• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neku Sakuraba - Does he have a chance?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
NEKU SAKURABA

INTRODUCTION
For all of those who have played TWEWY, they know the MASSIVE amount of unique options Neku could have as a moveset, and know he would make an amazing addition, but that's not the problem. The problem is he's a third party character as he's owned by Square Enix. However, with Neku showing up in other titles such as Kingdom Hearts, the fact that SE and Nintendo are quite good friends right now, that there are going to be a few new third parties, and the fact that TWEWY was on Nintendo only console (or handeld, whatever) series ever, the chances of Neku being added if SE gets a character slot are quite high, so does he have a chance?

MOVESET OPTIONS

With over 300 different pins, all with their own abilities present in TWEWY, Neku has more that enough options to pick from when it comes to having a moveset. These are just some of the pin psyches that I feel would work well. These aren't all of my ideas, only a few, and I may add more of either my own, or other people's to this later:

SHOCKWAVE - Neku swings his hands through the air creating a small piercing blade from him fingertips. I think Shockwave could easily be implemented as his standard attacks, being used as his jabs and tilts. As it is in the game, they would combo into each other allowing for small 1-2-3 jab strings, and possibly knock up on the third hit to allow for a follow up. This would be Neku's bread and butter close combat option and would be generally fast and safe, but not have much range.

FORCE ROUNDS - An energy projectile that allows Neku to shoot glowing bullets from his hands. Could easily be used as either a Standard Special which would allow him to camp and have a good ranged zoning game. Could possibly even angle the bullets or shoot a small burst or rapid fire of bullets.

PYROKINESIS - Neku creates a stream of fire crawls across the ground and lasts for a short period of time. Could be his Side Special and allow Neku to stop approaches and control parts of the stage for short periods of time. This wont be a spammable move, nor a great punish, but will be there more to pressure your opponents and set up for more of your other attacks.

THUNDERBOLT - Neku summons a small bolt of lightning to strike an enemy in front of him. While this may at first seem like a replica of Pikachu's Down Special, it will act much more differently. It will still be a Down Special, but instead of starting far above Neku like Pikachu's Thunderbolt, it will start much closer to the ground, will pass through platforms, and will appear a short distance in front of Neku. If it connects, it will briefly stun the opponent and strike them again, stunning them again which allows Neku to follow up if the attack lands. However, even though it will come out somewhat quick, but will have a lot of lag on Neku's end, allowing an easy punish if he whiffs it.

VULCAN UPPERCUT - Neku jumps up with his hand in front of him giving him horizontal height and creating a shockwave that carries enemies with him. Basically, a shoryuken. While this wont give him much height nor allow him much forward momentum, he would be allowed to input it up to three times in succession before going into special fall, which in the end would allow him to move quite a distance both upwards and forwards. Each uppercut will pull the opponent up with multiple hits into the last hit of the uppercut, which would then launch the opponent away. While this means people would be able to DI out of it, that's why he has multiple jumps to basically catch anyone who tries to escape. It would be used both as an anti air, and Neku's main recovery move.

PSYCHOKINESIS - Neku can grab anything with his mind, and hurl it somewhere else. While this wont be a normal attack, I feel it should be influenced in his throws. For example, he could effortlessly throw someone behind him for his Back Throw, or maybe for his Down Throw he could summon a car to crush someone with, who knows?

FINAL SMASH - FUSION - Neku summons Shiki and as Neku and Mr. Mew unleash a fury of attacks all over the screen. When Neku aquires the Smash Ball, he can activate this attack. After activation, everything will instantly stop. Shiki will then appear allowing Neku and Mr. Mew to flash all around the screen and attack everything. It will hit all enemies, will go through all shields, and hit regardless of the position on the stage (although it can be dodged with a sidestep or air dodge). Due to the ease of landing it, it will do minimal damage in comparison to other final smashes, and although it can kill, wont kill until medium to high percentages.

