishment game that much.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I say we keep the discussion on Fox for now. I'm sure we'll get into the Falco MU soon after Fox. We should try to keep our focus.

I'd like to get another chance to play a good Fox (it will probably be Neons) to re-collect my thoughts on the match up as it's been a while. Then I'll post my thoughts as well.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
So this topic has been kind of dead, mostly because I don't feel like just writing a bunch of guides on my own. If anyone wants to start a new matchup discussion, suggest a character and perhaps post some topics that you'd like to discuss, and we can start reviving this thread. As before, I'd prefer to talk about top tiers that I'm familiar with, such as Falco, Lucas, Peach, MK, or Marth, but we could also talk about other characters or continue discussing Fox.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I would like some Mario advice, I didn't had the opportunity to play against a Mario player since october,and I was doing pretty bad on the MU from what I can remember...

Marth, Peach and Wolf would be interesting too

el Gusto

Smash Rookie
While the u-throw chaingrab only works at 0% (after that you need to rely on the somewhat unreliable uair), d-throw can chaingrab fox from 50% to 160% (where you get a guaranteed kill with u-throw). It's kind of had to react (you need to start running as soon as you can, and then react to DI), might be impossible at 50%, and you should mix in dash-grabs to get it to work from 90%.

It's still pretty useful imho, since you can get grabs from pkf in the matchup.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Fox can Di behind Lucas and downward to escape that chaingrab I think at around 25-35%

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I would like some Mario advice, I didn't had the opportunity to play against a Mario player since october,and I was doing pretty bad on the MU from what I can remember...

Marth, Peach and Wolf would be interesting too
I'm not as good as Neon and the best Lucas, but I've played a lot of Mario vs Lucas, and I can say I was doing pretty bad at the match-up at first myself. The most impotant aspect here is that you can pressure Mario better than he can pressure you, and that your moves will always have more reach than Mario's stubbyass arms and legs. If he misspaces Fireballs you can straight up run to him and Fair the Fireball as well as Mario himself. If he throws out Fireballs from too far away through misspacing you can Magnet them, so either approach with a little Magnet glide or absorb and then WD. Well spaced fireballs can either be Reflected with your shield or jumped around, this depends moreso on Mario's height.

Another real important part is to not overuse Freeze in the MU, because if Mario catches on it'll more than likely do more harm than good. That isn't to say don't use it as it's great on Mario jumping towards you from far away. Try not to get knocked offstage, you want to make quick recoveries either high up or with a fast tether. Apply careful pressure to avoid punishes from Mario's grab or various combo starters and once you get a good series going making sure to keep up with it.

Pretty basic stuff, but solid fundamentals is some of the best stuff you can do against Mario. :p

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
I have minimal experience with Mario, but it seems like getting around his fireballs is the most problematic part of the matchup, and everything else is fairly standard and not very difficult. A few options for approaching against fireball control are to powershield, normal shield and wavedash out to continue approaching, attack through the fireballs, or use platforms to maneuver over them. You'll ultimately have to figure out your opponent's patterns and exploit them in order to approach successfully, but these are some good options that you can utilize as responses. Other than that, I feel like Mario gets somewhat dominated by Lucas. Lucas can outspace Mario without too much difficulty, and Mario doesn't have very good oos options, so it's pretty easy to pressure his shield and get a hit into some standard Lucas combos. I would go more in depth, but I have so little matchup experience, and I'm not familiar enough with Mario to be confident that my theorycrafting is accurate.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Yeah, dancing around the fireballs is the biggest part of the Match-up because the cooldown is very minimal on them so outright punishing isn't too easy until you're in close/he ****s up and spaces them badly. And I can't stress it enough, one of Fireball's best things is that it can get in your head/get frustrating and cause you to play stupid. Just keep a cool head amidst all the heat and do what you gotta do.

I'll warn that Mario's UpB OoS is very fast and has some intense priority on it, but if you're at a low enough percent you can just DI down, hit the ground, and get a combo started since Lucas is a fatass

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
I understand that currently this discussion has been on conventional 1v1's, but with the advent of turbo mode in 3.0, I was wondering if you guys had some thoughts on a turbo match-up between Lucas and Fox. How much does the dynamic shift, or is it a little too soon to tell?

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
No one really knows about the turbo metagame right now, and I don't think it's too important to analyze it at the moment since it is totally unbalanced and will be dominated by gimmicks for a long time (possibly forever unless they spend a lot of time balancing it). It's fun, but not really strategically deep at the moment.

broliftic

Smash Cadet
Trying to revive an old thread here, but how do you guys feel about the Lucario matchup? Lucas seems to have far more finishing power, but Lucario can almost always get in his crazy canceling stuff.

Trying to revive an old thread here, but how do you guys feel about the Lucario matchup? Lucas seems to have far more finishing power, but Lucario can almost always get in his crazy canceling stuff.
Lucario's weird. Since his mechanics are aligned with Turbo Mode, he's hard to stop once he's got momentum going. So, the solution is simple: DON'T let him get momentum. Outspace him with dd or wavedashes and punish whiffed jabs/f-tilts, then go in and just beat him up with Lucas' pressure options

Inserio

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-8131-4530
The two matchups I have recently been curious about are Marth and Ness.

For some reason, I have difficulty approaching Marth with anything but PKF, and his punishes and chain grab are usually really good. At the moment, I consider it a bad matchup and opt for Link instead.
A good Ness seems to be able to out-pressure and out-destroy Lucas. i.e., Bair and Dair are potentially more lethal. He also has a chain grab that can be really difficult to prevent.

Thoughts?

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
LINK

(this is all my opinion, and totally open for debate- these aren't facts, just possible strategies and observations)

A major hurdle that comes to mind when I think of Lucas is physical projectile spam. Link, Tink, Snake, and to a lesser extent, Dedede, Diddy Kong and Peach. Even energy based spam is a nuisance if it's fast enough (Falco). Aerially, Lucas has great speed at low height, but it's hot/cold speed (fast fall, long rise) when he has to go higher or cover big distances. Since the issue here is projectiles, you can't really approach solely on the ground, where Lucas can cover large distances quickly.

Since Psi Magnet is useless against physical objects, how does Lucas maintain his approach game?

In the case of Link:

The big problem here is that Lucas's dair, which usually can be used to penetrate or out prioritize someone underneath him, can't get through a well spaced/timed Link Usmash. Additionally, you're already at a loss for losing your quick aerial approach game, and thus, that crucial dair becomes very predictable.

- Eat the bullets, get in close, try not to let the projectiles wreck your spacing and defeat the purpose entirely.
- Camp, if the stage is large enough. Put full distance between you and air cancel shoot snowflakes for full snowflake distance (very difficult to do consistently) or stand on the ground and shoot.
- Psi-Dash (is there an official name for this technique? Running jump into Snowflake -> Psi Magnet to zoom across the screen?) over the head of your enemy, come down with a Dair or Nair.
- Extremely well timed Air Dodge forward -> zair, to take advantage of the invincibility frames and then set up a combo with zair.

Once you're in...

- WATCH for the GRAB or UpB OoS! It's coming! He wants you OUT of his space!
- Get under, stay under. Link's dair isn't all it's cracked up to be. It looks cool and "feels" like it hits a lot harder than it does, but it's no more dangerous at low percentages than most other Dairs, and it doesn't combo into anything most of the time. Unless it's done out of throw (and thus unavoidable), it's very predictable, slow and wonderfully punishable. Link has very few answers for coming down on targets. Better still, Lucas's underneath game is RIDICULOUSLY good. USmash, Utilt, SHFFLed DJCUairs, SHFFLed nair... the list goes on forever. In my opinion, the key to Link is to get under him and stay under him, watching for the Dair, and NOT letting him put distance on you and allowing him to get his horizontal game active again. Picking a stage with platforms is probably what you want to do here. The platform will protect you from any physical spam that Link might throw down at you and give you time to watch out for his Dairs. If you have to go in, do so, but be watching for him to either pop you up into the air and be underneath you, or get you back at distance so he can return to spamming. If you can throw him, you should always throw Up. If he's at high percentage, it's always the right move as it will kill him, but if he's at low, it puts you underneath and him on top, which is where you want to be anyway.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'll actually write about the Marth matchup sometime in the near future. For now, here are two sets of me against Axe from this weekend's tournament that might help.
I saw you using a fair amount of approaching with a short hop Magnet--what's the advantage of this? Is it just easier to quickly jump out of for the DJC bair?