OUTRO
Feel freetalk about anything involving Neku in this thread, whether it be his chances of inclusion, what you would like his moveset to be, or anything of the sort, just make sure the topic is Neku! Also, feel free to share anything you feel would help me improve the OP, and if I see something that I find worthy of being mentioned, I'll add it to the OP as well! So with that said, enjoy, and LETS GET OUR LITTLE EMO WARRIOR INTO SMASH 4! ;)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
he's my secret most wanted sqeenix character. screwing around with his Pin powers would be fun. and with the rumors that SSB4 may be doing something similar to the Pin system....

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Neku would be interesting, but seeing as he's Square-Enix, it's pretty much up to them. Also, there's no guarantee they'd go with Neku over other characters, like Geno, Cecil, or Terra to name a few. Still, I'd like for Neku to be in the game, though his playstyle is something that can only be guessed at. It also makes me wonder if the touch pad will somehow be used for his playstyle, whether optional or not.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Updated the OP and made it sexier, more informative, and all that fun stuff.

Junahu

Smash Ace
As much as I'd absolutely love to see Neku in Smash, I think Square-enix's first choices for a rep would be a generic Final Fantasy class, such as Black mage, or Red mage. If we see a TWEWY sequel soon then Neku would certainly become a higher priority

From a character standpoint, I worry about Neku showing up without a partner. Partners, of course, were literally the only way he could fight in TWEWY, and were the crux of the game's big message about teamwork.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
True that, maybe even the option to switch between Shiki, Beat, and Joshua and having a different move or two with each partner. I dont really think he should be another ICs, but having a partner basically stand behind you on another plane of the battlefield and basically back you up (not so much fight, but be there and do... stuff lol) would be a cool feature imo. You know what I mean :p

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You're right, that post IS sexy. Hopefully I'll be able to find a copy of this game soon..

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I could see him getting in primarily due to 2 reasons. 1. The World Ends with You was an amazing game and only on the DS. 2. He is supposedly supposed to be in the new Kingdom Hearts game as a Story character. On the 3DS. He has a Voice Actor already so I don't see why not.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
TWEWY was also ranked as one of the best DS games to be released on the system in multiple polls, which shows that people who owned the DS really enjoyed the game, so I think he has that going for him to.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I'd love for him to make it in because TWEWY was awesome and his moveset has amazing potential but sadly Square Enix will opt for a more popular character like a Dragon Quest Hero, Sora or a FF character.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Neku would be interesting, but seeing as he's Square-Enix, it's pretty much up to them. Also, there's no guarantee they'd go with Neku over other characters, like Geno, Cecil, or Terra to name a few. Still, I'd like for Neku to be in the game, though his playstyle is something that can only be guessed at. It also makes me wonder if the touch pad will somehow be used for his playstyle, whether optional or not.
So, Neku is a "Them?" Since when did he become SQUARE ENIX?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So TWEWY 2 is coming out, do you think the fact that it will most likely release within 6 or so months from smash 4's release could increase his chances?

Blazer7

Smash Rookie
I think Neku would play as a combination of Pokemon Trainer red and ice climbers becuse in order to use his pins he needs a partner left taunt switch to Shiki up taunt switch to Joshua right switch to Beat. I think Neku Final Smash would change when he a has a certain partner out at a time Shiki + Neku = fusion attack level 1. Joshua + Neku = fusion attack level 2. Beat + Neku = fusion attack level 3. Neku true Final Smash is Final Fusion this attack only can be used when Neku use a fusion attack with each his partners it can Knock Out about anyone. :) ps iam not good with spelling or typing.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Huh...glad I came in here since I wasn't previously aware of the fact that there might be a sequel in the works. TWEWY was one of my favorite DS games, and even now I'm getting feels thinking back on it. However, as much as I like Neku (even if Shiki is way cooler), I'd have to agree that I'd expect a different Square Enix rep to be selected before him. Also, I don't know how I'd feel about having his partners as playable, though being incorporated into his moveset would be fine.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So TWEWY 2 is coming out, do you think the fact that it will most likely release within 6 or so months from smash 4's release could increase his chances?
Can I have a link of this? As I just tried searching it and found zlich. Unless there is suppose to be an if in there. >_>