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
@ NeonApophis NeonApophis I'm having a hard time with Fox especially with his Nair, I've read over the write-up you've done but I'm still having a hard time, mostly with approaching and staying on top of him. Have you learned anything since the original post you made?

Last edited:

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that write up was pretty basic since I didn't know the match up very well at the time. I haven't had much more Fox experience since then, but I've figured out some stuff about the Falco match up which I think is actually harder because of his lasers. I'm not sure what to say about Fox's nair specifically, since it doesn't serve any really unique purpose in this match up compared to any other match up. You can outspace Fox's nair with fair, which can be djc'd and done as an approach/retreat as necessary. You can also use pkf to force approaches and start combos, since Fox can't just laser you to shut down your camping like Falco can. And then once you get him to stop moving you just need to land something and start a combo, and not drop it. They key to success against Fox is practicing combos in training mode and figuring out how to follow up in each situation so that you don't drop the combo. I use grab and up throw a decent amount at low percentage, since you can get grabs off of a lot of different things, and they have a limited and predictable range of DI options off of each of your throws (although you'll pretty much only want to use uthrow and dthrow for combos). Fox also can't really punish good shield pressure like aerial magnet -> retreating djc fair, so you have good options for approaching/pressuring. One thing to look out for is CC shine, since that shuts down your nair and holding magnet, and a lot of other moves if Fox is at low percent.
e to
If you have any videos of you playing problematic Foxes, or more specific questions, I might be able to give more useful advice, but this is my general spew about approaching Fox. The biggest difference between this match up and others is that Fox has shine oos, which lets him punish pressure that would be safe against a lot of other characters. However, you still have plenty of options to deal with this. You just have to stay safe in the neutral game, while being sufficiently aggressive that he doesn't have many opportunities to pressure your shield, since that's not a very good spot to be in even with your relatively good oos options.

Edit: Here's a way to beat Fox. Do this combo 4 times. Pkf -> DJC fair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> DJC dair -> Fsmash.

Last edited:

broliftic

Smash Cadet
- Psi-Dash (is there an official name for this technique? Running jump into Snowflake -> Psi Magnet to zoom across the screen?) over the head of your enemy, come down with a Dair or Nair.
My friends and I have taken to calling this AT "Freezegliding", what say you guys?

Also you can reverse the momentum and/or the magnet position if you screw around with it enough, that was a fun day.

Dura Mater

Smash Rookie
Anybody have any experience with the Pit matchup? I have some very limited experience but it seems like Lucas may be pretty susceptible to Pit's combos, for example: I believe he was doing a Down Throw -> Fair -> Down Throw -> Fair etc. at lower percents. I haven't had the opportunity to see if you can DI out of that yet but I just wanted to see what you guys thought about that and the matchup in general.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Ok Yars, I did a pretty detailed analysis of your first game from that set. I might do the others eventually, but this took a while, so I'm not going to do them right now.

Anyways, all my comments are time stamped. I would recommend just watching the video and thinking about each of these things as you go through it.

0:10: You did the right thing by sliding off the stage after getting shined, but you need to grab the ledge. I’m not really sure how or why you didn’t, but it’s possible you were holding down for some reason.

0:13: You can’t really up-b here. Fox could easily shine or bair you for the gimp. The angle you chose for the pkt2 was also sort of questionable, since you’re still in a position to get walled out by Fox’s bairs.

0:17: Lucas’s shield grab is pretty bad, since his grab takes so long to come out. Doing it against Fox is really risky since he can avoid it, like he did here.

0:28: This grab is also really questionable. Lucas’s grab is just so slow, it’s generally not that good to just go for raw grabs. Comboing into grab or landing it after a pkf is good, and it can be useful as a mixup during shield pressure, but just fishing for grabs isn’t usually a good idea against fast characters that can avoid you and punish the missed grab.

0:35: You did not manage your invincibility well at all this stock. It seems really unlikely that the first pkf would ever hit him given the position of the platform, and the second one was too high, but even if you waited longer so that the second one would come out lower, he still would have shielded it and you would have been in shield grab range. A lot of beating Fox is just optimizing things like this. He’s on a platform that is floating off of the stage, and you are invincible. You should be able to punish him in some way just based on those advantages. You definitely have to avoid getting punished the moment your invincibility ends. The other option besides rushing down your opponent is always to charge your neutral b, but I don’t think that would have been correct in this situation since you have such a favorable position. You just have to be patient and wait for Fox to be vulnerable, since he inevitably has to come toward the stage and try to get back on.

0:42: Good dair. You needed to b-reverse the magnet so that the release hitbox would connect. Note that although this error was pretty small, you almost ended up dying directly because of it. He could have edgehogged you with a roll, but he made a mistake and you got to live.

1:11: Good combo and edgeguard here. That was basically the optimal edgeguard.

1:22: Double jumping above an invincible Fox is kind of questionable, but it worked out here. You seemed very vulnerable when you were coming down, and he didn’t seem to expect the pkf, and you got a good conversion off of it.

1:55: Charging is better than what you did last stock, but I still think it would be optimal for you to go after Fox since he is in such a bad position. Going there with Fox is just such a big mistake and you’re not punishing him for it.

2:00 Notice that Fox’s aerials tend to beat out Lucas’s. Aerials don’t really have priority for purposes of clanking/winning, but Fox’s hitboxes are persistent while yours only come out for a short time, so he’s a lot more likely to have a hitbox that will be able to hit you when the characters collide.

2:06: That bair gave you decent coverage, but I’m pretty sure it would have missed if had done his side b in time to get the ledge.

2:13: I think you are full hopping at him too much. You’re losing most of the aerial trades that occur. Although shielding against Fox is scary it is sort of necessary. You can shield his aerials and then punish at some point during his shield pressure with pk burst or nair, or possibly other djc stuff or a grab, depending on spacing, how long you have to punish, and whether you have a charge. Dealing with shield pressure makes charging your OU a lot more valuable against Fox than it is against other characters with inferior shield pressure, which should make you favor charging during your invincibility a lot of the time. If Omni were staying on the stage, or even on the platform while it is actually partially above the stage, then you might want to charge. But if he’s just going to stand at the end of the platform way off stage, I’d go try to gimp him.

2:15: You do another full hop fair that actually hits this time, but you don’t get to convert that into a real punish since Fox landed while you were still way above him. If you had done something like a sh or djc up air, you probably could have gotten a better combo. Or just shield and punish him during one of the holes in his pressure.

2:25: I’m assuming that grab was a tech skill flub, but if not, never do that again.

2:29: That was a good edgeguard by him. You could have lived if you canceled your tether as soon as it grabbed the ledge and then airdodged again to ensure that you avoid the shine. You could also have airdodged straight up instead of at an angle, and then canceled into a magnet since the vertical airdodge would put you in position to hit him with the magnet.

2:36: This is sort of a critical position. You landed a grounded magnet on his shield, which gives you a ton of options to apply really strong shield pressure, which would be really bad for Omni since he is once against way off the stage for some reason. Various options including doing some multimagnets, which are not really that hard since you can hold the magnet if leave the ground and need to get your jumps back. This is less good in this match-up since Fox can CC shine the repeating hitboxes, so you might just want to hold the first magnet for a few repetitions, and then jc a grab, then fthrow him off the platform and gimp with fair, dair, or magnet (facing toward the stage so you send him away), depending on his positioning and how he tries to recover. You could also do a huge variety of other shield pressure strings that would also be really good. It’s really up to you, but you need to do something here instead of just jumping away after landing the magnet. One of your primary goals in the neutral game should be getting your opponent to shield, and this is more important the better they are at applying pressure, since if they’re shielding they obviously can’t really be pressuring you (except maybe in the game theoretical sense if they have a strong oos game, but that’s much easier to cope with than a Fox running around trying to hit you).

2:46: Just another time you jump at Fox and get hit for it. SH fair is not that great when he is coming down with a bair.

3:00: You do two full jump fairs that just miss, and put you in a risky situation. I’m not sure if you’re trying to do this, but it isn’t very likely to work out in your favor.

3:06: If you had L-canceled that fair you could have followed up with something like up air, and very probably gotten a kill since he’s at high damage so close to the blast zone and in a combo.

3:10: It’s really good that you go for those magnets, since not that many players do and it’s really essential against any decent opponent who will try to edgeguard you by hanging on the ledge and hitting you out of your tether. You just have to be sure not to do the magnet while they are still invincible, since this will just leave you open to getting hit with whatever edgeguard they were trying to do in the first place.

3:41: I don’t think it matters here, but you should DI Fox’s up smash away, since it doesn’t hit you straight up at a 90 degree angle, but instead at an 80 degree angle, so the optimal survival DI is to hold your analog stick 10 degrees below perfectly horizontal in the direction Fox is facing.

Some general things I noticed are that you don’t use dair enough as a punish. It’s one of your best moves for building damage, if not the best, and it keeps them close to you and lets you keep them in a combo very well. Dair is probably my most used follow up to pkf, and since you can do most things after a pkf, you know I must find dair extremely useful. Dair is also good for gimping spacies due to the long charge time and predictable trajectory of their up b’s, both of which help you land the dair and get a gimp.

You also don’t approach with aerial magnet enough. It combos into all of your aerials depending on their DI (up air generally works the best), and it’s +6 on shield, so you can do a lot of very safe shield pressure with it like aerial magnet to retreating fair.

Also, good job picking FD game 2. I’m not sure what he banned but I think FD is Lucas’s best stage in that matchup.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Thank you for the in-depth analysis, it was definitely more than I could ask for. I'm training myself to not grab in the neutral game versus Fox as well as changing up how I approach. As far as the full-hops go, I use them to feel out the opponent, but mostly I do it when I'm worried about my tech skill (I'm still learning how to play Tap Jump and this was the first tournament I used it in) and/or fall into auto-pilot. A lot of what went wrong I think was because I'm still getting used to tournaments (Weak johns, but I have serious anxiety issues, when I played Nintendude my stomach felt like it was gonna burst, I played way better against him though somehow, haha)

The rest of the matches are pretty much more of the same... Game 2 he SDs a bunch and that's pretty much how I win though I do have better gameplay in that round as well. Round 3 I SD twice...

Anyway, thanks a bunch man!

Oracle

Smash Master
Tried to play lucas vs awestin, didn't work. Im convinced thats lucas' worst matchup save maybe fox. At least you can combo fox >.>

ness's fair beats all of lucas' moves, and because of his poor oos game and cc game, you can't defend against it either without something incredibly risky. also, he gets inescapable 70%+combos and you can't combo him period. yall are lucky that every other ness player in the country is absolute **** lol

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Ness has really good dthrow combos on Lucas that might be inescapable up to a decent percentage on some stages. Plus Lucas is just generally easy to combo due his weight and fall speed. There aren't any good Ness players in AZ, so I don't know too much about the matchup, but I see how it could be a tough matchup. I'm not sure Lucas actually loses since he can actually combo Ness really hard with his standard stuff (sh dair, djc dair, and upsmash can at least theoretically be used to 0-death every character).

Oracle

Smash Master
Ness can jump out of all the setups into upsmash at kill percents besides dair, which is obviously not reliable. Dthrow cgs till 50 ish, then he gets djc uair to whatever

I imagine Ness would hit shield most often with a rising nair or DJC fair--those strike me as pretty safe options

Unless of course he just throws out PK Fire which of course is SUPER safe unless you perfect shield it

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Tried to play lucas vs awestin, didn't work. Im convinced thats lucas' worst matchup save maybe fox. At least you can combo fox >.>

ness's fair beats all of lucas' moves, and because of his poor oos game and cc game, you can't defend against it either without something incredibly risky. also, he gets inescapable 70%+combos and you can't combo him period. yall are lucky that every other ness player in the country is absolute **** lol
wait, lucas has relatively good OOS options tough. Nair, dair, fair, and burst are all usable options that are just as quick as anything ness has, and most of those options set up pretty well for you. ness's fair is also not entirely safe on shield. its -4 on block, which means you can easily roll, spot dodge, or burst to escape pressure. ness' nair, dair, and uair are all not bad shield pressure wise in terms of frame data, but a lack of range makes it hard for him to make use of those. the only shield pressure options you should have to worry about are pk fire, dtilt, and bair. if he fairs you, you should be able to escape.

also, what about magnet? thats a pretty damn good CC option. granted its not that good in this MU because ness' main approach moves (fair and pk fire) cant be CCed. but in general its still a great option.

Top Bottom