And as great as Neku would be to have, as great as any TWEWY character would be great to have, I would rather be able to play as Joshua, which you can probably tell from my avi. xD

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Neku would be an amazing add to the roster but alas, as much as I love his game TWEWY, as much as I support him in a Smash Bros game, I really can't hold hopes up high for him. Nothing personal against Neku, but it's just Square Enix that would kinda ruin his chances. For one, TWEWY is sadly not the most popular game, nor the most popular series nor most popular character under Square Enix's belt of games. If Square Enix ever let Neku into Smash Bros, it'd be more like a 3rd or 4th character, not a first. Neku having to compete with Sora from Kingdom Hearts and a laundry list of characters from Final Fantasy (Cloud, Sepheroth, Squal/Leon etc...), it seems more likely that if Square Enix ever decides to get involved with Smash Bros that it would put someone from KH or FF first before introducing TWEWY.
How he'd use the partner mechanic like in TWEWY also confuses me. Perhaps a character swap like Sheik/Zelda or Pokémon Trainer?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Neku would be an amazing add to the roster but alas, as much as I love his game TWEWY, as much as I support him in a Smash Bros game, I really can't hold hopes up high for him. Nothing personal against Neku, but it's just Square Enix that would kinda ruin his chances. For one, TWEWY is sadly not the most popular game, nor the most popular series nor most popular character under Square Enix's belt of games. If Square Enix ever let Neku into Smash Bros, it'd be more like a 3rd or 4th character, not a first. Neku having to compete with Sora from Kingdom Hearts and a laundry list of characters from Final Fantasy (Cloud, Sepheroth, Squal/Leon etc...), it seems more likely that if Square Enix ever decides to get involved with Smash Bros that it would put someone from KH or FF first before introducing TWEWY.
How he'd use the partner mechanic like in TWEWY also confuses me. Perhaps a character swap like Sheik/Zelda or Pokémon Trainer?
Yea... No.... Sora has much less of a chance the Neku due to 2 reasons, one Disney owning rights to Sora and not wanting Sora to participate in a fighting game, they didn't allow Sora to get put in into that one PSP crossover thing I cannot remember the name of, and having more ties to Sony then Nintendo. And there is no way a Final Fantasy character like Cloud will get in due to again being way more Sony orinated and even only appearing in one nintendo game.... That wasn't even a Final Fantasy game and had a very not so important part in the game. Now that is not to say a TWEWY character has good chances, but they certainly have bettr chances then Sora and a FF character who is more related to different systems then nintendo. If Square Enix were to get a rep a character like Chrono from Chrono Trigger or a Dragon Quest character have a better chance by far.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
My argument was merely that there was better known Square Enix games than TWEWY and that it's very likely that if Square Enix ever got involved in Smash Bros that Neku wouldn't be the first choice. KH and FF were just two examples I gave of more well known game titles published by them but that doesn't mean, nor does even imply, there wasn't others under Square Enix's belt of more known games.

My apologies if I didn't make that clear enough in my first comment

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Behold, I'm bringing life to an old thread!

With the announcement of Mewtwo for DLC, I hope more 3rd party DLC is considered as well, and if so, I'm hoping for either Neku or some Bravely Default rep (Agnès?) to be a potential Square Enix rep. Neku would of course be cooler though.

Wonder if TC's still around :c

PhiyreBawl

Smash Rookie
a counterargument to the whole "partner system" being a thing in TWEWY could be that the plane neku is fighting on happens to be the SSB world while the plane his partner is fighting on just has a bunch of noise

that or the partner of choice could just be waiting in the wings for a final smash like chrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom